PDA

View Full Version : Paver walkway with 90deg bend?

Ramairfreak98ss
08-13-2007, 07:13 PM
as the title states, Im doing a walkway with 6x6" and 6x9" alternating patterns and i want to "bend" the whole pattern around the 90deg bend. Even when i look at other companies work, theyre always just all blocked out the same direction no matter how many bends and turns there are in the walkway. Anyone have a good picture of the proper, professional way to do it?

richallseasons
08-13-2007, 08:36 PM
I dont know if this is what your looking for but I find that running the inside of the corner first, then run out toward the the outside corner and run the length at the same time gets you a nice smooth flow.

richallseasons
08-13-2007, 08:39 PM
heres another look from the long way

ChampionLS
08-13-2007, 11:24 PM
We usually pull a string line outward from a fixed stake to get an even radius. It will give you the same inside curve as for the outside curve.

Zikes!... get that Home Depot Drier Vent looking thinggy outta there. it says Homeowner Heaven on it!!

Ramairfreak98ss
08-14-2007, 12:15 AM
thanks richall...

I know companies sell kits on pallets that are specific for bends and similar to your picture you have above, theyre different sizes. My problem i think is mainly how im trying to turn the block, that is perfectly square and rectangular and at the same time not leave any gaps lol.

Im just going to have to cut some into the outter edge of a "W" shape instead of 6x6" squares, this ones for my own house and i figured i can try something different, only i got hung up a few hours into the job already:dizzy:

Humble Earth Mover
08-14-2007, 09:56 AM
NOOOO....don't turn your pavers with the bend unless you are doing a running bond pattern! Lay them like the bend doesn't exist. Stay square. Sounds like you are doing an "I" pattern...the whole pattern will stay the same as you come around the turn. Overlay the whole thing, then cut in the border. Use a speed square and string line to keep straight and square. See the pics.....they are herringbone patterns, but it's the same principle.

BTW - What do you mean by cut something "W" shaped? Are you trying to fill the gaps left by turning the pavers off square? Can you post a pic?

richallseasons
08-14-2007, 07:48 PM
thanks richall...

I know companies sell kits on pallets that are specific for bends and similar to your picture you have above, theyre different sizes. My problem i think is mainly how im trying to turn the block, that is perfectly square and rectangular and at the same time not leave any gaps lol.

Im just going to have to cut some into the outter edge of a "W" shape instead of 6x6" squares, this ones for my own house and i figured i can try something different, only i got hung up a few hours into the job already:dizzy:

Ram, thats no kit, thats all me and dont get me wrong I also agree with Humble as I have done plenty like that also, I guess it just depends on the material, the customer needs and wants, the pattern and your skill level. Take your time and Im sure youll work it out.

YardPro
08-14-2007, 08:22 PM
richallseasons....

those are some pretty crooked bond lines....

cgland
08-14-2007, 08:37 PM
.....and the radii are real choppy!

Chris

Woodland
08-14-2007, 08:47 PM
Might look odd with small pavers in a pattern, but here is what I did with some 16" slabs.

Ramairfreak98ss
08-14-2007, 08:49 PM
Heres a picture, the last set is just placed for viewing. As ive been told now, what im trying to do really isnt feasible. Because of the alternating pattern, there is really no way that this can "bend" like i want it to and keep the pattern and nice shape?

Im probably just going to square it out and do like normal and act like the bend isnt even there and then cut all the edges. Since its my house i figured id do something different :cry:

richallseasons
08-14-2007, 08:56 PM
Thanx Yard,CG that was one of my first walks, not so good not so bad

richallseasons
08-14-2007, 08:57 PM
Heres a picture, the last set is just placed for viewing. As ive been told now, what im trying to do really isnt feasible. Because of the alternating pattern, there is really no way that this can "bend" like i want it to and keep the pattern and nice shape?

Im probably just going to square it out and do like normal and act like the bend isnt even there and then cut all the edges. Since its my house i figured id do something different :cry:

ya your not going to turn that one....

mrusk
08-14-2007, 09:13 PM

Do some reading up on proper installation before you venture out to a customers house to install pavers. PM me if u ever have any questions.

Grn Mtn
08-14-2007, 10:36 PM
as the title states, Im doing a walkway with 6x6" and 6x9" alternating patterns and i want to "bend" the whole pattern around the 90deg bend. Even when i look at other companies work, theyre always just all blocked out the same direction no matter how many bends and turns there are in the walkway. Anyone have a good picture of the proper, professional way to do it? This is a proper and professional way to do it.
thanks richall...

I know companies sell kits on pallets that are specific for bends and similar to your picture you have above, theyre different sizes. these are for circles My problem i think is mainly how im trying to turn the block, that is perfectly square and rectangular and at the same time not leave any gaps lol.

Im just going to have to cut some into the outter edge of a "W" shape instead of 6x6" squares, this ones for my own house and i figured i can try something different, only i got hung up a few hours into the job already:dizzy: Yes this is what you would need to do, but very time consuming

here ya go...

paponte
08-15-2007, 06:36 AM
I personally wouldn't do it, but if you really wanted to a very easy 45 miter would make this thread a heck of alot shorter. :rolleyes:

zedosix
08-15-2007, 08:45 AM
Ram, thats no kit, thats all me and dont get me wrong I also agree with Humble as I have done plenty like that also, I guess it just depends on the material, the customer needs and wants, the pattern and your skill level. Take your time and Im sure youll work it out.

That just looks wrong. You would of saved so much time by just flowing the small walkway and not cutting. It would of looked a darn site better. We all make mistakes and thats how we learn though.

Ramairfreak98ss
08-15-2007, 11:16 PM
grn mtn, thanks for the mockup picture, after i thought about it it seemed as though it would come out how your picture looks, :p so theres an easy visual of how bad it would look if it were done "correctly" i guess. Im just going to keep everything going the same way as normal and finish it that way:)

ChampionLS
08-16-2007, 12:33 AM
You guys are killin me. All you need to do is use a circle kit to flow your curves. NO cutting, NO twisting, NO fixed patterns. Just flow your design.

Heres some examples:

Grn Mtn
08-16-2007, 11:02 PM
grn mtn, thanks for the mockup picture, after i thought about it it seemed as though it would come out how your picture looks...:) just trying to save ya a little agravation, been there done that.You guys are killin me. All you need to do is use a circle kit to flow your curves. NO cutting, NO twisting, NO fixed patterns. Just flow your design.

Heres some examples:

Okay, wow. couple questions. Is that your showroom? Are the pavers glued or on sand.

If your using a circle kit to help flow the walk without the gaps getting large then your probably only using the trapazoid pieces right? seems like kind of a waste or are you finding that if you save them you can use the rest on another project?

paponte
08-17-2007, 11:30 AM
Okay, wow. couple questions. Is that your showroom? Are the pavers glued or on sand.

If your using a circle kit to help flow the walk without the gaps getting large then your probably only using the trapazoid pieces right? seems like kind of a waste or are you finding that if you save them you can use the rest on another project?

No, thats Giuseppe Abbrancati's showroom, as is the driveway also.

mrusk
08-17-2007, 11:39 AM
Must of been a pain doing the showroom floor. Having to carry all the pavers outside to make the cuts!

ChampionLS
08-19-2007, 02:16 PM
Yes, these photos are examples from Giusepe Abbrancati. He has really mastered the art of flowing pavingstones. It's really not that hard. If you use all trapezoid pieces (most circle kits are) you can easily "flow" the pattern on curves or straight runs. Almost the same as alternating caps on a retaining wall. His work really stands out.

Champ