PDA

View Full Version : How many use synthetics oils? Can it buy time?

mdvaden
08-14-2007, 08:44 PM
Just curious if anyone has tinkered with synthetic motor oils in mowers, and if its as practical in lawn machines as it is in automobiles.

MOturkey
08-14-2007, 09:25 PM
There are several guys on this site that have forgotten more about lubricating fluids than I'll ever know, but, yes, I do use synthetic oil in the Kawasaki engine on my Gravely 260Z, and used it in my previous mower as well.

My criteria for choosing synthetic was simple, to the best of my knowlege synthetic oils, in general, will take heat without breaking down better than regular dino oils. An air cooled engine runs hot, and I mow in extreme temperatures at times (1 1/2 hours yesterday afternoon, it was 101 F).

I recently began using Mobil 1 10-40 which I buy at Wally World in the 5 qt container. Buying it that way, it is cost competitive with some of the less known brands.

causalitist
08-14-2007, 09:27 PM
the best synth oils last 7 times longer than crappy oil. (25,000 - 35,000 miles) ..

the problem is in our line of work oil gets dirty .. so keeping outside particles out of the oil is very important if you plan to take advantage of very high quality oils.

therefore, using the best oil filter is way more important than oil, as is using an oiled foam prefilter on your airfilter.

doing these things will allow you to take advantage of the extended drain intervals offered by high end synthetics.. how much is up to you.

besides this, synth oils leave less deposits and lube better. .. but thats not what you were asking.

Kid With A Mower
08-14-2007, 09:30 PM
I dono how much longer it last, but it seems to work better than conventional oil. So I use it in all of my power equipment.

growabiz
08-14-2007, 09:32 PM
Synthetics are good, just be sure the engine has some hours on it so the rings will seat properly. I would change the oil every 100-150 hours. They do not break down with the heat like conventional oils.

IndustrialGreen
08-14-2007, 11:15 PM
In my experience no oil can truly make up for just plain regular changing of oil and filter. Engines that get their oil and filter changed often just plain last longer, no matter what brand/formulation is used. I skip the expensive stuff, but make my maintenance schedule a sworn duty.