PDA

View Full Version : Hustler Z 60

Tulsot
08-16-2007, 11:27 PM
I am seriously considering purchasing a new 2007 Hustler Z 60" w/ a 25hp Kawasaki engine for my home use. I live in Tulsa OK and will be mowing a flat two acres with several trees. The grass is a mixture of bermuda and fescue. I have searched here and read about the Hustler xr7 deck issues but if I understand correctly they are resoved in the 2007 models. Would this mower be a good fit for my application? What is the lowest price I could expect to negotiate?

The only ZTR experiece I have is borrowing my neighbor's Grasshopper 220
52" and it cut my lawn great, at least in my estimation.

fool32696
08-16-2007, 11:36 PM
You can't buy a better machine. I just got a 66" with 30hp kohler and love it. That said, I think it's way too much machine to justify with 2 acres. You could probably pay $75 to have it done and not worry about fuel, repairs and weedeating/blowing. That's not even mentioning the $7500 to 8500 you will pay for the machine. It will never be cost effective to buy a commercial Z for that size. You may be able to justify a used walk behind. Otherwise I recommend that you hire someone to do it locally. A lot of people will work for nothing.

puppypaws
08-17-2007, 12:23 AM
I am seriously considering purchasing a new 2007 Hustler Z 60" w/ a 25hp Kawasaki engine for my home use. I live in Tulsa OK and will be mowing a flat two acres with several trees. The grass is a mixture of bermuda and fescue. I have searched here and read about the Hustler xr7 deck issues but if I understand correctly they are resoved in the 2007 models. Would this mower be a good fit for my application? What is the lowest price I could expect to negotiate?

The only ZTR experiece I have is borrowing my neighbor's Grasshopper 220
52" and it cut my lawn great, at least in my estimation.

I can tell you want a new mower and to do your own thing, that is great you will enjoy it.

My dealer sells the Hustler Z 60"/25 Kawi for $7499.00 but I am pretty sure he said there would be a 4% increase in September.

If money is no object and you want to finish fast step up to the Super Z but if you enjoy mowing and speed is not an issue, you are looking at the right mower.

Tulsot
08-17-2007, 12:13 PM
Anyone in my area have an 07?

cybervision
08-17-2007, 01:12 PM
Before you buy any machine DEMO it first on your property. If it cuts well for you the Hustler would be a great choice. You will love it. The Hustler mowers are the best built out there but some people have cutting issues. I sent back my 52" Super Mini because of the cut. I already miss it. Handles like a dream. The 60" machines do cut much better though.

You should have no problems getting a demo from your dealer. Hustler is a very customer oriented company. If your local dealers can't get you a demo contact PJ on the Hustler Forum. He will make it happen. He gets things done.

PEVO
08-17-2007, 01:56 PM
I'm wondering when the hustler haters will chime in. As for me i have a 04model 60" super-Z with the 28hp kohler EFI & it does a awsome job. I'd DEMO any mower first on your spread before buying though.

nmurph
08-17-2007, 02:15 PM
for two acres a z or super z i waaaaaay overkill. look at the fasttrak 21/54. it will run you about 1/2 the $. it also comes with a 4 yr HO warranty vs a 2 yr warranty for the Hustler commercial z's.
i have a mini fasttrak and cut my 2 acres in about an hour. when i bought it i only had 1/2 ac. i will be upgrading to a 21/54.

cybervision
08-17-2007, 02:31 PM
The 60" is a good size for 2 acre. You won't be spending much time on the mower.
Demo it. If it cuts well you won't want to give it back.

Rob.C
08-17-2007, 06:10 PM
I have acouple of 60" 2007 super-z's and not one problem. Hustler makes the most quality machine out there....I prefer the E.F.I, but in your case go with the 25 h.p.:weightlifter: :usflag:

puppypaws
08-17-2007, 08:04 PM
for two acres a z or super z i waaaaaay overkill. look at the fasttrak 21/54. it will run you about 1/2 the $. it also comes with a 4 yr HO warranty vs a 2 yr warranty for the Hustler commercial z's.
i have a mini fasttrak and cut my 2 acres in about an hour. when i bought it i only had 1/2 ac. i will be upgrading to a 21/54.

There is no such thing as overkill to a home owner that has plenty of money.
You buy whatever you want because "the only difference in men and boy's is the price of their toys".

Tulsot
08-17-2007, 10:01 PM
It might be overkill, but I want to do it myself and I want to do it fast.

My only concern at this point is if it will cut my grass well. The dealer that is closest to me and is offering the best price will not let me demo (cut grass) with it period. Another dealer will but they are a long ways away and will not negotioate on price. I wouldn't feel right about demoing from one dealer and then buying from another.

