PDA

View Full Version : time to cut one acre?

David B.
08-16-2007, 12:54 PM
If you had a property, flat land minimum trees, or for simplicity let's just say a football field kind of property.
you have to cut with a tractor and bushhog.
how long would it take to cut one acre?
the property is 200 acres total if that matters.
the average tractor needs how much fuel per hour?
I'm trying to figure out my cost on a job like this.

thank you

David

All_Toro_4ME
08-16-2007, 01:09 PM
We really need more info. How big is your cut? What speed are you mowing at? When you say tractor, is this a WAM or standard tractor with mowing attachment? HP for tractor? As far as time wise for an acre for me, along as it is flat, no ditches, trees things like that, usually about 20 minutes with the Z.

topsites
08-16-2007, 01:26 PM
I understand your plan but I don't think that's going to work out but so good, see what the guys have to say thou.

I myself would stick with some type of a flat rate, such as $20 - $25 per acre but this is only an example, I'm not sure of the per acre rate for brush hogging... But, if it takes 20 minutes per acre then 3 acres an hour at $25 / acre is $75 / hour, and I think that is around where you might want to be with a tractor. All depends again on the size, some can go as high as $120 per hour, hence why I say if you can find the per acre rate you might be better off.

Or see if you can find the tractor's specs, let us know that, might help.

Good luck

hayhauler
08-16-2007, 01:34 PM
If you're bush hogging with a tractor, what size bush hog is it? If a 5 ft, charge around 30/hour, 10ft, 40-45/hour. If you have 200 acres, with a 10ft bush hog, you could finish in roughly 2-3 days (not sure how long you will work) if like a foot ball field and easy to cut.

nmurph
08-16-2007, 01:36 PM
here's your formula

for calculating acres-per-hour: (mph x width of cut/99) x .8

this assumes 80% efficiency, giving some margin for overlap and turn around.

KTO Enterprises
08-16-2007, 03:26 PM
If you had a property, flat land minimum trees, or for simplicity let's just say a football field kind of property.
you have to cut with a tractor and bushhog.
how long would it take to cut one acre?
the property is 200 acres total if that matters.
the average tractor needs how much fuel per hour?
I'm trying to figure out my cost on a job like this.

thank you

David

I do a lot of work like this. I take it by the fact you are in south florida this is for a developer? Bush hogging is not cheap work. There are a lot of people that dont understand how expensive tractors can be to maintain and repair.

First question How tall is the growth? Is it grass of small sapplings?

If grass up to waist high with my 40 Hp Tractor and a 5' bush hog I can do an acre in about 35 minutes.

I generally to be safe shoot for 100 per acre in tall grass, but with that kind of volume I would feel safe at 80 per acre. That would be right at $16,000.

I would set aside at least 2 weeks for this project, and do not give this kind of work away at a cheap price.

You will go broke charging anything less that 90 per hour.

I stay in the 120 to 150 range depending on what I am cutting.

Like I have told many one stump can ruin thousands of dollars worth of equipment. i have hit it all, car wheels, stumps, matresses, concrete chunks, pipes, and other various pieces of steel and brick.

There are a lot of people on this site hell bent on talking people into giving the work away. Dont listen to them. Feel free to call me if you have any questions. 843 252 2704

Kevin

As for fuel I use about 1.5 gallons per hour running at close to 4 miles per hour on waist high grass with a 40 hp machine

delphied
08-16-2007, 03:47 PM
[QUOTE=KTO Enterprises;1931799]

There are a lot of people on this site hell bent on talking people into giving the work away. Dont listen to them.

I couldnt agree more but the trouble is it is very unlikely to get someone to pay even half of what the work is worth. They all know there are plenty of suckers out there.

JB1
08-16-2007, 04:22 PM
we can cut ground like that any where from 7 to 9 minutes. But we aint using a 5 foot bushog.

KTO Enterprises
08-16-2007, 06:48 PM
[QUOTE=KTO Enterprises;1931799]

There are a lot of people on this site hell bent on talking people into giving the work away. Dont listen to them.

I couldnt agree more but the trouble is it is very unlikely to get someone to pay even half of what the work is worth. They all know there are plenty of suckers out there.

Its funny here, companies are giving install work away, but im makin it hand over fist on a tractor. Many people have gotten used to the fact that land clearing work is not cheap anymore. The equipment costs are too much.

David B.
08-16-2007, 08:34 PM
thanks all,
it is obvious that some people give advice on things that they don't have any understanding about.
I learn as I go and it only took me a couple of days to find the answer to my own question.
just for the ones who are interested in knowing a little more about large bushhogging.
deere and progressive are selling equipment that can cut 70 acres a day.
to start "small", you could go with something like this:
TDR (http://www.progressiveturfequip.com/TDR-15_Specs.htm) that cuts 10 acre an hour with a 50hp tractor.
so, that comes to $100/hour if I charge $10 an acre.
three days work for $2000.00, pay employee $300.00 for 20h of work and pay for fuel, that still should leave a nice profit for some beer for me.
the once who get their $50.00-$100/acre, more power to you, maybe you want to subcontract to me in the very near future, :laugh: I should be open for business in about 1 month
ohh, and I can get a TDR115 for $3500.00 completely rebuild.

David

KTO Enterprises
08-16-2007, 09:02 PM
The problem with a piece of equipment like that is it is not multi functional. It is only good for clearing flat land with not obstacles of any kind, like a corn field.

That is not a bush hog. Bush hogs do not have a belt drive. Bush hogs also have a cutting capacity of 2 to 4 inches.

In the bush hogging business you will find you face many variables in the land you will be mowing. Stumps, uneven land and trees will render a 15 foot bush hog unuseable.

That thing is nothing more than a wing finish mower on steroids. Good luck, cutting a field of short bahia with a 50 hp tractor may be possible, but waist high grass will pull the rpm down on my 40 horse john deere with a 5 foot bush hog. It would choke a 50 hp tractor out with that thing.
Oh yeah and if you think you are going to be able to mow a field at 6 mile per hour you are sadly mistaken.

Tractor mowing is 4.5 mph at fastest. usually 4.

Hitting a stump at 6 miles per hour will destroy both your implement and possibly your draft link hookup locations on your tractor.

MOturkey
08-16-2007, 09:19 PM
KTO, some people just have to learn everything the hard way, don't they? I've never driven a farm tractor in my life, even though I grew up in a rural area, so I don't know beans about all this stuff, but even I know that first of all, the PTO horsepower and the rated HP of the tractor are not the same. Unless I'm mistaken (and someone feel free to correct me), you are going to have to have about a 60-70 hp tractor to get a PTO hp rating of close to 50, which, I'm willing to bet, is what those cutting figures are based on, not a 40 hp tractor with a PTO rating of 30.

High grass can be cut very fast with a disk type of mower, on a 100 horse tractor, like is commonly used for haying in this area, those guys really fly, but, as KTO pointed out, that ain't bush hogging, which is what David B. originally inquired about.

David, no offense intended, but I think you should perhaps wait until you get into the "been there, done that" category before you become so self-righteous. Neill

KTO Enterprises
08-16-2007, 09:28 PM
Hey Mo turkey you are correct about tractor ratings. Most tractors are listed as hp at the pto though. My old 2040 is a 40 horse pto tractor. Probably has around 44 at the flywheel.

My new tractor is rated at 40 on the flywheel, but is a hydrostatic so at the pro is really around 35.6. the power reverser transmission is rated at 38. A lot of new tractors have turbos, so this has resulted in getting the most out of small displacement engines.

You are right about 100 horse tractors being able to cut 200 acres in less than a week. I have never seen anyone using one for bush hogging. A tractor that large would require a low-boy to haul it around.

MOturkey
08-16-2007, 09:39 PM
KTO, thanks for correcting me. I wasn't aware that most tractors are rated that way nowadays.

Haying is a big industry in this part of the country (mostly fescue), and using a big tractor, and disk type mower, I suspect one can mow 8 - 10 acres per hour (I have a friend who does a lot of this, I've heard him say, but will ask him again), but as I pointed out before, this isn't bush hogging, merely mowing on a large scale.

Around here, at least, bush hogging most often involves clearing rough land, usually with woody growth up to 2 inches or more in diameter, and 10 ft. bush hogs are not uncommon.

KTO Enterprises
08-16-2007, 09:47 PM
I would have a 7 foot bush hog for field work but I do not know if the tractor would power it. 5 ft bush hogs around here are the norm. Nice and narrow, so they are good for getting into lots to get between trees to get the under brush. I only cut up to 2 1/2 inch diameter. Anything lager and I refer them to this guy.
www.oliversbushhogging.com They get upwards of 2,500 per acre. And its well worth it.

KTO Enterprises
08-16-2007, 09:49 PM
I would have a 7 foot bush hog for field work but I do not know if the tractor would power it. 5 ft bush hogs around here are the norm. Nice and narrow, so they are good for getting into lots to get between trees to get the under brush. I only cut up to 2 1/2 inch diameter. Anything lager and I refer them to this guy.
www.oliversbushhogging.com They get upwards of 2,500 per acre. And its well worth it.

Oh and I messed up in my previous post. Most older tractors are rated at the pto. The newer ones are rated at at the engine, but specifications usually also list pto hp.

JB1
08-16-2007, 09:55 PM
you mean mowing like this.

fiveoboy01
08-16-2007, 10:19 PM
lol, I'll tell you this, I have zero experience bushhogging, and from the second I read your first post, I knew you were nuts to even attempt to do it for 10 bucks an acre.

Newsflash, even my no-bushhogging ass is smart enough to know you're not going to cut 10 acres per hour with that thing.

I suggest if you do not want to screw yourself, you tell the guy an hourly rate of 100-120 per hour, and he can take it or leave it.

I get so frustrated with people who are eager to make a few thousand dollars, they're so excited that they can't see the forest for the trees, and they have no idea they're about to lose their rear big time. The MOST frustrating thing is when they won't listen to people who have experience and are trying to give the correct advice, and then the OP simply brushes that advice aside.

fiveoboy01
08-16-2007, 10:20 PM

That's a nice tractor:waving:

KTO Enterprises
08-16-2007, 10:40 PM

sweet case international. I dont see many around these parts. Lots of new holland, John deere and Massey fergusen.

Looks like a 60 to 70 horse tractor.

Now that will pull a multi spindle bush hog and do an acre in 15 minutes or so easily.

David B.
08-16-2007, 10:45 PM

http://www.lawnsite.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=87058&stc=1&d=1187312136

OK, my bad.
I think since many started to call it bushhogging, I thought that's what it is called and than I found that those machines can cut large amount of acreage per hour and nobody mentioned any other name for this.
so what is this called, just mowing grass on a large scale?
right now the land is about 2inches of green grass.
it looks more like this:

http://www.confluence.org/cn/all/n39e108/pic8.jpg

KTO Enterprises
08-16-2007, 10:51 PM
I would go buy 2 or scag 72 inch sabre tooth tigers. Both mowers operating will cut close to 6 acres a day. Thats 3 and a half to four days to do 200 acres. You are also guaranteed a better quality cut than a wing mower. I would charge around 500 per day per mower, so around 3 to 4 grand per cut. That would be around 25 dollars per acre.

cantoo
08-16-2007, 11:07 PM
Progressive Turf Equipment is about 45 miles away from me and they sell all over the place. The mower you are looking at is for cutting 1/2" to 4" max and fairly level ground. Some here didn't read your description of a "football field type of property" but did read the part about using a tractor and bush hog. Two completely different types of machines for each. I suspect you are looking for a wide area mower and not a bush hog. Used machines like the one you are needing go pretty cheap around here and for another few dollars you can get them running like a new one. I've been thinking of buying one just to have around but haven't yet.

JB1
08-16-2007, 11:10 PM
thats a Case JX 95, a 95 hp tractor puling a 15 foot woods batwing, most mowing I do is not as brushy as the photo, with a outfit like this thats why I can mow 5 or 6 mph.

