PDA

View Full Version : Too Fast?

lawn guy
08-16-2007, 08:20 PM
I had a customer change service because she said my crew leader mowed too fast. I asked her if there was a problem with the quality of the job, she said no, you just mow too fast. Am I missing something here?:confused:

MOturkey
08-16-2007, 08:25 PM
Takes all kinds, doesn't it? You should have asked her if she would have preferred you worked slower, and done a crappy job. :)

lawnprosteveo
08-16-2007, 09:05 PM
Ive had some of those customers. Its a chore trying to educate them on the fact that I run a lawn BUSINESS...Im not little Johnny down the street pushing his murray mower to the neighbors.
Let them know you have to be fast/effecient in order to keep your prices competitive.

privatelawn
08-16-2007, 09:11 PM
today I timed 2 lawns next to each other ( most of all our lawns are the same size), we mowed both in 9 minutes total, 2 guys plus me... I do get alot of people when they hire me telling me the last guy only spends 10 minutes on there lawn and they seem to not like that much but thats all there getting from me

delphied
08-16-2007, 09:14 PM
I got 4 new accounts because the guy mowed too fast. He did a crap job though. Ill take em

J&T Kiev
08-16-2007, 09:29 PM
I have, older customers who are of the mind, they pay you x amount of dollars, you and your helpers should take X amount of time. I't's terrible to pay the 30$ for the 8 to 10 minutes it takes to knock their lawn out.
Somebody else stated it perfectly, this is a business, one you must provide quality work, while being as fast and efficient as possible. They don't much like hearing about the thousands we spent on those nice shiny machines to accomplish that quality and speed with .

grassgirl4
08-16-2007, 09:40 PM
Ha!! As was commented, I agree: seems to me that a good portion of people think a 'good' job should take a long time...that by seeing the operator on their property for a long time, they're getting their money's worth. Maybe they don't like the idea of people doing well [financially] 'cutting the grass'...I seriously think that is it!!

deere615
08-16-2007, 09:53 PM
My dad always tells me I mow to fast. I tell him my mower can cut it without leaving any uncut grass and my work looks good. Time=money

ed2hess
08-16-2007, 10:13 PM
It is an old people thing............they remember working for $5 an hour 40 years ago. Our new policy is if you are going to be home when we mow, we aren't interested in your business. I am old and I sort understand their thinking.

beano
08-16-2007, 11:07 PM
I tell all my customers that complain that if they spent $8,000 on a lawn mower they could mow fast too!

topsites
08-16-2007, 11:14 PM
There is a difference though, between a smooth operator and a reckless one.

Customers don't always say what they mean, but I find reading between the lines can give us hidden clues as to what the problem might be. I mow super fast when I can get away with it, but over the years have learned some important lessons as well.

You can't cut super fast on your first time around any yard, only by the time you're familiar with the lot's peculiarities can you pick up speed, that is, if you can handle the machine in the first place. There's no secret to going full throttle in fifth gear, and to a point you can't learn until you try, but either you handle the machine or it handles you, the percentage of your control over the machine determines recklessness.

Now how much responsibility will you take if something happens, will you suck it up and suffer in silence and finish out the working day when you fly over the handlebars, or do we have to call an ambulance?

Then comes the turf, an operator in control is less likely to damage this, same with objects and fixtures around the yard (such as cars).

So a reckless operator might first give the customer nightmares concerning liability should the operator get injured, next they might be concerned about the turf which can be damaged by tire spin and scalping, last but not least a reckless operator smacks a heat pump and who ends up responsible?

It is something that can't be determined but either by observation, which an employee might operate different if you're watching, or keep listening to the customers... If only ONE out of your whole base voices this complaint, you can likely dismiss it or chalk it up to circumstance and bs. But if you keep hearing this same complaint over time, even on occasion, then I would say they're trying to tell you something.

You might just mention it to your employee at this time, there's no telling and he may well be a highly productive, well-behaved guy and the customer simply had this problem paying $35 for 20 minutes, too...

You never know, just keep it in mind, what I would do.

Peace out

LindblomRJ
08-16-2007, 11:57 PM
Topsites thank you for the 10 minute dissertation. However, It would be reasonable to say the operator has a fairly good idea layout of the lawn and potential hazards. (Just venturing a guess.)

Until you piped up not one mention was made about being reckless.

swingset
08-16-2007, 11:58 PM
Had a customer tell me she'd never seen anyone cut a lawn so fast, I told her she should see me in bed. I'd be back in front of the TV before the commercial is over.

;)

LindblomRJ
08-17-2007, 12:07 AM
Had a customer tell me she'd never seen anyone cut a lawn so fast, I told her she should see me in bed. I'd be back in front of the TV before the commercial is over.

