PDA

View Full Version : Equipment Photo's

DSLND
08-16-2007, 08:20 PM
Well, as of Monday, i will offically be a high schooler. Sort of excited but not really:hammerhead: :hammerhead: . Looking forward to the pretty girls, and not having to go to school in a barn! So, i was washing everything earlier, and decided it was to start a new thread with some of my newer stuff.

Heres the Equipment List:

-2002 Toro Z 150 w/52" SFS deck, 20hp Kohler, 650 hours
-2000 Toro WB, 36" SFS deck, 15hp Kohler, Hours unknown
-2005 Toro 20055 Super Recycler, hours unknown
-2007 STIHL FS 110 Trimmer
-2006 STIHL FC 110 Edger
-2006 STIHL HS 45 Hedge Trimmer
-2006 STIHL BR 550 BP Blower
-2006 STIHL BG 85 Hand Blower
-2004 5x10 Carry On Trailer W/racks

I plan on buying a truck next fall, so i can start plowing with my dad by my side and i will have my drivers permit and get my license Feb. 09. Then in 2009 i plan on getting a 8x18-8x20 enclosed trailer, something that will leave me room to grow. Not to bad for being fourteen!

Enjoy! -Mitch-

DSLND
08-16-2007, 08:21 PM
2002 Toro Z 150 w/20hp Kohler, 52" SFS deck. Bought it last fall with 500 hours on it, paid $3k, got it for a steal! Twin bagger is coming within the next few weeks.

DSLND
08-16-2007, 08:23 PM
2000 Toro 36" WB, 15hp Kohler, SFS deck. (# of hours unknown). Just got it about a month ago, traded my 52" WB for it and the guy gave me this and $1k in cash. I would like to trade this for the same machine with pistol grips, t-bar just doesn't work well on slopes/small yards.

DSLND
08-16-2007, 08:24 PM
2005 Toro 20055 Super Recycler. Bought it slightly used last spring. The guy had used it three times on his small yard. He didn't like the self-propell system, it retails $515.00 and i got it for $250.00. Total Steal!

DSLND
08-16-2007, 08:25 PM
Heres all of the STIHL handhelds. Toro and STIHL products are all i use in terms of mowing equipment!

DSLND
08-16-2007, 08:27 PM
And finally.... the trailer. I really need something bigger, but i want to wait until i get my license/truck. Notice my new signs also! Theres three total. One on each side, and one on the gate. Also just got me six t-shirts and six hoodies with my logo on them!

zim bob the landscaper
08-16-2007, 08:29 PM
nice nice you are so lucky to have a Z. soon i shall have one soon. lol then i can make money and have more fun mowing.

tthomass
08-16-2007, 08:59 PM
Curious......why not a BR600?

DSLND
08-16-2007, 09:14 PM
Curious......why not a BR600?

I remember us discussing us a while ago. Main reason is that i needed a backpack immediately and i was originally looking at the BR 380, and my dealer called me and said for $20.00 more i could get the 550, so i went with the 550, if i get another backpack i will most likely get the BR 600. Thanks! -Mitch-

deere615
08-16-2007, 09:24 PM
Nice setup! I like the pic of all the stihl's

DSLND
08-16-2007, 09:35 PM
Nice setup! I like the pic of all the stihl's

Thanks! My total investment of STIHL stuff (Toro not included) is right around $2k. Every piece makes me money. As of right now, i don't plan on adding anything STIHL for a while. Thanks! -Mitch-

josh1981
08-16-2007, 10:06 PM
nice equipment man. love the stihl stuff. thast br550 is a nice blower. yea you should get the 600, i have one, its fantastic!

ps. ms250 is a fantastic saw

tthomass
08-17-2007, 09:20 PM
Gotcha. I don't know your pricing but 600's can be picked up here for $444. My first blower, knew nothing other then STIHL is damn good and forked out what I thought was ridiculous $. Well now I've got two of them and worth every penny. Great for cleaning up job sites!

Also, we go around and do spring clean ups for our install customers to get an early start on the season......great for getting leaves out.

Local dealers have told me people ahve been bringing them back saying they don't run righ tbecasue of the tone of the 4stroke vs 2stroke. After they blow a brick across the floor they understand the power is in fact there.

