PDA

View Full Version : Wright Stander or ZTR????

chrisvinky
08-18-2007, 03:35 PM
I am just starting my business and ideally, I would like to get a 52" and a 36" mower. The 52" would be used for bigger 3/4 acre and up properties, and the 36" for smaller properties. My dilemma is whether to buy a 52" ztr or a wright stander. I think for the 36", I would like a stander or an Exmark walk behind with a sulky. I have really just started to look at the standers and I like them, but the closest dealer is 80 miles away. What do you guys think.

jameson
08-18-2007, 04:18 PM
I am just starting my business. . . What do you guys think.

I think for a guy starting a business (in August?), who presumably doesn't have a lawn under his belt (as we're imagining what lawns the mowers might be used on), buying 2 new machines without any positive income is a big mistake.

But that's just what I think.

If I was in your shoes, I would opt for a 36" walk behind and throw a stand-on sulky behind it for larger lawns.

After a few mean cutting seasons (or some large accounts w/contracts in hand), if you're still around. . . think more deck.

chrisvinky
08-18-2007, 04:43 PM
I really don't plan on ramping up 'till next year, but I want to get my equipment before then. I am really thinking of buying used, not new.

Most of the larger, more prominent houses around here (the ones I am targeting) have 1+ acre lots. Would a 36" really be big enough for these lots??

cgaengineer
08-18-2007, 05:15 PM
I like the concept of the Wright Stander...looks like it would be easy to control and you can see everything since you are standing.

BLKSS
08-18-2007, 05:28 PM
I think a 36 would be good. IMOP

cutedge
08-18-2007, 06:30 PM
I love my Standers!

SimonCX
08-18-2007, 06:36 PM
I looked at a 36 stander and ended up ordering another 36" hydro bobcat with sulky. The stander looks nice but I didn't like the controls. The controls should be adjustable, for me if I wanted to move my hands from the front to back levers I had to let go of the levers, which I didn't like. The concept is good but they should make it adjustable so you can move the levers in closer and are not spread apart so far. My dad tried it also and had the same problem and said he didn't like it.

lonnie
08-18-2007, 06:44 PM
Go with the Stander. I got a Gravely Stander and it will smoke the Hustler hydro WB I used to have. People will talk about the controls being weird but once you use them for a few days it will become second nature. Since you are just starting out the Standers will give you a mix of both in one machine.

Turf66
08-18-2007, 07:01 PM
I run out several isuzu's daily and I can honestly say that my highest use mowers are the 36" Exmarks/Turf tracers with hydro and the second highest use is the 44" Exmark HP rider. I use almost exclusively walk behinds and only use riders in the larger turf areas. Now having said that, I cut a lot of all inclusive neighborhoods and condos so this seems to fit my needs. I have a friend that cuts every yard he has with a 52" or bigger and it looks like someone took a machete to them! he thinks the bigger the mower the faster he can get done and the more houses he can cut, well I have seen his employees tear up yards left and right and he has lost business because of this. I would start with the smaller mower and start putting money into some advertising and maybe start getting some quality trimmers, edgers, blowers and you guys seem to blow alot of snow up there so year around money is something to think about. A 36" mower will go through most gates, I bought the new 40" Toro/Hydro walk behind and it won't fit through some of the gates that i have to go in so you will always need a back up plan. Good Luck!

ed2hess
08-18-2007, 10:23 PM
I don't understanding targeting both small and large properties which necessitates get two sizes of mowers. I would target one or the other and usually it is cheaper to focus on small lawns when starting. For small lawns use a Wright Sentar 36" is has a seat and you could do an property up to one acre if you had to.

chrisvinky
08-19-2007, 12:43 AM
I think I have decided to go with a 36" and as I get new accounts and more importantly CASH, I will move up to a bigger machine. I will target 3/4 acre and less properties in some subdivisions around my house.

Now my problem is what unit to buy. I just found a couple of good deals on some Quick 36's and on a n Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36". Any opinions??

rogerwb
08-19-2007, 01:00 AM
I have a 48" Stander RH. When you need to get off you just press the red button and step off. No getting up and down. Very comfortable.

rogerwb
08-19-2007, 01:03 AM
I just found a couple of good deals on some Quick 36's and on a n Exmark Turf Tracer HP 36". Any opinions??