;)

That is funny. About spit Mountain Dew all over the keyboard.

pclawncare
08-17-2007, 12:12 AM
I mow my neighbors yard its about an acre he has a generac riding lawn tractor from somewhere i think lowes or home cheapo im not sure but his wife calls it his go cart and i guess she thinks its fast. He had neck surgery and ask if i would mind mowing it not a problem very nice people helped me out alot in the past. So i bring my grasshopper home one night 61" deck knock it out pretty quick anyway he comes over when i was out side the next nigth and tells me his wife said he needs to get a new go cart. I told him that i dont get paid extra for going slow. He had a good chuckle at that one

cgaengineer
08-17-2007, 07:12 AM
Coming from a company that does land surveying think about when we send a bill to our customers after we have used RTK GPS instead of a conventional electronic total station...the time saved is tremendous. So what am I supposed to do, charge them less because we got job done faster...nope...with speed comes a price...equipment is expensive.

deere-man
08-17-2007, 05:24 PM
I had the same type of problem with an old man I just started mowing for this year. He asked if my crew and I could push mow his yard, as oppossed to using our zero turn mower. I guess he thought that since he had to push mow when he mowed it, so should we. He was wrong. We continued to mow it the way we did originally and I guess he got over it. Time IS Money.

DuraCutter
08-17-2007, 11:34 PM
Topsites thank you for the 10 minute dissertation. However, It would be reasonable to say the operator has a fairly good idea layout of the lawn and potential hazards. (Just venturing a guess.)

Until you piped up not one mention was made about being reckless.

Well, topsites is sort of spot on right. They don't like the speed because most guys use machines that are way too fast for a residential account.

Reckless comes to mind. My son drives fast and doesn't even realize he's doing it. And that's in a car. The faster the mower, the faster the employees will push it.

In a nutshell, that's why we don't mow residential, too many problems and too many opportunities for owners complaining. The condos we do, we use 21" mostly and it's hard to speed on those. :laugh: :laugh:

David Gretzmier
08-19-2007, 12:40 AM
what you guys miss is the ability folks have to figure out what they are paying per hour. most folks are actually ok with paying 65, even 75 per hour, but when they pay 35-45 dollars for 10 minutes work it is tough for them to get the math. I used to find myself lingering on properties where we would finish quick and the homeowner was there. I'd pull some weeds for free or check something in thier beds or whatnot. over time I realized the jobs that take longer than expected don't pay you extra. So I'm ok with the quick buck to help average out the slow buck.

sedge
08-19-2007, 01:42 PM

;)

and after your all done, your wife would be saying, okay, huh? what was that? I'm ready now, where are you??? ;-)

quality/great sex is not fast as you can go, nor as fast as you can go doing a good job......

quality/great mowing is not as fast as you can go, but as fast as you can go doing a good job.......

So they are different..... lol,lol

We get some complaints like this also from time to time, so I have made the crews from 3 to 2 and this has reduced this. I am also considering going with 1 man crews next year. Even though they will be mowing just as fast, weed eating just as fast, edging just as fast and blowing just as fast, to the home owner it will seem like they have spent a lot longer on their lawn.

Most people do not realize that 3 guys spending 10 minutes is the same as 2 taking twenty or 1 taking 30 minutes.

KingOfCupCar20
08-19-2007, 06:18 PM
its absurd that people get upset if it takes too little time..i know that they think they arnt getting their moneys worth...but i dont get it..."isnt it better to have your lawn look great maam and be out in 10 mins so you dont need to hear a loud engine outsite your window for an hour while you are trying to watch the Young and the Restless at noon on a f'ing tuesday!!!!! haha

Mowerdad
08-19-2007, 06:42 PM
I agree with all the previous points. It's a business and the thousands we spend is what allows us to do that. The only thing I would add to this discussion is that it's not how long it takes US to mow that justifies the cost, it's how ling it would take THEM to do it!

RedMax Man
08-19-2007, 09:18 PM
I saw a lawn care crew at an averaged sized residential property the other day. 6 guys on the property... 2 on Walkers, 2 trimming, 1 blowing and 1 weeding the beds and i think i saw another filling up gas tanks on the trailers. 2 dump trucks and 1 pickup also at the house. I was next door. Pretty fun to watch them practically bump into eachother and i bet a 3 man crew could go just as fast and they were there longer than 10 min. i left before they did.

Havent had any dumb complaints about speed but i'm also solo but can still go through a yard pretty quick.

puppypaws
08-19-2007, 09:50 PM
Coming from a company that does land surveying think about when we send a bill to our customers after we have used RTK GPS instead of a conventional electronic total station...the time saved is tremendous. So what am I supposed to do, charge them less because we got job done faster...nope...with speed comes a price...equipment is expensive.

I have surveyed with a transit and 100' chain many years ago and in the mountains with a transit and 300' chain turning vertical angles and using tension gages to assure the correct pressure when pulling the chain tight.

Now you are talking about a conventional total station which I thought was the most impressive surveying equipment known to man while I was involved.

I am familiar with GPS surveying but got out of the business before it came into play. It was hard enough to make people understand I could traverse around their property and calculate the property lines without actually getting on the property lines unless they wanted them cut out and marked.

I can really see people scratching their heads when you say, "oh I'm pulling coordinates off of satellite's in outer space and that is how I know exactly where this property corner of yours is located on earth. I would say that gets a little beyond their ability to ask sensible questions at that point, do you find this to be true?

SKAPES
08-19-2007, 10:01 PM
This is an easy one!!:hammerhead:

TIME = MONEY!!:usflag:

GOT IT?:dizzy: