PDA

View Full Version : Walk-Behing Brush Hog

American_Lawn
08-16-2007, 09:58 PM
I have a contract through a real-estate company and they sometimes give me homes that have grass that has not been mowed all season. I do not like running my new ztr through them, risking my machine. My question is would a walkbehind brush hogg be worth the purchase. I get paid pretty good for knocking this stuff down, plus I can offer this service to other yards that lco's do not want to mess with. What are some good companies that make these?

ed2hess
08-16-2007, 10:09 PM
We use the Billygoat...but rent it because we only do 20 or so a year and simply don't have room for the darn thing....It works pretty good for what you want but it is a rough cut.

American_Lawn
08-16-2007, 10:26 PM
thanks for the quick reply. do you think it would be more cost effective to rent one when needed? just a thought i usually do 1-2 every month. these are small lots, I mow them in about 5-6 min with my 34z

sildoc
08-16-2007, 10:43 PM
thanks for the quick reply. do you think it would be more cost effective to rent one when needed? just a thought i usually do 1-2 every month. these are small lots, I mow them in about 5-6 min with my 34z

NO. Just use your z. this way you can put the extra money into an account for new equiptment. I would only buy if I was using it all the time and the rental fee on 6 minutes is just too much.

grandview (2006)
08-16-2007, 10:44 PM
Rent a DR.

http://www.drpower.com/TwoStepChapterPage1L.aspx?Name=FieldBrush2Step&Chap=FABWalkBehindChapter&Page=FABWalkPower&SiteEntryMode=0&BC=0%7c3%3aFieldBrush2Step&LinkType=3

American_Lawn
08-16-2007, 10:53 PM
grandview, thanks thats what I needed.

Drew Gemma
08-16-2007, 10:54 PM
dr is junk

American_Lawn
08-16-2007, 10:56 PM
what other brands are there? please tell

Accu-cut Lawn Care
08-16-2007, 11:30 PM
what other brands are there? please tell

You definitely need to look at a Hustler Hog. They didn't make a lot of them...but you can still find them...I believe I saw a couple for sale on Hustler's web classifieds or here. Do a search in the Hustler forum to get some more info. They look much better than any dr piece of junk!

DOLMARatOS
08-17-2007, 01:04 AM
Ginat-Vac, Ferris, Snapper, Simplicity makes a 25" hydrostatic unit available with Briggs, Honda or Kawi engines. Unit comes with slime filled tires and chain guards, etc. Haven't run one yet but I've heard they are better than the old Bachtold high-wheeled mowers.

Have seen a bad-azz looking tracked unit in the NT catalog. $10K is a bit steep.

Meg-Mo
08-17-2007, 09:08 AM
With the MEG MO blades on a Z it makes a piece of cake out cutting that kind of property's.

DOLMARatOS
08-17-2007, 09:37 AM
So if I use my Meg-Mo blades on an overgrown lot with saplings and everything you'll guarantee they'll stand up to the abuse?

Usually with overgrown lots we'll see a ton of debris. I think that is why the OP wants a dedicated brush cutter. Something that will handle 2" saplings will have less problems with beer bottles, assorted toys, carpeting and furniture.

Nothing against Meg-Mo, I think they're cool but I doubt you'll offer me a free replacement set of cutters when i snap them off hitting a small 2" tree with my ZTR in 6' of grass.

Meg-Mo
08-17-2007, 11:19 AM
A2" tree if push over will not hurt the meg mo blades. Now if you want to cut it off just back it in the shout opening and cut it of.

coonman
08-17-2007, 12:24 PM
You might try these.

I bought the 30 inch for the exact same situation you are in. It is built like a tank and is very good for overgrown rough yards.

http://www.sarlomower.com/

American_Lawn
08-17-2007, 03:16 PM
yea i want a machine just for these overgrown properties. Some of them I cant believe what I missed when I tried to do an initial walk through. And I just dont like the thought of hitting bricks, bottles, and other junk what my mower. I will look into all the brands posted and see what best fits my budget and use. Thanks for the advice.

Scagguy
08-17-2007, 05:48 PM
We use the Billygoat...but rent it because we only do 20 or so a year and simply don't have room for the darn thing....It works pretty good for what you want but it is a rough cut.

Yeah they work great!!! I just purchased an off rental Billy Goat from Home Cheapo for $750. If I were you,I'd look around for one in your neck of the woods.

Mowingman
08-17-2007, 09:41 PM
Not one person has mentioned the best walkbehind brush hog ever made. That would be a Gravely 2-wheel tractor with the 30" mower attachment.
These are easy to find used, and often sell for less than $750.00. It is best to buy one with the Kohler engine, as not too many people know how to repair the old single cyl. Gravely engines.

American_Lawn
08-17-2007, 09:52 PM
the gravely looks pretty cool, especially with the being able to use different options. are there any other brands that make a adaptable machine like that? jw I really like that, but is it as good as a (brush hog only) machine?

