PDA

View Full Version : bad accident

CLARK LAWN
08-16-2007, 04:01 PM
I just got back from a call with the FD were a 17 year old was hit in the head wih something that came out from under a ZTR,he was standing about 75-100 feet away from the mowing and it hit him so had that he has a 6" laceration across his head and possibly a fracured skull. He was unconsious for 2-3 min. has now idea what happened. we flew him out to the hospital were my sister works in the ER she told me that he is in critical condition and was back unconsious by the time they reached the hospital.

Supper Grassy
08-16-2007, 04:03 PM
That stinks
Do they know what company was mowing and did he stop?

clc19chase
08-16-2007, 04:05 PM
was he a by stander or a employee?

deere-man
08-16-2007, 04:20 PM
Thats one of my biggest fears when mowing in town, with people around you. Theres always that possibility of discharging a rock or something that could really hurt someone if hit by it, especially in the head.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
08-16-2007, 05:01 PM
Simple,blade blockers on all our equipment bottom line.

KrayzKajun
08-16-2007, 05:31 PM
SHould have been mulching!! Not side discharging. I am a fire fighter too and have seen an accident like that. An employee of a bush hogging company around here was following the bush hog in a golf cart. The tractor ran over a cinderblock and threw chunks of brick everywhere. Guy followinf in hte golf cart got hit in the face with a piece of brick about the size of a grapefruit!!

CLARK LAWN
08-16-2007, 06:18 PM
he was a by stander this was at a commercial place and he was in the parking lot with some friends. the mowing company is the ones that called the ambulance.

KTO Enterprises
08-16-2007, 06:27 PM
SHould have been mulching!! Not side discharging. I am a fire fighter too and have seen an accident like that. An employee of a bush hogging company around here was following the bush hog in a golf cart. The tractor ran over a cinderblock and threw chunks of brick everywhere. Guy followinf in hte golf cart got hit in the face with a piece of brick about the size of a grapefruit!!

I wont allow anyone within a square acre of my tractor.

If I am working in a residential neighborhood I tell the HOA that they need to mail the neighbors on all sides of lots that I am doing stating the day that i am going to be there, and that anytime I am on the lot near their house they need to stay inside the home, and they should not try to approach me while i am on the machine. It can be a pain and delay the work a little but it only takes one accident.

MOW PRO LAWN SERVICE
08-16-2007, 07:55 PM
This tuesday i was mowing a very small residential i have three in a row,in the backyard with a scag hydro wb,well here comes a little dog pure pet barely got my blades kicked off.

South Florida Lawns
08-16-2007, 08:37 PM
and thats why I mulch

chuck bow
08-16-2007, 08:58 PM
Just put the advance chute system on the walkbehind because picked up a rock for the second time this year and broke another car window . Broke one in first 13 years in biz and now 14 th year have broke 2> Better a car window than a person, people havent a clue because they will walk so close to a running mower if it would throw a rock it would prob kill them

lawnprosteveo
08-16-2007, 09:14 PM
It amazes me when people try to come up to you when you are mowing. They really dont have a clue. I guess this story makes a strong case for mulch kits and blade blockers.

delphied
08-16-2007, 09:17 PM
Mulching doesnt get it up here in Michigan as a rule. I use a powerchute blocker.

CLARK LAWN
08-16-2007, 11:03 PM
new update the object that hit him came out from under the trim side of the deck, so blade blockers or mulching would not have stopped this. they found a flat piece of rock about 1.5"x 4" with blood on it about 10 feet away in the parking lot. He has a fractured skull and blood on his brain he was going in for surgery when my sister left work this afertnoon. may be possibly brian damaged for life.Something to think about for those of you who dont have insurance!!!

swingset
08-16-2007, 11:55 PM
new update the object that hit him came out from under the trim side of the deck, so blade blockers or mulching would not have stopped this. they found a flat piece of rock about 1.5"x 4" with blood on it about 10 feet away in the parking lot. He has a fractured skull and blood on his brain he was going in for surgery when my sister left work this afertnoon. may be possibly brian damaged for life.Something to think about for those of you who dont have insurance!!!

