PDA

View Full Version : I saw a sign that said Brickpaving $10.00 a sq foot...

MJK
08-17-2007, 10:43 PM
Do you guys think that he is charging 10 a sq foot on just labor, or just materials, or for the whole project? I don't charge by the square foot, but Iím trying to figure out how he charges his jobs to see how I would be competitive, what do you guys think?

PlatinumLandCon
08-17-2007, 10:47 PM
I think it's just labor. There's no way he could charge $10/sq ft all-in, materials cost atleast $7-8 for a cheapo brick.

mrusk
08-18-2007, 02:51 AM
Depends on the job. Some jobs i can do for 10 bucks a foot. Others i can do for 25 bucks a foot. Depends on conditions.

LB1234
08-18-2007, 10:00 AM
Not that I charge by the square foot but it is a way to try and compare pricing...

Where I am at there are a few companies going around that are charging between 10-12 per square. I'm in the 17-23 range. I don't know if I can get my materials for less than 10 a square. The basic paver costs me between 3-5 per square then you add everything else in, forget it, you approach 10 quickly. Needless to say I didn't get the job/s. What are you gonna do...win some lose some.

The best is when the customer calls me and says they like me better and I seem to know a little more, blah, blah, blah and then its followed by "Can you match the price?" or "Can you do any better on your price?" I explain why my pricing is where its at and show them the plans again on depth of base, proper restraint, my warranty, etc. My point is, I won't price match or move my numbers just to compete with another company. I'm not going to do work for cost or lower my profit margin just for the sake of being competive.

PlatinumLandCon
08-18-2007, 11:00 AM
Agree with above. They might be able to do it, but they're taking a shortcut with materials, workmanship, and profit.

MJK
08-18-2007, 12:57 PM
So you guys are saying that this person is charging 10 bucks per sq foot for install only? Then add the price of pavers?

PaperCutter
08-18-2007, 01:42 PM
I think that's everything. You can buy a cheap crap paver for around $1.25/. SF. There was a guy at a home and garden show here who told me he'll do driveways all day for $5.50/SF- prep, base, pavers, cleanup, done. Needless to say, I don't think I'll be referring any work his way ;)

mrusk
08-18-2007, 02:19 PM
I think that's everything. You can buy a cheap crap paver for around $1.25/. SF. There was a guy at a home and garden show here who told me he'll do driveways all day for $5.50/SF- prep, base, pavers, cleanup, done. Needless to say, I don't think I'll be referring any work his way ;)

5.50 a square foot may be low but 10 bucks a sq ft would not be low for a 10k sq ft driveway herringbone pattern.

The whole reason to not price by the square foot is because you will lose your butt on the small jobs and not sign the big jobs because you will most likely be to high.

paponte
08-20-2007, 07:49 AM
Theres guys around here doing them for $8sqft, including material. Little to no base whatsoever. I hear it all the time on estimates.

kootoomootoo
08-20-2007, 11:48 AM
$10 is easily doable .....this is a $10/sq ft job. 300 sq ft total.

2 guys one day. I dont get many like this but i'd do these all day everyday.
This is the cheapest paver Unilock sells ...$1.99 Gravel $17 delivered, concrete sand, edging, poly sand, labor....Do the math.

mdlwn1
08-20-2007, 01:44 PM
There are plenty of guys in Central Jersey charging 10-12. If you know how to run things........................

bishoplandscape
08-20-2007, 08:12 PM
You can make alright money with 10 a square.

LB1234
08-20-2007, 08:49 PM

This is the cheapest paver Unilock sells ...$1.99 Gravel $17 delivered, concrete sand, edging, poly sand, labor....Do the math.

Great example of exactly why its tough to compare pricing.

Didn't have to worry about ripping up any existing turf or repairing anything since its appears to be new construction. You could count on two hands the amount of cuts that needed to be made. The list goes on.

LB1234
08-20-2007, 08:51 PM
There are plenty of guys in Central Jersey charging 10-12. If you know how to run things........................

Agreed...

