PDA

View Full Version : kohler keeps dieing

wahlturfcare
08-14-2007, 02:26 PM
yesterday while mowing my kohler 25hp motor just dies on me. all it wants to do now is start right up and then quit. I changed the fuel line/ filter, swapped the battery and ignition switch and it still does the same thing. I also cleaned the battery terminals too. Also, before the alt gauge would once inawhile go to zero then go back to charge after starting it up. What should i look for?

Bill Kapaun
08-14-2007, 02:29 PM
How long does it run before it quits?
What's it mounted on?

wahlturfcare
08-14-2007, 03:08 PM
its on a 98' turf tiger. it will just start right up and then die

thecrankshaft
08-14-2007, 03:22 PM
Does it die as soon as you release the key switch from the run position? If so, I would suspect the diodes in the engine wiring harness.

fixer67
08-14-2007, 10:30 PM
Does it die as soon as you release the key switch from the run position? If so, I would suspect the diodes in the engine wiring harness.

The fuel solenoid runs off two power sources. One is when the starter is engaged. The other one is when the switch is in RUN mode. The two sources are isolated by diodes in the engine wiring harness. If the engine starts up and then dies as soon as you let off the key switch I would have to say you are losing power to the fuel solenoid in RUN mode. This could be from a bad diode or a bad switch or a lose wire. Check for lose wires at the wiring harness where the engine harness mates to the machine harness. That is where I have found the lose wire problem 90% of the time.