PDA

View Full Version : Fru Fru fixtures

High Performance Lighting
08-15-2007, 11:36 PM
I have a long standing policy to never specify or supply Fru fru fixtures. What is a fru fru fixture? It's a fixture that is designed to look nice as an ornament at the expense of the lighting effect that it provides.

Today I have 2 Fru Fru fixtures sprung upon me by the owner while working on their project. They ask me if I'd replace their existing post mounts with these two butt ugly flowerpot/devil's face/glow bombs which they bought from the local lamp store. It was a K-----r brand monstrosity. I've never seen such a thing and hope to never see them again. They have 3 devils faces that must be screwed to the glass jar that supports the pot liner. The glass jar has a 12volt light source under it to provide a glow I suspect. Sure enough 1 of 3 proprietary screws is broken coming out of the box so I cannot succesfully install this thing until a new screw is procured from the lamp store through the manufacturer which is in the mid west. Needless to say this good deed is going to require me to return to this project to finsh installing one helluva beautiful fixture. Just re-inforces my feeling about Fru Fru fixtures and how they have no place on my projects. I'm still wondering how any plants are going to grow in the bath tub of a planter that has no drainage holes. Poor design to say the least.

NiteTymeIlluminations
08-16-2007, 08:57 AM
We could have only grass in our front yard too...or a natural prairie...no ornamental trees and above your dining room table we could only have recessed cans...and god forbid you put a vase on a table...lets all live in square buildings no fountains, no front columns, square windows only...nothing decorative anywhere...actually lets just live hoever HPL tells us to

NightScenes
08-16-2007, 09:01 AM
Go Doug!! Why should anyone get what they want anyway?

Lite4
08-16-2007, 09:51 AM
Hey Mikes right; The fixtures are a pain in the butt, and nothing screams 'I am a homeowner installled job' more than some of these God awful looking goofy fixtures. If I had a homeowner that wanted them I would probably try to steer them away from them too. However, eventually you may have to concede to them. Just hang a sign from those fixtures that says, not mine pal.

NiteTymeIlluminations
08-16-2007, 10:01 AM
I realize that they are a pain in the butt at times but that doesnt mean that you positively can't use them...you gonna walk off a job because your clients wants a tiffany petal fixture? "I wil not use them, sorry..." People have their own tastes...I hate china hats made in brass I think they are boring...does that mean i wont sell them to someone who wants them? I think pool lights are glare bombs but imagine pools without them...

NightScenes
08-16-2007, 10:30 AM
What it all really comes down to is making the client happy. I will make suggestions and educate the client as to what a quality fixture can and will do for their project but if they want fru fru, they get fru fru. I like to place fixtures where they create depth and interest but have had clients that just want "pop". You know what they get? They get "pop". It's their property and their money. They are paying me to do a job for them and therefore the clients gets what they want.

Pro-Scapes
08-16-2007, 03:59 PM
I agree. Not all of us are 4 months booked out. I have had several clients not wish to be involved with the design and just let me know what they want and I do it. 99% of the time they are thrilled. sometimes they want to change a bit after and thats fine. It is THIER property.

I think mike is speaking of thoes$$$ kichler urns ? I have a client who is asking for 2 of them on a project to sit atop a staircase pillar at the landing. Not sure if I agree with them but I will also be reccomending a deck/step light fixture as well.

bottom line... i get input from client... client gets input from me. I get input from client... They get design and installed. Always leave room to expand. Why you dont like fru fru the client may like gaudy and it may fit who they are.... to each his own.

08-16-2007, 08:59 PM
We could have only grass in our front yard too...or a natural prairie...no ornamental trees and above your dining room table we could only have recessed cans...and god forbid you put a vase on a table...lets all live in square buildings no fountains, no front columns, square windows only...nothing decorative anywhere...actually lets just live hoever HPL tells us to

Show me in my statement where I was imposing my values on anyone? I simply stated a situation and an opinion. I agreed to install these fixtures for free and it came back to bite me as is usual when a homeowner supplies and there are parts missing. It's the contractor that get's delayed and/or must source parts . It's a losing proposition especially when the product is junk as is the case here. I don't sell products I don't believe in and 100% fully backup and guarantee. If they want a particular product and I disagree with it then they buy it on their own and I install it and it is what it is or I opt out of the project because it's either not profitable or not going to be a good representation of my work.:hammerhead:

Kate Butler
08-16-2007, 09:15 PM
It's 'frou frou' and it mean frivolous and/or ridiculous.

08-16-2007, 09:17 PM
It's 'frou frou' and it mean frivolous and/or ridiculous.

