PDA

View Full Version : drought go away.

timmac
08-15-2007, 10:36 PM
I have only mowed 2 yards the last 2 weeks. Some of my yards haven't been mowed in 1 month. when will the drought go away. luckily I do this on the side.

tjsquickcuts
08-15-2007, 10:47 PM
Its bad I know....I was just saying in another post that NE Ala. Tenn, and NW Ga are getting it with no grease....All I need is a half inch to get my through the fall....Any body else almost scalping yards again????....I have been cutting all my lawns down to 1.5 inches...all but those that are being watered and are still looking good...still trying to cut those at over 3 inches just to keep the green on them......

tjsquickcuts
08-15-2007, 10:48 PM
Oh, and if we dont get any rain, this is our last week of mowing until we do get rain.....

timmac
08-15-2007, 10:51 PM
Oh, and if we dont get any rain, this is our last week of mowing until we do get rain.....

my last week was 2 weeks ago.

LawnMowerMan3875
08-15-2007, 10:59 PM
Don't feel bad guys, Its here in Mo. also....suppose to rain tomorrow night, but we all know not to trust the weather man/woman....

Time for me to go to the backyard and do my Indian Rain Dance again...lol

Lawnmowerman3875

Americal Vet
08-15-2007, 11:00 PM
No rain here in Missouri since some time in July. We've got a 30% chance of t-storms tomorrow afternoon and evening, with a high of 100 degrees. Everything is dry and dusty. I've got two contracts on a military installation that require a minimum of two cuts per month. I made the first cuts the 2nd and 3rd of the month. I went out and checked today and they have not grown a bit, not even the weeds. Glad I don't have any equipment payments.

mowerconsultant
08-15-2007, 11:42 PM
I have only mowed 2 yards the last 2 weeks. Some of my yards haven't been mowed in 1 month. when will the drought go away. luckily I do this on the side.

I was in your town today, it sure is dry.. and HOT !!!
Visited with Cirrus and had some lunch at Momo's.....
I sure hope you get some rain in this state, its not good at all right now......

timmac
08-15-2007, 11:54 PM
how did you like our small town? it is brown and dry isn't it. heat index was 109 today at 6:00.

puppypaws
08-15-2007, 11:55 PM

Not only are things hot, dry and dieing, we had the third highest ozone level on record today (202) they told healthy people to stay inside until after sunset.

It is getting pretty bad when you are a prisoner in your own house, we are killing our own environment.

mowerconsultant
08-16-2007, 12:09 AM
how did you like our small town? it is brown and dry isn't it. heat index was 109 today at 6:00.

Sure is a nice town, dry and hot also with out a doubt...
It was 114 on the truck thermometer when we left a dealer this afternoon......

Envy Lawn Service
08-16-2007, 02:02 AM
Man, I don't know... in places around here.... I don't think I can remember it ever being drier or hotter.

I mean it has been OVER 100 degrees SEVERAL days this month.
No idea what the heat index was, and don't want to know...

I mean it is not uncommon for it to hover in the high 90's near 100 for long periods. But it is odd for it to peak well over 100 degrees for several days in a row, drop to 98 and then return...

Hot... and not dry heat... miserable tropical heat!

As for rain... my service area is large and varies a lot in location, elevation and irrigation. This has helped a TON. If I were lucky enough to have all of my accounts within a radius of a few miles from me I'd be screwed!

I go out as far as 15 miles one way. I have some places I haven't missed a cut on all season... except last week, which I took off totally... and on the other hand I have accounts I haven't cut but once all year.

It's been dead dry drought here... to the point where even the irrigated lawns look bad from lack of natural rainfall... but some of the areas have gotten enough of those spot showers to do perfect this year.... yet right here close... forget it.

It was dry and we got a hard storm April 15th... I remember the date because it tore up my house... and since then we have had ONE measureable rainfall.... Puppypaws... when did we get only 3/4 of an inch off of that big rain storm you all got? ....and that didn't even phase anything.

So here close... only two measureable rainfalls since mowing season started.

I've mowed my own lawn twice all year... and right now it crunches when you walk on it. It's so bad I don't even care anymore. During this construction project, I've just been driving truckloads of materials right into the lawn... and I've had pallets of stuff sitting around on it... and stacks of stuff to be hauled away for a while. I actually have a green spot or two right next to some of this stuff from the shade it provides. And speaking of shade... the trees... forgetaboutit... they are dropping leaves, some are full yellow, heck it looks like fall.

puppypaws
08-16-2007, 03:53 PM
rainfall.... Puppypaws... when did we get only 3/4 of an inch off of that big rain storm you all got? ....and that didn't even phase anything.

June 3 from subtropical storm Barry I got 3.1" that save the corn crop and you had .75" at the same time.

