PDA

View Full Version : How is work in your area ?

Gravel Rat
08-18-2007, 07:49 PM
For myself its been a disgustingly slow year thank god for the gov't job I have or I would be in the poor house. The 03 Ford I bought isn't paying for itself what so ever. The contractors I know have no work the sawmills have no work the one mill guy I haven't seen much of. The other mill says its dead slow. It is frustrating I'am not making any extra money :cry:

The idea of making the rubbish removal business go flopped one of my competitors he sold his truck couldn't make a go of it. The other guys with regular P/U trucks that do clean up jobs can't be doing much.

The construction has slowed down considerably the realestate market has too no building lots are being sold. The one landscaper company I know is busy doing maintenance work. The owner is so frustrated fighting people for money.

The poor summer we are having is killing the tourism anybody that relies on the tourism dollars will be suffering.

I would like to go back to working in the dirt again but that doesn't look like its going to happen anytime soon. I can see guys getting laid off because the lack of work. The equipment payments will be hard to make some of these contractors have bought new equipment. A few of the contractors that have been serving the area for 25-30 years are advertising for work which is a bad sign that the work is drying up especially if they have to advertise for work wanted.

A person I work for part time said the work is like a hard-on it doesn't last very long :laugh:

RockSet N' Grade
08-18-2007, 10:10 PM
I thought I wasn't busy because I had one week that was slow. I looked at the numbers for this year and they are very close to the same as last years monthly grosses. I am having to work harder at getting work, but that's ok. I had one week with no work and then the phone rang and I got 4 jobs from 230pm-5pm that same day with one bid in process for 35k. It is a great time to test my creativity, increase my skill sets if needed, be more flexible...........I will be around next year and the year after........

Gravel Rat
08-18-2007, 11:43 PM
I think people around here put too much faith into this boom is going to last. It moved too fast and too quick now things cost allot more to do. The cost of property climbed fast to the point is too expensive for most people.

Myself I can't beleive I haven't got any calls for work except for one customer. No calls to haul lumber I was getting quite a few loads of that nothing now. I haven't pizzed anybody off or over charged people :confused:

I have a steady job now but I don't really like the job but I have no choice I got to stick with it. No other work out there. I don't want to go back into landscaping there are too many complaining homeowners out there now more than there was when I was in the landscaping business. People hire you to clear some land by hand then they complain that your charging too much.

I never really did lawn mowing but mainly heavy grass cutting with brush cutter people were never happy. Then they expect me to mow their lawn with a Stihl brush cutter.

SiteSolutions
08-19-2007, 12:28 AM
So move already!

You post this same thread about every month. If the well is dry, drill somewhere else.

Seriously, though, make sure you are concentrating your energy and efforts on the things you can actually do something about - your circle of influence, not on the things over which you have no control - your circle of concern. That might mean moving somewhere that has work, or selling everything and saving up for a year or two, or going to school to learn new skills.

Work here is pretty good right now, although when I end up with nothing to do for a couple days it is easy to fall into the trap of worrying or just ignoring it when I could be out doing something about what I can do. I can call people, drive around and look for stuff going on, meet new builders, or even just brainstorm about new ideas or directions to explore.

If you can handle the heat you are welcome to come down to North Alabama; there's enough for everybody down here.

ksss
08-19-2007, 01:23 AM
Not that i will say that I told you so, I will only remind you that during one of the thousands of responses to one of your threads I mentioned that when considering things to get into for income you have to look at its income generating potential. It takes making a lot of money (gross dollars) to equal some money (net dollars). I did not see how doing cleanups and making runs to the dump for contractors or homeowners was going to make any amount of money even gross money. Even when times are good, it would be difficult to make any money doing that. You maybe be able to partly blame the local economy up there, but I also suspect your business plan sucks (sucked). You cannot often get lucky enough to throw a shingle out and make money hand over fist. It takes careful thought and planning and some capital and a lot of hardwork, and lastly drive. Even then, some times sh!t just does not work. You have to roll with it. However, from what little I really know about what your doing up there, drop the garbage runs and put some real thought into what your going to do.

Dirty Water
08-19-2007, 01:36 AM
It takes careful thought and planning and some capital and a lot of hardwork, and lastly drive.

If GR had any of the above he wouldn't be in that town right now.

There are some people meant to be owners, and there are others meant to be employees

SiteSolutions
08-19-2007, 02:23 AM
I did not see how doing cleanups and making runs to the dump for contractors or homeowners was going to make any amount of money even gross money. Even when times are good, it would be difficult to make any money doing that.

There's a couple mexicans down here that have a big single-axle truck, with a flatbed and steel sides that probably holds 18 or 20 yards. As far as I know all they do is cleanup. They make money, which I surmise because they have added a 2nd truck and both trucks are pretty nice, but I would think they have a couple things going for them that you do not:

1. Mexicans work cheap and so they have low overhead, and they probably load that truck by hand.
2. They are in with a big time builder that builds hundreds of houses every year

You maybe be able to partly blame the local economy up there, but I also suspect your business plan sucks (sucked). You cannot often get lucky enough to throw a shingle out and make money hand over fist. It takes careful thought and planning and some capital and a lot of hardwork, and lastly drive. Even then, some times sh!t just does not work. You have to roll with it. However, from what little I really know about what your doing up there, drop the garbage runs and put some real thought into what your going to do.

This is good advice. Make sure you find out who your customer is, and then find out if he wants the service you are offering, and then figure out if enough of him want enough of it at a high enough price to make big money. It sounds like you are doing this the easy way which is also the expensive way, by jumping in with (almost) both feet and seeing what happens. I think you already have the answer to the question of whether this is a viable business plan for your location & situation. So you have to modify your plan such that you are providing something that more people want, more often, for more money. This might mean scrapping the whole business for awhile until you have a plan for it. A builder wouldn't build a house without a blueprint. Maybe he would build a dog house, then a garage, and see how that went, and get a plan together from that, but even then, it is going to be one messed up house. He would expect to have to modify it somewhat or tear it down and start over.

Gravel Rat
08-19-2007, 03:22 AM
You move to where ?

Vancouver has lots of work but no where to live rent is out rageous you live in a carboard box in somebodies backyard for 1000 a month. Move to Alberta the money is even better but its even worse the cost of living is skyrocketing and not place to rent.

Talked to a contractor from the Okanagan lots of work there too but good luck in trying to find a place to live. The Okanagan is booming because the baby boomers are buying up retirement property dropping a million on a retirement house is a piece of cake.

I'am still trying to find something to do part time maybe make a extra 10 grand in a year. I gross about 38 grand a year which isn't enough for todays standards take home pay after taxes is 30 grand.

I want to buy a house but when the cheapest house is hovering around the 300,000 range the mortage payment is 1900 a month. I need a 30 grand down payment before I do anything.

Vancouver B.C. is worse your paying 800,000 dollars for a house on the east side where you find hookers on the street corners and hypadrermic needles thrown in the front yard. Where my grand parents used to live you had to be carefull digging in the garden by the sidewalk used to find drug needles all the time. Found a coke scale a druggy threw in the yard the guy come back for it I handed it back to him :laugh:

Anyhow I would like to stay where I'am atleast you can leave your doors unlocked or keys in your vehical. There are no freaks to harrass you. People say hello you know your neighbours. Yes the cost of living is climbing here when houses are selling for 1 to 2 million dollars.

I talked to fellow employees from Vancouver island they said its not cheap to live there either. The over 60 crowed is taking over pushing the prices sky high. One of the guys said he is the youngest in his neighbourhood (45 yrs old) the rest is 65. Albertans are buying places in the Comox area of Vancouver for summer places. Spend the 300,000 plus all they use the house for is a place to stay a few days a year to play golf. Many Albertans fly to comox play a round of golf and fly back home.

I will probably have to wait till 2011 before I can afford to buy house when prices drop I will be 34 years old then. I guess I will have to take up playing the lottary tickets see if I can win couple million :laugh:

Have to wait and see how much equipment the repo man ends up repo'ing here. Its gotta be getting a little tight the 3 to 10 grand a month equipment payments don't stop. Allot of the guys that jumped into the excavation business in the last couple years will be hurting the most. Thinking they are going to strike it rich. Now that there are so many mini excavator companies there isn't enough work to support them all. Everybody and their dog has bought a dump truck glad I didn't buy one there is too many now for the work out there.

Even thou I don't enjoy my job I maybe glad I have it atleast I will have a paycheck coming in. If the construction market gets even slower many people will be unemployed. There might be lots of stuff going up forsale for cheap.

