PDA

View Full Version : 2008 hustler Z Yanmar 750cc diesel. pic included

grass disaster
08-14-2007, 11:04 PM
i wonder if it's the same xr-7 deck?

only pic i could find 54" rear discharge deck.

quote from hustler sponsor(hustler forum)

It is a 750cc Yanmar vertical shaft unit, limited availability at this time.
The only decks on this unit will be 54", side and rear discharge.
It is also a Hustler Z not a Super Z.
No other Yanmar units planned that I am aware of.

Envy Lawn Service
08-14-2007, 11:29 PM
Probably that 20hp Yanmar V-twin diesel...

The one Bobcat has used forever...

That's why "only 54"...

It peaks my interest nonetheless...
I haven't heard much out of 54" XR7 owners... I wonder if it cuts better than the others?

grass disaster
08-14-2007, 11:32 PM
Probably that 20hp Yanmar V-twin diesel...

The one Bobcat has used forever...

That's why "only 54"...

It peaks my interest nonetheless...
I haven't heard much out of 54" XR7 owners... I wonder if it cuts better than the others?

yeah, this one is rated at 21hp. probably same motor

grass disaster
08-15-2007, 01:31 AM
motor is 123lbs seems light to me

grass disaster
08-15-2007, 01:19 PM
this motor has between 18-21hp depending on the rpm range.

i wonder if this is enough power for this machine?

grass disaster
08-15-2007, 05:43 PM
i found another picture.

i still don't like how hustler has their front wheels/forks further away from the deck. unlike exmark which has them tucked right up next to the deck.

it looks like the front tires could easily be back 2" it would help with trim. and getting in between obstacles

grass disaster
08-15-2007, 09:15 PM
am i the only one interested in this machine

i've been told that the side discharge mower weighs 1396. this seems like a sharp increase from the origional 1180.

for a motor that only weighs 213lbs. i'm wondering where the extra weight could have came from. what do they now have 2 motors in them?

Mickhippy
08-15-2007, 10:38 PM
Im interested also and I agree, I dont like the longer wheel base either!

lawnspecialties
08-15-2007, 11:06 PM

i've been told that the side discharge mower weighs 1396. this seems like a sharp increase from the origional 1180.

for a motor that only weighs 213lbs. i'm wondering where the extra weight could have came from. what do they now have 2 motors in them?

Honestly, there have been numerous posts in the past (certainly including me) regarding Hustler's "weak" engine options. When I say weak, I'm comparing them to other manufacturers.

Now they come out with a diesel (forget the Cat) which has only 21 hp, it's only on a 54" deck, and it's not even a SuperZ. :sleeping:

Meanwhile, Kawasaki has a 34 hp and a 37 hp vertical shaft gas engine out there and the best I've heard from Hustler is "maybe".:confused:

jeremy067390
08-15-2007, 11:45 PM
im not impressed with over powered machines. i have a 25 x mark. 28 or 30 injected is all i could see needed. i have hills and all and a bagger. would like a 30 with a bagger 28 without. anything bigger and youve gotta be tooting your own horn. i cant see why except maybe if your one of those guys who mows with a lifted truck

WREBELMACHINE
08-15-2007, 11:58 PM
I ran this engine on a everide hornet. cute machine but what a rough running engine!

Mowingman
08-16-2007, 12:00 AM
If that is the same engine that they use the Bobcat, then it will be loud. If you mow early in the morning, you will wake everyone up in a 3 block radius of where you are mowing.
I demoed a Bobcat with the Yanmar diesel once. I wore foam ear plugs and ear muff-type protectors over the ear plugs. My ears were still ringing 2 hours after I finished mowing with it.

Envy Lawn Service
08-16-2007, 02:05 AM
i found another picture.

i still don't like how hustler has their front wheels/forks further away from the deck. unlike exmark which has them tucked right up next to the deck.

it looks like the front tires could easily be back 2" it would help with trim. and getting in between obstacles

Heck... nevermind that part... it looks to me like you could lay down on a creeper and roll right between the rear of the deck and the rear tires! That's what is killing the wheelbase!

