PDA

View Full Version : What's the most important thing you have learned from Lawnsite?

LawnBrother
08-15-2007, 03:32 PM
I found Lawnsite while I was still working cutting grass with a friend of mine, who has since passed away. I kept the business going by myself afterward. He taught me as much as he could (he had more experience than me) but let me tell you it was rough that first year. But once I started implementing some of the things I learned here, my productivity and profits increased dramatically. I know that without the people on this site it would be even more of a struggle than it has been.
While I have learned a ton here, I think that the single most important thing I have learned was not to sell myself short. When I first was on my own I let people bully me on price because I thought that i needed every account that came my way. Not anymore. I decided what I needed to charge and that was my price, take it or leave it. It was hard at first because I would turn down work from time to time, but after 2 years slowly I am weeding out the cheapos and replacing them with higher quality accounts who pay my rates without question, and I can work less and make more, and that's what it's all about, right? So thanks to everyone who has helped me along the way, directly or indirectly, I would not be here without you.
So, what do you think is the single most important lesson you have learned here?

Mic_bug
08-15-2007, 09:02 PM
Not to cut my own grass.

lawnboy dan
08-15-2007, 09:38 PM
the shindaiwa speed feed head

GreenT
08-15-2007, 09:41 PM
Actually is more than one.

1. Charge the appropiate rate

2. Year-round contracts

3. No bi-weeklys

:waving:

topsites
08-15-2007, 09:47 PM
Much like yourself it helped to know I wasn't the only one with these problems, lawn site did help me stand up for myself and become more diplomatic in my ways, and not to repeat what you said, yeah, all what you said, same here, that too.

Countless other things, mechanical solutions, raising the cut in the heat, some I learned were my own mistakes, again it is nice to have LS as a sounding board when all else fails, sure enough no matter how bad I thought the problem was, there's an easy as pie solution, usually. Strange as it may sound, it helps me see myself in the mirror, too.

More than anything I find it really helps to have someone other than myself who believes in, and thinks the same way. Most non-business owners and even other business owners around here I simply can't speak to, even my own parents it's no use. Half don't see what I see at all, a fair part are convinced I'm crazy (it's only funny until they send you to the nut house, no lie), then some give bad advice knowing it will foul me up (and laughing as they help themselves get rid of competition)... It's not all perfect here and certainly neither am I, lord knows I am so guilty somedays but for the most part it's a lot better than what I run into on a daily basis, as far as support, nothing beats LS, not even close.

I don't see how in the world I could've done without, I am GLAD I found this secret treasure, I wish I would've found it sooner but am content that I found it at all, I cannot imagine where I would be now were this not the case, life would not be the same for sure.

Darrin A.
08-15-2007, 10:48 PM
I would say basically the same as you Lawnbrother, pricing and sticking to my guns. It sure does help knowing there are at least 100 people on here that would back me up on doing just that. As Topsites said, being able to find answers to any related question, and some not related too. I truly feel like most of the people on here are my friends and would help me any way they can....even if it's just from the keyboard. The atmosphere here is of helping people succeed and rooting them on. That's not something I think we would find in more abundance localy.
THANK YOU VERY MUCH EVERYONE!!!!! for all your contributions.

KrayzKajun
08-15-2007, 10:57 PM
#1 thing i have learned!!!

IM NOT THE ONLY CRAZY PERSON CUTTING GRASS FOR A LIVING!! Lol

lawnman_scott
08-15-2007, 11:24 PM
To look at the writer of the post before reading the post. And to do the math when someone starts talking money.

lawnprosteveo
08-15-2007, 11:37 PM
Most important: How to charge enough for what I do. How to treat this as a business and not just a job. How to take control of my business. Really too much to list.

