PDA

View Full Version : Craftsman Kohler Command 20.5 hp Won't Turn Over

elvspec
08-12-2007, 03:41 PM
I have an older Crafstsman Lawn Tractor that I loaned to someone and it came back unable to turn over. I checked the starter and it was trashed so replaced it and motor still will not turn over. Installed a new solenoid, ignition switch and operator presence switch under the seat and still no success.
I had replaced the switch at the clutch pedal last year so don't think that's the problem.
The 30amp fuse at the solenoid is good as well as the battery.
Any clues on which direction I should go from here? Is there soemthing I'm missing?
Thanks Ahead.

Bill Kapaun
08-12-2007, 04:54 PM
Does it click or what?
Is the battery charged (and good)?
All connections cleaned?

John Stiles
08-12-2007, 08:00 PM
Did you jumper past the solenoid? Take a set of jumper cables and using only the black clamps, put one on the battery positive and then snap the other on the starter lug! If it turns over, you need a new solenoid!

elvspec
08-12-2007, 09:07 PM
Had the battery checked and all seemed good, plus charged it overnight. I put new solenoid on it just to check and nothing.
Everything is clean and good to go.
No clicking at the solenoid. The only sound I hear is a click towards the front of the motor.
Any other suggestions?

elvspec
08-12-2007, 09:30 PM
Thanks for the reply.
I did jump the starter. It spin's but doesn't engage. Swapped out the solenoid and still nothing.
When I turn the ignition switch, which is brand new as of yesterday, my amp meter doesn't move at all.
I'm all out of parts to change at this point unless there is something I'm missing.
Thanks Again.

Bill Kapaun
08-12-2007, 09:47 PM
You get a click at the front of the engine, but the ammeter doesn't move- Hmmm
The click is probably the fuel solenoid on the carb, but I'd expect the ammeter to move slightly tpward discharge.
I'm thinking fuse is blown, but the carb solenoid shouldn't work.
The fact the NEW starter spins when jumping the solenoid directly infers the ring gear is stripped.

Did you use the correct PN for the switch?
How many pin connector is the switch?
What happens when you jump 12V to the SMALL terminal on the solenoid?
What's the 917 number and approx year built? Maybe I can find a schematic.
Nice friend!

barnard
08-12-2007, 09:48 PM
Could be the safety switch normally open unless the deck is up all the way . the deck lift mechanism may not be pushing the switch completely or the switch could be bad.