Thank you Kate , And yes that's a perfect definition of these fixtures.

BUSH LOVER
08-16-2007, 11:31 PM
frou frou fru fru same difference another day.

Eden Lights
08-17-2007, 11:54 AM
I have a long standing policy to never specify or supply Fru fru fixtures. What is a fru fru fixture? It's a fixture that is designed to look nice as an ornament at the expense of the lighting effect that it provides.

Today I have 2 Fru Fru fixtures sprung upon me by the owner while working on their project. They ask me if I'd replace their existing post mounts with these two butt ugly flowerpot/devil's face/glow bombs which they bought from the local lamp store. It was a K-----r brand monstrosity. I've never seen such a thing and hope to never see them again. They have 3 devils faces that must be screwed to the glass jar that supports the pot liner. The glass jar has a 12volt light source under it to provide a glow I suspect. Sure enough 1 of 3 proprietary screws is broken coming out of the box so I cannot successfully install this thing until a new screw is procured from the lamp store through the manufacturer which is in the mid west. Needless to say this good deed is going to require me to return to this project to finish installing one helluva beautiful fixture. Just re-inforces my feeling about Fru Fru fixtures and how they have no place on my projects. I'm still wondering how any plants are going to grow in the bath tub of a planter that has no drainage holes. Poor design to say the least.

I will agree with the above post, we must be educators and guide our clients to good design. While I have already posted my feelings about the these types of fixtures I will say this. I have lost several very profitable jobs because the parties involved vision didn't reflect the design principles of Eden Lights. While we must allow our clients to be expressed into their designs from a creative standpoint, we have a responsibility to them, our profession, and our companies to stand firm about certain proper design principles. What ever type of work that you do today is what you will be doing tommorrow and in the future, so you must decide where your companies niche will be. You cannot do both!

Example: Several years ago I contacted a Landscape Architect to do some design work for me, it went like this.

Yes Mr. Architect does consultations at $120.00 per hour, but first we need to gather some information about your intentions. Where is your project located? How large of a area will be included in the design? Will you have a pool, fountain, water feature, outdoor kitchen, and etc. When will you be ready to start the install? What is your projected budget? Thanks for the information, we hold project meetings on Tuesday and we will get back with you. Wednesday I get a call, Mr. Clemons we have reviewed your project and at this time we will not be able to help you, sorry, goodbye. While I was hot at the moment, I hired one of his past interns and it was the best thing that could have every happened for me. Fast forward to 2007, Mr. Architect is known all over the south for being one of the finest in his field and every one of us would love to have his niche in our field. This wasn't luck for him, he built it with his designs and setting ultra high standards and never compromising. My house turned out wonderful, it was my dream house, it only took a week to sell when i decided that if I kept those big payments someone would be able to talk me into installing a butt ugly flowerpot/devil's face/glow bomb. If I was in this just for the money, yes I might think different.

All you guys are wonderful, I wish I could post more!

Lite4
08-17-2007, 10:29 PM
Bravo Eddie, Well said.

David Gretzmier
08-21-2007, 10:17 AM
Every time I have installed something I did not like, it got under my skin. I would go back and look at the job, and no matter how good everthing else looked, my eyes always went to the thing the customer made me do.

when you are in the position of turning down work, you can be selective about what you do. when you need to pay your bills, whatever most customers want, they get. Economic realities play into my decisions every day.

In the end, I try to stike a balance between "the customer is always right" and giving the customer the best advice and then letting them make the final call on things. It is, yes, thier house and they look at it every day. it should make them happy. I can always take a different street.

I can't really think that force feeding a client my way, them being unhappy and redoing it with someone else a year later is a better result for them or me.

NightScenes
08-21-2007, 11:58 AM
Please understand that in my previous statement I said that I educate my clients. This will, in most instances, persuade them to disregard what they had originally wanted and go with a more proper fixture. I have had a few though that wanted a certain look. They didn't want depth and interest, they wanted "BAM". We tried the depth and interest rout, and then had to go back and give them the "BAM" that they wanted to begin with. At the end of the day, they are happy. This doesn't happen all of the time but when it does, the client will get what they want. They become a happy client and I become happy that they are happy. They tell all of their friends how easy we are to work with and how we gave them exactly what they wanted.

Dreams To Designs
08-21-2007, 12:19 PM
Somethings Fru-Fru can be regarded as art by some and trash by others, but that's what makes every job a unique experience. There is nothing wrong with expressing some artistic license, in moderation.

Kirk

JackTorsed
08-25-2007, 12:08 AM
frou frou fixtures. That is a truly funny concept.