*Yes I'm happy with my purchase and yes I recommend them for any operation........go big.

lawnprosteveo
08-17-2007, 10:41 PM
Nice setup... and at a young age. I wish I started this business when I was in highschool. I was way too busy chasin' skirt!!!:hammerhead:

South Florida Lawns
08-18-2007, 12:16 PM
you got a solid lineup of equipment going, that will last you a long time, good luck to you and your business.

Supper Grassy
08-18-2007, 12:40 PM
Looks good
How do you like the trimmers?

DSLND
08-18-2007, 03:00 PM
Thanks guys!!

Super Grassy: The STIHL FS 110 is a amazing machine! Same goes for the edger, i bought the edger last July, and the trimmer was purchased last month. I love the 4-Mix engine, i have it on everything besides the hedge trimmer and hand blower. The only thing i can complain about is the gas cap. It may just be me, but i think its a PITA to get on, and if you don't get it on EXACTLY right, gas will spill out. I paid $430.00 for the edger, and $350 for the trimmer. Both are worth the money.

Thanks!

-Mitch-

RedMax Man
08-19-2007, 05:56 PM
Good stuff, The new bagger will be great for the leaves.

DSLND
08-19-2007, 08:26 PM
Good stuff, The new bagger will be great for the leaves.

Yep, it should have paid for itself by the end of this fall.

BTW guys.... I START HIGH SCHOOL TOMORROW!!! I'm not ready to go back to school!!!

-Mitch-

lawnscapesLLC
08-19-2007, 08:58 PM
you go back early. I always went back after labor day. Good luck

deere615
08-19-2007, 09:09 PM
I start on the 27th:cry:

Matts lawn care
08-19-2007, 11:21 PM
I start on the 27th:cry:

me too! I am just trying not to think about it. I may take a day trip up to the beach with my buds if things work out.

DSLND
09-17-2007, 05:11 PM
36" WB is for sale guys! $1200/OBO. -Mitch-

DSLND
09-30-2007, 09:40 PM
How about a bump? -Mitch-

DSLND
10-07-2007, 11:38 PM
Needed a new fleet picture for the portfolio, so here you are! BTW 36" is for sale!!!

-Mitch-

RedMax Man
10-08-2007, 06:06 PM
What did you do stand on the roof again?:laugh:
I should do a full fleet pic sometime but feel i need to have everything clean and then of a nice area for the background.

DillonsLawnCare
10-08-2007, 07:55 PM
hey Dreamcutlawncare, did your dad drop loans for that equip or did you pay for it in cash?? does he drive you around and stuff to you accounts?? if you dont mind me asking....

thankss

Looks real nice!! i like that 36"!

deere615
10-08-2007, 07:59 PM
I should do a full fleet pic sometime but feel i need to have everything clean and then of a nice area for the background.

Lol I would love to do a fleet picture too but I never have the time to get everything together and clean!

KS_Grasscutter
10-08-2007, 08:05 PM

Kinda the same boat I am in...also need a new camera :(.

DSLND
10-08-2007, 09:25 PM
Heres the story. Everything was over due for a bath. So i pulled everything out, cleaned it all up, then realized i needed a new fleet picture for the portfolio, so i set it all up.

Micah, haha, i'm acually standing through the sun roof of the Jeep for this one, the roof was second priority.

Dillon: Cash was paid for everything, all mowers bought used, and two cycle new along with the trailer. Either dad, mom, brother, or grandma (#1 driver) hauls me around with the Jeep. It works well and i normally work 3:30-7:00 after school and can knock out a lot of yards, solo. BTW, i used to own the same WB you have, it was great and had the Pro-Slide, i sold it in July.

I get my license in February of 2009.

36" WB is for sale.

It was Homecoming night, so all my friends were at the dance, i didn't go....

Leaves are starting to fall and things will get VERY busy real soon!!

