PDA

View Full Version : Two questions.

Vikings
08-15-2007, 02:35 AM
1st question:

When I pull trailer with a 36" toro and a couple 21" mowers should I be using 2 drive or just keep it in D?
I'm using my 92 GMC Sierra.
This is the trailer.
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v242/SubZero2040/100_0171.jpg

2nd Question:
When engaging the blades on the 36" Toro, should you do that when it's at low throttle? I've been doing it at high throttle for three months (it's three months old) but I only use it two days a week.

I started engaging them at low Idle today to see if it would work.. and it does but it's a pita. Every time I have to lift up a drain pipe or move something I have to throttle up and down and well as engage and disengage. I almost wish I had a clamp with me so I could just leave the blades spinning.

fiveoboy01
08-15-2007, 03:24 AM
I'll assume your truck is a 4-speed overdrive auto trans?

If so, I'd take it out of overdrive when towing...

For my walk behinds, I engage the pto around half throttle or so, and cut it to idle when dis-engaging. Both my walk behinds have a blade brake, and if I let the blades spin down some before disengaging the PTO(which engages the blade brake), I prevent excessive wear on the brake.

cgaengineer
08-15-2007, 07:03 AM
As fiveoboy01 says, leave the truck out of overdrive...overdrive and towing will kill the tranny.

As far as engaaging the blades on your Toro...my manual says to engage at full throttle so thats what I do.

Vikings
08-15-2007, 01:50 PM
I never used Over drive because I never go on the high way but I guess you're saying leaving it in D is ok, eh?

I figure that 2 and 1 gears are for REAL heavy loads.

As far as the Toro, I never read my manual :(

Turf Professionals Inc.
08-15-2007, 01:54 PM
I have always towed in o/d when towing unless the truck starts getting real shifty or feals like it is straining. I engage my blades at low rpm's. It is like reving your car up and popping the clutch when you engage the blades at high rpms. that is just my 0.02

cgaengineer
08-15-2007, 02:03 PM
1st and 2nd gears are just that...1st and second gears....there is nothing special about them. If you put the truck in "D" it will still take off in 1st and shift to second. The reason for the ability to shift manually into these gears is for steep grades, or for any reason when you would like to change the shift point to allow more engine RPM's before shifting. Towing in overdrive will cause transmission damage as the the transmission will be shifting form D to overdrive all of the time...especially when you climb any grades. Overdrive is a ratio where transmission is actually turning more rpms then the output shaft of the engine....this put a tremendous strain on the transmission clutches.

Read the part in your Toro manual about clutch engagement...it will likely say full throttle.

Vikings
08-15-2007, 04:40 PM
1st and 2nd gears are just that...1st and second gears....there is nothing special about them. If you put the truck in "D" it will still take off in 1st and shift to second. The reason for the ability to shift manually into these gears is for steep grades, or for any reason when you would like to change the shift point to allow more engine RPM's before shifting.
I didn't know that and it actually makes sense. Thanks.

cgaengineer
08-15-2007, 06:28 PM
I didn't know that and it actually makes sense. Thanks.

And I wasnt trying to make you feel stupid when I typed that Vikings...it was the best way I knew how to explain.:)

fiveoboy01
08-15-2007, 06:32 PM
Does your truck just have 1-2-D? or 1-2-3-D?

Just curious if the truck allows you to keep out of OD. Sometimes drive and OD will be the same detent on the shift display and OD is automatic but some vehicles have a button to disable the OD.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
08-15-2007, 06:51 PM
With a trailer that small, I'd leave it in overdrive. Your whole rig can't weigh over a short ton...so you'll be fine...and save gas,too.

lawnboy dan
08-15-2007, 06:51 PM
i have same truck -a good rule of thumb is to only use d1 when going over 45mph otherwise leave it in d2 this way it wont be trying to go in and out of od all the time

Vikings
08-16-2007, 01:21 PM
or 1-2-3-D?

Just curious if the truck allows you to keep out of OD. Sometimes drive and OD will be the same detent on the shift display and OD is automatic but some vehicles have a button to disable the OD.

I have 1-2-D- then a D with a circle around it. I assume this is overdrive. I always drive on D but if I'm on the highway I might put in over drive to pass.

cgaengineer
08-16-2007, 01:59 PM
I have 1-2-D- then a D with a circle around it. I assume this is overdrive. I always drive on D but if I'm on the highway I might put in over drive to pass.

You wouldnt normally use overdrive to pass...overdrive is actually geared up.

fiveoboy01
08-16-2007, 06:07 PM
I see, so I take it you have a switch somewhere to disable overdrive?

OD is ok for very light loads, you can pull that trailer empty no prob but I'd be careful about towing in OD with any kind of weight on it.

eaglejrl
08-16-2007, 11:38 PM
If it is 1 - 2 and then D with a circle around it, you must have a switch somewhere to disable the overdrive. The safe side is to disable the overdrive when towing. You can buy a lot of gas with the cost of buying a new transmission.

MTR999
08-17-2007, 01:29 AM
as far as engaging blades...we run full throttle on our Turftracer hp 52" and engage as they are mechanical not electric clutch, but on our Gravely rider we do engage blade at 3/4 throttle but cutting at full throttle. It is not going to be big deal most mech said, even manual said full throttle, the big thing is do you change oil & filter, air filter and keep oil level correctly, worse to happen is pulley and belts but we run the tracer for 5 years without changing blade belt at all still good condition...02 cents