PDA

View Full Version : NEWBIE - Weeds are out of control!

svtsnake03
08-16-2007, 08:55 PM
Hi all,

I am not in the business of lawn care, but this looked to be the best place online to find good advice.

I live in Tifton, GA. I bought my home early last year, and the landscapers that came to seed my yard did not till the soil or anything. They applied the centipede seed and were gone.

I followed the guys instructions to the T, keeping the grass watered for weeks. Nothing remotely resembling centipede ever popped up.

I took matters into my own hands. I bought a few bags of seed from Wal-Mart and Lowes (probably a mistake) and I applied it, and kept it watered.

Now I have a yard that is near 100% weeds, and it can't seem to cut it enough, much less keep it edged.

I have used Scotts Turfbuilder every season since I have lived here, and it seems to only make the weeds grow faster and greener.

I am not expert, but I know I have bahia grass, crab grass, and other sorts of weed / grass that just creeps and grows insanely fast.

What should I do? I've gotta do something, I think I've already warn my mower blades out.

BTW, this is a nice forum. I also run a Automotive forum..

svtsnake03
08-16-2007, 09:47 PM
BUMP,

I will add, I think that some of the grass I bought from Wal-Mart may have contained some Burmuda grass, at least by looking at various pictures...

http://www.ecoscapes.1adventure.com/turf.html

If you go to that link, I have what looks similar to the picture on the right.

Stuff grows WAY fast, even in this insane 100 degree south ga weather.

Smallaxe
08-17-2007, 06:36 AM
Sounds like a need to just start over. If there are any decent patches of turf worth saving , spot roundup in those areas otherwise kill everything and start with good seed in a good seedbed. Fertilizer grows good weeds alright and it sounds like you have enough there already. Concentrate on water until you get the grass established.

svtsnake03
08-17-2007, 07:14 AM
Sounds like a need to just start over. If there are any decent patches of turf worth saving , spot roundup in those areas otherwise kill everything and start with good seed in a good seedbed. Fertilizer grows good weeds alright and it sounds like you have enough there already. Concentrate on water until you get the grass established.

Is roundup the best thing to use? Seems the retail Roundup does not work nearly effective as it did years ago... There is an Agri-Supply center in my town, is there something better than roundup that I should use?

How do you recommend preparing the seedbed?

I assume I use roundup, or whatever chemical you tell me, wait perhaps a week for everything to die. Till the yard some? and spread the new seed? Keep it wet and do not use any fertilizer?

How long should I wait before mowing?

Smallaxe
08-17-2007, 07:11 PM
Roundup or any Glysophate is about as good as anything, but ask your Agri-Supply guy.
If you are on the famous GA clay seedbed preparation can be difficult. The quick simple way is sow with a slit-seeder and topdress with organic matter. I like to rake the seed in with topsoil to make as level as possible.
If time, energy and finances allow, till in plenty of ammendments before seeding, even if one small area at a time. The better the tilth of the soil the better your turf can become.
Mow high for the first few times to give time for roots to form and be sure the ground is dry when you do mow to minimize the compaction factor of the mower and footfalls. I don't use a rider until I am confident the roots are able to tolerate it. good luck.

RonB
08-17-2007, 09:46 PM
How large of an area are you talking about?

You can get a pallet of centipede (around 400 sf.) for something like $150ish. Instant yard.

The ONLY way to go - you have experience why.

svtsnake03
08-18-2007, 01:59 PM
My yard is roughly half an acre, but I am really only concerned with the front and sides.

What is the recommended cutting height for centipede?

RonB
08-18-2007, 05:13 PM
I cut my clients at either 2.5 or 3". Depends on the yard, watering, fert ..

DuraCutter
08-19-2007, 12:47 AM
My yard is roughly half an acre, but I am really only concerned with the front and sides.

What is the recommended cutting height for centipede?

Put sod in and be DONE with it...

Then, sit down and :drinkup:

:)