-Mitch-

DillonsLawnCare
10-08-2007, 09:58 PM
ok, i was wondering, i saw that youve been in the business for 4 years now.

im 14 too, and im planning to upsize also.

homecoming is coming soon, but i probably wont go either...

oh, and how is that Z Master treatin' ya? ive been looking to get a z for some larger lots, but i dont wanna drop like $6K on a new toro with turboforce. i have the sfs and its kinda so so. is it any different on the Z Master. how fast can you go on that thing?

thankss

DSLND
10-08-2007, 10:01 PM
ok, i was wondering, i saw that youve been in the business for 4 years now.

im 14 too, and im planning to upsize also.

homecoming is coming soon, but i probably wont go either...

oh, and how is that Z Master treatin' ya? ive been looking to get a z for some larger lots, but i dont wanna drop like $6K on a new toro with turboforce. i have the sfs and its kinda so so. is it any different on the Z Master. how fast can you go on that thing?

thankss

Once i can get my license, i can be much more efficent, therefore adding more customers and making more money.

Z master is amazing.. i bought it at 350 hours, from my parents. Its just approaching 700 and i am yet to have a problem. I paid $3k for it, so i got it for a steal, but they are worth it. Not sure on exact speed, but i normally do yards 1/2 acre of less, that and a few 3-6 acre places. Its a good mower, and the 52" deck fits my operation perfectly! I plan on getting the twin bagger in the next two years.

Do you have AIM/Myspace, we could chat there?

-Mitch-

JDWalkbehind
10-08-2007, 10:47 PM
Mitch no homecomin with us? u missed out. it was sweet and super hot, but AWESOME. maybe next year

DSLND
10-08-2007, 10:57 PM
Mitch no homecomin with us? u missed out. it was sweet and super hot, but AWESOME. maybe next year

Haha. Yeah... maybe next year, when a girl isn't stalking me;) ;)

-Mitch-

corey4671
10-08-2007, 11:13 PM
I've just got to chime in on this. I can't tell you how impressed I am with this young man's ambition and his work ethic. MOst young people his age are sitting around playing XBOX and looking for a handout from mom and dad. This young man is all class from what I can see here and from the posts that I read by him. Mitch, it is a shame that there are not more young people like you out there. I got to tell you, there is no limit to how far this guy can go.....if he doesn't get ahold of some gold digging chick in high school! However, based on what I have seen and read on here, I don't see that as being a problem either. Also, much the same could be said about the young man from Brentwood. Awesome guys! Keep it up. Don't be like me and look up in 15 years and wish you had taken this lawn care thing to the next level. I kick myself everyday that I'm in a position, for now, where I have to get up and go to a job I HATE and then spendmy evenings and weekends doing what I love. Great work guys. Great work. Proud of both of you!

DSLND
10-08-2007, 11:20 PM
I've just got to chime in on this. I can't tell you how impressed I am with this young man's ambition and his work ethic. MOst young people his age are sitting around playing XBOX and looking for a handout from mom and dad. This young man is all class from what I can see here and from the posts that I read by him. Mitch, it is a shame that there are not more young people like you out there. I got to tell you, there is no limit to how far this guy can go.....if he doesn't get ahold of some gold digging chick in high school! However, based on what I have seen and read on here, I don't see that as being a problem either. Also, much the same could be said about the young man from Brentwood. Awesome guys! Keep it up. Don't be like me and look up in 15 years and wish you had taken this lawn care thing to the next level. I kick myself everyday that I'm in a position, for now, where I have to get up and go to a job I HATE and then spendmy evenings and weekends doing what I love. Great work guys. Great work. Proud of both of you!

Thanks dude, appreciate the comments.

-Mitch-

deere615
10-09-2007, 09:13 PM
[QUOTE=DreamCutLawnCare;1989845]Once i can get my license, i can be much more efficent, therefore adding more customers and making more money.

Z master is amazing.. i bought it at 350 hours, from my parents. Its just approaching 700 and i am yet to have a problem. I paid $3k for it, so i got it for a steal, but they are worth it. Not sure on exact speed, but i normally do yards 1/2 acre of less, that and a few 3-6 acre places. Its a good mower, and the 52" deck fits my operation perfectly! I plan on getting the twin bagger in the next two years.

Hey Mitch do you have a myspace? Heres mine:www.myspace.com/52281697

DillonsLawnCare
10-09-2007, 09:21 PM

-Mitch-

yeah, my aim screenname is haldir251.

ive got a myspace but i dont use it anymore. facebook is now in.:rolleyes: :usflag: :laugh:

Lawn Enforcer
10-10-2007, 08:16 PM
Everything looks good Mitch! I found a guy in my town that has a Toro Z-Master 52" w? a 19 Kawasaki for $3,650, man I wish I had the cash to pick it up, it would be awesome to add to my line-up, but with the bad month of July and August I don't have any money to spend on a mower. I have to keep making payments on my truck and mower all winter.

