PDA

View Full Version : recommend me a new pressure washer.

josh1981
08-16-2007, 04:21 PM
We need a new pressure washer at the house. Will be using it to wash the driveway, porch, one small deck, cars, some power equipment (weedwhacker, chainsaws, etc), possibly a few windows...

Dont need to spend a fortune I dont think. And would only be using it now and then. Will definately be using it in the spring and fall, off and on in summer.

I was looking at the john deere ones, also campbell hausfeld, and troy bilt. John deere ones seem to be good, also troy bilt.

So who should I go with? Reliability and price main factors.

fritowrdo
08-16-2007, 10:15 PM
Josh,

I bought a Snapper PW3000 this summer and it has been a good unit. Between my dad and I we have put about 6 hours on it but it will get a whole bunch more as my dad cleans the rest of his deck and I do my house. This is my first pressuer washer but I found it easy to use.

I paid about 580 for mine but I have a great dealer that stands behind their products and answers all my questions.

As with lawn epuipment, dealer support is most critical in my opinion rather than saving a few dollars at a big box store.

squirtgun
08-17-2007, 11:53 AM
The Troy built and JD are good machines.

Capemay Eagle
08-17-2007, 01:29 PM
I just bought a Karcher 2400psi last week and I have to say this little thing kicks a$$..Cleaned the concrete up to original finish and the siding and gutters are shining and I even cleaned up some wood furniture to like new condition. I have put about 4 1/2 hours on it and it is running fine. I read a few reviews that there was some pressure problems, but most of these reviews are about 3-4 years old and the problem was easily fixed by just using some white grease on a certain part. Mine does not seem to have this part so the problem is most likely fixed. I got mine at BJ's for $199.90 it has a Honda 5 horse and it is the same engine on the Troy Bilt I looked at the other day. I figure a couple of more cleanings and I got my moneys worth.

josh1981
08-17-2007, 11:19 PM
hows that brigs and stratton engine? last a long time?

squirtgun
08-18-2007, 03:55 PM
On homeowner type machines Honda's and BS are just about created equal.Do the regular maintenance and they will last.

I have a Vanguard 18hp with over 1500 hrs on it right now.

josh1981
08-19-2007, 12:40 AM
ok ill look into snapper and karcher. thanks!

josh1981
08-19-2007, 12:41 AM
On homeowner type machines Honda's and BS are just about created equal.Do the regular maintenance and they will last.

I have a Vanguard 18hp with over 1500 hrs on it right now.

thanks. what maitanance can I expect?

2 clowns mowing
08-19-2007, 07:27 AM
don't buy it rent it you will find you don't really need one that bad.

LawnDude54
08-19-2007, 09:56 AM
I bought a new one a couple of months ago. I got the DeWalt with the 13 hp Honda at Home Depot. 3750 PSI and 4 Gallons per minute. This thing blows the doors off my Father-in-laws 5hp homeowners model. I cleaned my driveway in about 1/4 of the time. It's $1000.00 but I will be starting to do some pressure washing and house painting which requires pressure washing first.

Capemay Eagle
08-20-2007, 06:51 PM
I bought a new one a couple of months ago. I got the DeWalt with the 13 hp Honda at Home Depot. 3750 PSI and 4 Gallons per minute. This thing blows the doors off my Father-in-laws 5hp homeowners model. I cleaned my driveway in about 1/4 of the time. It's $1000.00 but I will be starting to do some pressure washing and house painting which requires pressure washing first.
Damn 3750psi I bet when you pull the trigger it gives a big kick...

LawnDude54
08-21-2007, 07:50 AM
Have to be a little more careful with it, the back pressure is a biatch when your starting it, I darned near tore my shoulder off. If it doesn't start on the first pull, you have to pull th etrigger to release the pressure before pulling the starter again. Good thing it'a a Honda engine, they pretty much get it on the first pull every time.

ajnnadeau
08-29-2007, 05:12 PM
That DeWalt is a nice unit.

fritowrdo
09-15-2007, 09:16 PM
hows that brigs and stratton engine? last a long time?

So far so good. I have used it several more times and it runs like a champ. I just have to clean my PWC and the house one last time and then winterize it.

fritowrdo
09-15-2007, 09:18 PM
Have to be a little more careful with it, the back pressure is a biatch when your starting it, I darned near tore my shoulder off. If it doesn't start on the first pull, you have to pull th etrigger to release the pressure before pulling the starter again. Good thing it'a a Honda engine, they pretty much get it on the first pull every time.

I got bit by that before. After the first few times that happened, I called the dealer and he told me exactly the same thing.

josh1981
09-16-2007, 10:19 PM
ok thanks!

BOSCHERT LAWN CARE
09-18-2007, 09:32 PM
i just picked up a craftsman 2700 psi/2.5gpm with a 850 series briggs motor and it takes care of everthing around the house..and was on sale for $329

hdtvluvr
09-26-2007, 08:10 AM
I have a small electric karcher unit for around the house. It was fine for washing the car and the small jobs at my last house. Now, I need something better to wash the drive, patio, cars, and house. My current house has vinyl siding. What would be the best unit for me? I don't need anything that will cut thru the siding or take tha paint off of a car. Are any adjustable pressure? Also, I'll need a long extension wand for the second story. Thanks for any suggestions.