JayD
08-16-2007, 05:21 PM
Boy, do I feel your pain......
I just started my comp. this year......Who knew?
This past monthly billing was below 1/2 what I made the first month.
I'm in Indianapolis and I don't think we have had four days of rain in over two months. Doe's anyone know how often this happens?
Jay

Tn Lawn Man
08-16-2007, 06:04 PM
I have 90+ accounts and I mowed a total 15 of those this week. And we did it in about 8 hours.

Next week I am not even sure we can mow at all.

Whew!!!!

Mrs. H
08-16-2007, 06:19 PM
I'm starting to get calls from customers complaining that their grass is dead. And then they admit to having stopped the sprinlers! I refrain from asking them if they would like me to go out and spit on the grass...David says its not good customer service. I don't think I could get a good mouth of spit up in this heat anyway.

tjsquickcuts
08-16-2007, 06:19 PM
We have smog here in Atlanta....added with the heat index it feels like someone has a head lock on you at times....

Went through my entire schedule today, and I gave everyone letters letting them know whats going on, how we are going to handle it, and just to be patient....plus coupons for Landscaping....

This is sure going to put a lot of folks in a pickle at the end of the year. I know my egg isn't as big as I would like for it to be, but I have been doing pretty good with spending and what not....But I am sure a lot of guys will be working part time somewhere this fall and winter just make ends meet.....

puppypaws
08-16-2007, 07:29 PM
We have smog here in Atlanta....added with the heat index it feels like someone has a head lock on you at times....

Went through my entire schedule today, and I gave everyone letters letting them know whats going on, how we are going to handle it, and just to be patient....plus coupons for Landscaping....

This is sure going to put a lot of folks in a pickle at the end of the year. I know my egg isn't as big as I would like for it to be, but I have been doing pretty good with spending and what not....But I am sure a lot of guys will be working part time somewhere this fall and winter just make ends meet.....

Yep, the ozone in Atlanta was extremely high yesterday as was Charlotte at 202 the third highest reading since they have been recording. They told people not to be outside from 3:00 pm to sunset yesterday because it would damage the tissue in your lungs and you would not feel as though you could get enough oxygen.

tjsquickcuts
08-16-2007, 08:29 PM
Well I am finally feeling the affects of being out in the weather....Only working from 8 to 12 tomorrow, and will finish up on saturday.....I was a little lite headed earlier, and had to go lay in some cold water....Feel better, but it was a wake up call....

puppypaws
08-16-2007, 09:17 PM
Well I am finally feeling the affects of being out in the weather....Only working from 8 to 12 tomorrow, and will finish up on saturday.....I was a little lite headed earlier, and had to go lay in some cold water....Feel better, but it was a wake up call....

The ozone and pollution particles were very high in your area today, as long as you stay hydrated the heat want bother you at all compared to not getting enough dissolved oxygen through your bloodstream. Your lungs cannot process the oxygen when it is trying to filter air pollution, this is hurting people a lot more than they realize.

I have it set up on my computer where I can hit a couple of buttons and check the ozone and pollution index within 15 seconds in a great deal of the country. Your area was a 75 ozone level and 99 pollution particle level at 8:00 but it had drop a good bit.

When you feel light headed you are not getting enough oxygen to your brain and that is not good.
That can come from dehydration or not getting enough oxygen processed through your lungs.

Envy Lawn Service
08-16-2007, 10:52 PM
June 3 from subtropical storm Barry I got 3.1" that save the corn crop and you had .75" at the same time.

Thanks...

OK, so that means that right here close we got that storm on April 15th.

Then not a drop until 7 weeks later onJune 3rd, where we got .75"... then not a drop since, which will be 11 weeks ago this sunday.

So two measureable rainfalls the entire mowing season for part of my service area.
This includes my own home, which explains why I've only had to cut a couple of times so far.
Typically, I cut my own lawn once or twice a week.

puppypaws
08-16-2007, 11:14 PM
Thanks...

OK, so that means that right here close we got that storm on April 15th.

Then not a drop until 7 weeks later onJune 3rd, where we got .75"... then not a drop since, which will be 11 weeks ago this sunday.

So two measureable rainfalls the entire mowing season for part of my service area.
This includes my own home, which explains why I've only had to cut a couple of times so far.
Typically, I cut my own lawn once or twice a week.

I don't see how you have anything to cut period. I could walk outside right now and drop a match in my front yard and I have no idea where it would ever stop burning, corn and everything.

Envy Lawn Service
08-16-2007, 11:37 PM
Yep, it's bad.

All my accounts and my own lawn typically always NEED cutting at least once a week. Some could use it twice a week in wetter weather.

This year it's been so dry that I think I have cut my own lawn twice, maybe three times... no irrigation.

Some of my warm season lawns haven't been cut at all this year, just the spring clean up. Late freeze, then drought.

Others of my accounts are like my own lawn. A few cuts this year. Others have been bi-weekly, and a handfull have been cut every week except the last couple.... lucky with spot rain showers to get by.