DSLND
10-10-2007, 08:34 PM
Everything looks good Mitch! I found a guy in my town that has a Toro Z-Master 52" w? a 19 Kawasaki for $3,650, man I wish I had the cash to pick it up, it would be awesome to add to my line-up, but with the bad month of July and August I don't have any money to spend on a mower. I have to keep making payments on my truck and mower all winter.

Thanks dude! We finally got rain here, and now the leaves are falling:hammerhead: :hammerhead: But money is never better, and my 36" has many people interested in it! A guy from here had a 19hp/52" for sale last year. It had the DFS bagger, and 800 hours and he wanted $2500, i wanted it but didn't act fast enough! I would have just kept the bagger, and sold the mower later or kept it for a back up.

I hate debt, but having the right equipment is the advantage. I plan on paying cash for my truck, next fall. Then a new trailer following that in Feb. 09 (when i get my license) and then some kind of WB, 36-52". Just depends on my accounts then.

-Mitch-

RedWingsDet
10-26-2007, 08:39 PM
Nice equipment. The Stihl's will last a long time. I have the 110 whip and edger, and they are on their third season, and we've been running them 5 days a week this season.

BTW: dont skip things like homecomming, and hangout with your friends more. I missed alot of HS stuff because I was to busy working, I now regret some of it. Trust Me. Most of the guys on here who started when they were in HS will tell you the same thing.

PROCUT1
11-10-2007, 07:38 PM
I have to say...I started when you did too and have been through it all in a real short amount of time.

Im very impressed how you carry yourself on here and the honesty that you put in your posts.

Unlike most of the "kids" on here, you dont try and BS anyone...

Heck right down to grandma trucker...haha I love it

Keep it up..Youre doing great....Keep us informed along the way.

DSLND
11-10-2007, 08:08 PM
I have to say...I started when you did too and have been through it all in a real short amount of time.

Im very impressed how you carry yourself on here and the honesty that you put in your posts.

Unlike most of the "kids" on here, you dont try and BS anyone...

Heck right down to grandma trucker...haha I love it

Keep it up..Youre doing great....Keep us informed along the way.

Thank you.

Haha, gotta love grandma at the wheel. She was telling me the other day, that she is excited for next season, because she just has to sit and watch, because i will have my driver's permit come February.

Thanks Again!

-Mitch-

Dunlaps LawnCare
11-26-2007, 02:14 AM
verry nice

leaflandscape
11-26-2007, 10:44 PM
Nice stuff Mitch, and a fine Irish name to boot. It's the way to be.

93Chevy
11-26-2007, 10:56 PM
Great setup for somebody your age. I wish I had had the ambition that you do 5 years ago. Good luck.

Figueiredo
12-04-2007, 11:55 PM
Very nice! how much did you buy the toro z for?

DSLND
12-05-2007, 05:07 PM
Very nice! how much did you buy the toro z for?

Thanks. I got the Z for a steal. I bought it with five hundred hours for $3k.

-Mitch-

DSLND
01-18-2008, 06:45 PM
2008 is looking good! Already have work coming in at a very good rate! Updated picutres of the fleet will follow when the weather decides to cooperate.

-Mitch-

DSLND
01-18-2008, 06:48 PM
BTW, for those who haven't seen it yet, I bought a truck New Year's Eve.
Pictures below.

Heres the link to the thread: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=210356

-Mitch-

DSLND
02-15-2008, 07:14 PM
A few people have been PM'ing me about a new fleet picture.

The weather is not cooperating, so once everything is tuned up, washed, and the sun comes out, I'll get one for everyone.

