PDA

View Full Version : just need to vent

cutbetterthanyou
08-18-2007, 12:43 PM
The guy that has been working for me give his 2 weeks which was fine. This week was his last. Monday he started the day out by busting a pvc pipe vent next to the foundation of the house with the weedeater, (mostly because he was hungover and careless) i let it go. I figured 4 more days and he is gone anyway. He whined the rest of the day so I give him off at lunchtime. Tuesday we cut a yard, he didn't want lunch, i did, so i ate a the yard in the truck when we left i asked him"did you trim over there" he said "yeah" i start to pull out and see stuff 6 inchs tall every where. I was so pissed i got out and trimmed myself for a half hour while he sat and watched. Wed we get to a yard that 's when the sh*t hit the fan. 2 weeks ago i sent him to pull the weeds and spray the driveway. I get there the driveway is dead and there are weeds 4 foot tall. I restrained myself and told him " here are some trashbags pull the weeds i am going down the road to check the other yard" 1/2 hour later i get a call from a mutual friend saying " hay your boy called me and another guy to come pick him up " well now i am really pissed I go back and the first thing the boy says is " you know it is really f****d up that you left me here to pull weeds" i flipped i told him "no, whats f****d up is that u lied about pulling weeds in the first place, you make me look bad to my customer because of it, and you called someone to pick u up in the middle of the day" then i told him he was just a lazy POS anyway and the only reason he was quiting was so he could go be lazy at his new job in the ac for less money and that if it was so bad i'll take you home now and don't worry about Thurs or Friday i'll do it myself just to not deal with you". Then he said i don't want this to mess up our friendship i told him that as far as i was concerned i did give 2 s**ts if you ever talk to me again i don't need friends that disrespect me and me business like that. I felt kindof bad afterward but i still mean what i said. Do any of you deal with nonsense like this he wasn't the best employee but never really a problem like this till the last week

Lohse's Lawn Service
08-18-2007, 02:11 PM
Sounds to me like you picked up this guy off the streets and told him what to do, without explaining to him what you expect to get done. With all the stuff you've mentioned, sounds like this guy could have been spotted from a mile away. I understand a few mess-ups, but your list is far too long. You'll be better off getting someone a little more qualified and paying a little extra $/hr. Good luck and let's hope you don't have to go through that again!

cutbetterthanyou
08-18-2007, 08:31 PM
Actual i didn't pick him up off the street, he was a friend of a friend. He had worked for me with no problems for all of this season and half of last, full time. I think he was just being a Jacka$$ because he only had this week left and knew i couldn't fire him because he was quiting anyway.

Lohse's Lawn Service
08-18-2007, 08:45 PM
I wonder why all of a sudden he would decide to be the type of employee we'd rather avoid hiring. I have trouble understanding why someone would completely change their work ethic. He should have just told you he's ready to move on, instead of giving you more headaches, but I guess that's just life. Anyways, glad you are moving on.

TurfProSTL
08-18-2007, 08:47 PM
I would have left him at the weed pulling job.....

JimLewis
08-18-2007, 10:08 PM
LOL. Memories of my past....

Yah, I used to think it would be a good idea to hire my friends too. Like you, I learned that lesson the hard way.

There are several problems you're facing. First, it's never a good idea to hire friends - at least not in the landscaping business. Now, if I owned a car stereo business and wanted a good floor salesman (easy job) then I'd consider hiring a friend. But landscaping is very hard and sometimes monotonous. It's not something most people are going to be excited doing for very long.

The second problem you're running into is this; Most Americans are lazy and have a poor work ethic. Sure, landscaping is a little exciting when you're the owner and you're making $30 or $40 or $50 an hour, or more. But as an employee, for $8 or $10 or $12 an hour, with no health insurance, no real upward mobility, etc. it's really not that exciting. Most Americans could find something that is less strenuous and pays more fairly easily.

It's sad, really. I was raised doing hard work on farms and nurseries. To me and you, it's nothing new. It's just part of life. But to some people who were spoiled growing up, they just aren't used to this kind of stuff.

Learn to speak Spanish. That's my advice.... :)