PDA

View Full Version : New Company - New Equipment -

LANSINGENGINE
08-15-2007, 03:41 PM
I Purchased A Out Door Power Equipment Company A Little Over A Year Ago. The Guy Destroyed His Buisness And Now I'm Trying To Rebuild It. He Kept No Equipment In Stock. I Now Carry A Full Line Of Redmax, Echo And Stihl. Thats Set. I Need To Know What Line Of Walk Behinds Should I Carry? Toro? Airens? For Homeowner. And For The Bigger Units Exmark? Scag? Bobcat? And How Do People Feel About Gravely? Please Help I Want To Carry The Best Line Possible That Can Expand My Buisness! Thank You Very Much!!

JBlawncare
08-15-2007, 03:44 PM
I think that it doesnt matter as much what kind of mower you sell but the quality of service. If i could buy a amazing mower with horrible service or an okay mower with great service i would take the okay mower. Have you thought about carrying Ferris?

LANSINGENGINE
08-15-2007, 03:47 PM
No I haven't thought about Ferris. My service is amazing right now. i'm very personable and our lead mechanic has 25 years! i'm getting home owners stuff back in genearally 3 days. Commercial Same day pending parts! I just want a good unit that I can stand behind. and trust that people trust.

lonnie
08-15-2007, 04:10 PM
I love Gravely machines.

lawnspecialties
08-15-2007, 04:52 PM
Around Raleigh, it's mostly Hustler, Deere, Toro, and Exmark in ztr's. But there's probably just as many Toro walk-behinds as all the others combined.

delphied
08-15-2007, 05:06 PM
Service is a must to survive. My picks woulf be Exmark, Skag, and Wright

Supper Grassy
08-15-2007, 05:09 PM
Service is a must to survive. My picks woulf be Exmark, Skag, and Wright
I agree 100%
Have you thought about snapper?

moremow
08-15-2007, 05:30 PM
I bought a 17hp Gravely walkbehind in early spring and it has done a great job. It is a dual hydro and the pistol grips work great for me. It starts nice everytime and cuts great in tall and wet grass as well. A lot of other mowers of course are of good quality too but my gravely is built like a tank. Next year if I land some bigger accounts will get a ZTR 52" by them as well. Dealership here in Sw Virginia is good and thankfully for me it is close. Good Luck.

Godfather
08-15-2007, 05:40 PM
exmark and scag make great products, if you carry a brand of walk behinds, i think it would probably be good to also carry the same in zeros. Some companies like running one products. Plus it may be easier dealing with one distributor.

jimmyzlc
08-15-2007, 05:41 PM
Hustler's are a top line machines a bit more expensive, but there decks are built like tanks, lifetime warrenty on spindles, they use Kohler and Kaw. motors. I love them as a LCO.

MOturkey
08-15-2007, 06:12 PM
I'm quite happy with my Gravely, and my dealer once told me that Gravely was simply super to work with regarding inventory and warranty work.

J&R Landscaping
08-15-2007, 07:22 PM
Exmark & Bobcat for big mowers. Toro for home-owner stuff. Maybe snapper as well. Ryan for Turf renovation products. Little wonder as well!

Skyking
08-15-2007, 09:51 PM
I love Gravely machines. I have a 144Z, you just need to stock parts, my dealer sells to much other brands and can not stock parts for all, I do not like not being able to get a simple part like a belt, but Gravely is good about getting it here in a timely manner.

lawnkid68
08-15-2007, 10:19 PM
I would go with exmark, scag, and gravely. I have a gravely right now and i am very happy with it.

lawnprosteveo
08-15-2007, 11:23 PM
There are alot of good brands and I dont know what most guys have on their trailers in your town but around here, theres a Toro walk behind on almost every trailer.

WREBELMACHINE
08-15-2007, 11:57 PM
I would take a hard look at what others are carring in your area! I have a good friend who went on his own this year but he had been selling three lines for years and when he went on his own they came running to him. there are a lot of brand to choose from but I would look at who is going to support you and be there when you need a favor on a part or a unit! Personnally my pick in a walk unit would be Encore mainly because they cut great and they are just simple and tough.

Bagit
08-16-2007, 07:45 AM
I recently went to and around N. Wilkesboro N.C. and all i saw was bobcat z and w/b cutting. looked they hold hills pretty good. My dream store would have bobcat z's, wright standers, toro t-bar belt drive w/b for a cheaper way to go. Good luck.

nobagger
08-16-2007, 08:23 AM
I love my Gravely! It was priced quite a bit lower than Exmark but of the same quality for sure. Around here Exmark's are considerably more expensive than any other brand. Like some one else said dealer support is something I cant stress enough, bending over backwards for your customer's will set you apart and keep guys coming back year after year. Also having equipment in stock, even though it is expensive, is another key to be successful as a dealer. I hated hearing "well we'll have to order it in". Infact the one dealer who I really wanted to do business with, where I bought my Gravely, seemed to never have anything I needed so I started going to another dealer who is always stocked, fast on shipping if they needed to order it. He is a landscaping/lawn care service as well thats why he wasnt my first choice but now that I've bought quite a few pieces of equipment from him things have been great. He even offered me quite a few lawns to do.

LANSINGENGINE
08-16-2007, 12:11 PM
I really appreciate all your help!!! Everyone around here mainly has Scag, Exmark and BobCat... I got offered a Gravley dealership to go along with my ariens dealership... I was hesatant to pick it up b/c of the fact that I don't see that many of them b/c no one around here sells them. I wanted to do go with it but I wanted to make sure the quality was there before I jumped in to anything!

MTR999
08-16-2007, 12:36 PM
I have Gravely 152 Z, it is '05 model with 23 kawi, it is the best buy for me due to price back 2 years ago. The machine is my breadswinner performing and making me a living, it also cuts as good or better than eXmark in some condition. Scag, Toro, Hustler are other name that I would choose besides Gravely.

nobagger
08-16-2007, 01:48 PM
I really appreciate all your help!!! Everyone around here mainly has Scag, Exmark and BobCat... I got offered a Gravley dealership to go along with my ariens dealership... I was hesatant to pick it up b/c of the fact that I don't see that many of them b/c no one around here sells them. I wanted to do go with it but I wanted to make sure the quality was there before I jumped in to anything!

Trust me the quality is there! I've ran Exmark's, Toro's and even a Scagg for a couple of days, I have had 0 issues thus far and I mow some really crappy, rough lawns, properties that are very "hilly" again, 0 problems. Good luck.:waving:

deere-man
08-16-2007, 05:36 PM
I would suggest Grasshopper mowers. They work great for us, and they offer a lot of accessories for year-round use.

MOW ED
08-16-2007, 07:38 PM
Good to see a South Sider doing well in the business. I grew up on the East Side and had family that lived in Lansing back about 15 years ago. I used to be on Riverdales FD. I don't know what guys are using down there but pick the phone up and bother a few of them. I know they are busy because I was just down there and it is VERY GREEN. Otherwise I would try and have an open house and invite LCO's only for an afternoon. Have a bar-b-q and get to know the locals. I didn't start my business until I was up here in 1995 so I can't really tell you what guys run down there. I run Toro and Walker commercial stuff. Along with Stihl and Redmax. I hope you can cater to the LCO's but you have to make money however you can so the homeowner end is important also, always fighting with Crapsman and Home Depot I would imagine sort of sux. Good Luck and best wishes.

shop22
08-16-2007, 08:58 PM
If you consider Ferris, The you might be able to get snapper pro, snapper or simplicity since they're all kinda one. That may eliminate multiple manufacturers and you still have top of the line equipment.

LANSINGENGINE
08-17-2007, 01:36 PM
My big thing is that I want to be unique but I heard alot of times it is hard to change peoples minds on what they have been using. I carry ECHO, STIHL AND REDMAX. I think redmax is a really good product but some people just wont buy it b/c they don't know the name. I just didn't want to get into a similar situation with my walk behinds. All you guys have been great and thanks for the help. I think i've narrowed my choices down to 2 - Bobcat or Gravely.

jawila
08-17-2007, 06:20 PM
Out here Toro and Exmark are the most popular, and are both great machines. Go talk to the company reps for your area to get a feel on how they would treat you, and their quality of service to you. Will they be there to back you up?

cgaengineer
08-17-2007, 07:33 PM
Toro and Exmark commercial stuff and Snapper for residential around here.

delphied
08-17-2007, 08:45 PM
All you guys have been great and thanks for the help. I think i've narrowed my choices down to 2 - Bobcat or Gravely.

Bobcat? You are pulling my leg right?

WREBELMACHINE
08-17-2007, 11:58 PM
Here where I am there is No gravely or bobcat. It is pretty much all encore and ferris and the only ferris that is popular is the 52" hydro the 36" ferris is a joke compared to the encore.

smcunningham
08-18-2007, 12:20 AM
Scag, Exmark, Hustler is a nice combination of comm eqmnt to carry.
Also how the distributors for these brands in your area and touch base with them on on how long to get parts and products from them to your store.

J&R Landscaping
08-18-2007, 10:43 PM
Bobcat would be my choice!

Envy Lawn Service
08-19-2007, 12:51 AM
One common popular brand for your area...

One brand nobody else has...

One cheap choice, that preferrably no one else has.

This would be different depending on area.

WREBELMACHINE
08-29-2007, 12:22 AM
Listen there are lots to choose from but here in my town is a guy who is making noise a lot of noise he is very respected so he has a good following. He is selling Dixie Chopper, Country Clipper and Encore are his main lines. Might be worth checking into.

Envy Lawn Service
08-29-2007, 01:53 AM
Listen there are lots to choose from but here in my town is a guy who is making noise a lot of noise he is very respected so he has a good following. He is selling Dixie Chopper, Country Clipper and Encore are his main lines. Might be worth checking into.

You still running Encore Prowlers?

I'd like to see some pics of some of yours.
I've never seen one with a diesel.

T Total Lawncare
08-29-2007, 02:14 AM
You still running Encore Prowlers?

I'd like to see some pics of some of yours.
I've never seen one with a diesel.

Check yo pm when you get a chance.