PDA

View Full Version : Estimate Help

cgaengineer
08-15-2007, 10:42 AM
I am trying to come up with an estimate for a fescue lawn and I am unfamiliar with the cut frequency in Zone 8. I nearly always cut Bermuda so Fescue is boggling me.

I am trying to narrow down to cuts per year. Keep in mind that this lawn is not fertilized or watered so its on its own.

Tell me if I am wrong, but from March to June will likely be once per week, and then from July to Septemebr likely once every two weeks. October to November will see some growth but I am unsure of these months and the rest of the winter months.

This is my first real estimate and I dont want to lowball.

I have also read about 32-42 cuts per year average and I am not sure about this.

cgaengineer
08-15-2007, 11:28 AM
Looks like from late March until Novemebr...just need to narrow down amount of cuts.

MOturkey
08-15-2007, 11:43 AM
Yours is a pretty close estimate for around here (SW Missouri), depending upon the rainfall in July and August. Wet and relatively cool, like last month, every week. Hot and dry, like now, the fescue basically quits growing.

However, unless the property you are looking to bid on is well maintained (mine aren't), mid-summer is when the crabgrass and other weeds really kick in as the fescue becomes almost dormant, so unless you are talking drought conditions, you may need to mow every week anyhow.

cgaengineer
08-15-2007, 11:46 AM
Thank you for your reply Neill....

So I will base my estimate on 35 cuts per year, and set my client up with a yearly contract.

Now I just need to figure out how long it will take me to cut 70,000 sq ft with my 40" hydro...never had one this large.

MOturkey
08-15-2007, 12:08 PM
I'm assuming your mower is a walk-behind? Sorry, but I'm not familiar with Toro models. Anyhow, never used one, but 70,000 square feet is roughly 1 1/2 acres, which with my previous mower, a 50 inch cut Gravely Z, it would probably have averaged right around 70 minutes to mow only, unless the ground is extremely smooth.

Take the biggest property you now mow, and extrapolate the time required to 70,000 sq ft. Won't be exact, due to lots of factors, but will give you a pretty good estimate. Good luck with the bid.