PDA

View Full Version : kohler Magnum 20 angled connecting rods

rpauls
08-15-2007, 08:27 AM
In the Kohler M20 and MV20 engines the connecting rods have offset cap angles, i.e., the rods are angled away from the centerline of the rod caps. Apparently this is not true for the 18 or 16 hp magnums though. The service manual for the M20 addresses this and specifies that the rods be installed with the angle pointing "down away from the camshaft", however the MV20 service manual has no comment at all. Is this really a requirement for the horizontal engine only or an omission from the vertical shaft SM? I was thinking that perhaps the bearing cap angle orientation has something to do with lubrication that effects only the horizontal orientation. Does anyone know why these rods are offset and why they need to be installed a certain way, and if it matters on the vertical engine?

Thanks,
Rich

olyman
08-15-2007, 11:54 AM
hmmmmmm--the rods and pistons i have out of the mag series--are all straight cut--and the command series are angled---good question---

rpauls
08-15-2007, 12:24 PM
Only the 20 hp magnums have the angled rods according to the manual and parts diagrams. The M20 and MV20 use the same part. Looks like the 18 and 16 are straight.

thecrankshaft
08-15-2007, 04:34 PM
The Magnum 20s have a longer stroke and there was a clearance issue with the camshaft.

It may have been left out of the MV twin service manual.

rpauls
08-15-2007, 05:51 PM
Oh. Too bad it was not in the service manual. Does the fact that my engine is running now mean that I got them in the right way?