PDA

View Full Version : Yellow Jackets Remedy While Mowing

puppypaws
08-18-2007, 02:16 PM
This is what it says, try it and tell us if it works !!!

Bounce - Who Knew?

The US Postal service sent out a message for all letter carriers to
put a sheet of Bounce in their uniform pockets to keep yellow-jackets away.

Use them when playing baseball, soccer and when working
outside. It really works. The yellow jackets just veer around you.

WhitakerServices
08-18-2007, 05:57 PM
that is a new one on me. I am kind of doubtful but I usually get stung by those bastards 10-12 times a year so I may give it a try. It probably helps with late day b.o. too.

RonB
08-18-2007, 06:07 PM
We have them all around the shop - as long as you don't provoke them, I just let them fly around while working, I've never been stung that way.

Bounce might work in that instance, but if you go over a nest with the mower I doubt it'd help.

KTO Enterprises
08-18-2007, 06:33 PM
I have always been told just dont make sudden movements and they wont sting. Problem is I have a hard time keeping still once they are all around me.

Here are some things I do know to avoid as many of them from attacking you at once.

1. Light colored, preferably white shirts. They are attracted to darker and brighter colors.

2. No colognes for the men or perfume for the women.

3. Unscented deodorant.

rustic
08-18-2007, 07:44 PM
I find them really hard to provoke. They really are not easily riled, once you get to know them. But if you disturb their nest, they get damn angry. I doubt anything will deter an angry yellowjacket, certainly not a dryer sheet in the pocket, LOL.

puppypaws
08-18-2007, 08:11 PM
I find them really hard to provoke. They really are not easily riled, once you get to know them. But if you disturb their nest, they get damn angry. I doubt anything will deter an angry yellowjacket, certainly not a dryer sheet in the pocket, LOL.

I doubt it will stop them when they are on a mission but this is interesting.

http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_oct2004/Bounce_Use.htm

DiyDave
08-18-2007, 08:30 PM
I think they mean for the mailman to use the sheet to clean up the sh*t, after the yellow jackets chase him away from his appointed rounds.:laugh:

THEGOLDPRO
08-18-2007, 08:37 PM
speaking of bees, i saw this vid years ago, and thought it was coolest vid i have ever seen, they are giant hornets, vs honey bees
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-mE2Su5KBc

KTO Enterprises
08-18-2007, 10:01 PM
I doubt it will stop them when they are on a mission but this is interesting.

http://www.joe-ks.com/archives_oct2004/Bounce_Use.htm

Sounds like a good mythbusters episode. Lets see Adam and Jamie get tore up by the yellow jackets!

puppypaws
08-18-2007, 10:06 PM
speaking of bees, i saw this vid years ago, and thought it was coolest vid i have ever seen, they are giant hornets, vs honey bees
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H-mE2Su5KBc

Man, that is amazing, thank you for making it available to us.

How they get those pictures is beyond me!!!

Envy Lawn Service
08-18-2007, 10:22 PM

How they get those pictures is beyond me!!!

I saw a better version of that on TV that my daughter and I watched.

Just a few slaughtered a whole colony in no time.

Too bad I can't have a couple of pet giant hornets to send down a yellowjacket whole when some of the SOBs sting me.

I don't know what that other guy is talking about that it's hard to rile yellowjackets. Certain nests and during certain times of the year, some seem to be meaner than others... but they are all mean and love a fight.

I've seen nests so mean that they had bees standing guard of the entrance!

captbob
08-18-2007, 11:02 PM
The US Military needs a larger version to send in to Iraq.

puppypaws
08-18-2007, 11:24 PM
I saw a better version of that on TV that my daughter and I watched.

Just a few slaughtered a whole colony in no time.

Too bad I can't have a couple of pet giant hornets to send down a yellowjacket whole when some of the SOBs sting me.

I don't know what that other guy is talking about that it's hard to rile yellowjackets. Certain nests and during certain times of the year, some seem to be meaner than others... but they are all mean and love a fight.

I've seen nests so mean that they had bees standing guard of the entrance!

Yep, they are kinda like people, in the "dog days" of summer they get meaner than the devil.

WhitakerServices
08-19-2007, 01:00 PM
From my experience, they attack to defend the hive. You can walk right up on the hive if you are cautious but the mower and the trimmer have both gotten me stung. Maybe it is the heat , vibrations, noise, that make them feel threatened. last year I passed over a busy hive with the trimmer and was stung 3 times before I started running the 100 yd dash, when I stopped I got stung 3 more times. MEAN. I don't know if they rode on me or followed me, but it made the rest of my day a little worse.

THEGOLDPRO
08-19-2007, 01:14 PM

How they get those pictures is beyond me!!!no problem man.

LCPullman
08-19-2007, 07:09 PM
Around here, there are the yellow jackets (make their nests in the ground) which tend to be agressive even when they are not around their nests, and then there are the paper wasps which are no problem, unless you disturb their nests.
Truth is, its the paper wasps which sting us most of the time, because they make their nests in bushes and when you trim the bush or brush by it as you mow, they get angry.
Occasionally we actually get a yellow jacket sting, usually out of the blue, with no apparent reason, their stings are alot worse.

MOW ED
08-20-2007, 10:02 AM
I hit a wooden sign post while mowing last week. It was just a brush against it. I finished the pass and came back and holy sheet the little buggers were coming out of the ground next to the post. I pushed the sticks full forward and got thru. I thought I was good but I got what felt like a hot nail into my left leg. One got up my pant leg and hammered me. It paid with its life but left its mark for a while. Needless to say I stayed away from that area and will until the owners take care of the problem.