So far I have not heard of anyone complaining about a 60" xr7 deck in this region from this forum or anywhere else. Both dealers say they have never had a single complaint about the cut of this deck. This leads me to believe it would be just fine but I sure wish I could cut my lawn with it before I buy it.

puppypaws
08-17-2007, 10:37 PM
It might be overkill, but I want to do it myself and I want to do it fast.

My only concern at this point is if it will cut my grass well. The dealer that is closest to me and is offering the best price will not let me demo (cut grass) with it period. Another dealer will but they are a long ways away and will not negotioate on price. I wouldn't feel right about demoing from one dealer and then buying from another.

So far I have not heard of anyone complaining about a 60" xr7 deck in this region from this forum or anywhere else. Both dealers say they have never had a single complaint about the cut of this deck. This leads me to believe it would be just fine but I sure wish I could cut my lawn with it before I buy it.

Each dealer gets so many demo machines according to how many they sell in a year. What happens is they will sometimes give a real deal on a demo to a personal friend and that is why they do not have a mower for you to use.

He could be a small dealer and get very few if any demo machines.

I really have never understood how someone expects you to spend that much money and not try one out. I would hate to buy a new vehicle and not drive one, as a matter of fact I wouldn't.

cybervision
08-18-2007, 04:51 PM
First, don't let anyone tell you that the 60" Hustler is overkill. I owned the 52/25 Super Mini and it took me much longer to cut than with any 60" machine including my 60" walkbehind.

Second, try the demo from the dealer that has it. After you try and you decide you love it that is when you can start negotiating further. There are point to consider price is only one of them. Is delivery an issue? This is a big concern if you do not have the means to get it to/from them. Are both dealers going to delivery the mower free of charge. A big concern is service and if it needs service are the willing to pick it up. You may end up getting it from the other dealer anyway.

Puppypaws is right. Drive before you buy. With a mower its function is to cut grass.

cybervision
08-18-2007, 04:55 PM
I meant to say you may end up getting from the dealer who has the demo.

SKAPES
08-18-2007, 05:13 PM
Nice guys finish last... Remember that and you'll be o.k.
TO NEGOTIATE IS TO LIVE!!!

GreenT
08-18-2007, 06:15 PM
look at the fasttrak 21/54. it will run you about 1/2 the $. it also comes with a 4 yr HO warranty vs a 2 yr warranty for the Hustler commercial z's.

I would have to agree with this recommendation.

The Fastrak 21/54 would be more than enough mower for your 2 acres. I cut ten times as much acreage with mine, plus my own 5 acres, every week and (knock on wood) haven't had a problem yet.

In your situation, I would also agree that the four year "Homeowner Warranty" should be an important consideration, as opposed to only two.

Having said that, if you really want a Z or Super Z, there is nothing wrong with that. Just keep in mind they are full size, powerful machines designed to work hard so, who knows, you may start doing other neighbours just to keep your Hustler in "shape" :laugh:

Finally, do not, under any circumstance, buy without trying it on your property. And that goes for any brand.

My .02

:waving:

nmurph
08-20-2007, 12:46 PM
Puppy, i agree that if you have the money burning a hole in your pocket then buy a Z. i love Hustler and think they make the best products across the line.
that said, let me outline the reasons that i think that a 54 "FT is a better match for Tulsa;

wt 815 vs 1212-------------ruts
length 71in vs 79in-------manuverability
trim 4.5in vs 3in--------every inch counts
warranty is 4 yrs vs 2yrs

cost of the FT is probably close to 1/2 of the Z-----------maybe he has plenty, most people don't.

ground speed is 1 mph, compared to the Z.
in terms of productivity, mowing at full speed the Z will cut Tulsa's 2 acres in 6 minutes less time.

for your size property the Super Z makes sense, however i will reitterate that for 2 acres i feel that spending the extra money for a Z is hard to justify.

Envy Lawn Service
08-20-2007, 01:20 PM
A dealer that cannot get you a demo of a machine at this price point is not worthy of your investment.... either that or is distribution chain isn't... either way, it puts a bad taste in my mouth.

I think of it this way...

"If the dealer is no stronger than that in trying to SELL me a mower, just imagine how much worse his service after the sale will be."

End of discussion.

Demo and buy from the other dealer or move on to another brand.

nmurph
08-20-2007, 02:01 PM
post or pm PJ in the Hustler forum. he is very good at making demos happen.
and meant to say in my previous post that the max ground speed of the FT is only 1 mph slower than the Z.

puppypaws
08-20-2007, 03:11 PM
Puppy, i agree that if you have the money burning a hole in your pocket then buy a Z. i love Hustler and think they make the best products across the line.
that said, let me outline the reasons that i think that a 54 "FT is a better match for Tulsa;

wt 815 vs 1212-------------ruts
length 71in vs 79in-------manuverability
trim 4.5in vs 3in--------every inch counts
warranty is 4 yrs vs 2yrs

cost of the FT is probably close to 1/2 of the Z-----------maybe he has plenty, most people don't.

ground speed is 1 mph, compared to the Z.
in terms of productivity, mowing at full speed the Z will cut Tulsa's 2 acres in 6 minutes less time.

for your size property the Super Z makes sense, however i will reitterate that for 2 acres i feel that spending the extra money for a Z is hard to justify.

