PDA

View Full Version : Whats this ?

RICHIE K
08-17-2007, 06:21 AM
I have a Gravely 260z 1400 hours 27 Kohler pro command motor, Runs great however, after a few cuts it does this : when I start it, it sounds like a the motor is running high or over loaded, put the blades on and really sound bad. After I shut it down wait 5 sec. turn it on it runs great, mow a few more lawns then it acts up again. I have also noticed that when this happens if I just let it run it sounds like it works it self out and run good. Any ideas ? Sounds like somethig is getting stuck

Eric D
08-17-2007, 11:00 AM
Richie,

It could be a number of things. Top on my list of possible causes one of the two cylinders not producing power. This could be caused by an oil fouled plug that starts working once it gets heated up some, ignition coil that is marginal on output, sticking intake or exhaust valve or a number of other things.

While it is acting up you might want to use a pair of plug wire pliers to pull the leads one at a time from each cylinder to find the one that has the issue. If you pull the wire and the engine dies you have disconnected the good cylinder. If you pull the wire and there is no change in the way the engine is running you have found the bad cylinder. This allows you to know which one to work on.

Keep us posted on what you find out.

Regards,

Eric D

RICHIE K
08-18-2007, 05:38 AM
Eric it was the plug it was so crappy, thank you so much for your help. It was only on the right side the other burned nice still looked like new.

Restrorob
08-18-2007, 08:09 AM
One plug being all "crappy" is a possible sign of a blown head gasket at the oil return port. If it "craps" out again soon have a cylinder leak-down test performed to verify.

Eric D
08-18-2007, 09:49 AM
Richie,

Glad to hear you found the bad plug. As Rob pointed out, there is likely more going on then just a bad plug. There is a good chance the engine will need more work down the road, but at least you can keep it going for a while until a better point in time to service it. You might want to start planning for it.

Regards,

Eric D