PDA

View Full Version : impact wrench

mas
08-18-2007, 03:19 AM
How much ft of torque would you need to switch blades on a skidsteer bucket? would it be possible to use a 36v cordless dewalt?

thanks

wanabe
08-18-2007, 01:00 PM
Do you mean bolt on cutting edge? If so it will depend on how bad the bolts are. Mine gets the plasma or torch because the threads are so rusted up.

Scag48
08-18-2007, 03:22 PM
Yeah, it completely depends. A Dewalt 36V cordless impact puts down 325 foot/lbs, that's nothing to laugh at, so if that wrench doesn't get it there isn't much else that will.

Gravel Rat
08-18-2007, 05:37 PM
At one of the pits I worked at we used electric Makita impact wrenches but they were 110 volt plug in not battery power.

Nothing removes nuts and bolts faster than a gas axle. You should have lots of weasel pizz to soak the nuts to help break them free.

A breaker bar with the proper sized socket will help then use the impact to loosen the rest of the way.

dozerman21
08-19-2007, 10:10 AM
If the edge was installed with a pneumatic impact, which it probably was, an electric impact won't budge it.

More times than not, you'll have a bolt or two that is too boogered up for the nut to spin off. I usually end up having to torch them. I've got an pneumatic IR Titanium 1/2" impact that I use. It has 1,000lbs. of breakout force, which is much more than most 3/4" impacts. Some of the bolts can be a bear even for that.

If the edge was installed with a wrachet or electric impact, you may be all right. You could try to use a big cheater bar to break them, and then use your electric impact the rest of the way.

RockSet N' Grade
08-19-2007, 11:13 AM
Nothing says "remove me easy" other than a torch.

gammon landscaping
08-19-2007, 11:07 PM
torch, if the edge needs replacing so do the bolts they will probablly ring off anyway