Yes, definitely a reason for insurance....and even with all the safety features in the world, accidents happen. That's just life. Hope the boy recovers.

procut
08-17-2007, 12:10 AM
Definatly too bad. I just hate hearing about stuff like this. I'm surprised it flew 75-100 feet though - thats a long ways. Try to keep us posted if you can.

KS_Grasscutter
08-17-2007, 12:14 AM
I hope that LCO has good insurance...

Envy Lawn Service
08-17-2007, 12:31 AM
Freak accidents happen despite your best efforts.

That's why insurance is a must, not an option.

If the LCO is not insured... it's GAME OVER.
If he's a sole proprietor he stands to loose everything.

I myself had a rock fly out from under a mulching deck once.
A few golf balls too.

I also told the story here of a guy I know who had his wife fly out of the house like they were under attack. His dog carried one of those round hambones into the yard and while mowing, he launched it through a second story window of his house, where it proceeded through the room and through the wall on the other side.

I also know a commercial guy who discharged something through the sidewall of a customer's house.

I was also told the story of an LCO mowing a commercial site in town. He was a ways from the road where he wasn't slinging grass into the road. I think it was an autoparts place?... Anyways, he hit something and it discharged towards the road and hit a passing car. The really sad part is that it went clean through the door of the car and killed the female passenger instantly.

swingset
08-17-2007, 12:39 AM
I'm surprised it flew 75-100 feet though - thats a long ways.

If it's the right weight and size, an object can fly waaaay farther than that and still retain a lot of energy....especially if it's "slung" off of the blade instead of just impacted by it. Blade tip speed is roughly 215mph, so if something big or with a good bit of mass comes off of the tip right it's a missle.

I hit a piece of rebar that flew off the blade of a bush hog (with a much lower blade speed than a ZTR, mind you). It flew through TWO sides of a barn, one side it stuck right through a 2x4. It was about 40 yards away from the barn when I hit it. If it would have hit a person, it would have sailed right through them.

dave k
08-17-2007, 09:22 AM
Gwinnett County Ga. schools like to use the Hustlers rear discharge mowers especially with all the students.

lawnboy858
08-17-2007, 10:17 AM
That is horrible, and it should be a reminder to everyone that cuts commercial accounts, or even residential, that if there are children, kids, or any people at all that are not a safe distance away, you need to turn off your PTO until they walk by. But if they are stationary, you should walk over to them and tell them they need to leave the area until your done mowing.

As for they boy that was hit, i will be praying for him and i suggest you all do the same, it can never hurt to say a few words.

chuck bow
08-17-2007, 01:31 PM
Man after reading this stuff makes me nervous to mow anywhere exp commercial accounts even with the blade blockers on

regl
08-18-2007, 07:43 PM
Man after reading this stuff makes me nervous to mow anywhere exp commercial accounts even with the blade blockers on

If you really want to get nervous, take a drive up my way. Most contractors take the guards off their mowers. Than they mow right next to the road discharging toward traffic.

lawnboy858
08-18-2007, 09:33 PM
If you really want to get nervous, take a drive up my way. Most contractors take the guards off their mowers. Than they mow right next to the road discharging toward traffic.
Now that is seriously scary, i don't know how they get away with that.

captbob
08-18-2007, 09:49 PM
I picked up a Chain link dog Choker with my 52 and I was very glad I had my plate on It would have made one nasty projectile . My 13 year old son often
works with me and cutting and trimming in the same yard . Sure makes you stop and think I just couldn't bear anything happening to my boy . Wet or dry my mulching plates are always on.
Da Capt

Eric D
08-18-2007, 10:37 PM

Regl,

If the contractors have insurance he might find they will not pay if the operator removed the safety equipment on their unit. Then again, manybe they don't have insurance!

Eric D