Sammy
08-17-2007, 11:22 AM
thanks all,
it is obvious that some people give advice on things that they don't have any understanding about.

It is obvious that you need to do more research on quality equipment.

............... ohh, and I can get a TDR115 for $3500.00 completely rebuild.

David

The TDR115 looks to be a cheap type finish mower.
Mowing that much (200 acres and more ?) you would be lucky to get one or two seasons out of it. :nono:

With our 9 foot mower, ran by a 100 h.p. tractor, we can cut 21 acres in about 2.5 hours.

You should look at these if you are serious about large area mowing.
The cost would be a lot more than you may be able to afford, but if you are going to do this and more large areas, it will pay for it's self.

http://www.aldermans.com/Woods/Jpegs/Batwing-3180.jpg
Woods Batwing Mower

All_Toro_4ME
08-17-2007, 12:10 PM

Don't come on this site to ask us questions after all of the experts give you advice and then make comments like that.:nono:

KTO Enterprises
08-17-2007, 06:08 PM
Don't come on this site to ask us questions after all of the experts give you advice and then make comments like that.:nono:

I thought that was the lawn site way

dhardin53
08-18-2007, 06:55 AM
You need the right equipment for the job. Many here have addressed that but just what to buy is the question.

My 5 foot Z and 5 foot behind totaling nearly 10 foot cut can mow grass in a open lot or field at about 6 to 7 aces per hour. The total hp of the two units is 37hp and I burn about 2.5 gallon a hour. What I charge varies for $75 to $120 per hour.

If a guy dose not have the right equipment (to small) and charges a higher price than me. Would spend twice as long on the job then complains that he don't get the work. And complains that I don't charge enough. I don't Loose money charging a average $100 a hour for my time and equipment. And i keep it busy.

For the guy that wont unload the equipment for less than some ungodly amount. Well ok it your business, but how much are you making with the equipment setting in the shed? Or a better question, is it the right equipment for the job.

I like the term "multi function", One or two peaces of equipment that can do several mowing task both large and small and do it fast.

David B.
08-18-2007, 01:46 PM
I already said "my bad".
One of the experts could have thought about the possibility that I might be using the wrong word for what I'm trying to do.
I hope you don't hang me for that.
so now that it is obvious that I want to mow a large football field like area (and not bushhogg it) , I hope we all can move on.
so again, my apologies.
I hope I still get some good advice with many questions I might have in the future.
It will still take a couple of weeks until the final decision will be made, but if I get into this business, you can bet to hear more from me (aka lots of stupid newbie questions).

David

cantoo
08-18-2007, 09:26 PM
David, when you are buying equipment like this you need to have a few customers to work for. If you only have one customer and he bails on you the big money equipment is sitting and guys like me buy it for peanuts. Most guys that do this type of work already have the tractor for other work and the mowing just keeps it busy.
A72" z can cut a lot of grass and you can move up to the bigger jobs and equipment.

JayD
08-18-2007, 09:43 PM
One acre question please.
While your on the topic of cutting one acre, may I ask this question.
This is not with a bushog, but with a 52" WB. One acre with two sides of property with reveins, but when not holding water, I can mow right through it, but most of time I have a helper on it with trimmer. How much do you think I should charge? It takes one houre to do. He is done trimming about the same time I'm done mowing. Thanks for your input.

David Gretzmier
08-19-2007, 01:16 AM
david, if this job comes your way, I'd go with a used tractor and a used large batwing type mower. If your client falls through it will be easy to get your money back out of those two items, and you have the money from the job. If the client keeps you on long term you can upgrade your equipment as finances allow. the 72" ztr route requires you to go faser to get the same amount of production and it will jar your body alot over a few days. and it is harder to find buy and resell a 72" ztr mower.

as far as what to charge, the market will determine a fair price. If you are charging too little, you will go broke. the repairs and maintenance will get you. If you charge too much, someone will come along and steal that job. Most tractor guys operate at 100-125 per hour, and there is a reason most don't make 200 and most don't make 50.

good luck.