PDA

View Full Version : Exploding Lawnmower

Mrs. H
08-15-2007, 04:32 PM
Exploding Lawn Mower Destroys Ga. Home

08/15/2007 06:13 AM MDT

Associated Press Writer

JOHNS CREEK, Ga. -- Danny Fendley started more than just his lawn mower when he tugged at its pull cord _ he started a fire that destroyed his home.

The mower exploded Tuesday in hot, parched conditions.

Fendley was trying to start the mower in the garage of his two-story brick home in this Atlanta suburb when the machine burst into flames. Before he could extinguish the fire, it had spread through the garage.

Then his wife tried to toss a can of gasoline out a window as the blaze spread, but she missed, spreading the fuel "everywhere," Fendley said.

The flames engulfed the house in less than a minute. The couple escaped without serious injury.

(This version CORRECTS Corrects to 'cord' instead of 'chord')

topsites
08-15-2007, 07:35 PM
Oh boy, this probably means more safety regulations and anti-stupidity devices are on the way.

Probably a spout-less bullet proof sealed gas can, no hole whatsoever, sold with gas already in it, and you can not make it ignite itself.

Supper Grassy
08-15-2007, 07:36 PM
Why would the wife throw gas?

KTO Enterprises
08-15-2007, 07:40 PM
something sounds like they wanted the house to burn down. Kinda like wont be able to make the payments

tjsquickcuts
08-15-2007, 07:40 PM
Yeah, this happened the other day, just north of where I am....It was a homeowner, and a rider if I am not wrong....The mower was more then likely old as dirt, and haven't had a oil change ever....As far as the wife, I guess she was trying to avoid having the gas catch on fire, but missed and spilled all the gas which was the cause of the house burning down....

Dunn's
08-15-2007, 08:24 PM
yeah because last time I went to move or throw a gas can I made sure I spilt everylast drop all over my house.

arblazeman
08-15-2007, 11:16 PM
Why would the wife throw gas?

Never met a wife that wasn't trying to start something.

Grits
08-15-2007, 11:47 PM
something sounds like they wanted the house to burn down. Kinda like wont be able to make the payments

That's what I was thinking.

MOW ED
08-16-2007, 07:42 PM
Send them a business card. What the heck, his grass will still be growing while they rebuild. Always be helpful!
:rolleyes:

barnard
08-16-2007, 07:55 PM

I'm with you. Can you say Arson? But it'll never be proved.

tallimeca
08-16-2007, 09:30 PM
well, engines don't burst into flames.

Even if he flooded it and it backfired, the air filter usually extinguishes the flames.

He was either using starting fluid........or had a fuel leak. If it was a rider, there wasn't no any primer.

Briggs and Stratton is having a major recall on snowblower engines because they had about 20 cases of engine fires on their snowblower engines, which are their intek engines with a heaterbox and carb cover.

People overprime the, the fuel puddles in the cover, if it backfires when starting it ignites the fuel.

If they read the directions and didn't over prime them, it would neve happen.

Now we have to install a spark arrest screen, cut a notch in the cover to let over primed fuel drain, and put a larger sticker that says prime 2x max on it.

A) Read the directions
B) If you did, you would see where it says not to start engines in an enclosed, low ventilation area.

AKA, a garage or shed. Yet, everyone does it.

Guys, be carefull if you are using enclosed trailors. Make sure you open the vents and when you drop the gate, let some air in before you start your equipment.