PDA

View Full Version : front wheels seem too long to me. pics

grass disaster
08-14-2007, 01:57 AM
i demoed a hustler super z 66" deck(just like pictured).

i can't get over the fact that the frame feels so big compared to my kubota(just like pictured). the front casters on the hustler seem like they stick out too far.

i've been looking at other brands too and they seem to have the same set-up. they feel too long to me.

can someone explain why this is?

i've been looking for a new 54" z i just can't find a mower that i like. i'm starting to get real disappointed
i liked the hustler i just wish it was about 10" shorter and they brought those front wheels in a little.

grass disaster
08-14-2007, 01:58 AM
here is the mower i currently use. it seems more stout

swingset
08-14-2007, 02:19 AM
Stupid question, but if you're happier with the setup of the Kubota, why not buy another one?

grass disaster
08-14-2007, 02:21 AM
Stupid question, but if you're happier with the setup of the Kubota, why not buy another one?

because they no longer sell this model. their new model is too heavy for me.

puppypaws
08-14-2007, 03:32 AM
i demoed a hustler super z 66" deck(just like pictured).

i can't get over the fact that the frame feels so big compared to my kubota(just like pictured). the front casters on the hustler seem like they stick out too far.

i've been looking at other brands too and they seem to have the same set-up. they feel too long to me.

can someone explain why this is?

i've been looking for a new 54" z i just can't find a mower that i like. i'm starting to get real disappointed
i liked the hustler i just wish it was about 10" shorter and they brought those front wheels in a little.

Measure the total length of the Hustler and the same on your Kubota and tell us the difference. I run the Super Z and can do anything with it you do with the Kubota, just faster. You get use to the length and never notice it again.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
08-14-2007, 09:00 AM
I've been running Hustler for 7 years... I believe they began making their units longer when the xr-7 came out. If you want a shorter machine, try finding an 06 or earlier, pre-xr-7 unit. But, keep in mind that the longer wheelbase adds a level of security while going up or down hills.

puppypaws
08-14-2007, 11:08 AM
I've been running Hustler for 7 years... I believe they began making their units longer when the xr-7 came out. If you want a shorter machine, try finding an 06 or earlier, pre-xr-7 unit. But, keep in mind that the longer wheelbase adds a level of security while going up or down hills.

It is the way the machines are built that makes them look so much different. They are deceiving when you look at these lengths.

2005---60" Super is 75" long

2007---60" XR-7 Super is 78" long

2007---66" XR-7 Super is 80" long

jameson
08-14-2007, 11:16 AM
It is the way the machines are built that makes them look so much different. They are deceiving when you look at these lengths.

Overall length of the ZD18 is: 80.3"

http://www.kubota.ca/files/products/ACF527.pdf

jhsmith4
08-14-2007, 11:37 AM
I have a 06 Super Z 25/54 XR7 with less than 15hrs for sale. If interested call 478-955-8101, jeff:dancing:

jhsmith4
08-14-2007, 11:44 AM
I have a 06 Super Z 25/54 XR7 with less than 15hrs for sale. If interested call 478-955-8101, jeff:dancing:

puppypaws
08-14-2007, 03:39 PM

I am glad you put that in your post, that confirms what I said, by looks he thinks the Super Z is longer than what he is use to but the reality is in the numbers.

puppypaws
08-14-2007, 03:43 PM

Why do you not like the mower or are you selling it because like me there is no grass to cut, the trees are dieing here it is so dry and hot.

grass disaster
08-14-2007, 04:12 PM
i too am wondering why you want to sell. you can pm me if you would prefer

02DURAMAX
08-14-2007, 04:46 PM
Buy a 52" Stander.....Much Shorter than both:rolleyes: :dancing: :dancing:

tacoma200
08-14-2007, 05:44 PM
Its not so much that the Super Z is long, its the Kubota is short. I find many advantages to a longer mower. They ride better and track straiter on larger jobs. It's hard to beat the Hustler for ride and handling. I have found that when I went from one type of mower to another there is an ajustment period but after 50 hrs in the seat it will seem normal to you. If you are doing very small lawns I can see why you would want a shorter ZTR. I couldn't stand the lack of trimming on a 54" Super Z though. The frame works much better with a 60" deck. My Scag is long and I like it that way even though it seemed odd after being on the Exmark. But the Exmark is more manueverable in tight small properties. I guess it's a trade off. Good luck.

lawnspecialties
08-14-2007, 05:59 PM
I have both a 60" SuperZ and a 66". The 66" is undoubtedly longer. But remember, longer blades mean slightly more width and length to a deck. The 66" frame I think helps a lot in keeping deck lean down to a minimum.

