PDA

View Full Version : What do you use to Kill weeds in Beds.

Mirror7m
08-15-2007, 03:08 PM
What is everyone using in plant beds to kill weeds that will not kill flowers and other plants?

Bigred350
08-15-2007, 03:33 PM
Spot spray round up.

bonerigo.1
08-15-2007, 03:48 PM
Round-up, Scythe, Anti Foam, and sometimes minty (smelling) spreader sticker
All mixed into one or five gallon sprayers.

LTL
08-15-2007, 05:55 PM
Granular pre-emergent works well when tossed in the beds throughout the year. Round Up and Fusilade is all I spray.

BUCKEYE MOWING
08-15-2007, 05:56 PM
spot spray prosecutor and use preen in the spring before mulching...

Frontier-Lawn
08-16-2007, 09:17 AM
Prosecutor for small weeds and pull larger ones

LB1234
08-17-2007, 09:50 AM
my employee

cod8825
08-20-2007, 01:43 PM
my employee

:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

That was good!

lawnkid
08-28-2007, 12:04 AM
Razorburn by NuFarm is by far the best we've used and we've tried them all. A little pricey but worth the extra cost. We go through two 64 oz bottles a week on my mowing crew. Give it a shot

TXNSLighting
08-28-2007, 09:40 AM
ive heard about some stuff that is simialar to fertilizer. spread it in there and it can even touch plants. anyone heard of this?

kenel
10-23-2007, 05:18 PM
All mixed into one or five gallon sprayers.

be careful when using sticker and round up. it reduces efficacy greatly -- read the label.

PerfectEarth
10-23-2007, 05:29 PM
Anyone else find it amazing that this basic question has to be asked by a "landscaper?" Shame, shame....

93Chevy
10-23-2007, 08:36 PM
ive heard about some stuff that is simialar to fertilizer. spread it in there and it can even touch plants. anyone heard of this?

I think it's called preen, and it's a pre-emergent.

Or corn glutten meal.

cebe800
10-23-2007, 10:04 PM
We use snap shot as a pre-m. Razorburn once they are up. Snap shot has been the biggest labor saver so far.

SOUTHERNGREENSCAPES
10-23-2007, 10:33 PM
fire...he he he fire fire... lol, coulnd resist.

STRINGALATION
10-24-2007, 01:20 AM

that dont sound natural to me:) :) :) :confused: :) :) :)

ElephantNest
10-24-2007, 07:36 AM
Anyone else find it amazing that this basic question has to be asked by a "landscaper?" Shame, shame....

Nope. Just you.

Marcos
10-24-2007, 11:13 AM
What is everyone using in plant beds to kill weeds that will not kill flowers and other plants?

He asked for something "...that will not kill flowers and other plants?"

Someone mentioned Fusilade II, which is good. Fusiliade takes out many established GRASSY weeds without affecting woody ornamentals. But no one mentioned Dow's Lontrel which is a great over-the-top product for broadleaves like dandilion, clover, etc.
And for those who need to get rid of Canada thistle growing through (whatever) who study REALLY HARD how to use it without causing a lawsuit because of potential damage it can cause from leaching, there's a little known secert called Casoron G. This product is made by Uniroyal, and it is used by Brickman and a few others all over the country on very selected sites JUST in very precise spots where thistle drives landscapers crazy!

Jarradm
10-24-2007, 01:04 PM
Well you got alot of input alright, but....
Lets address what you are wanting to get rid of first. Grassy weeds, broadleafs , and sedges are probably your main problem. Grassy weeds are easily managed with Vantage or something containing vantage. Its an over-the-top post. Manage or sedgehammer will do just fine for the sedges and is an over the top as well. That leaves the broads. Some Honcho(round up) will get the broads out , but just spray the target at low press. I sell a bed treatment service that hinges on Gallery and Barricade. One in the fall and spring. Mix the Vantage and sedgehammer together and the Round-up in another . P.S Strike 3 will not kill monkey grass, either. Hope this helps.

mdlwn1
10-24-2007, 01:39 PM
I learned casaron at brickman. It's awesome....stay away from grass...far away. Years ago we used to spray round up(diluted) over the top of junipers and similar slow metabolism plants with excellent results.

Turf Troll
10-24-2007, 03:06 PM
And for those who need to get rid of Canada thistle growing through (whatever) who study REALLY HARD how to use it without causing a lawsuit because of potential damage it can cause from leaching, there's a little known secert called Casoron G.