[QUOTE=Tulsot;1933329]It might be overkill, but I want to do it myself and I want to do it fast.

Sounds to me that the man wants a overkill machine and money is no object. It is always better to go stout than to be in doubt and I can tell you right now the man is going to buy the full size Hustler with the 60" deck, maybe even a Super Z. If he mowed with the Super Z once it would probably all be over but writing the check.

I personally would not trade my Super Z with flex forks and flex seat for 3 Fast Tracks, no I take that back I would trade for 3 new FT's, sell them and buy another Super Z 66"/28efi exactly like I have and put the rest of the money in my pocket.

If you are on a budget then your point would be debatable otherwise you buy whatever you want.

I do see the point you are making and it is a good point.

jknowles4
08-20-2007, 04:31 PM
Tulsot, I like in Oklahoma also and have a 60" super Z. I demoed many mowers and then once I got on this one my mind was made up. I got the 27 kohler and love it. I use it for my property 7.5 acres and some of my larger mowing jobs. The ride is great and will be better once I get the flex forks. If you are interested talk to Mike at Mikes lawn equipment in Harrah OK. I paid $7999 for the mower I have. If you have any other questions feel free to ask.

Tulsot
08-20-2007, 07:41 PM
jknowles, what year is yours, what kind of grass do you mow and have you ever experienced any of the deck problems others here have spoke of (assuming you have an xr7 deck)?

How much could I expect to pay for a new 52" Fastrak with the larger engine option? Valid points on the Fastrak option, however I will have whatever I get for years and I don't want to regret not getting the Z later.

Also I spoke to the area rep today and he is bringing a 60" Z to my home next week for me to try. He's coming from OKC, seems like a lot of effort for one potential sale, but good for me :). The fact is I probably would have bought one already if I could have already demoed one on my property.

puppypaws
08-20-2007, 09:29 PM
How much could I expect to pay for a new 52" Fastrak with the larger engine option? Valid points on the Fastrak option, however I will have whatever I get for years and I don't want to regret not getting the Z later.

With what you are mowing the big z will last you the rest of your life if that is what you are looking for. They can put it right in the grave with you and leave it running and if it didn't run out of gas someone would need to switch it off on judgment day.

I am saying you will never wear it out with the amount of hours you would put on it in your lifetime.

nmurph
08-21-2007, 11:11 AM
ditto for the FT at the hours you will put on it cutting 2 acres at the time. 21/52 FT's are selling in the $4800-5300. one thing that i will point out again is the warranty and weight.

cybervision
08-21-2007, 11:35 AM
As you may be surprised the Rep is driving a good distance for you to do a demo, I am not. This is the kind of support you will find with Hustler. They will also be there for you after the sale. Additionally, you can always find out the latest news about any Hustler issues right here. PJ does a great job keeping everyone informed of there questions.

Since you are considering a Fastrac ask the Rep to bring one along if he has one. That way you can compare the two. There is a big difference between the two. After you try the 60" and it cuts well for you you will not be giving it back.

As far as the extra 2 years of warranty, I would think with your use any problems that you are going to have will be defects and should show up in the first year. Once you get past that the mower will last forever.

jknowles4
08-22-2007, 07:32 PM
Tulsot,
Sorry it took me so long to get back to you. My mower is a 07 model with the XR7 deck. I mainly mow bermuda but have some fescue at my house. The cut is very good on both grasses. If you mow above 3.75 inches it will leave a few stringers but nothing bad. I love the mower!!!

cybervision
08-30-2007, 09:19 AM
Tulsot,
Did you get to do any demos yet?

IHusky
08-30-2007, 09:52 AM
Envy Lawn Service: A dealer that cannot get you a demo of a machine at this price point is not worthy of your investment.... either that or is distribution chain isn't... either way, it puts a bad taste in my mouth.

I think of it this way...

"If the dealer is no stronger than that in trying to SELL me a mower, just imagine how much worse his service after the sale will be."

End of discussion.

Demo and buy from the other dealer or move on to another brand.

For the money you're going to spend, I would not, I repeat, would not buy a Z from a dealer that's not going to let you demo a machine.

karol
08-30-2007, 09:40 PM
I've got a 60" z500. I love it. I also have a hustler 48"Trim Star. Both good brands. You can't go wrong with any of them, especially for the amount of cutting you're doing. Take it from a X-Tulsa guy. I've lived in Tulsa for 8 years. Went to Memorial High. I live in Ontario, Canada now. Good luck.