You think it's long? Look at the back of the machine's wheel width. The offset rims plus a wider stance actually makes my 66" unit's trim capabilities far less than my 60".:confused:

puppypaws
08-14-2007, 06:03 PM
[QUOTE=tacoma200;1929689]Its not so much that the Super Z is long, its the Kubota is short. I find many advantages to a longer mower. They ride better and track straiter on larger jobs. trade off.

That is just it the ZD18 is longer than the Hustler's, looks are deceiving.
Quote:

Originally Posted by puppypaws

Envy Lawn Service
08-16-2007, 03:37 AM
I think what the original poster is referring to is wheelbase.

Hustler extended the wheelbase quite a bit, I think to be "more like" other brands.
This allowed them some room behind the deck for a stripe roller, etc...

Then, the 66" needs a longer wheelbase than the Kubota because the deck is longer... longer comes along with wider.

Plus, this is compounded from an operator perspective due to the differences in SEAT PLACEMENT and footplate design... and also the front tires on the Kubota are also tighter to the front of the deck.

I noticed exactly the same thing when I spent some time on a 60" Chariot LX.
It bugged me and after inspection, I realized it was made this way so the same frame could also house a 72" deck.

Envy Lawn Service
08-16-2007, 03:44 AM

15 hours?

Why is it for sale?

I have to assume it suffers from the cut quality issues the larger XR7's do?

Bagit
08-16-2007, 06:20 AM
Yes, Envy is right. Its the caster wheel distance from the deck that is bugging grass disaster. I have cut with a zg 20 kubota several times and see his point. This allows you to cut closer to objects in front of you. Over all i liked the kubota and never had an issue w/cut quality because of the slower blade tip speed.

jhsmith4
08-16-2007, 06:29 AM
I'm selling mainly b/c I have a 48" Trimstar and have a opportunity to pickup a JD935 Front mount with low hrs. The cut is great and theres plenty of power on this Hustler! Call with any ?s 478-955-8101

Juan_Deere
08-16-2007, 11:22 AM
They are probably that long in order to accomodate some of the larger decks. Same frame different decks, costs less money to make, than different frames AND different decks. The more commonality there is on your assembly line, the more money you save in production costs.

FIRESCOOBY
08-16-2007, 02:54 PM
I'm selling mainly b/c I have a 48" Trimstar and have a opportunity to pickup a JD935 Front mount with low hrs. The cut is great and theres plenty of power on this Hustler! Call with any ?s 478-955-8101

Sent you a PM

grass disaster
08-16-2007, 06:12 PM
well i'm glad to see i'm not the only one that thinks it's too long.

puppypaws
08-16-2007, 07:07 PM
well i'm glad to see i'm not the only one that thinks it's too long.

Measure your's and see what the measurement is from the very front protrusion to the back of the rear tire. The 66" XR-7 is 72" and it is 13" from the front of the mower to the front of the deck.

Envy said you were talking about wheel base, that is what he said not what you said. Your mower is 80.3" long and the 66" XR-7 is 80" long according the both manufacture's specs, now you tell me which one is longer. Where I went to school 80.3" is longer than 80", just because yours sits higher and the seat is farther back on the Hustler does not make the length change from what it actually measures.

It is what you call a figment of the imagination.

puppypaws
08-16-2007, 07:21 PM
I think what the original poster is referring to is wheelbase.

Then, the 66" needs a longer wheelbase than the Kubota because the deck is longer... longer comes along with wider.

Plus, this is compounded from an operator perspective due to the differences in SEAT PLACEMENT and footplate design... and also the front tires on the Kubota are also tighter to the front of the deck.

He said nothing about wheel base, the length of the mower is what it is and the ZD18 at 80.3" is longer than the 66" XR-7 at 80". Seat placement on the Hustler and the height of the ZD18 confuses the mind but will not change the lengths of the mowers.

The seat is 42" back from the front of the mower on the Super Z that and the lower profile makes the mind think there is a big difference in what you are seeing in front of you but it can't change the length measurement.

grass disaster
08-16-2007, 07:47 PM
yes i should have said is, the front wheels are too far away and apart from the front of the deck.

puppypaws
08-16-2007, 09:01 PM
yes i should have said is, the front wheels are too far away and apart from the front of the deck.