Just demo each one and you will know what's right for you.

HS Football Rules
08-19-2007, 07:39 AM
My best suggestion for you just starting up is the Quick 36"..or 44"
Many here swear by them...not at them
Very good price point right now !!

Don't get top of the line trimmers/blowers/hedgers until you are positive
that this is the business for you. A good dealer will point out the lesser
models that will suit your situation.

And forget about a Z until increased production demands it.
When it does come time for the "starter" Z...I like the Wright Stander
large frame 52"....The stance is more comfortable than the others.

There is a TON of good advice here, and after time you will
recognize who provides the most thorough/useful info.

Having said that, DEMO's speak volumes.

Sorry for the long post, but I'm trying to get my word count up
to rival ENVY and topsites...:laugh:

Good Luck

chrisvinky
08-19-2007, 04:38 PM
Thanks for all the info guys. I have just really looked at the quick models and like them especially the 44" for the price. I wish I had some way to test them before buying.

How do they steer with the step saver on them???
Would it be better to buy a Quick new or a dual hydro used???

I have a bum foot right now where I stepped on a stake in my neighbors lawn, so as soon as I get going again, I want to go demo a few models. I have an exmark dealer about 20 miles away. If anybody has a quick 36 or 44 and lives close to me, I would really like to try one out if you didn't mind.

delphied
08-19-2007, 04:58 PM
[QUOTE=chrisvinky;1935149]Thanks for all the info guys. I have just really looked at the quick models and like them especially the 44" for the price. I wish I had some way to test them before buying.

I started my business this year with a Toro 44 WB. Later ,I got an Exmark 66. I tested Wright standers and Sentar Sports in 48 and 52. I love to drive them and may replace my 44 with one someday.

I recommend starting with at least a 44 WB. Also carry a 21 . If you have to, you can mow big or small. I would then get a large riding Z turn if the business works and use them both as I do. Why limit yourself to either large or small properties? A 44 or even a 48 WB is what I would start with and then get a large machine when it looks like a go.

LawnScapers of Dayton
08-19-2007, 05:20 PM
I run a 52" Stander, only pull off the 36" Toro when the Stander will not fit. Love the stander..... That is on properties that are 1/4 acre to 1+ acres......

jameson
08-19-2007, 05:24 PM
I have just really looked at the quick models and like them especially the 44" for the price.

BOP's Q44 is a good mower.

http://www.lawnsite.com/showthread.php?t=197553

chrisvinky
08-19-2007, 05:53 PM
Wow. I can't find anything (much) negative on the BOP products. Everybody seems to love them!

I am really considering the quick 44 now. I just wish I could drive it first.

KingOfCupCar20
08-19-2007, 05:58 PM
ive been using standers for years and absolutly love them...find a used one, possibly even calling some of the bigger LCO's out there and ask them if they are looking to get rid of some, i know around here anyways that quite a few people will trade in and upgrade there equipment every year or two...just a thought

rogerwb
08-19-2007, 06:39 PM
I am really considering the quick 44 now. I just wish I could drive it first.

YES THIS A MUST. Call the company and they may tell you who has one in your area. I looked at one in my area and it was a machine like no other. The guy was very happy to show off his machine.

causalitist
08-20-2007, 02:08 PM
i say go with a 48" walkbehind and a sulkie.. that is perfect midsize and is the best option for the first few years. just get a belt drive for 3k and be done with it. will work for the small lots and the big ones.. wait till you have 30-40 lawns to go spending a crapload. .. the quik 44 will work too.

trimmers/blowers and misc costs will add up faster than you think for start up!!

spend the extra money on advertising.. double what you were going to spend!

chrisvinky
08-20-2007, 03:30 PM
I spoke with Gary at BOP today on the phone and he emailed me some email addresses of some other owners of Quick 36's about 1 1/2 hours from me. As soon as I can I will contact these guys and try out a unit.

Gary really seemed like he was nice and answered all the questions I had.