PDA

View Full Version : Help me choose a WB

HABU
08-14-2007, 11:39 PM
Greetings! :waving:

Please help me choose a new mower. I'm not a pro, but a homeowner that needs to upgrade his mower.

I have about 12K' of nice lawn on the flat and about 7K' of bank that is 20*-25*. My Craftsman is on the way out, probably due to mowing the shallower slope of the bank. Weed eating the bank sucks, so I need a mower that will do the flat and the bank. I don't have the option to turn around at the bottom of the hill so going sideways is my best bet, thus the assumption a WB would be best for me.

I've been looking at the Toro's in a 36" deck and have a few questions.

Will a WB hold the bank going sideways?

What about a floating deck versus a fixed deck?

Is there a general preference for T-bar vs. pistol grips?

Will a WB cause my lawn to look better/worse/same as what the 21" mower does?

What are the pros and cons to a Toro 36" WB?

Thanks in advance for the input, I appreciate it!

lawnprosteveo
08-14-2007, 11:46 PM
Greetings! :waving:

Please help me choose a new mower. I'm not a pro, but a homeowner that needs to upgrade his mower.

I have about 12K' of nice lawn on the flat and about 7K' of bank that is 20*-25*. My Craftsman is on the way out, probably due to mowing the shallower slope of the bank. Weed eating the bank sucks, so I need a mower that will do the flat and the bank. I don't have the option to turn around at the bottom of the hill so going sideways is my best bet, thus the assumption a WB would be best for me.

I've been looking at the Toro's in a 36" deck and have a few questions.

Will a WB hold the bank going sideways?

What about a floating deck versus a fixed deck?

Is there a general preference for T-bar vs. pistol grips?

Will a WB cause my lawn to look better/worse/same as what the 21" mower does?

What are the pros and cons to a Toro 36" WB?

Thanks in advance for the input, I appreciate it!

Yes, it will hold a hill better than any mower Ive ever used.
Floating deck is important if you will be changing deck heights often.
T bar is far easier to run than pistol grips. With the pistol grips, you have to squeeze to turn.
My Toro 36 cuts every bit as pretty as my Toro 21. Keep the blades sharp and it does a great job.
These mowers are built well, easy to maintain, easy to operate, relatively inexpensive (compared to a Z). Put a sulky on it and you can even ride.
Cons.....I honestly cant think of one.
Hope this helps.

HABU
08-15-2007, 12:04 AM
Well, that didn't take long to get moved to the low traffic homeowner forum. Actually I didn't even see this forum. Newbie mistake. :hammerhead:

Thanks stevo! I don't think I'll be needing to change deck heights much. What is the primary function of the floating deck? A dealer with a fixed deck for sale told me that most of the pros prefer a fixed deck. I suspect he had an agenda.

cgaengineer
08-15-2007, 03:48 PM
Get the 40" Toro with the T2 controls....and yes it will hold the slopes unless it is very wet (Had mine slide last weekend though it was a very steep slope). The fixed deck will be fine if you are not changing heights very much.

Pros:
Its built like a tank
17 HP
Hydro
Very Fast
Turboforce Deck
Can use a Toro TruTrac with it

Cons:
Cant pick it up and toss it in back of truck (667 pounds)

lawnprosteveo
08-15-2007, 10:14 PM
Guys around hear dont like the fixed decks. We have one lawn of bermuda that you cut at one height and another of fescue to be cut at another height. Not sure why the dealer said fixed deck is more preferred. I do think fixed deck is less expensive.

LarryF
08-16-2007, 07:30 AM
Habu,

I'm also a homeowner with some slopes. I see a pro is giving you advice, so maybe his overrules mine, but I would strongly recommend you try on your lot whatever you are thinking of buying before you actually do. 25 degrees is very steep, even for a walk-behind mower. And I might add that other pros who have posted on this forum seem to agree. It sounds like you are going after commercial equipment, which I wholeheartedly agree with, so I presume you are going to be able to demo what you are considering. You should do that.

I have both a ZTR and a 36" hydro walk behind. My opinion about the floating deck question is that it's absolutely essential for a ZTR but not necessary for a walk behind.

Budget
08-16-2007, 08:41 AM
Check out Ferris walk behinds, thats why i purchased mine was to do hills and small property's. This thing is a animal with a wide stance and can hold a hill that is unsafe to be on, and states that on the machine.