PDA

View Full Version : BR340 losing lots of power

GravyTrain
08-11-2007, 10:09 PM
I bought a new Stihl BR340 at the beginning of this season from my local dealer. Over the last two weeks or so, I've noticed that the power just isn't there. I've got to run it at full throttle to get it to move just about anything. I went through the owner's manual and the first thing was to check the filter. When I pulled it off, there was gas/oil mix sitting in the bottom area, is that normal?

Also, what else should I check to try to get the power back to normal?

Grass Happens
08-11-2007, 10:16 PM
whats the spark arrester look like? Its that little screen on the muffler. Those get plugged and choke out the engine. Clean it, or buy a new one. Is that a four mix? are they equipped with a breather? if so, maybe look there.

topsites
08-11-2007, 10:25 PM
This might be better off in the Mechanic and Repair section, and I was going to recommend the first thing to do is a compression test, but I'm thinking it's something else... Because when it says check the filter, they mean more than look and see if it's there...

The fuel is likely normal, most 2-cyclers like to kick this back out through the carb, how's the air filter?
Try running it without just for a few minutes, if doing that gives you plenty of power then likely your air filter got fuel soaked, that's also normal, apparently.

jandreau
08-11-2007, 10:41 PM
I had the same problem with my Stihl blower a few weeks ago and it was the spark arrester screen pluged.

THEGOLDPRO
08-11-2007, 11:14 PM
i always take the little screens out, have done it to all my blowers, and trimmers.

WhitakerServices
08-12-2007, 12:55 AM
spark arrestor or clogged muffler, or at least that is what it was with my br340 loosing power.