PDA

View Full Version : SCAG 27 HP SHUTS OFF / Loses Power

M-ALFARO
08-13-2007, 11:17 PM
Scag 27 HP Kawi loses power:
It is a liquid cool 27 hp kawi, Zero Turn 61" Deck
1. Starts up with no problem
2. It can be on and working just fine all day long with no load.
3. It pushes just fine and strong with no load
4. After a 3-5 min with the blades on it starts to lose power.
5. If I turn blades off... it struggles and it dies.
6. Right after it dies, I can start it up with no problem, work it for another 3 min and starts dying again.
7. I took it to my service dealer 2 times already and first they said the gas tank was dirty so they cleaned it, second time they said the carb was dirty so they cleaned it.
8. After the machine kept on doing the same thing I decided to lay a hand on it. I check the valves, valves are ok ( took the whole block out both sides and valves are fine ) Changed both coils ( No. 1 and No. 2 ) Changed both spark plugs. Now i have noticed that the muffler gets RED HOT. I am assuming the machine starts loosing power because it gets too hot, but what i don't know is what is causing to overheat. ( by the way, the gauge of the temp will not reach the overheating point ). The volt gauge marks 0 when machine on ( right in the middle -10!!!!0!!!!10 ).

Any suggestions about what might be wrong with this monster???

I would greatly appreciate any help!!!

twj721
08-14-2007, 12:55 AM
To me sounds like you might have a voltage regulator problem

grassman256
08-14-2007, 08:49 AM
I had a troy-built with a brigs on it that done close to the same thing one time and it sheared the key in the flywheel and was off time. hope it helps good luck

Tagg
08-14-2007, 12:36 PM
Excellent support on their product. 920-387-3150 . The phone will answer Metalcraft, but just ask for Scag Tech Support. Sometimes they may not have the exact answer for a Kawi question but will have a very good idea of what the problem cause is. Kawi service tech support is almost useless in my opinion .

M-ALFARO
08-14-2007, 01:44 PM
thank you for the replies i greatly appreciate you guys taking the time to read and try to give me a solution. I call the number and got transfered to the tech but he was in lunch, hopefully he call me back.

Thanks again, have a great day!!!

twj721
08-14-2007, 02:43 PM
thank you for the replies i greatly appreciate you guys taking the time to read and try to give me a solution. I call the number and got transfered to the tech but he was in lunch, hopefully he call me back.

Thanks again, have a great day!!!

They will defintely give you a call back. more than likely less than 24 hrs .

Restrorob
08-14-2007, 07:40 PM
A baffle broken loose inside the muffler causing a exhaust flow restriction could cause the symptoms you explained.

M-ALFARO
06-21-2008, 11:01 PM
I'VE TOOK MY MACHINE TO A HOLLAND (skid steers, tractors, etc) SHOP TO GET IT CHECKED OUT, THE MECHANIC SAID HE HAD SOME EXPERIENCE IN SMALL ENGINES, A WEEK PASSED MECHANIC CALLED TO SAY HE WAS STILL WORKING ON IT, AFTER GOOD 3 WEEKS AND THE MACHINE COMPLETLY CHECKED HE FOUND OUT THIS WAS CAUSING THE FREAKING PROBLEM:

ONE OF THE CILYNDER WALLS (where the piston moves up and down) FOR SOME REASON WAS DAMAGED CAUSING THE FRICTION TO RAISE THE TEMP IN THE ENGINE AND CAUSING THE ENGINE TO LOOSE POWER WHEN THE LOAD WAS APPLIED BRINGING IT TO A SLOW DYING (choking like). HE SAID HE REPAIRED THE CYLINDER WALL AND "WALLA" THE MACHINE IS WORKING BETTER THAN NEW!!!

THE MECHANIC TOOK REAL INTEREST ON THIS MACHINE DUE TO THE SYMTHOMPS EXPLAINED ON MY FIRST POST. AFTER BRINGING THE MACHINE TWICE TO THE FOR REPAIR I REALLY DOUBT IT WAS EVER GONNA GET FIXED. I AM POSTING THIS REPLY HOPING TO HELP SOMEBODY OUT THERE WITH THE SAME PROBLEM WITH THIS MACHINE.

ONE THING I WANT TO MENTION IS THAT THE MACHINE WORKED A LITTLE LONGER CUTTING GRASS WHEN I DID NO FULL THROTTLE (about 75%) I GUESS IT JUST TOOK LONGER TO RAISED THE TEMP IN THE ENGINE.

WELL WE HAVE OVER 50 ZERO TURN RIDERS IN OUR COMPANY AND THAT WAS A CHALLENGE WITH THIS ONE. I WANT TO SAY THANKS TO THE MECHANIC FOR THE EXCELLENT JOB HE DID ON THIS ZERO TURN.

THANKS GUYS FOR ALL THE HELP AND HAVE A GREAT DAY!!!

P.S. IF IT CAN BE TOUCHED... IT WILL BRAKE!!!