PDA

View Full Version : regulations about power washing parking lots, driveways, etc.

IndustrialGreen
08-13-2007, 01:29 AM
I have been considering adding power washing to my services, as I have a few commercial landscape maintenance accounts that could really use some cleaning of their ashpalt lots, drive thrus, etc.

Equipment and prices I can research, but what I'm having trouble with is finding out about the enviromental requirements. I mean, if I blast off an oil spot, its going into the gutter, and down the storm drain. Now, arguably thats where its mostly going to go anyway, but at a much slower pace, but is that really kosher? Is anyone aware of regulations concerning power washing effluent? I can find nothing on my state website.

FCPWLLC
08-13-2007, 09:53 AM
Nothing down storm drains except rain water. Clean Water Act. You must comply by a number of methods. Reclaiming the water for disposal at an approved site. (This method may or may not require DOT requirements for hazmat) Berming water and diverting to grassy knoll for mother nature to filter. Berming and allowing to evaporate and sweeping/vacuuming debris to take to landfill. There are expensive and inexpensive ways to comply. Knowing that it is a Law is the first step in complying.