But if you knew how to sell things you might be getting near double that..............................................

Rex Mann
08-21-2007, 10:52 PM
Welcome to my world. And, we see this all the time from
legitimate companies.

Peace,

Rex
http://PaversInstalled.Com

phoenix craigslist > skilled trade services
please flag with care:

miscategorized
prohibited
spam/overpost
best of craigslist
PAVER DRIVEWAY & PATIOS $3.75/ft
Reply to: lhhomes@cox.net
Date: 2007-08-13, 10:18PM MST

Distinctive paver driveways and patios set you apart from your neighbors.
3 piece random size pavers starting at $3.75 per foot. Bid one day, start the next.
Please call, (602) 740-0078 for bid.

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
* License info: upon request

PostingID: 396550058

PlatinumLandCon
08-21-2007, 11:02 PM
lol...what a joke

wellbuilt
08-21-2007, 11:15 PM
My paver guys charge me 8 dollers a foot with a $2 allowance if i layout the job . Walks are 10 dollers .I try to to make 15 to 30% mark up but it depends on the job. Ive made some good money doing paver and walls .But my guys mostley did the masinary ,framing ,trimwork cabenets , tile , some times I would give the walls and pavers away for cost To get the larger reno projict. John

ChampionLS
08-22-2007, 03:25 AM
Ugh... everyone has access to the spell checker.. use it! :cry:

zedosix
08-23-2007, 02:17 PM

I don't know, I figure that one cost you min. 1500 materials and labour. Factor in all costs like fuel wear and tear on machinery etc, the end result is fair at best. My .02

paponte
08-23-2007, 06:21 PM
the end result is fair at best. My .02

Agreed. It's more like time and material, than what we should really be getting paid. I'm posting again on this thread due to another thread that was started... "what do you make more money on". Not to my surprise, most guys agreed it was planting, hands down. Dig a hole and plop a plant in... whoa alot of work. Compare that to the labor involved, skill and equipment involved to lay pavers, it just doesn't make sense to me. JMO.

zedosix
08-23-2007, 06:54 PM
More on planting, but playing with excavators and skidsteers is definetely more fun, and creative.

KPJK
08-23-2007, 11:50 PM
$17 for gravel explains the whole thing.

dchauling
08-24-2007, 10:55 PM
I can do 10 sq ft and make out ok. It is not enough for the winter but it keeps the wheels turning some days. A very tough market here, I am usually on the high end of quotes which is sickening. I do charge 7 for relays and make out alright with those. Soil and Sod is the big money maker here for me but 75% of my work has been hardscaping.

roguesuerte
08-26-2007, 01:16 AM
There is a large LCO here working for a larger builder here, in new constrction, supposedly charging $9 per sq.ft for pavers installed. This price is contingent on the fact that you use him for the full landscape package of plantings, sod, mulch, etc...I personally wont consider doing any for less than $15 per sq.ft.
Alot of the recent installs I have seen going in my area are like a what not to do course in paver installation.

leaflandscape
08-26-2007, 05:27 PM
There is a large LCO here working for a larger builder here, in new constrction, supposedly charging $9 per sq.ft for pavers installed. This price is contingent on the fact that you use him for the full landscape package of plantings, sod, mulch, etc...I personally wont consider doing any for less than $15 per sq.ft.
Alot of the recent installs I have seen going in my area are like a what not to do course in paver installation.

I'm on your side, you hafta make your work worth your while, especially in the more northern areas where you have so limited of a season. We very seldom come in less than $15, especially on patios. I can stay home and lose money, I don't have to go to work to lose money.

paponte
08-26-2007, 10:23 PM
Same here Rex...

Pavers Installed INEXPENSIVE!! UNDER $9 sq. fT.
Reply to: serv-406341841@craigslist.org
Date: 2007-08-26, 10:27AM EDT

We can beat any price. In business 30 years.

Stoops..patios...driveways...pools..you name it!

* it's NOT ok to contact this poster with services or other commercial interests
* License info: Since 1991

PostingID: 406341841