-Mitch-

DoetschOutdoor
02-16-2008, 04:21 PM
Just a random question coming from reading about grandma...what do you do on the really hot and muggy days? Does she keep the truck running with the AC on or just go windows?

dgZtrak737
02-16-2008, 09:14 PM
Im just a small solo pt business. I was just wondering how you liked that sthil 110. I have a well used FS55 That im afraid im going to have to replace this year

Mlc gmc03
02-17-2008, 02:26 AM
as others said dont skip out on things you will deff regret it later on down the road i started earlier than you and am now alot older than you and looking back i regret skipping alot of things i didnt do many things while i was in highschool and i even quit playing sports now that i am out of college i look back and realise that highschool is the best days of your life with all your friends in a few short years most of thoose people will be going different directions and u will regret all the work u put in. you have many years ahead of you to work, be a kid while you still can

PlatinumLandCon
02-17-2008, 10:04 AM
as others said dont skip out on things you will deff regret it later on down the road i started earlier than you and am now alot older than you and looking back i regret skipping alot of things i didnt do many things while i was in highschool and i even quit playing sports now that i am out of college i look back and realise that highschool is the best days of your life with all your friends in a few short years most of thoose people will be going different directions and u will regret all the work u put in. you have many years ahead of you to work, be a kid while you still can

This is always true but personally, I find work fun and rewarding but always try and keep time for friends. I want to lay the foundation for a successful future so I can retire early and relax with the kids.

I see so many of my brother's friends working at Costco, Home Depot, etc making $10/hr and they're all 24 or 25 years old. By then I want to own a property and be making $150k/year. If I'm still in landscaping, only time will tell but starting a business now has allowed me to open my eyes to the future.

DSLND
02-17-2008, 12:08 PM
Doetsch: Grandma normally does everything after school (during the school year). During the summer, one of my folks, my brother, or someone else will haul me around. I do summer school classes in the morning (really a good choice for me) and then I get home around noon. If its absoloutely ridiculous, I normally won't even go out (move everything until the next day) or wait until evening and knock a few out.

dgZtrak: The FS 110 is a great machine, really reliable, and durable. I used to have a FS 55, good trimmer as well.

Mlc GMC: Thanks. I take advantage of winter months, and spend as much time as I can with my friends. But once I start doing snow, things may change a little, but not a lot. I've seen your trucks on the forum before, do you have an up-to-date fleet picture, or any other pictures of your trucks/equipment?

MuscleCarBoy: I'm thinking the same way as you are; build a foundation, and construct your dreams.

Thanks!

-Mitch-

Mlc gmc03
02-18-2008, 01:26 AM
i dont have a updated one i will work on it i have added a few toys since the last pic. were working on getting our display together for a home show this weekend so after all this is done i will get pics of the trucks while the plows are still on including the new 8611 blizzard my 3320 deere and nething else i find interesting. i dont think its to relevent to take a bunch of pictures of weedwackers and mowers you guys can all find thoose pics on manufac websites, unless your really interestred in that and i will do my best the next warm day we have ooo and i am not telling you not to start young it worked for me and i have alot of nice things to show for it, its just the older i get the more i realise i gave up for it

matt

DSLND
02-23-2008, 11:52 PM
Here are a few miscellanious pictures by request. Also, a picture of a plaque a buddy of mine made for me (DreamScapes Landscaping was established in 2007, formerly DreamCutLawnCare). Also, my newest addition to my truck (Big White), a Cobra CB radio.

-Mitch-

DSLND
02-23-2008, 11:53 PM
Another......

DSLND
02-23-2008, 11:55 PM
Another!.......

DSLND
02-23-2008, 11:56 PM
Last One For Now.....

lazerslicer05
02-24-2008, 08:54 AM
I've been using exmark and was conteplating getting a toro cause i can get a hell of a deal on one. have u ever used a exmark and what do u think? the diff in prices im getting is about 1300 dollars diff between exmark and toro even though there owned by the same peeps.. soo what do u thinkl

DSLND
02-24-2008, 09:58 AM
I've been using exmark and was conteplating getting a toro cause i can get a hell of a deal on one. have u ever used a exmark and what do u think? the diff in prices im getting is about 1300 dollars diff between exmark and toro even though there owned by the same peeps.. soo what do u thinkl

The Toro has been absoloutely fantastic to me! I bought it two years ago from my parents (was used for our six acre home) and even before I bought it, we never had a problem.

I have never tried out an eXmark ZTR, so I cannot compare. But my ZTR rolled in at about 600 hours at the end of last season, with no problems.

