PDA

View Full Version : To Stihl or not to Stihl

delphied
08-14-2007, 01:56 PM
I sorta made up my mind to buy a Stihl BR600 until I found out all dealers in Michigan get to pay an extra $20.00 for one. Stihl is prolly the originator of price fixing by power equipment makers and this little deal fries my bacon. Its not much money but it is the principle. As Ive said in past threads, these companies are gouging us. These Michigan Stihl dealers shouldnt have to set their price higher than the guy across the state line.

lawnprosteveo
08-14-2007, 11:00 PM
Huh, I wonder if that has anything to do with Stihl not selling their stuff in "the big box stores." They love saying that in all their ads.

Grass Happens
08-14-2007, 11:08 PM
I sorta made up my mind to buy a Stihl BR600 until I found out all dealers in Michigan get to pay an extra $20.00 for one. Stihl is prolly the originator of price fixing by power equipment makers and this little deal fries my bacon. Its not much money but it is the principle. As Ive said in past threads, these companies are gouging us. These Michigan Stihl dealers shouldnt have to set their price higher than the guy across the state line.

Are you sure its not the distributor? or maybe a tax. I find it hard to believe that Sthil would say, "ok, Michigan, add $20" However, MI may have a distributor that only covers that state and none other, or a part of another, different neighboring state; and they just charge there dealers 20$ then the others state distributors.

lawnman_scott
08-14-2007, 11:31 PM
What is the price$

KTO Enterprises
08-14-2007, 11:56 PM
I wouldnt sthil. I would buy. I am allergic to jail time.

On a serious note, I would still go with the sthil regardless. Every piece of echo Equipment has nickled and dimed me to death. My sthil stuff has been abused, left in the rain. dropped and even worse.

My FS 80 has even been filled with rain water several times to the point of having to remove the spark plug and spin it over a few times to pump the water out and it still wont quit.

I bought my BR420c at a pawn shop with who knows how many hours on it. I put a new plug, and air filter on it and have used it now for almost 3 years with tons of hours and no problems.

justanotherlawnguy
08-15-2007, 12:17 AM
Go buy an echo 650, you wont be disappointed. Isnt the BR600 a 4cycle? I wouldnt touch anything 4 cycle from stihl after using an fs90 for the last year....

lawnman_scott
08-15-2007, 12:25 AM
Go buy an echo 650, you wont be disappointed. Isnt the BR600 a 4cycle? I wouldnt touch anything 4 cycle from stihl after using an fs90 for the last year....Why not? I dont even use my 2 cycle stuff anymore. I have all 4 cycle and love it all.

delphied
08-15-2007, 01:25 AM
What is the price$

The br600 is 499 in Michigan and in nearly every other state its 479. I emailed Stihl and they said they have no control over what dealers sell for since they are privately owned. That has to be a lie when all delers have the prices fixed at a certain amount. All dealers in my postal code are the same. In other states they are 20 bucks less.

McFarland_Lawn_Care
08-15-2007, 01:49 AM
It's $489 in Maine.....

fiveoboy01
08-15-2007, 03:26 AM
Go buy an echo 650, you wont be disappointed. Isnt the BR600 a 4cycle? I wouldnt touch anything 4 cycle from stihl after using an fs90 for the last year....

I'll agree with half of your statement.

I hate my FS90R 4-mix trimmer. I won't buy another.

But I have zero complaints about my BR600 and I'd buy another.

lawnman_scott
08-15-2007, 06:21 AM
The br600 is 499 in Michigan and in nearly every other state its 479. I emailed Stihl and they said they have no control over what dealers sell for since they are privately owned. That has to be a lie when all delers have the prices fixed at a certain amount. All dealers in my postal code are the same. In other states they are 20 bucks less.They are $469 here for the most part. Why would Stihl decide that MI dealers will charge more?

DaddyRabbit
08-15-2007, 06:35 AM
My dealer quoted me $430 otd for a stihl 600 earlier in the week. I have bought a ton of stuff from him though, I.e. Tractors, bush hogs/rotary cutters, tillers, trimmers, etc, etc

coolgreen
08-15-2007, 08:04 AM
A BR 600 costs $729 or more here in Ontario. The average price for a good trimmer is between $450 and $550 plus 15 per cent taxes. You guys in the States are lucky when it comes to equipment. Don't even ask what a 60-inch Z costs here - it would make you sick.

As for snow plows, you guys pay a little over half what they screw us for up here. Even Arctic plows, which are made in London, Ontario, go for at least $2,000 more here. I have yet to figure that one out.

Grass Happens
08-15-2007, 12:05 PM
A BR 600 costs $729 or more here in Ontario. The average price for a good trimmer is between $450 and $550 plus 15 per cent taxes. You guys in the States are lucky when it comes to equipment. Don't even ask what a 60-inch Z costs here - it would make you sick.