Ahh... somebody esle that is noticing the truth!
I've pulled my hair out defending the weight of diesel engines.
It's not the extra weight of the engines that make the mowers spec so heavy :nono:
It's that the MFG's don't build their units from the ground up to house a diesel.
Instead they modify gas frames to accept the diesel engines.
This causes them to weigh more and have longer wheelbases or counterweights to balance them.

Anyone who doesn't believe this needs to check specs from a company that builds specific frames for diesels... Grasshopper....

Honestly, there have been numerous posts in the past (certainly including me) regarding Hustler's "weak" engine options. When I say weak, I'm comparing them to other manufacturers.

Now they come out with a diesel (forget the Cat) which has only 21 hp, it's only on a 54" deck, and it's not even a SuperZ. :sleeping:

Meanwhile, Kawasaki has a 34 hp and a 37 hp vertical shaft gas engine out there and the best I've heard from Hustler is "maybe".:confused:

It's only 54" and NOT a Super Z to allow it to perform!

I mean could you imagine what it would be like at 213 lbs heavier, with a big deck and Super Z hydro's?... No thanks.

This unit is just to get some of the small diesel market... probably more aimed at municipal shoppers.

Hustler does need to look at the big Kawi's, Briggs, and Kohler engines 31hp and above to power their super Z.

I still say they are saying "maybe" because the engines won't fit without another frame re-design.... or the engines won't fit and live a full life without it.

I ran this engine on a everide hornet. cute machine but what a rough running engine!
If that is the same engine that they use the Bobcat, then it will be loud. If you mow early in the morning, you will wake everyone up in a 3 block radius of where you are mowing.
I demoed a Bobcat with the Yanmar diesel once. I wore foam ear plugs and ear muff-type protectors over the ear plugs. My ears were still ringing 2 hours after I finished mowing with it.

Never been around one... hate to hear that...

Synergy Ground
08-16-2007, 11:10 AM
Everyone keeps talking about the horsepower of the new Yanmar Diesel. It may only be 20 HP, but the torque is what counts. Same with Gas or Diesel in Pick Ups. My Chevrolet 1500HD with 6.0 Motor has more horsepower than the Duramax, yet it will not pull anywhere near the load of the Duramax or Powerstroke. Diesel is all about Torque, and fuel efficeny not horsepower. I would imagine this Yanmar will cut through the same grass as a 30 HP Gas with no stall or bog. Not to mention the life cyle of the diesel is twice that of gas. However, the upfront cost is really not worth it. By the time you use up the life of the motor, you will have gone through 3 Frames, and 5 Decks. Just my opinion.

Mowingman
08-16-2007, 11:27 AM
In my experience, the Yanmar diesel we are talking about here, does not have great torque, like a Kubota diesel does. You will be lucky to have enough HP with this engine to handle a 54" deck if the grass is overgrown or very thick. There is no way this engine would ever handle a 60" deck without mowing at a crawl speed.

Everyone keeps talking about the horsepower of the new Yanmar Diesel. It may only be 20 HP, but the torque is what counts. Same with Gas or Diesel in Pick Ups. My Chevrolet 1500HD with 6.0 Motor has more horsepower than the Duramax, yet it will not pull anywhere near the load of the Duramax or Powerstroke. Diesel is all about Torque, and fuel efficeny not horsepower. I would imagine this Yanmar will cut through the same grass as a 30 HP Gas with no stall or bog. Not to mention the life cyle of the diesel is twice that of gas. However, the upfront cost is really not worth it. By the time you use up the life of the motor, you will have gone through 3 Frames, and 5 Decks. Just my opinion.

J&R Landscaping
08-16-2007, 11:35 AM
Yanmars are proven in the marine industry. I still think it needs to be larger and more powerful! 21hp on a 54" aint to bad. The Bobcat unit is a 20hp on a 60" deck.

Envy Lawn Service
08-16-2007, 02:35 PM
Yeah, this is a V-Twin diesel, not a 3 cylinder Kubota.

http://www.yanmar.com/images/upload/items/v-twin.jpg