PDA

View Full Version : Welded throttle cable?

fixer67
08-14-2007, 12:15 AM
Got a Walker diesel in the shop. MDDGHS model. The throttle cable is WELDED. The cable is welded to the casing. I have never seen this before. I know how it happened and will tell after a few of you guess. HINT: it is real simple.

Birdhunter1
08-14-2007, 12:25 AM
I'm betting someone had welded somewhere on the unit or there was a short and it grounded through the throttle cable.

fixer67
08-14-2007, 12:43 AM
I'm betting someone had welded somewhere on the unit or there was a short and it grounded through the throttle cable.

You are on the right track.

newz7151
08-14-2007, 01:08 AM
Or somebody wasn't watching what they were doing and allowed it to cross the battery?

fixer67
08-14-2007, 01:33 AM
Or somebody wasn't watching what they were doing and allowed it to cross the battery?

You are close.

DOLMARatOS
08-14-2007, 01:46 AM
Poor engine ground pathway and the current flowed through the throttle to the frame?

fixer67
08-14-2007, 02:05 AM
Poor engine ground pathway and the current flowed through the throttle to the frame?

You are the closest so far
You are RED HOT

DOLMARatOS
08-14-2007, 02:09 AM
I can really see the issue after reading the original post. Engine mounted on rubber and the ground strap failed. Current travels through the throttle cable to the tractor frame where the battery is grounded.

fixer67
08-14-2007, 02:32 AM
I can really see the issue after reading the original post. Engine mounted on rubber and the ground strap failed. Current travels through the throttle cable to the tractor frame where the battery is grounded.

I am going to give it to you as you are the closest.
No rubber mounts on this engine. It bolts straight to the frame. On the Walker the front body where the seat is tilts forward. The catcher tilts backward to dump. See picture. The MDDGHS takes 300 amps to start it. I have check it before. The battery was dead so the man tried to jump start it. He hooked the HOT to the battery which is under the front body. He then made the mistake. He hooked the ground to the raise front body. The front body is very poor ground. I have had to run an extra ground for light kit. It is only mounted to the main frame by to bolts that are part of the hinge. When he turned the key he sent 300 amps though the throttle cable and turned it red hot. It is a wonder it did not weld the parking brake cables as well. Be careful where you hook your jumper cable

cranesrule
08-14-2007, 08:26 PM
Good stuff!

Restrorob
08-14-2007, 09:48 PM
Since this thread is about batteries/grounds I have a story.

Last Thursday I was hooking the battery cables up on a brand new 4 wheeler we sold. The battery was located in the center lower frame behind the front fender/tire. I reached in and grabbed the neg cable with my left hand while reaching around the fender with my right to start the screw. My watch band hit the pos post on the battery, The sweat on my arm completed the circuit.

It didn't take but seconds to fuse three band links together and melted one side of a another link.

I now sport a 1/2" wide 2nd degree burn wrapping the entire inside of my wrist and my right thumb from trying to get the dam thing off.

Word of CAUTION !!! Be careful working around batteries while sweating. They can/will lite you up !

newz7151
08-14-2007, 11:50 PM
Since this thread is about batteries/grounds I have a story.

Last Thursday I was hooking the battery cables up on a brand new 4 wheeler we sold. The battery was located in the center lower frame behind the front fender/tire. I reached in and grabbed the neg cable with my left hand while reaching around the fender with my right to start the screw. My watch band hit the pos post on the battery, The sweat on my arm completed the circuit.

It didn't take but seconds to fuse three band links together and melted one side of a another link.

I now sport a 1/2" wide 2nd degree burn wrapping the entire inside of my wrist and my right thumb from trying to get the dam thing off.

Word of CAUTION !!! Be careful working around batteries while sweating. They can/will lite you up !

Some people need to have that happen to them a couple of times until they get why you are not supposed to be wearing watches and rings while working around equipment or electrical.

thecrankshaft
08-15-2007, 10:53 AM
DC voltage can weld.

Eric D
08-15-2007, 11:44 AM
Fixer67,

Very interesting post! Thanks for sharing!

Eric D