I'll have to give it a try next year,

Thanks

Marcos
10-24-2007, 05:14 PM
I'll have to give it a try next year,

Thanks

If you've ever been to LESCO, they still sell a cool little shaker bottle with a tube and deflector tip that, they now, I think, call a 'Gravity Fertilizer Spreader'. They go for less than $20 each I think. They USED to call them 'Casoron Spreaders' some years ago, probably until some nudnik burned the beJesus out of the turf next to the bed where he was using the Casoron spreader to treat around mugos or cotoneaster or whatever else attracts thistle!
Lawsuits (if that was the case) ALWAYS tend to change things! :cry:

Pietro
10-24-2007, 11:46 PM
Jon Green. TRI-MEC

Marcos
10-25-2007, 01:28 AM
[QUOTE=Pietro;2009711] TRI-MEC
You're kidding, right? Tri-mec has 2,4-D in it which is the absolute WORST thing you could put near flowers! The 'D' in 2, 4-D stands for 'dicamba', which is known for its LEACHING ability into soil structure, and has 'crispied' many a begonia! :hammerhead:

KY Bluegrass 03
10-25-2007, 10:34 PM
what would be the best approach to kill thistle and other broads in groundcover

Marcos
10-26-2007, 12:47 AM

To do this during the middle of the heat of the growing season, I'd recommend Dow's Lontrel as an 'over the top' spray. DO NOT add a surfactant to it!

If you're starting out in the spring with well established, well rooted groundcover, and there is not any chance of lateral movement of water from the bed into turfgrass, then I'd recommend Casoron G at the rate of 100 # / acre. It comes in 50# bags, is VERY expensive, but if you use it JUST in KEY 'headache' thistle areas, you'll save lots of headaches for yourself and your crew!

GreenImage
10-27-2007, 12:31 AM

I called my state weed control board for what to use to kill thistle. They recommended a product called "Milestone".
I used it and it is the best thistle killer out there that I've used. Completely wipes it out. It is safe to use in protected areas and wetlands.
You don't have to worry about lawsuits. I sprayed it on 6 acres and it kills only the thistle. Not the wetland grasses around it. I live in Washington and they told me that the state has switched over to using milestone this year beause of its effectiveness.
It's expensive though. You get what you pay for.

If you want info on how to get rid of certain weeds in your area contact your State Weed Control Board. Do a search on it for your state.

BrandonV
10-27-2007, 08:39 AM
nice to see someone else uses snapshot. lesco says i'm about the only guy in their area that puts up the pesos for it. its darn expensive but so is handpulling weeds or spot spraying all the time

lawn dogg
10-27-2007, 10:03 AM
yes Its called Preen and green. It helps control weeds and fertilizes.

Marcos
10-27-2007, 05:36 PM
yes Its called Preen and green. It helps control weeds and fertilizes.

'Preen and Green? You're kidding, right? That's a retail product! You're no doubt getting soaked on the price! :nono:
Someone in Virginia, (around his area) help him out please by getting him out of the 'box store' and into some sort of wholesale warehouse!
Where can he go? Is there a 'Virginia' thread to talk on?

BeautifulBlooms
10-27-2007, 11:31 PM
Snapshot int he spring makes it all year almost, not 100 percent clean all yera but it does a great job. Preen only lasts 3-4 months!

green horizons
10-29-2007, 09:00 PM
I apply pre-emergent of choice/ convenience, then combine hand weeding and glyph. apps. as needed through the season.

Now, Back to this Casaron stuff... I searched, per this post, and cannot find it. Is this a Brand Name or a Chemical Name? Anyone know the manufacturer? Is it a pre-m? Broadleafs or grassy weeds??

Jarradm
10-29-2007, 09:01 PM
[QUOTE=Pietro;2009711] TRI-MEC
You're kidding, right? Tri-mec has 2,4-D in it which is the absolute WORST thing you could put near flowers! The 'D' in 2, 4-D stands for 'dicamba', which is known for its LEACHING ability into soil structure, and has 'crispied' many a begonia! :hammerhead:

The "D" stands for Dicamba ! What the *&%# ?
Dimethylamine Salt of 2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic Acid (2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic Acid ...is the proper term .

Tri-mec type herbicides should be used with caution in ornamental beds, though. Spraying the roots of a plant would allow uptake and jepordize the non target plants. On the other hand, you do spray it immediately adjacent to the beds where there are plenty of opportunities for collateral damage, and rarely causes any problems. I would be far more afraid of the above ground mist, rather than root uptake.

