PDA

View Full Version : Plate Compactor = Scuff Marks

PerfiCut L&L
08-15-2007, 08:40 AM
We've gone through two different tampers and are looking to pick up a third.
What compactor does everyone use for tamping down your pavers? and what steps do you take not to scuff them?

Adam's Lawn and Garden
08-15-2007, 01:10 PM
I read in the one EP Henry flyer that you attach a piece of rubber on thebottom or a piece of carpet. I think that's what they said for their scuff sensitive pavers.

adam

Grn Mtn
08-15-2007, 01:39 PM
the urethane attachment for mine is around $250, so until I get it throwing an extra $20 bag of polymeric down then sweeping the excess up into a 5 gallon bucket to use later is what I do.

zedosix
08-15-2007, 02:39 PM
We've gone through two different tampers and are looking to pick up a third.
What compactor does everyone use for tamping down your pavers? and what steps do you take not to scuff them?

Try placing a piece of retaining wall fabric between the plate and brick. Works well and keeps the dust level down too!

forestfireguy
08-15-2007, 05:27 PM
We use a wacker 1550 with the urethane plate, works great.

GreenMonster
08-15-2007, 08:08 PM
Wacker 1550. We use a piece of geo-textile to compact on.

keeps the noise down too.

PerfiCut L&L
08-16-2007, 06:44 AM
We've been considering the wacker 1550. Seems to be a popular unit. Plus we want to get the runner mat for it. right now we use either extra sand, or plywood. Works fine for the time, but our main problem is the compactor we have puts down 8000+ pounds of force. So our biggest concern if we dont scratch them, is how many it breaks. It works great for large projects since we can compact the base in larger lifts, but its not effective for paver compaction.

CMerLand
08-18-2007, 11:49 AM
I dont do alot of paver work and rent a tamper but heres what I have done in the past. Not exactly sure where the wife gets em but she buys this 3 X 2 carpet sections to use as scuff mats in front of the doors. I think they are small carpet samples from home depot. Anyhow after they look like hell I keep them to lay on in the garage when working on equipment and also lay them over top of the paver prior to compacting. Using a two man team one guy tamps and the other guy keeps moving the carpets to the area the tampers headed too. Works out well but you gotta move fast if you dont have alot of carpets to work with.

zedosix
08-18-2007, 08:36 PM
I dont do alot of paver work and rent a tamper but heres what I have done in the past. Not exactly sure where the wife gets em but she buys this 3 X 2 carpet sections to use as scuff mats in front of the doors. I think they are small carpet samples from home depot. Anyhow after they look like hell I keep them to lay on in the garage when working on equipment and also lay them over top of the paver prior to compacting. Using a two man team one guy tamps and the other guy keeps moving the carpets to the area the tampers headed too. Works out well but you gotta move fast if you dont have alot of carpets to work with.

That is funny. I would laugh my @ss off seeing someone do that. :laugh:

PlatinumLandCon
08-19-2007, 02:56 PM
That is funny. I would laugh my @ss off seeing someone do that. :laugh:

Yea that would be pretty funny! How do you guys attach the fabric to the compactor?

mrusk
08-19-2007, 03:03 PM
Yea that would be pretty funny! How do you guys attach the fabric to the compactor?

I just roll out some fabric on top of the pavers... then compact, and roll the fabric back up.

In most cases, spreading a extra bag of sand over the pavers will eliminate 95 percent of the scuffing.

PlatinumLandCon
08-19-2007, 03:59 PM
Ahh makes sense. Also, if you can reuse it then thats pretty good.

BeautifulBlooms
08-22-2007, 02:43 PM
Just get a few sheets of plywood and keep them moving as the compactor moves.

leaflandscape
08-24-2007, 03:20 PM
Plywood's nice and cheap, and if you've got a bobcat you probably have some sheets kicking around anyway.

dchauling
08-24-2007, 10:47 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, I always compact before I put any sand on the brick. So it does not make sense to me to put "extra" sand down. :canadaflag:

BeautifulBlooms
08-25-2007, 02:00 AM
Pavers get set into mason sand, then when all the low ones are levelled and everything is a go, put in the binder sand sweep it into the cracks and then compact. Fill all the gaps and compact again completely then water in the binder sand to really solidify everything.

John Zaprala
08-25-2007, 03:30 AM
We have a wacker and a bomag. We have the scuff guard mat for the wacker (always good to buy when you buy the compactor ours was $200 plus a wheel attachment for transport) Fabric works, burlap works, carpet (you guys laugh, but I've seen many companies do that b/c they're free at most carpet supplies). I suggest doubling up when using fabric or burlap.

leaflandscape
08-26-2007, 04:56 PM
Correct me if I am wrong, I always compact before I put any sand on the brick. So it does not make sense to me to put "extra" sand down. :canadaflag:

We put down levelling bed sand on the compacted gravel, then pave, then put sand over the pavers and tamp to get it down between them, this is where your interlocking brick gets its interlock.:canadaflag:

steve5966
08-26-2007, 08:57 PM
If your not running the compacter before you put sand on the pavers, your not embedding the pavers into the base sand.

Using plywood will spread the force of the compacter. Which in turn means your not putting enough pressure on the pavers to embed them in the sand.

Use a pad and do it right.

PlatinumLandCon
08-26-2007, 09:30 PM
I agree with Steve. I thought you have to compact without joint sand in order to compact the pavers into the base, not joint sand.

GreenMonster
08-26-2007, 09:37 PM
If your not running the compacter before you put sand on the pavers, your not embedding the pavers into the base sand.

Using plywood will spread the force of the compacter. Which in turn means your not putting enough pressure on the pavers to embed them in the sand.

Use a pad and do it right.

agreed. plywood distributes the force of the compactor and you won't get great compaction. we've used plywood for clay pavers and that didn't set them well enough. For us, fabric seems to be the answer for concrete and clay pavers.

I also agree that putting sand down first will not allow the pavers to set properly. Our guys have done this before, against a raised patio, and we didn't get the 3/8" drop we should have.