David Hartzog
08-15-2007, 11:47 PM
I PERSANLLY FEEL DAVID HARTZOGS POST ON HIS (CONTRACT HERES MINE) DID MUCH GOOD FOR MY COMPANY HE IS A GENIUS

HOOLIE
08-16-2007, 01:00 AM
The best thing I picked up was how other guys bill/collect payment....things like credit cards, flat rate payments, upfront payment...things that I thought "wouldn't work in my area" Well you never know until you try. I'm still amused at the amount of "Oh that would NEVER work in my town" That's a bunch of crap. It's your business. You make the rules, not the customer.

hdhillin
08-16-2007, 08:48 AM
Everyone has an opinion. When you post a question or situation read every post before making a decision, do not jump to a decision if you are unsure about something. With all of the professionals here on the site you will be guided in the right direction.

JB1
08-16-2007, 09:17 AM
That nobody recognizes this site for the comedy, after a long day this is a very funny site with the pictures, comments, fights and arguing. The comedy here is great. Makes you realize, hey I'm not so bad after all.

KTO Enterprises
08-16-2007, 09:44 AM
That nobody recognizes this site for the comedy, after a long day this is a very funny site with the pictures, comments, fights and arguing. The comedy here is great. Makes you realize, hey I'm not so bad after all.

We are just a big happy family.

My learnings.

People in my area arent the only cheapazzes.

Topsites will confuse you so bad you will need therapy for years if you let him.

There are people that actually make money doing install work. Cant around here

Im not the only one that wihses the show Desperate Housewives represented a real phenomenon.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
08-16-2007, 09:48 AM
Most important: How to charge enough for what I do. How to treat this as a business and not just a job. How to take control of my business. Really too much to list.

Good post treat it like a biz and not a job first mistake,know your cost.

All_Toro_4ME
08-16-2007, 11:51 AM
This is an excellent post. Everyone on here is so knowledgable and informative. I've learned that I'm not the only one who started out with homeowner equip, priced way too low in the beginning, and took all the overgrown jobs, because in the beginning, I felt I needed every customer that called me. Also, I have learned a lot about maintenance for WBs and Z's. Thanks guys for all the help!!!

F.O.S.
08-16-2007, 03:54 PM
The list is a long one...
1. Girls need to wipe from front to back to not get an infection
2. Huked on phonics cun wuk fur anibuddy
3. Boys rule girls drool
4. When you're cold it feels good to put jeans on right out of the dryer
5. Redmax blowers at idle can blow a house of its blocks
6. Take everything you read with a cubic yard of salt

Its true everything you need to know about life can be found in the commercial mowing forum at lawnsite...

Mrs. H
08-16-2007, 07:15 PM
I PERSANLLY FEEL DAVID HARTZOGS POST ON HIS (CONTRACT HERES MINE) DID MUCH GOOD FOR MY COMPANY HE IS A GENIUS

Apparently, I just learned that my husband is a genius. :hammerhead:

#1 ask and you shall recieve....wheather you want to hear it or not. Because in the long run, you always start going "Oh yeah, someone on lawnsite DID say that was going to happen!" :dizzy:

KTO Enterprises
08-16-2007, 07:19 PM
Apparently, I just learned that my husband is a genius. :hammerhead:

hey be nice

Mrs. H
08-16-2007, 07:24 PM
hey be nice

The little hammerhead is SMILING! :)

Beside, he read my sig, and laughed his fool head off. If he had been offended, I would have changed it. I do LIKE the guy, ya' know!:rolleyes:

KTO Enterprises
08-16-2007, 07:28 PM
The little hammerhead is SMILING! :)

Beside, he read my sig, and laughed his fool head off. If he had been offended, I would have changed it. I do LIKE the guy, ya' know!:rolleyes:

Oh I know. I was only messin with you. We all do worry about David a little though.

Supper Grassy
08-16-2007, 07:59 PM
Too much to list

David Hartzog
08-17-2007, 11:13 PM
That why i'm special.

David Gretzmier
08-19-2007, 01:53 AM
The most important thing I learned is to build your business to sell it. and that means alot of things- the most healthy bottom line you can create, purchasing real estate and not renting, trying to run crews instead of solo ( we all will eventually get sick or hurt), and buying commercial trucks that last a long time.