-Mitch-

hurley'sland22
05-15-2008, 12:44 PM
DreamScapes- How many accounts do you have, Commercial and Residential?

DSLND
05-25-2008, 10:38 PM
DreamScapes- How many accounts do you have, Commercial and Residential?

I apologize about not responding. I haven't had any time to visit LawnSite lately...

Last time I checked I had about twenty five weekly accounts. Ranging from ten minutes with a 21", to six acres of flat, open land.

I believe I have two or three commercial, nothing huge. Most are landscape maintenance (flower beds), some are strictly mowing, and some are both.

I'm adding new accounts daily, and things are really going good this year!

-Mitch-

Lawn Enforcer
05-25-2008, 10:45 PM
Nice work Mitch! My year is looking just as good, I'm up to 32 accounts! Got any recent pics of the rig?

DSLND
05-25-2008, 10:52 PM
Nice work Mitch! My year is looking just as good, I'm up to 32 accounts! Got any recent pics of the rig?

Awesome. The Rig? Nothing has really changed since the March pictures. New Toro Pro-Line 21" coming Tuesday. Possibly a 48" Wright Stander in the near future (trading in the ZTR). Thats really it for this year. I need to get a lot saved for next year.

-Mitch-

S man
05-26-2008, 12:24 PM
Awesome. The Rig? Nothing has really changed since the March pictures. New Toro Pro-Line 21" coming Tuesday. Possibly a 48" Wright Stander in the near future (trading in the ZTR). Thats really it for this year. I need to get a lot saved for next year.

-Mitch-

What engine on the proline? I would get the honda.

Lawn Enforcer
05-26-2008, 03:01 PM

-Mitch-

Cool. I'm sure you would love the stander.

Pastaboy62
05-26-2008, 04:17 PM
just out of curiosity, what do you use the CB radio for?

TheKingOfLawns
05-26-2008, 05:04 PM
Still have the 36" WB for sale? How much?

DSLND
05-27-2008, 06:13 PM
S Man: I'm getting the Kawi. That way I will have matching engine brands when I get the Stander.

L.E: I can't wait for the Stander, I got to demo the machine the other day... it was sweet, a lot more compact than the ZTR.

PastaBoy: Mainly the CB is for fun. Ever since I say Bert Reynolds in "Smokey and the Bandit", I had to have one. Its just too cool not to have one. 10-4

TheKingofLawns: Sorry, the 36" is sold.

Thanks!

-Mitch-

MRobin9470
05-27-2008, 06:29 PM
Mitch,

How did you advertise when starting?

The SODFATHER

DSLND
05-27-2008, 06:35 PM
Mitch,

How did you advertise when starting?

The SODFATHER

In the beginning, I used the newspaper ads, flyers, and doorhangers. Business cards are also a great investment, and a must-have for any business person.

Now that my reputation is built, I have more work than I can handle, and my phone doesn't stop ringing!

Good Luck with your business!

-Mitch-

MRobin9470
05-27-2008, 06:44 PM
Mitch,

Thanks for the response. Did you have professional flyers or did you just make them?

The SODFATHER

DSLND
05-27-2008, 07:37 PM
Mitch,

Thanks for the response. Did you have professional flyers or did you just make them?

The SODFATHER

I did them all in MS Word. Try www.gophergraphics.com for some free downloads.

-Mitch-

Green Team Landscaping
06-20-2008, 04:11 PM
what do you think of your stihl back pack blower? i was thinking of getting one for yard clean up

DSLND
06-20-2008, 11:26 PM
what do you think of your stihl back pack blower? i was thinking of getting one for yard clean up

Great machine. Will buy another one when it comes time.