As for snow plows, you guys pay a little over half what they screw us for up here. Even Arctic plows, which are made in London, Ontario, go for at least $2,000 more here. I have yet to figure that one out.

Whats the exchange rate from US to CAD?

MANOFSTIHL
08-15-2007, 08:31 PM
The BR600 used to be 479 when it was first introduced in my area, then it went to 499

Stillwater
08-15-2007, 08:41 PM
when I buy stihl I buy for performance and profit, I need to know my concrete water saw will cut granite and blue stone all day long. I need to know the tools I send out on jobs are safe and will perform last and be more hassle free than not. I do not feel robbed or mugged when I buy a Sthil product if your are not comfortable spending the extra money it takes to own a Sthil product just don't buy them. They are not for everyone and Sthil knows it.

BobcatBoy06
08-15-2007, 08:54 PM
I can get my hands on them for like 430 here to.

Lazer_Z
08-15-2007, 08:59 PM
When I bought mine it was $449.95 and I believe it's still the same price at my dealer as well as others in my area.

Rob

topsites
08-15-2007, 09:06 PM
I don't know but if you get the stihl then get the 600.
I figured there wasn't that much of a difference from the 550- 600...
Boy was I wrong.

Nothing beats that 600, I hold the bg-65 handheld in my left hand and the combined nozzles put out just over 1,000 cfm's, it cleans up so fast it almost makes my 10hp push blower obsolete. The difference isn't so noticeable until the leaves get into a pile, once they get a foot or two deep, life becomes awful without some serious WIND, the deeper the pile, the more wind you need to push that whole deep mess further and further.

Yes, it literally boils down to how many cubic feet of leaves you can move a distance of a few feet, per minute.
Fuel wise it's a hog, but only until things get deep, then the extra power makes up for one efficient clean up.
So efficient in fact, the 600 uses less fuel for the job than the lesser models, just more per hour.

I used to think using two blowers was nuts, but I can clean the smaller yards like lickety split, and I earn a good $60 an hour doing leaves, I ain't never earned that much doing, out of all things, LEAVES (for many years, a dirty word in my business). Even without the handheld, the 600 really is if not the most, then certainly one of the most powerful carry-on units, only push blowers can do more.

Not much for spending this year, but if I ever buy another backpack it will be at least a br-600.
$20 more wouldn't bother me, I'm used to it by now :laugh:

clc19chase
08-15-2007, 09:22 PM
"topsites"...... Im glad someone else knows what a handheld in the left hand will do for you. I use mine all year on every lawn. leaves or no leaves, It saves time and turns your step pattern into a steady foward walk instead of all the backstepping

lawnman_scott
08-15-2007, 10:37 PM

As for snow plows, you guys pay a little over half what they screw us for up here. Even Arctic plows, which are made in London, Ontario, go for at least $2,000 more here. I have yet to figure that one out.that would be $673.93. Insane.........

swingset
08-16-2007, 12:18 AM
"topsites"...... Im glad someone else knows what a handheld in the left hand will do for you. I use mine all year on every lawn. leaves or no leaves, It saves time and turns your step pattern into a steady foward walk instead of all the backstepping

Plus, you look ultra hardcore with blowers in both hands.

Envy Lawn Service
08-16-2007, 01:22 AM

I'll agree with half of your statement.

I hate my FS90R 4-mix trimmer. I won't buy another.

But I have zero complaints about my BR600 and I'd buy another.

Everybody here knows I am a Stihl guy to the core...

I've had no problems with Stihl either.

But all the above just goes to support my thoughts about things right now.
I've had no troubles, but didn't want to push my luck.

I just don't think they have the 4-mix production down-pat yet.
What I mean is that I don't think they are to the point of being able to mass produce them with consistant quality.

I was tired of Echo quirks and worried about this, so I went to RedMax for blowers.
Turned out to be a lucky break for me so far!
Had Stihl not discontinued the FS85 and failed to produce a monster 2 stroke blower, I would never have known.

nobagger
08-16-2007, 07:34 AM

I have a Ech 651 something or other and one of my guys bought a Sthil BR600 fo his house. We used his a few times and holy crap! this thing is awesome and moves a little more air than mine but weighs a lot less. What more could you ask for? I was going to buy another Echo but now that I've seen and used this....there's no way! I am definetly puting one of thos in my trailer before fall!

Envy Lawn Service
08-16-2007, 01:54 PM
I have a Ech 651 something or other and one of my guys bought a Sthil BR600 fo his house. We used his a few times and holy crap! this thing is awesome and moves a little more air than mine but weighs a lot less. What more could you ask for? I was going to buy another Echo but now that I've seen and used this....there's no way! I am definetly puting one of thos in my trailer before fall!

Yeah, they out-blow the 651's and weigh a lot less.