PDA

View Full Version : Hustler Deck Belt Idler

JimQ
08-17-2007, 03:54 PM
Hey Hustler guys.

I just noticed the deck idler on the XR-7 deck and thought it was an interesting idea. Any thoughts or opinions? Is it new? Does Hustler use it on any other products?

Thanks,
Q

Turf Professionals Inc.
08-17-2007, 04:06 PM
I know Hustler has been using this system since at least 04'. I like it!

Branchland
08-17-2007, 05:52 PM
I know Hustler has been using this system since at least 04'. I like it!

Same here. The belt for the vac on the bagger is the same

Downunder Bob
08-17-2007, 06:51 PM
I wasn't sure about it at first (on an 04 52mini) but its fine. It must be good quality plastic. I just wish they would cover the underside of the deck with it.
(to stop grass,dirt sticking). I have used a similar plastic under a rotary hoe for years now and still going strong.

dc33
08-17-2007, 07:00 PM
the owners manual says to grease that, lol
Im guessing its wrong

captken
08-17-2007, 08:12 PM
Congratulations, you have just exploited the most relevant flaw of the Hustler mower. It's Achilles heel.

The plastic is a slide....what's so special?

That idler pulley has been the most replaced item on my machine. Period.
I keep spares for when they blow.

It is an off the shelf part, generic.

They dress it up in a plastic slide, this time not on a pivot, just a slide..how do you or why would you want to grease this?

I'll gladly post a picture of how it probably look after 300 hrs.

After you have given up cursing that idler pulley.

I have lost count of how many times I have replace that idler pulley. They have used the same setup [plastic/idler] since I bought mine, circa 2001.

Do not be fooled...you don't have to buy this from Hustler, this is a generic item that can be purchased locally. I'd be broke if I had to buy this part from Hustler.

I still run that Hustler as a back up mower.

I have always carried spare idler pulleys, The bearings wear out

This one item you will replace again and again.

I am sure you are in love with your new machine....report back in a few years with a valid assessment of that part....

kenny.

lawnmaniac883
08-17-2007, 08:25 PM
I like the pivot arm setup on my Gravely personally, plastic is just one more thing to break/wear out. Looks to me like the forgot about the deck idler when designing that deck and had to get creative with chain and a spring and some plastic to make it work. I dont like that design at all.

HenryB
08-17-2007, 08:45 PM
I've owned a few Super Z's and have never had to replace that idler pulley. The chain is a nice xtra to adjust the belt tension.:waving:

captken
08-17-2007, 08:46 PM
Congratulations, you have just exploited the most relevant flaw of the Hustler mower. It's Achilles heel.

I'll gladly post a picture of how it probably look after 300 hrs.

kenny.

I meant to say after 3000 hrs. And after 15-20 deck idler pulleys.
You will soon experience idler pulley failure.

Branchland
08-17-2007, 09:43 PM
Mine's a '04. Coming up on 850 hours. Haven't replaced a pully yet. Knock on wood.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
08-17-2007, 11:24 PM
I meant to say after 3000 hrs. And after 15-20 deck idler pulleys.
You will soon experience idler pulley failure.

You must be very hard on mowers or leave them out in the rain. My 2352 z had 1300 hrs on the stock pulley when I sold it. My 2760 had 700 hours before I had to replace the pulley. It took a grand total of 1 minute to change it.

Envy Lawn Service
08-18-2007, 01:11 AM
My two cents is that I am no longer much of a fan of single belt deck drives.

I'll take a good two belt system any time.

cgaengineer
08-18-2007, 01:34 AM
The plastic looks like a bad idea to me...that idler will always be sliding in that plastic rail...the vibration on an idler is usually pretty high so I could see this being replaced quite a bit.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
08-18-2007, 02:12 AM

I don't understand. In years and years of mowing, single belts have never been a problem for me. I have around 800 on my super z and haven't had to replace a single belt. On the 2352 I recently sold, it had around 1400 on the second blade and factory hydro belt.

Accu-cut Lawn Care
08-18-2007, 02:16 AM
The plastic looks like a bad idea to me...that idler will always be sliding in that plastic rail...the vibration on an idler is usually pretty high so I could see this being replaced quite a bit.

No vibration at all. You can't even tell it's moving when engaged. The folks that are having problems with these idlers are not torquing them properly during installation.

topsites
08-18-2007, 02:16 AM

Yeah, more of a pain to replace one here one there, but far less in between.

grasshopperlawns
10-28-2008, 07:43 AM
i have an 04 mini Z with 2330hrs and have replaced it once.

MOHUSTLER
10-28-2008, 11:35 AM
The plastic is verry durrable, havnet had to replace one yet. And the single belt system works better then the double ones that we see. Much less replacements, and easier to repalce.

ed2hess
10-28-2008, 10:24 PM
When I was in Engineering we had some of these OS. Probably designed the deck and sent it out for tooling and then noticed when it came back that they didn't include an idler.

mowtech
10-29-2008, 01:33 PM
I was always taught in design to "avoid sliding friction" whenever possible. Managing sliding friction is difficult due to the differences in static and dynamic friction, variability of surface finishes and the resulting variation of friction, the wide variation in frictional coefficients, uncontrolled lubrication, and the potential for galling and wear. Having said that, this design can work and the proof would be what people are seeing in the field, but I would personally avoid using a similar design.

TLS
10-29-2008, 01:38 PM
Knock on wood, I haven't had a problem with mine in 700 hrs. It seems a tad looser, but nothing major. Still works and does it's job of maintaining belt tension.

dave k
10-29-2008, 08:46 PM

Envy, long time no hear, what have you been up to lately?