PDA

View Full Version : Spike aerator vs Plug aerator

Capemay Eagle
08-15-2007, 05:07 PM
For you basic lawns I am curious, can you get away with just a spike aerator or should I go with a plug style aerator. I was looking in Home Depot this afternoon and I saw they have both models. I know a plug aerator is the way you should go but is it really necessary. Any help??

rodfather
08-15-2007, 06:03 PM
Spike's are worthless, period. Why they are even made I have no clue.

supercuts
08-15-2007, 06:17 PM
the plug that is removed and left on the lawn is as important as the hole it made, therefor, plugs. they break down and help the biology in the grass.

DiyDave
08-15-2007, 10:38 PM
If you want to see a good one, Google Genesis tillage. Its similar to an aer-way aerator, except aer-way got the angles of the spikes backwards, makes you have to add tons of weight to get it to penetrate! With the 5-1/2' Genesis I have I can get a hole 8" into moderately hard ground!:cool2:

rodfather
08-16-2007, 06:40 AM
If you want to see a good one, Google Genesis tillage. Its similar to an aer-way aerator, except aer-way got the angles of the spikes backwards, makes you have to add tons of weight to get it to penetrate! With the 5-1/2' Genesis I have I can get a hole 8" into moderately hard ground!:cool2:

8 inches???

MarcSmith
08-16-2007, 07:00 AM
yeah but a spike still will compact the soil around entry hole.

and why would you need to go 8"

DiyDave
08-16-2007, 07:41 AM
No, It doesn't compact, it relieves compaction. Because of the design of the entry angle, and the relatively small number of tines that go into the ground this thing fractures the soil, rather than compacts. I'm not an expert on the physics of it, but I can see the results. If you go to the genesis tillage site, they can fill you in on the rest. Before I got mine, I never would have thought that such a simple machine could do what they said. I don't have any dog in the fight, so to speak, this is what you would call an unsolicited testimonial, I guess.:waving:

MarcSmith
08-16-2007, 08:00 AM
but the genis isn't a "spike" in the true definitions. even genesis refers to it as a tine and it , like the aerevator shatters the soil. whether through vibration or tine design.

a spike is juts that a spike, a solid tube with a pointed end. and forces its way into the soil by displacing soil particles.

now if you spike aerate, like golf courses and some sports field you do it for playability purposes, and even then they usually top dress with sand or some other porous fill.

Dollar Spot
08-16-2007, 11:54 AM
They both fill a need at least on a golf course. We use both for different reasons and at different times of the year. So it boils down to what type of problem your trying to solve.

Capemay Eagle
08-16-2007, 02:27 PM
This would concern me, because I do not know how deep my irrigation system is, 8" could puncture a line somewhere in the yard..

Gators_Aerator
08-18-2007, 12:14 AM
For the average lawn the plug or core aerator is the way to go. Sure spike does have its place, put that is usually on the golf course.

The spike does compact the soil by forcing it to the sides of the hole it makes. While the core or plug pull out the core it makes.

I guess you could argue that the core compacts the soil around the plug it pulled, but the benefit is the open space with a limited compaction around the hole since the blade is cutting the hole not forcing a hole.

One benefit is room for root growth.