-Mitch-

F.S Lawn Care
06-21-2008, 12:17 AM
Dude you gotta appreciate what your parents have done for you. My story is totally the opposite. When I was your age (5 years ago) my parents really kept a leash on my business. When I got grounded, I didnt get grounded, but my equipment did. Later in high school when I started getting everything my pop made me a get storage for $200 a month because he said it made us look "trashy." I wsnt allowed to buy my own truck or nice equipment because it was a waste. I look back know and I'm starting to realize that the way he went about doing it was a little hardass, but now I'm realizing that it was the best thing for me not to go too big when I was young. This business is so hard to be extremely successful in. What are you going to do when you have to move out and pay for your own rent and own lifestyle? It's a good side business but I don't think I can do something like this forever. Instead of investing so much money into the business, try pursuing a further education and stuff like that that will pay of much quicker than a lawn business. It looks good now because you're 14. I was the same way nobody else was making 1500 bucks a week but then you start realizing thats all going to pay for crap and not too much is left over. It's great for a high school job I think, but possibly look into some other things: and I'm sure some others will tell you the same thing, that it is so hard to be successful in this line of business
-Pat-

AndyTblc
06-21-2008, 09:55 AM
I'm 19 now, and my parents still think they can run my business, they ask how much I'm going to charge a new customer, and I tell them, and they say, "oh thats to much, charge them less" Or that I should just go cut their grass for free because they're old. My dad tells me how to put my equipment on the trailer, what height to cut at, what else I should do. I'll be 20 in december. They still think I have to ask to go somewhere, like out to the lake, or even to get an ice cream cone. I could go on all day, but I'm not.

S man
06-21-2008, 04:16 PM
I'm 19 now, and my parents still think they can run my business, they ask how much I'm going to charge a new customer, and I tell them, and they say, "oh thats to much, charge them less" Or that I should just go cut their grass for free because they're old. My dad tells me how to put my equipment on the trailer, what height to cut at, what else I should do. I'll be 20 in december. They still think I have to ask to go somewhere, like out to the lake, or even to get an ice cream cone. I could go on all day, but I'm not.

That's backwards for me. I tell my dad what height to cut at and how to put the equipment on the trailer blah blah blah. Good luck with your biz.
Hey mitch hows the pistol grip w/b doing?

SNAPPER MAN
06-21-2008, 06:41 PM
Dude, how do you tell your dad what to do. I respect my dad and he stays out of the way of my business. If I talked to my dad like that he'd beat the **** out of me.

TwistedSister
06-21-2008, 09:31 PM
Dude, how do you tell your dad what to do. I respect my dad and he stays out of the way of my business. If I talked to my dad like that he'd beat the **** out of me.

Same here...As for wizzkid316, thats just what you get when you live at home. When you get your own place, you can make your own rules. I know I sound like a parent but im not, im 15 :weightlifter:

S man
06-21-2008, 09:57 PM

I know what you mean. But my dad understands that it is my business and he is learning from me so I show him how to do things right. We balance each other out. I'm like come on let's go we got this many jobs to do and I'm always moving fast. But my dad takes things a little slower considering he is a plumber for his main job. But he's getting tired of it so we might work together next year as a full business llc and all.

SNAPPER MAN
06-21-2008, 10:37 PM
Wow thats just messed up.

KS_Grasscutter
06-21-2008, 10:41 PM
I know what you mean. But my dad understands that it is my business and he is learning from me so I show him how to do things right. We balance each other out. I'm like come on let's go we got this many jobs to do and I'm always moving fast. But my dad takes things a little slower considering he is a plumber for his main job. But he's getting tired of it so we might work together next year as a full business llc and all.

I'm the same way with my parents. They kinda let me do my own thing, and overall we get along great. Sure, we get in our arguements many times a day, but at the end of the day things are worked out. I am trying to convince my dad that his job sucks and that he needs to join me in my mowing business, buy out a couple other LCOs, then basically take over the Hutchinson mowing/fertilizer market, but he seems to like his job that pays lots of money and has good benefits.

MJS
06-21-2008, 10:42 PM
. . . It looks good now because you're 14. I was the same way nobody else was making 1500 bucks a week but then you start realizing thats all going to pay for crap and not too much is left over. It's great for a high school job I think, but possibly look into some other things: and I'm sure some others will tell you the same thing, that it is so hard to be successful in this line of business
-Pat-

That's why you get into more (as I've heard it termed) white-collar landscaping.

Design, landscape architecture, irrigation, niche services, whatever. . .
It's hard, but certainly not impossible, imo.

DSLND
06-21-2008, 10:56 PM
I appreciate the comments.

SMan: The new mower is great. I want to apologize about my immature response in the inital thread, you didn't deserve that kind of disrespect.

