PDA

View Full Version : How much oil?

lildog132
08-16-2007, 08:58 PM
approximately how much oil should I put into a 15hp Kohler engine during an oil change. The manual just says to fill it up to the "full line". Is that usually about a quart to a quart and a half?

MOturkey
08-17-2007, 10:11 PM
Don't have a clue, but I can't believe the manual doesn't have the oil capacity with or wo filter change listed somewhere. If you can't find it (did you try the internet?), fill it one time, and keep an accurate measurement of how much it took. Then you'll know next time.

A little tip. My Kawasaki takes 1800 cc or something like 28 ounces (might not be right on the ounces, didn't want to take time to look). Anyhow I bought a plastic container in the housewares department at Wal-Mart used for mixing liquids. Translucent plastic, and marked in cc's and ounces, so just draw a line for your engine, and fill out of a 5 quart container when you change the oil. Cost like $2, I think.

1MajorTom
08-17-2007, 10:39 PM
If it's a Kohler Command, it's 2 quarts, for the 13 and 15 hp.
One side note: when checking the oil level, the manual says not to screw in the dipstick, just twist it until it seats before the threads.

Matt

puppypaws
08-17-2007, 10:42 PM
If it's a Kohler Command, it's 2 quarts, for the 13 and 15 hp.
One side note: when checking the oil level, the manual says not to screw in the dipstick, just twist it until it seats before the threads.

Matt

That is 100% accurate!

topsites
08-18-2007, 02:21 AM
Correct, 2 quarts 15hp Kohler Command Pro, all I've ran for 5 years.

By the way, when checking the oil on a Kohler you simply 'seat' the dipstick but don't twist it back on!
Took me a long time to find that out, twisting it on (and down) results in about a 1/2 quart difference in the reading, or low oil!

Just put the stick down as far as it will go without twisting it on, then pull it and that's your correct level reading.

later edit: Oh dang I see 1majortom already mentioned it :laugh:

Restrorob
08-18-2007, 08:21 AM
Put the dipstick in then with a light pressure rotate the stick backwards. You will feel the stick drop down on the seat.