PDA

View Full Version : New Kohler Engine Won't Start.

mexiking
08-13-2007, 11:23 PM
Hi I just finished mounting a new Kohler Courage sv600 20 hp Engine on a 48" encore. Engine fit in fine, the shaft of engine fit fine in pulleys, and I put in new spark plug, Correct Oil level. I bought a 12v Garden tractor Battery and connected it directly w/ the starter and it Cranks but the engine won't start. I checked everything I can think off and It wont start at ALL. I also checked the fuel pump and it works. Can I get any help ?

fixer67
08-13-2007, 11:36 PM
What about power to the fuel solenoid on the carb? Did you run power to it?

khouse
08-13-2007, 11:43 PM
spark? .....

mexiking
08-14-2007, 06:45 AM
won't giving power on the starter give them power? Sparkplug is good ...

khouse
08-14-2007, 08:36 AM
No. You have to pull the wire off of the spark plug. Then stick a screw driver in the plug boot and then hold the metal shaft of the screw driver 1/4 inch from any metal part of the engine. Then crank and look for a spark to jump the gap. Or you can use a spark tester. Make sure your holding the handle of the screw driver or you might get shocked.

mexiking
08-14-2007, 06:46 PM
and what's that going to do khouse? start it up or to give power to fuel solenoid?

khouse
08-14-2007, 09:30 PM
I just wanted you to check for spark. Maybe the kill switch or wiring is incorrect. Just covering the basics.

jdmaninlouky
08-14-2007, 10:00 PM
Check Those Three Things And You Can't Go Wrong !!! Some Kohler Motors Have Elecronic Spark Advance (s.a.m.) That Must Be Powered Up With 12v + Or The Ignition Modules Will Not Work Period!!! Also As The Other Gentleman Said , The Fuel Solenoid (if So Equipped) Also Needs Power So It Will Let Gas Go Into The Main Jet . S0, Just Running The Starter Is Not Likely To Cut It Any More Like It Did With The Old Magnums Of Yesterday. Todays Engines Are More Complex In Design And Require More Than Just Spinning The Motor To Get 'em Hummin'.
Hope This Helps;
Dave

mexiking
08-14-2007, 10:04 PM
thanks, i'll get some pics so I can get better help from you guys and welcome to lawnsite man

mexiking
08-18-2007, 09:15 PM
GOt it running, was able to test it in one Hoouse, cuts good throws grass farther, engine runs strong... I only used it for one house because i need to change a wheel on it thats messed up. I also don't have the correct muffler, I just adapted the one from the old engine but it looks like its in a weird angle.. Anyhow, I'll be posting pics when i'm fully done with it,, thanks for all the help