PDA

View Full Version : What Is A Good Backpack Blower?

SharpCutLC
08-18-2007, 01:49 AM
just wanted to see what you guys are using. We have always used stihl and we are looking for some new backpack blowers. what other names are good and longgg lasting?:drinkup:

cgaengineer
08-18-2007, 01:55 AM
BR600 for me...plenty of power and very easy to start. There is also less smoke and noise compared to a 2 cycle.

HenryB
08-18-2007, 09:24 AM
Check out this link.

http://www.the-lawn-advisor.com/Backpack-Leaf-Blower-Reviews.html

Texas Mower Parts
08-18-2007, 09:26 AM
RedMax 7001 or 8001

mdlwn1
08-18-2007, 09:35 AM
That link only tells you something if you're a homeowner.

DaddyRabbit
08-18-2007, 12:54 PM
Another vote for the technologically advanced Stihl 600 :clapping:BR600 for me...plenty of power and very easy to start. There is also less smoke and noise compared to a 2 cycle.

cgaengineer
08-18-2007, 03:04 PM
Check out this link.

That website says this about the BR600 "This is a 4 mix motor (2+4 cycle hybrid). It runs on regular mix. Stihl kept the weight down at 20lbs. While lighter than the Redmax 8000 blower, the difference in power is substantial. This machine does blow as hard as the Redmax 7001, which is still pretty good."

2+4 cycle? So its an 8 cycle?...come on people its a 4 stroke just like any other engine the only difference is the lack of an oil pan and instead using lubrication in the fuel like a 2 cycle. Why cant people get this through their heads? Oh, and its not a hybrid either!!!

hotwired
08-18-2007, 03:13 PM
I have 2 Echo BP 755 and love them. I think they're ONE of the higer rated cfm and mph wise, not THE fastest, but close, and we can rip pine needles up out of long grass with them. My advice with backpack blowers is to get the HIGHEST mph and cfm you can. getting 75% of the horsepower for 75% of the money will NOT yield 75% of the results.

Uranus
08-18-2007, 03:27 PM
I second the Echo 755. I have one and also teh 751. Nice blowers. Might not be the biggest and badest but for 75-100 bucks less I think I will stick with echo for a few more years.

ed2hess
08-19-2007, 12:06 AM
Stay with stihl....BR420 is proven unit and has not changed much....if you need more power and weight go up to the big Echo it is also tried and proven unit.....both of these are reliable unit and will last a long time under heavy use.

David Hartzog
08-19-2007, 12:51 AM
Stay with stihl....BR420 is proven unit and has not changed much....if you need more power and weight go up to the big Echo it is also tried and proven unit.....both of these are reliable unit and will last a long time under heavy use.

No No go with the redmax at least ask someone who uses one,you will feel the power and you will come back and said Hey david you where right redmax rules.

Chilehead
08-19-2007, 12:59 AM
Shindaiwa is number one for me--hands down!

delphied
08-19-2007, 01:19 AM
I wouldnt endorse any product because they sure as hell wouldnt do anything for me except take my money. I will say I had trouble with my Redmax products. My shindaiwa is very dependable. I bought a new Stihl br 600 instead of Redmax but cant say if its good or bad yet. Just got it.

SharpCutLC
08-19-2007, 11:12 AM
I would have to agree with ed2hess with the shihl's. i have 2 BR 420's and they rip. i just bought a Br 380, which just replaced the 420 and it is solid. starts verry easy and lotsss of power.:weightlifter:

LB1234
08-19-2007, 12:15 PM
Our first blower was a chincy Echo PB-601 about seven or eight years ago. Our next purchase was a Echo-PB six something (the big one) about five or six years ago. We then purchases a redmax 8000 due to all the hype about three years ago. Dealer stopped selling echo so bought a smaller redmax (305????)...I can't remember.

My partner and I really can't stand the redmax blowers. Even the 8001. Compared to the echo its not even close. It may (again might) have a little more power but its also harder to start, less reliable, bulkier, heavier and is a fuel consumption pig. When comparing the two smaller backpack blowers our little echo (even though there are pieces missing all over the place and is being held together with duct-tape and string) starts 1st/2nd pull while that stupid redmax just gives us problems starting. So our experienced opinion is echo blowers over redmax blowers. I haven't looked into the stihl blowers yet.

FYI, the opposite is true of line trimmers. Can't stand echo (can't give me one for free) but love our redmax trimmers. Go figure LOL:dizzy:

MTR999
08-19-2007, 01:29 PM

I heard BR 420 will discontinue next season and all Stihl blowers will be Br600 type, 4 mix. The sale of 420 is not picking up but the 600 is hot cake.

JayD
08-19-2007, 02:37 PM
Check out this link.

THANKS HENERY !
This is great.