GAskidsteer
08-27-2007, 11:56 PM
MowingMan just give you the solution to your problem. I've owned a number of these Gravelys and I can tell you that there is NO equal to a Gravely walkbehind when it comes to this kind of work. I currently use a Commercial 12 for exactly the same purpose you are talking about. No belts to slip/break. The hydros are fine, for what they were designed for, but they wont' stand up long hitting bricks, rocks, pieces of iron, and everything else you can imagine. 2" sapplings ?? What a joke! A Gravely will put down 3" stuff and then grind it up. If you've never owned one, you won't believe what it can do and how long it will keep doing it. Make sure you get the thick blade- 3/8" thick, I believe. Unfortunately they are getting hard to find. You will be able to cut several lots before you even think about sharpening it. I take one spare when I go out. Did bend a shaft one time, years ago, had machine shop straighten it, still running that mower head today. As MowingMan said, stick with the ones with a Kohler, the old Gravely engines were too much trouble. The transmissions are bulletproof. They're not fancy, but you'll think its on steroids. They came with 8,10 12 hp Kohlers. The 10hp, I'm told is about the best in power/balance ratio. But if you want a bad boy, get the Commercial 12. Evil, mean and nasty...... to overgrown, trashy lots. Let us know what you decide to do.

GravelyNut
11-11-2007, 10:30 AM
They came with 8,10 12 hp Kohlers. The 10hp, I'm told is about the best in power/balance ratio. But if you want a bad boy, get the Commercial 12. Evil, mean and nasty...... to overgrown, trashy lots. Let us know what you decide to do.I'll agree on everything you've said except that they also came in 5865 and Professional 16 HP versions. Now if you want to see overpowered, those are the ones to get. And for those who like B&S engines, there was the Professional 16 powered by a B&S twin. Better add the weight kit to anything over the 8 HP units as they tend to get front end light with the QH short nose 30" deck. A Professional 8 HP ( M-8, K-181 ) unit still has enough power if you use the low range for the PTO and has the best balance with the short nose 30" QH decks. The Comm 10/546/5465/Pro 10 are fine with the long nose 30" decks as is the Comm 12/566/5660/5665/Pro 12. The 10 and 12's are almost the same weight

Owner/operator of the following 2-wheel units:
Professional 8
566 ( 12 HP )
Modified 16 HP Kohler unit.

And for on those units there are:
3 30" QH decks ( 1 with a 28" saw blade )
1 30" long nose deck
1 40" Commercial deck
1 42" sickle bar
1 Rotary Cultivator
1 QH Cultivator Toolholder
1 Direct Mount 50" from a ProMaster-50

BCS makes units that are similar but can't hold a candle to the Gravelys.

LB1234
11-11-2007, 11:57 AM
Some questions....

How many times are you going to use the brush hog per year?
How much does it cost to rent?
How much does it cost to own?
What will the machine cost you to maintain?
What type of costs are associated with picking up/droping off at a rental yard?
Do you have space to store this unit?
Are you able to line all your jobs up into one day?

As an example...

Lets say it costs $2200 to purchase and $125 per day to rent it. If you are going to rent it 10 times a year that's $1200 towards a purchase and the machine could be paid off in two years (theoritically). Although you will have increased equipment mainteance costs but decreased vehicle maintenance costs.

just some food for thought

Runner
11-11-2007, 03:37 PM
Right. If money is not an object, go with one of these.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H1wCAQkfGP4

Or 3 of these..LOL :laugh:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=O3CyxAV_ao8

packey
11-11-2007, 05:33 PM
Yazoo builds a mower that is perfect for over grown lawns. It used to be baddged as a mastercut walkbehing now I think they call it a trail mower. these are great five a decent cut but will cut through the nastiest lawns. I own two My first was a mastercut 22 with a 6 hp techumpsee. My new one is a 25 with a Kawi these are mean mowers and I will never run a lawn business without one. They have bailed me out of to many jams. they are between 750-1300 and believe me it is worth every penny.

lifetree
11-11-2007, 06:54 PM
If you can find an old Gravely 30" front ent tractor, those were really made to cut brush ... although, ther may not be too many left around !!

Bigblue250
11-13-2007, 05:47 PM
Gravely hands down, I cleared a big lot of overgrown nastyness for my buddy. I used my 12 horse, mean, nasty, overpowered, Gravely. It took down 4" trees, and sumac over 10' tall without breaking a sweat. He looked in amazement when I was done before lunch. If you need a brush hog, get a Gravely period.

Runner
11-13-2007, 07:50 PM
There's one of those Gravelys on ebay right now.
http://cgi.ebay.com/Gravely-12-Professional-Walk-Behind-Mower-Tractor-NR_W0QQitemZ180177955523QQihZ008QQcategoryZ71272QQssPageNameZWDVWQQrdZ1QQcmdZViewItem