PDA

View Full Version : Introduction + Sod Problem

pj550v12
08-15-2007, 05:35 PM
Figured I'd introduce myself on the forums finally after being a member for a while and lurking the boards. I've been in the buisness for about 5-6 years now and have been branching out to larger work besides strictly lawn mowing and this is where my problem starts.

I recently took on a sod job for a customer of mine, about 550 sqft no big deal. Job went smooth, gets a good mixture of sun and shade and gets watered twice daily and since then the lawn has looked great with the exception of one or two very small brown patches.

There were a few rolls of sod left so I decided to put some of them along my driveway and this is what happens. (Pics) Let me tell you all that I can. The sod arrived at the nursury Saturday morning, was laid at the customers house Monday, and at my house Tuesday. The rolls of sod at I laid were at the bottom of the pallet all that time. The area does get lots of water, I water it twice daily drenching it each time. The area also gets A LOT of sun almost all day. It almost seems as though the sod is two different types of grass, one of which is not very sun/ high temperature resistant. You can see how one different sides of the seams the grass is either green or dead. Also the dead grass started as very thin grass while the grass that is still green has a very broad leaf. What are your thoughts, any info would be great. Thanks in advance.

STRINGALATION
08-15-2007, 05:50 PM
you got more years than me but IMO all that concrete on both side of the sod probably draws away alot of the moisture also did you water the ground the day before laying so it would not be so thirsty. i think more water, i'll bet that crete has it evaporating purty fast

sicnj
08-15-2007, 06:57 PM
i know the sod we get if its isn't laid that day your wasting your time
we take it right off the field right on the ground. if not the roots dry up and die.

MOturkey
08-15-2007, 08:10 PM
I know absolutely nothing about sod, but in Stockton, a town near here which had substantial damage downtown from the tornadoes in '03 they have completely redone the town square. Anyhow, much of the sod they laid last spring looked as dead as a doornail to me, but with time greened up, and now looks great, so maybe there is hope for yours as well?

IN2MOWN
08-15-2007, 08:33 PM
you got more years than me but IMO all that concrete on both side of the sod probably draws away alot of the moisture also did you water the ground the day before laying so it would not be so thirsty. i think more water, i'll bet that crete has it evaporating purty fast

I tend to agree. That driveway also looks like blacktop which will hold in major heat. From what I have experienced that heat will transfer right over to the turf.

DLAWNS
08-15-2007, 08:49 PM
Personally, I think the problem is that you didn't lay it right away. I always lay it the day it is delivered. Also, did you use a light layer of starter fert. and lime? In addition, I can tell you that the concrete and blacktop doesn't help. I hope that helps a little.

ed2hess
08-15-2007, 09:45 PM
In the summer bad things happen if sod sit on pallet for awhile and it looks like you may not have dug the sod in....but just placed it on top. Maybe the water rolled off ....sure looks awfully dry now?

pj550v12
08-15-2007, 10:06 PM
Guys I appreciate all the advice. I knew this wasn't the most benificiary place for grass, we've had a problem with this strip ever since we've lived here, but I didn't realize the extent to which the black top could affect it. The area was tilled, and leveled and starter fert was applied, not lime though, so I think the prep for the area was alright. I think you guys are right and it comes down to the fact that the sod sat on the pallet for probobly 5 days by the time it was laid. Thanks for all the advice again.

STRINGALATION
08-16-2007, 12:58 AM
dont give up !!!! flood that mu#%@% f%*%$&^