PDA

View Full Version : Anyone ever use a regular box truck?

Dunn's
08-13-2007, 12:53 AM
Just wondering if any ever use regular box trucks instead of cabover. Like a van cab or truck cab, or even a bigger truck cab like an international?

All replies appreciated.

Dunn's
08-13-2007, 07:51 PM
Anyone?...................

growabiz
08-13-2007, 08:02 PM
Isuzu trucks and cab over style trucks have better turning radius and hold their value better than van style box trucks.

The warranties, frames, and reliability will give you piece of mind also.

Vikings
08-13-2007, 09:51 PM
How bout those Dodge Sprint 2500's I've been seeing around this year? I kinda like them. It looks like an enclosed trailer that you can drive.
http://i.treehugger.com/images/2007/5/24/dodge%20sprinter%202007.jpg

Dunn's
08-13-2007, 11:49 PM
Isuzu trucks and cab over style trucks have better turning radius and hold their value better than van style box trucks.

The warranties, frames, and reliability will give you piece of mind also.

How would the warraty be any different on a cabover then a regular box truck? Also to me they look not as well made as a international or oother 45-6500 size truck. Plus from what I am hearing is they don't get any better gas milage.

So is it just because they call it a landscaping truck that most by it instead of a deuce and a half style?

Also if you rear ended somebody they seem like they have no protection for your legs at all.

Plus I am pretty good with vehicle maintenance and don't sell off to many peices of equipment. So we aren't worried about resale. If it gets in that bad of shape that we need to get rid of it. It has probably made it's money back and then some, So we could just use it for target practice.

So has anyone tried the normal box truck style like say a deuce and a half? If so how did/do you like it and do you have pics.

Gravel Rat
08-14-2007, 01:13 PM
Like they say with a cab over your first on the scene of a accident :laugh:

topsites
08-18-2007, 02:59 AM
It's not unheard of, there's a mindset that an Lco HAS to have a truck, but most 1500 / 2500 / etc vans are pretty much the same dang thing, same engine and transmission, same tow ratings, all that.

The differences are in a van you'll want racks, the benefit is you get to keep your stuff locked up conveniently and out of the weather.
Roof racks for ladders work swell on vans, you won't bang your head on these.

The drawback is the smell of 2-cycle stays with you, you can't load over the side and on larger units there's no dump bed, had a friend who drove vans for some time doing lawn care, all depends what you plan to put in it, perhaps price.

lawn king
08-18-2007, 04:39 PM
Everybody ranks down cabovers until they own one!

Dunn's
08-18-2007, 05:00 PM
You all do know that most of you did not even answer my question.

lawn king
08-18-2007, 05:59 PM
I used a C30 stepvan for years, 14' olson body, it was a great work truck.

Lawnworks
08-18-2007, 06:39 PM
I don't think the domestic vans/boxtrucks are built as well as the cabovers. They are cheap, don't maintain there value, and for the most part do not have diesel engines. I would think the payload might be a concern also... I love my isuzu cabovers... excellent trucks.

Dunn's
08-18-2007, 10:28 PM
I am not looking at the van I just brung them up as well, But really looking at the bigger trucks like the deuce and a halfs. Intenernational/GMC/Volvo's there may be other but these are what I have seen.

I might be mistaken but I do not think the cab overs are built better than a deuce and a half. Could be wrong though.

Lawnworks
08-18-2007, 11:05 PM
You lost me...

Dunn's
08-18-2007, 11:31 PM
I was wondering If anyone used regular box trucks Not Boxvans. Instead of cabovers a regualr boxtruck is usually a 2 1/2 ton truck with a box on the back. You can find alot more of them used. Not just used by a lawn service that went out of business as the cabovers usually are and everyone knows that when lawn cares go out of business they want way to much for their used equipment.

Lawnworks
08-19-2007, 09:51 AM
I think such a big truck would be a mistake for lawn maintenance. I have a Isuzu frr for landscaping... and it is way to big for maintenance.

cantoo
08-19-2007, 08:33 PM
Dunn, maybe you could post a pic of the kind of truck you are talking about and then someone might answer your question better. I've thought about a straight truck but our cube van works pretty good.

Dunn's
08-19-2007, 10:01 PM
A lot like this and maybe even one size down from this