Tulsot
08-30-2007, 11:05 PM
The dealer in question has been in business here for twentyfive years so that is comforting. He did help me set up a demo through the regional rep I mentioned. The rep dropped off the unit and I mowed my whole lawn. The demo was a 60/25 Super Z with flex forks. It mowed great. I think the flex forks flexed too much and allowed some scalping and some uneven cutting on slopes.

I went ahead and purchased a 60/25 Z. I got a great deal on it and they delivered it. I mowed a little with it today and it is a great fit for my needs. I think the standard forks make for a more even cut and less scalping. I think I will ad the add-on suspension unit that goes under the stock seat and call it good. I am very happy with my purchase.

Envy Lawn Service
08-31-2007, 12:19 AM
Oh cool... so you got the regular Z?

You will have to hang around and chat with us and give us periodic reports.

Yes, you WILL want to add the suspension seating.
At least just he full suspension unit...
Maybe the flex seat.

Talk to puppypaws about the flex seat and flex forks in detail, and talk to Pj (hustler rep) and your dealer about trying another set of flex forks later. After talking to puppypaws you will understand why about the flex forks.

GreenT
08-31-2007, 12:44 AM
I went ahead and purchased a 60/25 Z. I got a great deal on it and they delivered it. I mowed a little with it today and it is a great fit for my needs. I think the standard forks make for a more even cut and less scalping. I think I will ad the add-on suspension unit that goes under the stock seat and call it good. I am very happy with my purchase.

Congratulations.

You'll be very happy for a long time with that mower. :cool2:

Keep us posted from time to time.

Good luck.

puppypaws
08-31-2007, 12:49 AM
The dealer in question has been in business here for twentyfive years so that is comforting. He did help me set up a demo through the regional rep I mentioned. The rep dropped off the unit and I mowed my whole lawn. The demo was a 60/25 Super Z with flex forks. It mowed great. I think the flex forks flexed too much and allowed some scalping and some uneven cutting on slopes.

I need to know exactly how many hours those flex forks had on them when you demoed the mower. They do an excellent job if they have the correct tension on the torsion rubber and no matter what anyone tries to tell you they do not all operate equally.

I put 152 hrs. on a set before I noticed they had gotten weaker, the dealer replaced them for me and it was a totally different riding and cutting machine. This happened so gradually it got really bad before I noticed to much easy up and down motion and the different levels of cut.

When they are right they do a wonderful job but if the torsion rubber is not strong enough it has a tendency to bob up and down like a boat going over small swells that farther apart in the ocean. When you stop it will nose dive and leave lower cut circles where each blade turns and if you are mowing on a slope it will load the lower side and cut a different height.

Tulsot
08-31-2007, 03:24 AM
The unit I demoed was a brand new Super Z. I was the first to ever mow with it. The forks were new as well. They seemed to be very soft. If they were stiffer I think they would have probably been fine.

The unit I purchased is a regular Z. I read a little on tire pressure since my last post and reduced the pressure in the tires from fifteen plus pounds to nine. That seemed to improve the ride a good bit. Once I have a suspension seat I'll be cruisen.

puppypaws
08-31-2007, 08:31 AM
The unit I demoed was a brand new Super Z. I was the first to ever mow with it. The forks were new as well. They seemed to be very soft. If they were stiffer I think they would have probably been fine.

The unit I purchased is a regular Z. I read a little on tire pressure since my last post and reduced the pressure in the tires from fifteen plus pounds to nine. That seemed to improve the ride a good bit. Once I have a suspension seat I'll be cruisen.

You caught on to the air pressure very quickly and that is good. I personally run 8 lbs. in my Super Z but you may not notice a difference in 8 or 9. I will say I could tell a difference in 10 and 8.

I really do not understand why some of the flex forks are stronger than others when new but I have heard this before. When the stiffness is correct they perform wonderfully. I wish you would post exactly what you have said about the flex forks you tried being to soft on the Hustler forum, they have said time and again there is not a problem there but as you have seen sometimes there can be a problem with anything.

cybervision
08-31-2007, 09:47 AM
Congratulations on your new ride. You made a good choice.

Once driving the machine becomes natural to you you may want to try the Flex Forks again. Sudden stops and sharp turns is usually when you scalp the lawn with the Flex Forks. But once you become comfortable with the machine your turns and stops are much smoother.

The suspension seat may smooth out the ride enough for you though. Or you can add the Flex Seat option to the Suspension Seat. I think the Flex Seat sits under the Suspension Seat so you can add it latter. The Suspension seat is made by Michigan Seat and I think it is Model V5300 which is available from Northern for $319 plus about $30 to ship.

Also, check you deck rollers. All the new Hustler I have seen were shipped with them all the way up.

http://www.northerntool.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/product_6970_200268424_200268424

Well Congrats again.