PDA

View Full Version : Mulching And Sidewalks

cybervision
08-16-2007, 10:40 AM
I was thinking about going with a full mulch kit on a 60” John Deere 757. Will this cause any problems with a lot of grass being left on the sidewalks when cutting that 3 foot strip of grass between the curb and sidewalks? Especially when the grass is moist. Also, how much blowout is there around the mulched beds and drives?

Thanks, Ed

naturescape
08-16-2007, 02:45 PM
You're NOT going to be able to run a mulcher in late spring. If you make all your turns on the turf, you'll keep a good deal off the sidewalk. But you will wear the turf more. It's a tossup. I normally run my mulch kits from September till early April. During these months they DO save time, and my lawns, even when covered in a couple inches of leaves, come out looking like I bagged them.

ed2hess
08-16-2007, 11:32 PM
On damp days you will have a mess....got to keep the deck off of concrete or there will be stains on mulcing machines....maybe use 36" unit?

Envy Lawn Service
08-17-2007, 01:16 AM
I was thinking about going with a full mulch kit on a 60” John Deere 757. Will this cause any problems with a lot of grass being left on the sidewalks when cutting that 3 foot strip of grass between the curb and sidewalks? Especially when the grass is moist. Also, how much blowout is there around the mulched beds and drives?

Thanks, Ed

Well, I have found that it depends from machine to machine.

Specifically, if you are cutting that narrow strip and going parallel down it, it depends on exactly how that lines up with the blades, what your technique is and MOST OF ALL, how well the blades are actually ISOLATED from each other with the baffling.

If the baffling is really good where it's like having three 21's under there, you can successfully drop the right tires of the Z over in the grass and mow it with the right of the deck towards the curb and not make a mess... IF the baffling is good, because the blades spin to the right.

As far as how the blade path lines up to it, sometimes you may have to just hang the discharge blade over on the turf, and have to make two passes...

It's a total toss up.

You'll have to buy the John Deere kit and try it yourself to truely find out.

cybervision
08-17-2007, 02:42 PM
Thank you for the replies.
Sounds like it may not work very well. I think that I will get the mulch kit anyway to at least use in the fall.
The suggestion of cutting with only the right blade is good. I will definitely give it a try. I guess if mulching works well everywhere else I may have to resort to the push mower for the curb strips.

Thanks

Envy Lawn Service
08-17-2007, 03:34 PM
Yeah... and it will only matter about the sidewalks when it's wet.

robbo521
08-18-2007, 12:45 AM
mulching works great with mine and some blow out.