When I went from the 2005 Super Z to the newer style it looked different from the seat but the Hustler has never had the high profile where you are sitting higher and looking straight down over the front of the mower. I got use to the difference in about 5 minutes and it rode a lot better especially with the flex forks.

I ran a Bad Boy Lightening for about a month and it sits higher, you are looking down over a snub front end. I would have bet my Super Z was a foot longer looking at the mowers separate but when I put a tape measure to each one the length was not enough difference to even remember, the exact measurements are in this forum.

I will guarantee you the Hustler rides and handles as good as any mower made. The Bad Boy company said their's was the best riding mower on the market because it has 4 wheel torsion rubber suspension. I will say it did ride good but not as soft as the Super Z with flex forks and the flex seat. You are sitting up more over the front end like your ZD18 and feel more jar with bumps you hit where the seat is back a little and lower to take more of that feeling out on the Super Z.

I'm going to get my hands on a Ferris one day for a comparison of their suspension.

grass disaster
08-16-2007, 09:11 PM
When I went from the 2005 Super Z to the newer style it looked different from the seat but the Hustler has never had the high profile where you are sitting higher and looking straight down over the front of the mower. I got use to the difference in about 5 minutes and it rode a lot better especially with the flex forks.

I ran a Bad Boy Lightening for about a month and it sits higher, you are looking down over a snub front end. I would have bet my Super Z was a foot longer looking at the mowers separate but when I put a tape measure to each one the length was not enough difference to even remember, the exact measurements are in this forum.

I will guarantee you the Hustler rides and handles as good as any mower made. The Bad Boy company said their's was the best riding mower on the market because it has 4 wheel torsion rubber suspension. I will say it did ride good but not as soft as the Super Z with flex forks and the flex seat. You are sitting up more over the front end like your ZD18 and feel more jar with bumps you hit where the seat is back a little and lower to take more of that feeling out on the Super Z.

I'm going to get my hands on a Ferris one day for a comparison of their suspension.

this may be true. i'm going to have to demo one for a day or 2 to be convinced.

it may just need some getting used to.

puppypaws
08-16-2007, 09:26 PM
this may be true. i'm going to have to demo one for a day or 2 to be convinced.

it may just need some getting used to.

The Hustler operated so much easier when I got back on it from running the Bad Boy it felt broken but that is not a good or bad thing, it is just what you get use to.

Get them to let you try a Super Z with the flex forks and you may not let them take it back. Put somebody on your ZD18 and you run the Super Z then come back and tell me the difference, you can probably cut 40% more grass.

If you watched me mow it would blow your mind how much grass I can cut in an hour.

You have to mow at a lower cutting height to utilize all the speed of the Super Z.

grass disaster
08-16-2007, 09:48 PM
i'll have to try a regular z. i didn't really care for the sound the pumps make on the super z. i don't really think i can mow at 15 mph anyway. does the regular z (wine/humm) like the super z?

puppypaws
08-16-2007, 09:58 PM
i'll have to try a regular z. i didn't really care for the sound the pumps make on the super z. i don't really think i can mow at 15 mph anyway. does the regular z (wine/humm) like the super z?

I would say probably not, a friend of mine bought a new Hustler Z and had it about three months. He came over and cut with my Super Z, the next day they delivered a 66" XR-7 with the 28 efi to him and picked up his regular Z.

He is constantly telling me at church that the Super Z is far better than the one he had and how much time he cut off of his mowing.

I can't half hear from shooting all my life like a idiot without ear plugs but I've never noticed any thing about the hydraulics that bother me with noise.

I don't know what kind of property you mow, flat, hilly, large open areas or small cluttered areas, that makes a lot of difference.

grass disaster
08-16-2007, 10:08 PM
I would say probably not, a friend of mine bought a new Hustler Z and had it about three months. He came over and cut with my Super Z, the next day they delivered a 66" XR-7 with the 28 efi to him and picked up his regular Z.

He is constantly telling me at church that the Super Z is far better than the one he had and how much time he cut off of his mowing.

I can't half hear from shooting all my life like a idiot without ear plugs but I've never noticed any thing about the hydraulics that bother me with noise.

I don't know what kind of property you mow, flat, hilly, large open areas or small cluttered areas, that makes a lot of difference.

mostly residential. a few commercial. been diong some empty lots too with very tall weeds.

this is one of my biggest properties.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=161813

most are like this or smaller.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=184347

i do these all with the 54" zd

Envy Lawn Service
08-16-2007, 10:39 PM
Some of it is optical illusion because of seat placement and platform design.

But some of it is also wheelbase.
As you can see here, the ZD 18 has a short wheelbase, just over 4 feet.
Plus the front tires are tucked close to the front of the deck.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=86890&stc=1&d=1187071082

This is not so on the new Hustlers.
The wheelbase is a lot longer and there is more distance between the front tires and deck.

The two units have the same length because the kubota has an inline 3 cylinder diesel engine bay sticking out beyond the rear tires, where on the other hand, the hustler has very little rear end out behind the tires.

Fork placement becomes an operator 'sore spot' once an operator gets used to something. When the forks aren't where you are used to them being, it becomes an annoyance quickly when you are mowing and trimming a lot of lawns as opposed to a lot of open farm areas.

One gets used to trimming around things with the casters being in a certain spot, and one gets used to the 'swing arc' when turning as well. It takes a good while to adjust to something laid out totally different.

I understand the feeling well because when it comes to running ZTR's I've become pretty accustomed to short machines. My biggest mower is only about 6 feet long with a wheelbase of 4 feet. In comparison to other brand machines, length-wise it's about the size of a 48" mini. Nice for tight spots and also very good for rolling terrain (less scalps).

puppypaws
08-16-2007, 10:42 PM
mostly residential. a few commercial. been diong some empty lots too with very tall weeds.

this is one of my biggest properties.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=161813

most are like this or smaller.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=184347

i do these all with the 54" zd

What is the cutting height on the bigger property, it is beautiful and flat but you need that size property to really appreciate the speed of the Super.

The smaller property is suitable for the regular Hustler, if the smaller property is mainly what you cut that would be the mower of choice in the Hustler line.

The higher cutting heights (3.5") used on plush grass is probably more suited to the Exmark Ultracut.

My cutting purposes could not be handled by anything better than the faster Super Z because I mow larger open areas at 2.75" and it will do an excellent job at 15 mph. It will not do a good job at the faster speed with a higher cutting height (3.5") because it is to fast to hold the grass up to be cut cleanly.

puppypaws
08-16-2007, 11:03 PM
Some of it is optical illusion because of seat placement and platform design.

But some of it is also wheelbase.
As you can see here, the ZD 18 has a short wheelbase, just over 4 feet.
Plus the front tires are tucked close to the front of the deck.

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=86890&stc=1&d=1187071082

This is not so on the new Hustlers.
The wheelbase is a lot longer and there is more distance between the front tires and deck.

The two units have the same length because the kubota has an inline 3 cylinder diesel engine bay sticking out beyond the rear tires, where on the other hand, the hustler has very little rear end out behind the tires.

Fork placement becomes an operator 'sore spot' once an operator gets used to something. When the forks aren't where you are used to them being, it becomes an annoyance quickly when you are mowing and trimming a lot of lawns as opposed to a lot of open farm areas.

One gets used to trimming around things with the casters being in a certain spot, and one gets used to the 'swing arc' when turning as well. It takes a good while to adjust to something laid out totally different.

I understand the feeling well because when it comes to running ZTR's I've become pretty accustomed to short machines. My biggest mower is only about 6 feet long with a wheelbase of 4 feet. In comparison to other brand machines, length-wise it's about the size of a 48" mini. Nice for tight spots and also very good for rolling terrain (less scalps).

You are mowing in a totally different world, a place where compact and slow is fine and all you need but in this part of the world the boys want fast and smooth with a good ride.

I went from the 2005 Super Z to the XR-7 and in 5 minutes I was use to it, I also cut and trim around more things than you may think, houses, trees, chicken houses, three big equipment sheds, several miles of road banks, 2000' of lake bank, three 500 gallon and a 300 fuel tank and many many power poles and guy wires.

I can handle the Super Z with the 66" XR-7 deck as good and do the same exact thing as you do with a slower more compact mower, it is just what you get use to. If you got on my mower and operated it the way I do it would actually scare you until you got a very good feel for it.

The Bad Boy stuck out a lot farther in the rear and I thought the 32 Vanguard was a lot bigger than the Kohler 28 efi but they had the exact same dimensions. You are just sitting more toward the front which will give mowers a worse ride, is that not what you would conclude.

I don't know but I would think the ZD18 would ride like a two horse wagon, what would you think?

grass disaster
08-16-2007, 11:40 PM
What is the cutting height on the bigger property, it is beautiful and flat but you need that size property to really appreciate the speed of the Super.

The smaller property is suitable for the regular Hustler, if the smaller property is mainly what you cut that would be the mower of choice in the Hustler line.

The higher cutting heights (3.5") used on plush grass is probably more suited to the Exmark Ultracut.

My cutting purposes could not be handled by anything better than the faster Super Z because I mow larger open areas at 2.75" and it will do an excellent job at 15 mph. It will not do a good job at the faster speed with a higher cutting height (3.5") because it is to fast to hold the grass up to be cut cleanly.

big prop is prob cut at about 3.5" but it only looks real good at 20/20 the kubota doesn't cut very well at wfo at that height either.

most of my properties are cut at 3" or 2.5" the only other property that is higher than that would be mine. that's my house in that 2nd pic. i cut that with my 48" exmark tthp. at about 3.5-4"

i really don't use the walk behind much only my lawn and 2 others that are small and have a manicured lawn.

that's why i kind of like the 54" z because i can use it on almost every property.

puppypaws
08-16-2007, 11:52 PM
big prop is prob cut at about 3.5" but it only looks real good at 20/20 the kubota doesn't cut very well at wfo at that height either.

most of my properties are cut at 3" or 2.5" the only other property that is higher than that would be mine. that's my house in that 2nd pic. i cut that with my 48" exmark tthp. at about 3.5-4"

i really don't use the walk behind much only my lawn and 2 others that are small and have a manicured lawn.

that's why i kind of like the 54" z because i can use it on almost every property.

I understand where you are coming from, you need to demo, demo and demo.

I can only tell you I could not be more pleased than I have been with 28 efi and the 66" XR-7 deck with the flex forks and flex seat. There is only one thing I would change and that would be for a higher hp efi engine, sometimes I would like a little more power but then again I always have.

Envy Lawn Service
08-16-2007, 11:53 PM
Well, I've picked up a lot of ground speed and a lot more comfort since adding my suspension setup. It's been nice considering it has been so dry. I can use some of the speed despite the 25 kawi. It will mow 10-12 mph pretty darn comfortably wherever is smooth enough to keep the mower on the ground.... and I haven't tried unlocking the axle with the suspension which I should do... hummm...

Anyways, hard on the machine, easy on me.
I can see where flex forks, IS and tortion come in to make it easier on both.

As for the ZD's... they really don't ride bad.
They come stock with a big standard seat on custom suspension and the front axle floats. They ride well because of that... but in general, all diesels inheriently ride and track better than gas mowers because they are not so light in the @ss like the v-twin gassers are.

The extra 100 lbs out back keeps them planted better and they don't buck so bad.

I don't know if you ever read my review of the Grasshopper 321D 52"... but that thing had a Kubota diesel on it and it was my first rush experience of really pushing a mower and running it full stick in places I wouldn't run others.

Man that thing could run circles around the 52" eXmark. It tracked over rough terrain like it was on rails and rode really darn good despite literally no suspension or give of any type.

No way the eXmark could keep up with it despite being the same size and around the same speed with 2 more HP. The grasshopper would 'full-stick' areas you couldn't keep the exmark on the ground mowing a straight line. GAME OVER.

Envy Lawn Service
08-16-2007, 11:58 PM

I think you will find that if you can put a 54" on it, the flagship 60" models will stick right in there too. That has totally been my experience. I have nowhere the 52" will go that the 60" won't... but I do have some places the 48's went... but neither the 52" or 60" will go... 4' gates, between every section of a playset/swingset, down narrow islands, etc...

Envy Lawn Service
08-17-2007, 12:06 AM
Oh, and puppypaws....

About mowing around things. I didn't mean to make you think I only think you mow wide open fields. I understand you still mow around things.

I do some country/farm mowing too.

But I can tell you first hand it's a totally different world from high-end residential and commercial.

The landscaping and whatnot is laid out with absolutely no thought to how mowing will be performed around said layout.... and none of them tolerate visible clippings, much less clippings in beds, lots of weedeater mowing, or any 'liquid trimmer' at all.

A ton-ton of that type of work is best suited for a 40"/44"/48" mini Z dedicated to mulching... or a stand-on set up to mulch.

I myself had to give up some of the worst of them for the greater good when I stopped running anything small.

grass disaster
08-17-2007, 12:07 AM
I think you will find that if you can put a 54" on it, the flagship 60" models will stick right in there too. That has totally been my experience. I have nowhere the 52" will go that the 60" won't... but I do have some places the 48's went... but neither the 52" or 60" will go... 4' gates, between every section of a playset/swingset, down narrow islands, etc...

i get the impression that people already think my machine is too big for their lawn. i guess that's why i haven't yet gone with the 60"

puppypaws
08-17-2007, 12:49 AM
Oh, and puppypaws....

About mowing around things. I didn't mean to make you think I only think you mow wide open fields. I understand you still mow around things.

I do some country/farm mowing too.

But I can tell you first hand it's a totally different world from high-end residential and commercial.

The landscaping and whatnot is laid out with absolutely no thought to how mowing will be performed around said layout.... and none of them tolerate visible clippings, much less clippings in beds, lots of weedeater mowing, or any 'liquid trimmer' at all.

A ton-ton of that type of work is best suited for a 40"/44"/48" mini Z dedicated to mulching... or a stand-on set up to mulch.

I myself had to give up some of the worst of them for the greater good when I stopped running anything small.

I'm not tuned down enough for that type mowing, I would rather cut five acres wide open on the Super Z than cut one acre full of junk where I had to slow down very much.

I have never had to deal with the public and don't care to, I've not had one turkey or chicken in my life that ever had anything negative to say. There are a lot of people that were actually born as a jack ass, they just learned how to speak English.

Envy Lawn Service
08-17-2007, 12:54 AM
I'm not tuned down enough for that type mowing, I would rather cut five acres wide open on the Super Z than cut one acre full of junk where I had to slow down very much.

I have never had to deal with the public and don't care to, I've not had one turkey or chicken in my life that ever had anything negative to say. There are a lot of people that were actually born as a jack ass, they just learned how to speak English.

Boy ain't that the truth :laugh:

I feel the same way, and this notion gets stronger with me every passing year.

puppypaws
08-17-2007, 06:32 PM
here is the mower i currently use. it seems more stout

I want you to measure the distance from the very front protrusion what ever it may be to the front of the deck shell on your ZD18. I am interested in just how close the ZD18 can get to grass it can cut when you are straight against a brick wall. The distance from the wall the mower is against to the edge of the grass it already cut.

Please check that measurement and post it for me to see.
Thanks

grass disaster
08-17-2007, 09:30 PM
I want you to measure the distance from the very front protrusion what ever it may be to the front of the deck shell on your ZD18. I am interested in just how close the ZD18 can get to grass it can cut when you are straight against a brick wall. The distance from the wall the mower is against to the edge of the grass it already cut.

Please check that measurement and post it for me to see.
Thanks

i can check but my zd18 has a built in jack. it might not be a fair comparrison.

puppypaws
08-17-2007, 09:56 PM
i can check but my zd18 has a built in jack. it might not be a fair comparrison.

Give the number with the jack because that will be as close as your mower will get and then give me the number less the jack which would be the normal measurement unless someone added the jack.

I am trying to get a comparison of how close you can mow to something with the ZD18 straight on and compare it to my XR-7 so you and I both will know the difference.

grass disaster
08-20-2007, 01:50 PM
distance i measured was 14" from the wall to the front of the deck.

the cutting distance (blade to wall) was about 18".

jack was not a factor

puppypaws
08-20-2007, 02:33 PM
distance i measured was 14" from the wall to the front of the deck.

the cutting distance (blade to wall) was about 18".

jack was not a factor

That is what I thought but would not say anything until you verified the distance. The Hustler with a 66" XR-7 deck measures exactly 13" from the front of the flex forks that would be against the wall to the front of the deck shell.

This means you can get just as close with the Hustler if not closer than your ZD18 when it comes to trimming up close to something. This cannot be argued, the measurements do not lie. Sometimes our eyes have a tendency to fool our brain.

Envy, what is your thoughts on this now?

grass disaster
08-20-2007, 03:31 PM
That is what I thought but would not say anything until you verified the distance. The Hustler with a 66" XR-7 deck measures exactly 13" from the front of the flex forks that would be against the wall to the front of the deck shell.