Happy Frog
10-13-2007, 02:26 PM
Bought the DeWalt 3100 PSI / 2.8 Gal. with the Honda commercial GX200 engine and the CAT pump.:clapping:
It works great and will clean as fast as the 3750 PSI DeWalt and if you use the optional rotary head while being is much smaller and lighter.:weightlifter:
To start it these washers, just hold the trigger depressed: it make the start much more easier on you and on the engine.:cool2:

Happy Frog
10-16-2007, 12:26 PM
Well,
Let me take my post back...
What I have learned the hard way is that the max. flow of your pressure washer is far more important that the max. pressure.:hammerhead:
So, my 3100PSI/2.8Gal pressure washer is going back to the store and I will exchange it for the DeWalt 3750PSI/4.0Gal.:weightlifter:
That will allow me to tackle any job I need to by using the maximum flow of the washer at lower pressions which is the right way to pressure wash.:cool2:
As far as my recommendation goes: The DeWalt are great machines, just spend the extra buck and get the largest flow you can afford.::drinkup: :

Stillwater
10-21-2007, 07:59 PM
That DeWalt is a nice unit.

the dewalt is it better than the john deere?

green hornet
10-23-2007, 11:04 PM
very stubborn discoloration on white aluminum gutters drive me nuts after a great job of cleaning the pressure washing a house . are there any suggestions?

green hornet
10-23-2007, 11:06 PM
very stubborn discoloration on white aluminum gutters drive me nuts after a great job of cleaning and power washing a house. are there any suggestions?

Stillwater
10-24-2007, 04:19 AM
very stubborn discoloration on white aluminum gutters drive me nuts after a great job of cleaning and power washing a house. are there any suggestions?

ya their on the bottoms of my gutters to They were blasted off when the wand was up close some were stubborn but they are comming off havent finnished

FCPWLLC
11-04-2007, 11:42 AM
Potasium Hydroxide based cleaner along with a light brushing followed by a simple rinse. Do not allow chem to dry on surface.

dirtybiz
11-07-2007, 07:48 PM
I am currently in this same situation, as I have a small Kaercher that i have had for about 5 years now and has gotten the job done, but the pump is acting up and i already replaced it once, a year or so ago. Are the john deere and dewalt ones any better, i notice they are quite a bit more money?? I would hope that dewalt and john deere would not want their name associated with it if it wasn't a good product. May just have to bite the bullet and get a big one! Let me know what you guys think who may have either of the two.

FCPWLLC
11-08-2007, 06:05 AM
http://us.st11.yimg.com/us.st.yimg.com/I/yhst-6302467517443_1970_1650205

For the little extra money, you can get a better belt driven machine that is actually made to run day in and day out.

http://www.pressuretek.com/bedr4gpm40ps.html

The Dewalt/John Deere are found at Home Depot and Lowes... Not really Professional. Same reason you guys don't use residential mowers is the same reason I don't use residential Pressuure Washers.

hdtvluvr
11-08-2007, 07:55 AM
On the PW that you linked to, is the pressure variable? I assume one can't use 4 gph at 4000 psi to wash a car or clean an old deck. Wouldn't it strip paint off the car or chew up the old wood?

It would also seem that it would be strong enough to cut through vinyl siding. How are these arious materials cleaned?

FCPWLLC
11-08-2007, 01:28 PM
Pressure is variable on ALL pressure washing machines through the use of tips. Larger oriffice tips produce lower pressure. I only use 40-100psi on vinyl siding my self by using very large oriffice tips that lower pressure and allow for chemicl draw through an injector.

This video shows a 5.6 gpm @ 3500 psi machine couple with a lager tip to lower pressure to about 60 psi.... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-NoU_t1p4Qs

Here is another example of lowering pressure to clean wood that has proper chems applied with a dual lance wand.....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yiB2wOu8jak

dirtybiz
11-09-2007, 09:20 PM
Ended up buying the john deere pressure washer yesterday, as the pump on my kaercher is bad again. This thing has a ton of pressure, i am very impressed so far. Used it for about 3-4 hours today and it is quite a work out. Will let you know as time goes on, oh it is the 13hp 4.0 gpm.

rickobx8
12-04-2007, 12:56 PM
I have just purchased the DeWalt 3100 and it seems to be a great machine, i have used it to remove some spray paint on a wall and also doing some sidewalks. the cost was 650 but it has paid for itself in just a few jobs, lookign forward to adding this to a list of services.

good luck

Ooomwizard
02-16-2008, 02:44 PM
I also have the DeWalt 3750/4 GPM w Honda. Very strong machine. There is a larger handle on the pump itself that you can turn to adjust the pressure. You can also adjust the pressure with the engine speed but I use the pump adjuster.

To REALLY up your cleaning times get a surface cleaner. They are round disk cover with a handle and wheels that has spinning nozzels that spray downward. I would also suggest use at least an 18 inch round or larger. If a more powerful washer ups your cleanup times, wait until to try the surface cleaner. 4 times faster and more thorough.

I havn't tried on walls or gutters but will kick booty on patios and driveways.

Mark in ATL

Ooomwizard
02-16-2008, 02:46 PM
Here's link for some: http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/NTESearch?storeId=6970&N=0&Ntk=All&Ntt=surface%20cleaner&Nty=1&D=surface%20cleaner&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Dx=mode+matchallpartial

Barry M
03-07-2008, 12:24 PM
Home owners that buy from an equipment dealer get far better service than those that buy from the big box stores. That's something to consider when looking to purchase.

Happy Frog
03-07-2008, 08:03 PM
I also have the DeWalt 3750/4 GPM w Honda. Very strong machine. There is a larger handle on the pump itself that you can turn to adjust the pressure. You can also adjust the pressure with the engine speed but I use the pump adjuster.

To REALLY up your cleaning times get a surface cleaner. They are round disk cover with a handle and wheels that has spinning nozzels that spray downward. I would also suggest use at least an 18 inch round or larger. If a more powerful washer ups your cleanup times, wait until to try the surface cleaner. 4 times faster and more thorough.

I havn't tried on walls or gutters but will kick booty on patios and driveways.

Mark in ATL

You should leave the pump at max pressure and select the proper nozzle to adjust the pressure for the job at hand.