PDA

View Full Version : They wonder why I won't give a quote before I see the property

arblazeman
08-17-2007, 09:17 PM
Maybe because I've seen too much of this:

arblazeman
08-17-2007, 09:20 PM
So I have to ask what would you guys have charged for that lot?

Ended up like this:

Jusmowin
08-17-2007, 09:21 PM
Thats CRAZY.....I bet you would find all kinds of things in there.

MOturkey
08-17-2007, 09:35 PM
Mowed one the other day that made that stuff look short! I charged by the hour, but made the mistake of putting a cap on it, so I ended up eating one hour. Still came out OK, but it taught me to not open my big mouth! Wish I had taken some before/after pictures myself I've actually mowed three places like that this year, all over 2 acres. Good extra money, but jeez, talk about dusty.

ed2hess
08-17-2007, 09:42 PM
I think I could have weed eated that down in less than one hour easy and mulched it in another 30 minutes.....$75

Grits
08-17-2007, 09:44 PM
I did one the other day that wasn't near that bad for $80.

David Hartzog
08-17-2007, 09:53 PM
I would charge at least $100.00
Why? I don't think its fare to have to come in and clean up what was neglected if that person was paying some one to keep it clean they would of probably payed $200.00to $300.00 by now people let things go so they don't have to pay for continuing service.

arblazeman
08-17-2007, 09:54 PM
I think I could have weed eated that down in less than one hour easy and mulched it in another 30 minutes.....$75

Thats what I thought too and gave it a go.... but there was some awful thick low (IE: just below waist level) growing crap mixed in there that the wacker just couldn't take out very quickly. Still got done in less than 2 hrs.

Skyking
08-17-2007, 11:00 PM
So I have to ask what would you guys have charged for that lot?

Ended up like this:

$75.00

What did you get?

DuraCutter
08-17-2007, 11:05 PM

Huh... I could have used my 96" super dupper mower and doned it in less than 5 mins. Maybe $20 at the most.

:) :rolleyes:

robbo521
08-17-2007, 11:33 PM
$150.00 and no less.

DuraCutter
08-17-2007, 11:37 PM
$150.00 and no less.

Now that's more like it. :clapping:

What is it with lco's on this site, is there a contest to see who can make the least amount of money???

That's the proper thinking robbo, why give it away...charge for the damn work.

:)

arblazeman
08-17-2007, 11:37 PM
$75.00

What did you get?

Billed the same. I do however agree with what David Hartzog said about how properties like that should be billed. Only reason I didn't bill higher was because the owner of that rental gives me as much business as I want to take in on property that doesn't look like that, AND when I invoice him via email he transfers the funds to me instantly.

newz7151
08-17-2007, 11:47 PM
You people really need to start looking at hiring out sheep for things like this. I mean, it's fenced in it looks like. 10 or so sheep could have had that eaten down maybe in a day or two, plus you could have thrown in a free fert app to give the customer something extra. Of course you still would have had to mow the front (or tether a few sheep to the front)

cgaengineer
08-18-2007, 12:30 AM
Honest to god I had to look at those pictures twice to see that they were before and after shots...couldnt even tell it was so bad.

mathews
08-18-2007, 12:36 AM
$75.00?? You are joking... Right??

cantoo
08-18-2007, 08:53 PM
We do jobs like that once in awhile but usually don't have to remove the long grass. We're usually several hundred dollars though. We would be $45 or more for a regular cut on that property, hard to tell the actual size from the pics. We have machines to handle grass like that. I was cutting 4' grass and 1" trees with my Steiner today. On my own property, I'm too cheap to cut it all the time. We have a seven acre field and 5 is planted in corn but the hill at back is too steep to combine.

jrush
08-18-2007, 09:44 PM
I had a cust, same thing. I cut her over grown lawn once at triple the price, sent her a proposal, and never got it returned. She called me about 8 times yesterday saying she'll sign it and send it in the mail (it's been prob 2 months) I saw how long the grass was, (it's all weeds and dust) and told her I need a brush cutter not a lawn mower. Why should I put my equipment through that, on a peon as* lawn? Equipment is not cheap, all she had to due was sign a piece of paper and her lawn would be fine. p.s the weather has been great here, plenty of rain, low temps, so the grass is growing! I'm done with wasting my time on people that don't give a sh*t, they rarely spend $ and when they do, they nickel and dime you, think everything should be included, and always try to stick you with extras. Same thing with people when you give them a price, they try and negotiate with you. Do they do that at resteraunts? grocery store? Hey the prime rib is $23.00. I'll give you $10 cash.-Sorry, needed to vent

Tyler7692
08-18-2007, 10:02 PM
$75 and 2 hours? Sorry. I try to make AT LEAST $60 an hour... and that's cutting normal grass not tearing up equipment and killing myself.

Yeah, at least $150 to cut that jungle.

ed2hess
08-18-2007, 10:02 PM
$75.00?? You are joking... Right??

So how much do you charge for less than 2 hours work? This was not that big of a deal with the right equipment.

jrush
08-18-2007, 10:49 PM
why does it matter how long it takes YOU with the right expensive equipment? If they have'nt cut their lawn in 3 weeks and it's $35 a cut should'nt it be $105 min? Obviously more for bigger lawns- just an example.

David Hartzog
08-18-2007, 10:55 PM
why does it matter how long it takes YOU with the right expensive equipment? If they have'nt cut their lawn in 3 weeks and it's $35 a cut should'nt it be $105 min? Obviously more for bigger lawns- just an example.