GreenImage
10-30-2007, 08:36 AM
Its spelled Cassron or Casron. I live in washington and you can by it at home depot or any co-op supply store should have it. Home Depot only has smaller home owner bags of it.
I don't think its a pre emergent. I use it all the time though and it works great. I put it down before I put new mulch or bark down or even on top of the beds sometimes and it keeps the weeds down significantly.

Marcos
10-30-2007, 09:25 AM
[QUOTE=GreenImage;2015678]Its spelled Cassron or Casron. I live in washington and you can by it at home depot or any co-op supply store should have it.

No. That's wrong. It's NOT available in retail outlets (thank God!) It's spelled Casoron G, and it's made by many people now, including Crompton and Uniroyal. Just 'google' CASORON G, and you'll get more info than you can handle.
You'll see from the labels that you can't use it around annuals and turf grass.
That's the main reason that I mentioned previously, in the earlier blog, about the invention of the 'targeting' shaker bottles for the use with this product. That's a really good training tool, if not a money saving permanent tool, to use with Casoron. You have to understand that this stuff is not cheap! It's actually higher than Snapshot! But, you only should use it in areas that you know you've had nightmares in the past with weeds: (ie) thistle growing through mugos and cotoneaster :cry: So, I recommend, you'll be actually targeting key spots with it, using your key person from last year's experiences with weeds. And, again, think like a raindrop and stay very comfortably away from turf!

Team-Green L&L
10-30-2007, 10:45 AM
TRI-MEC

Someone needs to re-test!!!:dizzy:

GreenImage
10-31-2007, 12:36 AM
You might not be able to buy in retail stores where you live Marcos but I can go to home depot or any co-op supply store and buy a bag of it right of the shelf. Every state is different. Washington lets you buy most chemicals right off the shelf.
Why do you say Thank God? Casoron is simple and easy to use right.
I just spread some to day in some beds for a customer.

GreenImage
10-31-2007, 12:53 AM
Oh and you don't have to use it only in areas you've had nightmares with. You can use as a prevenative measure around beds and shrubs just as long you understand what it is safe to use around according to the labeled instructions. A lot of my customers request it to be put down in their beds where it is appropriate to use and it works great. I've never had any problems with it.
All you have to do is read the label and understand it and you'll be fine.
Its sold under the brand Lilly Miller.

Marcos makes Casoron G sound like some pretty intense stuff.

Marcos
10-31-2007, 11:30 AM
[QUOTE=Marcos;2009837]

The "D" stands for Dicamba ! What the *&%# ?
Dimethylamine Salt of 2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic Acid (2,4-Dichlorophenoxyacetic Acid ...is the proper term .

Tri-mec type herbicides should be used with caution in ornamental beds, though. Spraying the roots of a plant would allow uptake and jepordize the non target plants. On the other hand, you do spray it immediately adjacent to the beds where there are plenty of opportunities for collateral damage, and rarely causes any problems. I would be far more afraid of the above ground mist, rather than root uptake.

YES! I am humbled, and stand corrected! ;) The 'D' in 2,4-D doesn't stand for dicamba!
(I haven't been in turfgrass chemicals much since the 1980's, mostly nursery, landscape, and arborist work since then)
But the fact remains that 2,4-D has absolutely no business around anyone's landscape!

Marcos
10-31-2007, 11:49 AM
[QUOTE=GreenImage;2016763]
Why do you say Thank God? Casoron is simple and easy to use right.

Well, the reason that I said that is because most homeowners screw up and do not read labels very well. And some landscapers do that, too.

And would you agree to the statement that this product does some serious damage to adjacent turf grass areas in which water would flow out to? Would you agree that you cannot use it around areas where annuals are, or are to be planted soon?
My point is that it IS ''intense stuff'", compared to other granular products mentioned on this blog, because unlike the others, unless you actually adhere to the label, (and maybe use the shaker bottles from Lesco to save $ and better 'target' areas), it could cause MONETARY DAMAGE that a landscaper hadn't seen before from a pre-emergent!

Marcos
10-31-2007, 12:05 PM
Its sold under the brand Lilly Miller.

Marcos makes Casoron G sound like some pretty intense stuff.

It's sold under a whole bunch of different names all around the country.
GreenImage, what 's the A.I.% in your Casoron G?
I checked the Uniroyal label in my garage, and it's 2% dichlobenil.