Basically my parents are not involved in my business. Its my own thing. I do the bookeeping, work, maintenance, etc. and they just expect me to put a little into a college account each month. I don't tell them what I make, or what I charge, very little financial stats are discussed.

BTW, I found a trailer I really like. Its something I can grow into during the next few years. 7x16 Enclosed, gray, ramp, brakes, etc. Brand new for $4900. Not to bad IMO. I plan on getting it or a different trailer next month.

Thanks!

-Mitch-

freshprince94
06-21-2008, 11:26 PM

SMan: The new mower is great. I want to apologize about my immature response in the inital thread, you didn't deserve that kind of disrespect.

Basically my parents are not involved in my business. Its my own thing. I do the bookeeping, work, maintenance, etc. and they just expect me to put a little into a college account each month. I don't tell them what I make, or what I charge, very little financial stats are discussed.

BTW, I found a trailer I really like. Its something I can grow into during the next few years. 7x16 Enclosed, gray, ramp, brakes, etc. Brand new for $4900. Not to bad IMO. I plan on getting it or a different trailer next month.

Thanks!

-Mitch-

That was honorable of you to apoligize. Good luck this season.

KS_Grasscutter
06-21-2008, 11:39 PM

Thanks!

-Mitch-

The enclosed trailer sounds like a great purchase. Getting a size you can grow into is a wise idea, plus an enclosed is a good idea too since you can cut out your storage payment.

Junior M
06-23-2008, 09:34 PM
Hey man nice for u!!

I am also 14 and i have started my own construction company with my dad backfilling pools and running the electric to the pumps....

we also do retaining walls, irrigation, grading, lots of lot clean up or thinning whatever u want to call it.....

but i do probably sixty percent of the operating but it just depends on the job to....

Ernie Mankins & Sons Construction

Jorden Mankins
Part owner/operator

2002 Chevy 2500hd

24ft deckover PJ tongue trailer

and hopefully a 331 soon!!!!

razor1
06-23-2008, 10:05 PM
Mitch, keep up the momentum. I like your company name but if you ever decide to change it, "O'Shaughnessy Landscaping" sounds pretty good in my opinion. Good Luck!

"May you have warm words on a cold evening, A full moon on a dark night, And the road downhill all the way to your door."

DSLND
06-23-2008, 11:14 PM
Thanks guys! Construction sounds sweet! Gotta love running machinery.

O'Shaughnessy Landscapes? God, thats a mouth full:confused: lol.

Most people can't even pronounce my last name, let alone spell it! haha, I'll stick to DreamScapes.

Thanks!

-Mitch-

derekarbeiter
06-24-2008, 04:24 PM
nice machines. LOVE the Stihls

S man
06-24-2008, 10:36 PM

Thanks!

-Mitch-

That's cool man, don't sweat it. It sounds like you have things working good in your biz. Keep it up!:cool2:

Lil'MowinMan93
06-27-2008, 11:49 PM
haha yea just turned 15 so im gunna be like you! chevy/gmc truck encore z34 and echo hedge trimmers. have 5x10 open, two lawnboy 21's and echo backpack and trimmer

DSLND
06-28-2008, 10:58 PM
haha yea just turned 15 so im gunna be like you! chevy/gmc truck encore z34 and echo hedge trimmers. have 5x10 open, two lawnboy 21's and echo backpack and trimmer

So do you own all of that stuff? I was reading through some old posts of yours, and it said that you had the intention to buy most of that stuff?

-Mitch-

Lil'MowinMan93
06-28-2008, 11:03 PM
Truck is my dad's. He rides around with me. Encore z34 and echo straight shaft hedge trimmers are things im buying next year that i learned i need. Currently own 2 21's, echo backpack, trimmer, and 5x10 trailer.

DSLND
06-28-2008, 11:32 PM
Truck is my dad's. He rides around with me. Encore z34 and echo straight shaft hedge trimmers are things im buying next year that i learned i need. Currently own 2 21's, echo backpack, trimmer, and 5x10 trailer.

Good deal. Check out my new thread for some updated pictures of my setup: http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=236098

-Mitch-

Lil'MowinMan93
06-28-2008, 11:44 PM
Yeah so far so good. Im not sure if im going to take over that truck or buy sumthin else like a 2500