I still miss Eric Elm. He was one of the first guys on this board, and loved his dixie choppers and could stripe like crazy.

Envy Lawn Service
08-19-2007, 02:09 AM
I swear I learned something important on here one time... :confused:

Now if I could just remember what it was. :laugh:

Oh, I remember what it was...
"Beer makes you forget." :drinkup:

Now what was I saying?

Oh well, have one on me, this one is on the house :drinkup: :waving:

Stillwater
08-19-2007, 11:24 AM
The mistakes I made 20 years ago are made on a daily basics by others.
My prices would not fly in Florida
some of the things I read hear want me to bang my head on the floor

Daddy Joes Lawn Service
08-20-2007, 11:32 AM
Alot of good advice to read

MarcSmith
08-20-2007, 12:57 PM
Not to use stairs to get a walk behind in the back yard,
Proper use of shovels,
Mullets and midgets don't look good together,

Just remember most people work inside for a living, drive their car home and then sit inside their house. We have the ability to be outside all day every day....Still not a bad Gig...

LawnBrother
08-20-2007, 04:31 PM
Not to use stairs to get a walk behind in the back yard,
Proper use of shovels,
Mullets and midgets don't look good together,

Just remember most people work inside for a living, drive their car home and then sit inside their house. We have the ability to be outside all day every day....Still not a bad Gig...

Hahaha, they were entertaining, eh?

DLCS
08-20-2007, 04:59 PM
Don't believe everything you read on this site.

nobagger
08-20-2007, 07:05 PM
That most guys have no freakin' clue how to run a business. So I got "informed" so I dont fall into "their" category.

Runner
08-20-2007, 07:46 PM
To believe half of what I see, and even less of what I hear or read.

Envy Lawn Service
08-21-2007, 01:58 PM
Now in seriousness, I have thought about it, and lastnight it hit me that honestly probably the most important thing I ever learned here that has had the most effect is this.....

I learned that my expectations of a commercial dealer were not at all out of line and off base.

I have adjusted my buying decisions accordingly.

Grits
08-21-2007, 03:42 PM
The list is LONG!!! Just about everything on how to run a LC biz. I don't know how I would be doing if it wasn't for this site.
A few other things too:

Envy hates Husqvarna.
Envy loves Lesco.
Topsites is the single most quotable person on LS.
You cannot understand DavidHartzog unless he takes his meds.
The "search" feature needs work.
Moderators are quick.
Tons more but I gotta go back to work.

Harley-D
08-21-2007, 05:02 PM
I've learned how to judge a person soley on what they type.
People like to be right.
People enjoy helping others.
To check where someone is from before reading their post or replying to their post.

I'm sure i've learned more too.

Mrs. H
08-21-2007, 06:16 PM
You cannot understand DavidHartzog unless he takes his meds.

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I think you just saved that man's life! ARGH! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Thanks for the laugh.

Dano50
08-21-2007, 06:22 PM
I learned that Fluid Film (http://www.eurekafluidfilm.com) is the best stuff on the market!

Oh wait, I'm the salesman. I already knew that. :dizzy:

lawnspecialties
08-21-2007, 09:49 PM
I've learned that most LCO's have no idea the basics of Round-Up.:confused:

Stillwater
08-21-2007, 09:54 PM
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: I think you just saved that man's life! ARGH! :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: Thanks for the laugh.

Ya only if he has some meds left after his guys help themselves

Stillwater
08-21-2007, 09:55 PM
That most guys have no freakin' clue how to run a business. So I got "informed" so I dont fall into "their" category.

YES!..........

KTO Enterprises
08-21-2007, 10:36 PM
I learned that grits is the gay looking one in the red cape

nobagger
08-21-2007, 10:40 PM
To believe half of what I see, and even less of what I hear or read.

AHHHHH! the million dollar answer, mine was the 250k answer.