PDA

View Full Version : Long Island seed question

Ralph Wiggum
08-17-2007, 11:07 AM
I plan on starting over with my lawn this fall due to it being mixed with bentgrass..

My plan is to hit it with round up the 1st or 2nd week of sept.
Then hit it again a week or so later
Cut it very low
Then use a slit seeder or aerator+spreader to put down some seed

I am just wondering what seed to go with, should i just go with scotts PP sun and shade? or should i go with something over the internet.. I want the best results i can get... any ideas????

LawnSolutionsCP
08-18-2007, 01:54 PM
Kill it off the end of August, and then hit it one more time about 1 week later to get any spots you missed.

Reseed mid September w/ a good power seeder.

Keep the ground damp. Water for 15 minutes for 4-6 times per day. Timers make this easy. Don't over water.

You should have a nice lawn again in 2-weeks. Once the grass is 2" tall. You can start mowing and water about every 2-3 days.

There is no need for straw. Just run a seeder over it, add start fertilizer, and water.

I would use a Turf Tyep Tall Fescue w/ about 10% blue grass. There are hundreds of blends out there. Make sure you ask someone who actually knows what they are talking about. Also don't forget starter fertilizer.

Here is one of our videos we give to rental stores to teach how to overseed a lawn.

Video (http://www.lawnsolutionscp.com/video/Rental_Video.wmv)

Ralph Wiggum
08-19-2007, 10:41 PM
do you have a name or something i should look for??? like "midnight 2"

LawnSolutionsCP
08-20-2007, 01:27 AM
do you have a name or something i should look for??? like "midnight 2"

I have always used Confederate or Confederate Plus which adds 10% KY Blue.

Titan looks to be very good as well, but I have not personally used it. I would contact your local extension offfice. They should know what does well in your area.

Ralph Wiggum
08-21-2007, 05:47 PM
thanks for the help..