The irrigated stuff stood up OK but stressed until the end of last month.
It's so dry now the irrigation alone isn't cutting it anymore.
I drove my routes today and did my whole week's work today.

I've done almost nothing this month and I plan nothing else the rest of the week. I'll hit the irrigated commercial stuff starting monday I guess to get the high spots and do some other work because none of those have seen me at all this month.

If it doesn't start raining and raining a lot of useful rain soon, it's going to hurt renovations too.

lucky4511
08-17-2007, 04:56 AM
i live in indy and have been doing this for 15+ years...never have i seen it this dry! my nephew knows a local farmer who told him he has not seen anything like this in over 20 years. my husband and i were out on the bike last weekend and i was truly amazed at the corn crops....they looked just awful. i hope we can get some rain in late summer/early fall just to pretty things up some - too late now to pick up the mowing $$ left on the table this year.

jeffex
08-17-2007, 06:00 AM
our only answer is from the remnants of one of these tropical storms or hurricanes. or move to texas where you need a boat to get to your lawns. worst lawn season so far for me in 14 yrs. It can still be salvaged with some rain though . A normal season is 22-25 cuts and several during leaf maintenance. Any hope for that is lost but a heavy aeration sales push could make up some of the difference. 1 aeration is worth 3 cuts if you can sell it to a customer who normally skips this service or a neighbor. Typically at the end of a drought some lawn guys have moved on and there will be some loose customers floating around to pick up and increase your route. I may even put out flyer's for the first time to get a jump on aeration and seeding customers.

puppypaws
08-17-2007, 07:23 AM
i live in indy and have been doing this for 15+ years...never have i seen it this dry! my nephew knows a local farmer who told him he has not seen anything like this in over 20 years. my husband and i were out on the bike last weekend and i was truly amazed at the corn crops....they looked just awful. i hope we can get some rain in late summer/early fall just to pretty things up some - too late now to pick up the mowing $$ left on the table this year.

I am interested in what the corn looks like in your area because I grow corn in NC, how does it look in comparison to this?

lucky4511
08-17-2007, 10:00 AM
it looks very similar. i told my husband that it seems more yellow in color than the tan look it usually has after it is finished growing and ready to harvest. i think he thought i was nuts...but do you know what i mean?

puppypaws
08-17-2007, 01:58 PM
it looks very similar. i told my husband that it seems more yellow in color than the tan look it usually has after it is finished growing and ready to harvest. i think he thought i was nuts...but do you know what i mean?

You are absolutely correct, there is a difference in corn that matures naturally and corn that is burned up by the heat and sun. The corn you see in the pictures will be ready to harvest under normal conditions around the first of September. This has dried down to harvest moisture levels at a very early stage and I expect it to cut the yield about 40 to 50%. I count the number of rows on the cob and the number of kernels on a row to get an idea of it's production capability.

I am very impressed you notice the difference in how field crops mature naturally and under drought conditions, maybe you can teach your husband about this process. There probably is not one tenth % of the female population that would have this knowledge, you are kind of amazing, tell your husband I said so.

PEVO
08-17-2007, 02:23 PM
wow...what ya'll all describing is normally a typical summer for central tx. 100+ temps very humid, everything brown & dried up, foundations cracking(more), not having to mow for a month or more, not even weeds growing. Watering the grass only close in around the house just to keep it alive & stop more foundation settling. Up until a few days ago we still had NO 100 degree temps & up until 2-3 weeks ago...we had rain almost every day. This has been one of our wettest summers on record. Iv'e had to mow about every 4-5 days. Until today we have had no rain for about 3 weeks(tropical storm erin nixed that) My yard still looks like it's late spring, but i know it won't last for long. I'm sorry we got all ya'lls rain this summer...well not that sorry :). I'm sure soon enuff we will be back to desert like conditions again. To give you a idea as to the rain we've got this year,...our local corps lake was 10ft below normal in december,...2 weeks ago it was within inches of going over the spillway. Thats almost a 46ft. swing in lake levels!

lucky4511
08-17-2007, 05:00 PM
thanks...i'll pass along the compliment to my husband....lol. enjoy the good grass texas...what part are you in? morse reservoir here is so bad that boat docks and boats are sitting in the sand and dirt because the lake is so low.

PEVO
08-17-2007, 05:18 PM
thanks...i'll pass along the compliment to my husband....lol. enjoy the good grass texas...what part are you in? morse reservoir here is so bad that boat docks and boats are sitting in the sand and dirt because the lake is so low.

Central Tx.....Lake is Lake belton. Most lakes in Tx. are in the same shape. Most of the river flooding is done for(except where this tropical storm has dumped buckets of rain in South Tx. the last couple of days)

Americal Vet
08-17-2007, 08:24 PM
It was 104 early this afternoon.... About 45 minutes ago the sky blackened and now it's raining hard, a real toad chocker, the first time in 5 weeks. To whom ever did the rain dance and sent it my way... THANK YOU..!:clapping: :dancing: