PDA

View Full Version : Bermuda Grass - which walk behind mower?

bschedle
08-13-2007, 09:32 PM
Hello and thanks for taking time to read my question.
I have about 3/4 of an acre of Celebration Bermuda grass and am currently using a Honda HRT216 to cut the yard. The mower seems to bog down in areas and I searched on the internet to find some suggestions on why.
The first thread mentioned a dull blade as the possible reason but I am using a new blade and have not hit anything like rocks, branches, etc. when cutting. I don't think this is the issue.
The second thread mentioned the rotary mower as the culprit and suggested a reel mower as the solution for thick grass. The post suggested Tru-cut or California Trimmer as good reel mowers. With further searching on reel mowers, I found a suggestion that neither of the above is really the best solution. The last suggestion I have is to use a Jacobsen reel mower.
I am considering purchasing a used but rebuilt Jacobsen mower. Any suggestions would be appreciated.
R/ Bruce A. Schedler

cgaengineer
08-14-2007, 03:14 AM
You need power to cut thick bermuda. Are you trying to cut off more than 1/3 by any chance? If so you need to cut more frequently, sometimes every 4-5 days during the growing season. A rotary mower should do well and unless your lawn is really smooth, a reel mower may not do a good job. I would wait for more input before buying a reel mower as the maintenance on one is not very easy.

bschedle
08-14-2007, 11:53 AM
cgaengineer, thank you for the reply.
I do not know how much I am cutting and will have to measure next time I cut. But, I cut the evening of every 4th day and put .5 inches of water down the next morning.
The yard is not smooth and has a few tree stumps. But, I am removing the stumps and plan on bringing in sand to level the yard.

R/ bschedle

cgaengineer
08-14-2007, 12:01 PM
With sand being used to level you may be able to use a reel mower. It sounds to me like you are keeping on top of the cutting unless you are really pouring the fertilizer to it. I myself wouldnt choose a reel mower unless my lawn was like a baseball field and even then I would still use a rotary...I just dont want the maintenance required for the reel mower.

bschedle
08-14-2007, 12:44 PM
cgaengineer,
Again thank you for the reply. I appreciate the feedback.

R/ bschedle