Just like i said.
Don't be scared there's plenty of work.

Grass Happens
08-18-2007, 10:56 PM
So how much do you charge for less than 2 hours work? This was not that big of a deal with the right equipment.

Yea, and how much did that right equipment cost you? I would be in the 125-150 range as well. I prob. would have called my farmer buddy though, seeing how my bobcat would have laughed at me and drove itself back on the trailer.

Scagguy
08-19-2007, 09:39 AM
I bought a Billy Goat brush cutter a few months ago because I was getting a lot of calls for 1 time mows. It was always "the grass is kind of high". When I have to use that on a property because of neglect, my minimum is $125.

ed2hess
08-19-2007, 05:55 PM
Yea, and how much did that right equipment cost you? I would be in the 125-150 range as well. I prob. would have called my farmer buddy though, seeing how my bobcat would have laughed at me and drove itself back on the trailer.
I guess you don't have any holding ponds up north they look like that all the time and are cut only montly. Simple Echo 261T trimmer or Sindawa T270 would have that on the ground in less than an hour.

Southwest Lawns
08-19-2007, 07:36 PM
Dang good clean up. But I would have had to charge much more just to break even on that one.

Tn Lawn Man
08-19-2007, 09:13 PM
I have watched this site make guys go cheaper and cheaper every year.

I would have charged and GOT $300

People quit leaving money on the table.

arblazeman
08-19-2007, 11:13 PM
A couple of things I'd like to say. First off I wanted to use this post as an example of why we shouldn't give quotes over the phone without seeing the property first. Customers sometimes don't understand that every yard in town doesn't get the same price no matter what kind of shape it is in. It amazes me how some potential customers can get so pissy when I tell them I have to see the property first before giving a price.

Secondly, Yes I could have, and maybe should have billed more for that yard, but as I said earlier this particular property owner gives me as much work as I want to take on with yards that don't look anything like that. They are yards that actually make my day enjoyable and he pays me immediately upon receipt of the invoices. Maybe some of you think I was wrong in giving him a break on this one yard as a thanks for all the others that I service for him and his promptness in paying his bill, but I guess I just did what felt right.

swingset
08-19-2007, 11:18 PM
I wouldn't WALK AROUND in that mess for $75.

PITA factor makes it a $100+ job, closer to $200 just to make me feel better about it. If I don't get the bid? Big whoop.

Grass Happens
08-20-2007, 12:37 AM
Secondly, Yes I could have, and maybe should have billed more for that yard, but as I said earlier this particular property owner gives me as much work as I want to take on with yards that don't look anything like that. They are yards that actually make my day enjoyable and he pays me immediately upon receipt of the invoices. Maybe some of you think I was wrong in giving him a break on this one yard as a thanks for all the others that I service for him and his promptness in paying his bill, but I guess I just did what felt right.
I totally understand you there, i think if it was a random call you should have charged more, but if you have a good customer that pays well and doesn't nickle and dime you, do what ever you can to keep 'em!

fiveoboy01
08-20-2007, 01:28 AM
I am to the point now where I don't even WANT to do crap like this.

Last year yes, I would have jumped on it and probably charged around 75 or 80 bucks.

I've learned, and I would quote around 150 bucks for it now. If I didn't get it, I wouldn't care because it's not something I want to do anyhow.

YoungGun
08-20-2007, 01:39 AM
The ROTOTILLER would do a fine job on that there yard ---

just get the cash and tell um there garden is ready for the next harvest :usflag:

topsites
08-20-2007, 03:05 AM
Customer: "How much you charge for xxxxx work?"
Me: "Sir / Ma'am, if I may have your address, I will have an estimate to you by evening today."
That should do it, but no, I already know what comes next:

Customer: "nonono, I just want to know how much it would cost blablabla..."
One more time: "Sir / Ma'am, if I may have your address I will have an estimate to you by evening today."
With some I have to say it a third time, whatever, I'm just as dumb as stupid can be.

Bottom line: No address, no quote, no deal.
I know chances are it's over right now and before I get moving, but that saves me the trip, the odds are in my favor.
Almost every single time, it's always some bs with that phone quote, hence the address trick.

Makes you feel any better, how do you think I learned? :laugh:
Been there, done that, more than a few times :cry:

$120 for that mess, done right.
1) After it's cut there's clumping, I have to pick that stuff up with a rake and tarp and load it up, haul it away, don't forget unloading and disposal. Ok you can bag it, but what you can not do is leave it clumped up, not in my business.
2) Wear and tear on the machine, that puts a week's worth of wear on my mower.
3) It's still cheap, honestly speaking.

Sad, I almost never get those jobs anymore.
But sadder still is the rigmarole and reason behind it all.

M.C.L.C.
08-20-2007, 10:33 AM
Would have charged 200 bucks, nothing less. We have had a couple this year that were tall enough that the city told them they had to get it done or they would be fined. And of course they want it caught instead of mulched we try for 45.00 per man per hour, 2 man crews.... however your going to have an abundance of clippings that will need hauled off from this site, so a little disposal fee is in order..75.00 is absolutly nuts imo

meathead1134
08-20-2007, 12:17 PM
That is the reason why that I will never quote over the phone. I will always go and see the property with the owner. I have done 2 of those this year.

$225.00 for 1 it took me 3 hours, I should have charged more.
$200.00 for another and it took me 55 minuntes.