KrayzKajun
08-16-2007, 05:34 PM
Very nice work!

JRSlawn
08-16-2007, 05:35 PM
Thanks my arms are still sore from that one

paponte
08-16-2007, 06:53 PM
Any drainage field or grid used? Could be wrong, but 5 courses before backfilling? :confused:

Nice and straight, only things I would have done differently would be to split the end block and caps.

JRSlawn
08-16-2007, 07:42 PM
Paponte it is backfilled with 57 limestone they were out of washed and a drain tile that porst out at the low end yeah we didnt backfill every course and I probably should have split the ends but all in all I think it came out good we are going to add a set of steps on the end some how the customer just decided. oh well

Mike33
08-16-2007, 08:10 PM
Did you grid? first pic didnt look like you had enough room for gid, i would of gridded back around 4' min. other wise looks good glad to see others dress like i do on job.
mike

JRSlawn
08-18-2007, 09:56 PM
Yeah Mike I try to atleast wear a company shirt when we have to work sundays or sometimes even sat we ware whatever we want you have to be comfortable

etwman
08-19-2007, 07:11 AM
You guys need to start using grid on these walls. I'm serious about this. There should be two layers, 6' deep at least in this wall. Your overdig was not far enough back to indicate the use of grid. We see it way too much on this site.....nice straight walls, no grid. This pic below was a local guy that put a wall up two years ago, similar to this one. NO GRID! Why? Because he was stupid. Almost the same surcharge as the above posted wall. It lasted 18 months. Original quote from a guy who didn't know what he was doing ....$18,000.00. Price for us to have engineering work done, tear it out, and reconstruct it $48,000.00. All the block will be chucked because it wasn't the right size to begin with. There was no grid and little drainage.

For the love of God do it right the first time.

tthomass
08-19-2007, 02:30 PM
Looks like that slope needs work in addition to the wall........bet that was a fun job.

JRSlawn
08-19-2007, 03:53 PM
The top teir of the wall has 1 pull of grid it tops out at 4' I will get some pics up I took a pic of the grid I probably should have put another pull on the next tier but our unilock guy said there was no need for this product

JRSlawn
08-19-2007, 03:55 PM
as far as the grade behind the wall goes that was what the customer wanted he is going to plant some ground cover and put a fence up about 6 feet back from the wall

etwman
08-19-2007, 05:09 PM
I hope your "unilock guy" is going to guarantee your project because I certainly hope your not going too.

I'd be willing to bet a truck on it that any reputable engineering firm would call for three layers of grid at least 6 feet back at 2' intervals. One on top of the footer block, one a third up, and the other two thirds up. That's a pretty good surcharge on that wall. To add insult to injury there's not drainage outlets in the front of that wall. There should be one every 20' on that wall.

JRSlawn
08-19-2007, 06:10 PM
Allright Jared I am not going to get in a pissing match with you Jared the drain ports out on the low side of the property there is enough grade change there the nieghbors lot is way lower then the customers house if that helps the pipe does have a sock on it and it is back filled with 57's I asked my unilock guy before we started the job and that is what he told me to do I am no enginer but they have a few at unilock. They said anything less then 4' needs no grid anything above does. I am going to drop it right here.

kootoomootoo
08-19-2007, 11:09 PM
Allright Jared I am not going to get in a pissing match with you Jared the drain ports out on the low side of the property there is enough grade change there the nieghbors lot is way lower then the customers house if that helps the pipe does have a sock on it and it is back filled with 57's I asked my unilock guy before we started the job and that is what he told me to do I am no enginer but they have a few at unilock. They said anything less then 4' needs no grid anything above does. I am going to drop it right here.

Its more than 4 feet....

Adam's Lawn and Garden
08-19-2007, 11:29 PM
What do you mean you didn't backfill every course? Also, looking at it, it appears all the water above the wall is going to come behind the wall and sit.

ChampionLS
08-19-2007, 11:50 PM
In your photos, the drain pipe appears to be at the 4th wall course in elevation. It should be above your base course on the 1st exposed row.

lawnkid
08-20-2007, 12:42 PM
I agree with Jarod an Paponte.. That wall won't last long.

Jeff,
Those guys from UniLock are idiots when it comes to engineering walls. I had them come out and engineer a wall which they required no grid for, yet when I had another engineer come out, he said minimum four tears. I like Unilock pavers and seating wall blocks but I'm not a big fan of their srw blocks. Best of luck.

etwman
08-20-2007, 01:09 PM
Jeff -

I'm not trying to rip new rear ends here and I'm sorry if it came accross that way. I just see it way too often. Guys building walls that are going to come down. No one realizes what a wet, heavy surcharge will do to an SRW if it is not reinforced and drained correctly.

That block, if built correctly, should nearly be a facad. I was at a meeting the other month where they built a wall, reinforced it with grid, compacted it, then removed the wall and everything behind stayed, with the exception of the clean stone. Then they ran a skid loader across the top. No fill moved, that was built correctly. That's how grid works if implemented right.

Just make sure you build them right, that's all I ask.

JRSlawn
08-20-2007, 06:44 PM
Jared I understand and I was sorry to come off that way. From now on I will get some more feedback on the next wall and obviously not from the unilock guy I stand behind my product and will tear down and reconstruct if we have a problem with it. I appreciate the help

Mike33
08-20-2007, 08:58 PM
You guys need to start using grid on these walls. I'm serious about this. There should be two layers, 6' deep at least in this wall. Your overdig was not far enough back to indicate the use of grid. We see it way too much on this site.....nice straight walls, no grid. This pic below was a local guy that put a wall up two years ago, similar to this one. NO GRID! Why? Because he was stupid. Almost the same surcharge as the above posted wall. It lasted 18 months. Original quote from a guy who didn't know what he was doing ....$18,000.00. Price for us to have engineering work done, tear it out, and reconstruct it $48,000.00. All the block will be chucked because it wasn't the right size to begin with. There was no grid and little drainage.

For the love of God do it right the first time.

looked like a whole monntain full of water coming down on that wall.
mike

ChampionLS
08-20-2007, 10:32 PM
It's really no big deal to install Geo-grid. Even if you had to install it at every other tier, big deal. You can un-roll it, cut it with scissors, pull it tight and continue building. Leaving it out can cause a major catastrophe.