Godfather
08-19-2007, 03:02 PM
i also have the echo 755 and it is a great blower.

fergman
08-19-2007, 03:50 PM
hess is right bud. the br420 is an extremely long lasting blower. i have 6 and we have used them all for blowing off driveways (just grass) for over 8 years. they are still running strong. but i like to use the echo 603 now for grass cause its light also and has a little bit more power and its been used for about 5 years. ithink the same model now is a 610. it starts alot easier than the stihls 1st pull NO MATTER WHAT!!!.. the LAST thing you want to do is have a bigger blower to tote around in all this heat. but if you want big power for leaves get the redmax 8001 hands down no joke. it is more powerful than the eb8510 shindaiwa that i have. in my opinion its just not a smart decision to buy a 4-mix to have to work on it. right now i have to pull anywhere from 8 to 19 or so times to get the eb8510 started and by then i could have been done and back in the truck with almost any blower.:hammerhead: pure stupid decision on my part. oh well. NEVER another 4-mix for me pal. i cant even find or call to figure out what the valve clearance is to adjust them myself. im just gonna have the dealer do it the first time and ill watchem. he said its under routine maintenance so its not warranty work:nono: oh well.

mdlwn1
08-19-2007, 05:05 PM
Brickman uses stihl because redmax isn't nationwide. I have never seen a medium to big size company (3) crews or more (northeast) use anything else. Could they all be wrong?....................Most people on here give their personal preference without really knowing the difference. If you only cut grass...it really doesnt matter what you use...if your doing leaves or curb edging cleanup.....there's only 2 options. As far as "newer technology" goes....ever see the guys who still refuse to let go of their 2-cylcle lawn boy's...engines that have been running for 15 years or more. Watch what the big guys use....it's that simple

SharpCutLC
08-19-2007, 07:25 PM
Thanks buys for all the input anout this topic. it is intresting to see what all you guys use and your likes and dislikes on these blowers. Stihl still stand at the top of my list and will do so till i find somethin better...

MCLC
08-19-2007, 09:50 PM
I own a Kawasaki KRB650 and always starts at the first or second pull, feels lighter than my brother-in-law Stihl 420 and not as loud and the price was better than local dealers ask for similar products, not really satisfied from the support from dealers on my area, got it from Ebay.

RedMax Man
08-19-2007, 10:00 PM
RedMax

Stihl

...These are probably the best blower brands in the industry.

All these blower threads are really getting old.

Maybe the mods could make a forum just for BLOWERS.LOL

Andyshine77
08-20-2007, 02:55 AM
hess is right bud. the br420 is an extremely long lasting blower. i have 6 and we have used them all for blowing off driveways (just grass) for over 8 years. they are still running strong. but i like to use the echo 603 now for grass cause its light also and has a little bit more power and its been used for about 5 years. ithink the same model now is a 610. it starts alot easier than the stihls 1st pull NO MATTER WHAT!!!.. the LAST thing you want to do is have a bigger blower to tote around in all this heat. but if you want big power for leaves get the redmax 8001 hands down no joke. it is more powerful than the eb8510 shindaiwa that i have. in my opinion its just not a smart decision to buy a 4-mix to have to work on it. right now i have to pull anywhere from 8 to 19 or so times to get the eb8510 started and by then i could have been done and back in the truck with almost any blower.:hammerhead: pure stupid decision on my part. oh well. NEVER another 4-mix for me pal. i cant even find or call to figure out what the valve clearance is to adjust them myself. im just gonna have the dealer do it the first time and ill watchem. he said its under routine maintenance so its not warranty work:nono: oh well.

My 8510 starts in one or two pulls, if it takes you that long to start your blower there is something wrong with it or the way you start it. Just my .02

02DURAMAX
08-20-2007, 08:36 AM
Echo PB-755T

02DURAMAX
08-20-2007, 08:38 AM
RedMax

Stihl

...These are probably the best blower brands in the industry.

All these blower threads are really getting old.

Maybe the mods could make a forum just for BLOWERS.LOL

NO.............ECHO!!!!!!!:D :D :D

TNT LawnCare Inc.
08-20-2007, 09:35 AM
Most of the big boys like Birckmen and Truegreen around here use Echo and Stihl Handhelds. The county crews also use stihl and echo. As stated dealer support is important to .

RedMax Man
08-20-2007, 09:46 AM
NO.............ECHO!!!!!!!:D :D :D

Oh yeah I knew i was missing another important brand. Echo had alot of loyal customers too.

caddman27
08-20-2007, 11:29 AM
Echo PB-755T for me. $100 cheaper then the redmax and just as good imo

T Total Lawncare
08-20-2007, 03:14 PM
That website says this about the BR600 "This is a 4 mix motor (2+4 cycle hybrid). It runs on regular mix. Stihl kept the weight down at 20lbs. While lighter than the Redmax 8000 blower, the difference in power is substantial. This machine does blow as hard as the Redmax 7001, which is still pretty good."

2+4 cycle? So its an 8 cycle?...come on people its a 4 stroke just like any other engine the only difference is the lack of an oil pan and instead using lubrication in the fuel like a 2 cycle. Why cant people get this through their heads? Oh, and its not a hybrid either!!!

The word hybrid intels that the machine has characteristics of both a 2 cycle and(+=crossed with, not addition or multiplication that equals 8?;) ) characteristics of a 4 cycle engine. To put it simply its a 4 stroke that uses 2 stroke gas.

cgaengineer
08-20-2007, 03:51 PM
The word hybrid intels that the machine has characteristics of both a 2 cycle and(+=crossed with, not addition or multiplication that equals 8?;) ) characteristics of a 4 cycle engine. To put it simply its a 4 stroke that uses 2 stroke gas.

No, I understand its not an 8 cycle...was being sarcastic, but how he worded it it appeared that way.

Richard Martin
08-20-2007, 05:52 PM
I have a Stihl 4 Mix here that my dealer gave me to play around with. I'm going to take it apart soon and see exactly how many strokes it is. This particular engine was replaced because it has the infamous bad valve guide that caused all of the early BR600 failures. I will be taking a pic of what to look for if anybody wants to see if they're having a problem with their BR600. It only requires the carb to be removed for the inspection.