This means you can get just as close with the Hustler if not closer than your ZD18 when it comes to trimming up close to something. This cannot be argued, the measurements do not lie. Sometimes our eyes have a tendency to fool our brain.

how far apart are your forks?

if i remember correct it was 39" from center to center

Envy Lawn Service
08-20-2007, 05:08 PM

He's noticing differences between wheelbase and seat placement.
I said that way up above.

I did assume he would be able to mow straight up to a wall closer though....
But I forgot he's running larger front tires and has the old open front kubota deck.

But in the end though... I think what he finds to be awkward is the differences in the overall machine layouts. Specifically the seat placement-to-front of machine distance... and the wheelbase... and possibly the caster placement/spacing.

His machine "works shorter" than yours, and this effect is also falsely multiplied by seat placement.

The "effect" is perception... in that he is just closer to the front tires due to seat placement.

The "works shorter" part is reality. His ZD 18 maybe has a 4 foot (or a tad over) wheelbase. His actual 'swing radius' is shorter, which is handy in real tight places... but that's all.

In the end, myself, I really don't try to get crazy with "trimming" with the ZTR. Unless you use 'liquid trimmer' you can't get it all anyways, and it still has to be trimmed. So all you are doing is killing mowing time.

I am however pretty guilty of spending a second to trim close to things that land in my stripe patterns between my forks or between the fork and scalp wheel on one side...

Small trees with little or no mulch around them... power poles... sign posts... concrete lightpost bases, ect.

If I can get whatever between the front tire and the anti-scalp, I can put the front of the deck against it. If I can put it between the casters I can cut to 5-6" away. Straight up to something, I can cut to around 9" +/- away.... closer if it's an edge, farther a way if it is like a wall.

puppypaws
08-20-2007, 07:47 PM
how far apart are your forks?

if i remember correct it was 39" from center to center

It is 45 1/2" from center to center which gives you a wide area to get closer to wider objects.

The lower profile and seat placement is what confuses people, you can trim and maneuver with the Super Z as well as you can with the ZD18. I thought the same thing your mind is telling you when I went from the 2005 Super Z to the new style but it did not take me long to figure out the only difference was a much better ride.

puppypaws
08-20-2007, 08:12 PM
It is 45 1/2" from center to center which gives you a wide area to get closer to wider objects.

The lower profile and seat placement is what confuses people, you can trim and maneuver with the Super Z as well as you can with the ZD18. I thought the same thing your mind is telling you when I went from the 2005 Super Z to the new style but it did not take me long to figure out the only difference was a much better ride.

Envy mentioned the turning radius which I think should be a very small amount longer with the XR-7 but not enough to notice. The reason I say this is because I mow a strip between a very steep road ditch bank and a woven wire pasture fence. The strip is just wide enough to mow in one direction and the turn around area is not much wider than the mower is long. I would mow with the seemingly shorter 2005 Super Z and swing straight around to the left and be turned directly 180 degrees and heading back in the opposite direction. I can make the very same maneuver with the XR-7 and there is no room for change you either have the back of the mower against a steep bank which the rear wheels are in the same position every time or you swung the front forks into a woven wire pasture fence. I am a little more careful with the XR-7 and this is why I think the turning radius is a hardly noticeable amount longer.

Envy Lawn Service
08-20-2007, 09:07 PM
Yeah, you get what I'm saying now.

It's probably a few inches longer in that respect (actual wheelbase).

Now with that in mind, had you came from a 4' wheelbase with the ZD's seat vantage-point, it would seem like a big deal.

Some of it is real as the ZD is swinging a shorter front around.
Some of it is perception from seat location.

Overall, the ZD and Super Z are the same overall length, but the swinging part is shorter on the ZD.

puppypaws
08-20-2007, 09:27 PM
Yeah, you get what I'm saying now.

It's probably a few inches longer in that respect (actual wheelbase).

Now with that in mind, had you came from a 4' wheelbase with the ZD's seat vantage-point, it would seem like a big deal.

Some of it is real as the ZD is swinging a shorter front around.
Some of it is perception from seat location.

Overall, the ZD and Super Z are the same overall length, but the swinging part is shorter on the ZD.

The wheel base you are talking about should be measured from the front edge of the front wheel to the front edge of the back wheel, is this the measurement you are speaking of or the total from the front of the front wheel to the rear of the rear wheel?

I would like to see the difference myself.