PDA

View Full Version : Clutch Gone in less than 100 hrs.

stonedawg
08-13-2007, 10:35 AM
Do any of you have problems with your electric clutches? Mine went out less than 100 hrs. Happened Sat. while I was mowing. Had been mowing for about 4 hrs straight and it was about 100 degrees here in middle GA. Could that have toasted my clutch?? Happened last year as well!! Any tips on websites with good prices on these clutches???

jknowles4
08-13-2007, 10:52 AM
Do you start your blades at full throttle? I was told this is very hard on clutches. I always start mine at about 1/2 throttle and then throttle up.

Mike Fronczak
08-13-2007, 11:12 AM
Are your clutches ajustable? When I ran Lesco, the clutches would get out of adjustment, simple fix. I ussally get at least 500 hrs from a clutch, that is engaging at full throttle, I haven't been able to get two like answers on how to engage (what throttle).

Mowingman
08-13-2007, 12:53 PM
Heat should not be a factor. I have run clutches as much as 900hrs. in the Texas heat without a failure. Something else is wrong here if you are eating a clutch/year.

treemonkey
08-13-2007, 02:00 PM
There is a thread here about turning off your blades, related to clutch life. I think it might be in the Exmark sponser forum. I believe the consensus was that the clutch is also a brake and that it was best to idle down the engine/blades before turning off the clutch.

here's the link: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=186866&highlight=clutch

scott's turf
08-13-2007, 05:06 PM
1400 hrs and still on the original clutch. I even bought a new one last year figuring it would go at anytime and so far it is still ticking.

The Captain
08-13-2007, 05:55 PM
Check your owner's manual for a section on "air gap adjustment". Might be under the maintainence section. My Scag Turf Tiger was acting strange after prolonged cutting time. I'd disengage the blades to cross a rock driveway or street and they wouldn't engage again. After it sat a few minutes it would work like it should....until the next time. Thought I'd be buying a clutch also. I adjusted the air gap and the problem stopped. I just turned 1100 hours on mine.

Good luck....

growabiz
08-13-2007, 07:03 PM
Sometimes something as simple as a loose ground wire will cause a premature failure in the the clutches. Check your battery cable to be sure they are snug. Be sure where the ground wires mount to the frame are also snug.

If you have a bad ground it will search for the next best things which is sometimes the crankshaft--and that will burn up the windings inside the clutch.

ed2hess
08-13-2007, 07:14 PM
Apparently not big enough clutch for whatever you are doing....