Scag48
08-19-2007, 05:11 AM
If there's no work, the real estate market must be dropping, right? If so, wait it out, prices will level out. I'd keep an eye out for those idiots who were talked into buying a house they couldn't afford by a mortgage company out to make a quick buck. Foreclosures will be coming, just hold out and buy a house.

Real estate here isn't any cheaper, you complain of high prices but that's just how it is. Houses in the Seattle area that aren't a complete mess or in a terrible neighborhood are $350K+, that's just how it goes. Welcome to the real world, this is just the way it is.

qps
08-19-2007, 08:20 AM
Not that i will say that I told you so, I will only remind you that during one of the thousands of responses to one of your threads.

:laugh:

SiteSolutions
08-19-2007, 08:53 AM
I'am still trying to find something to do part time maybe make a extra 10 grand in a year. I gross about 38 grand a year which isn't enough for todays standards take home pay after taxes is 30 grand.

I want to buy a house but when the cheapest house is hovering around the 300,000 range the mortage payment is 1900 a month. I need a 30 grand down payment before I do anything.

I talked to fellow employees from Vancouver island they said its not cheap to live there either. The over 60 crowed is taking over pushing the prices sky high. One of the guys said he is the youngest in his neighbourhood (45 yrs old) the rest is 65. Albertans are buying places in the Comox area of Vancouver for summer places. Spend the 300,000 plus all they use the house for is a place to stay a few days a year to play golf. Many Albertans fly to comox play a round of golf and fly back home.

Sounds like there is a great market for someone to watch over and maintain these vacation homes when the owners are away. Maybe you could charge $500 a month to keep the grass cut, the lawn watered, keep an eye on things, and clean it up after they visit to play golf. Hire someone to help you clean them. Pick up 10 or 20 contracts in the same neighborhood, so you can keep an eye on all of them at once. Buy a quality sleeping bag. Unless all 20 owners are in town at once, you can sleep in a nice house every night.

Maybe a little far fetched but that took me five minutes to come up with. Look at the resources you have available, not at all the negative facts that say "you can't win". This little scheme if it works would bring in 10 grand a month, not a year.

JDSKIDSTEER
08-19-2007, 09:02 AM
Sounds like there is a great market for someone to watch over and maintain these vacation homes when the owners are away. Maybe you could charge $500 a month to keep the grass cut, the lawn watered, keep an eye on things, and clean it up after they visit to play golf. Hire someone to help you clean them. Pick up 10 or 20 contracts in the same neighborhood, so you can keep an eye on all of them at once. Buy a quality sleeping bag. Unless all 20 owners are in town at once, you can sleep in a nice house every night.

Maybe a little far fetched but that took me five minutes to come up with. Look at the resources you have available, not at all the negative facts that say "you can't win". This little scheme if it works would bring in 10 grand a month, not a year.I though I smelled smoke coming from down on Copeland rd early this morning.....You are going to have to stop thinking so early in the morning, you will hurt your self....LOL......I guess you are glad you bought the cab unit with this record heat wave of 11 100 degree days and above. As to your comment on down time a suggestion to all out there......Service and clean machines. A majority of machines down in our shop is because everyones excuse is they do not have time to keep them up....I see machines all the time that has seen no grease in months...but when I talk to the customer about it they swear they greased it. Dumb.

SiteSolutions
08-19-2007, 09:29 AM
Yeah, I have to get on here early or late at night; the air conditioning in my office quit on me. That, and I can't leave the wife + kiddos unattended for too long unless they are sleeping.

I will be doing some pressure washing and greasing this afternoon, along with blowing out the filters.

I was just thinking on Thursday, after power raking 4 back yards, there's no way I could have made it through the last week or two in an open machine! I had put a clean outer air filter element in the machine, and before I could finish the 4th yard, the filter minder warning popped up on my display. I shut her down and put in a fresh one.

Since we're hijacking the thread, what sort of deal can I get on a rim for a Harley rake? I just busted one on Jimmy's old rake. I'm beginning to think the Bobcat rake would have been a better choice for the abuse I dish out.

RockSet N' Grade
08-19-2007, 09:34 AM
I have read all the previous posts........they all speak to the same general principals. Adjust your attitude, allow yourself to be creative and a problem solver. Find a "need" and find a way to service that "need".......reprogram the negative into something positive so you can start attracting positive in your life.......there is opportunity all around us everyday if we are just open enough to see it, regardless of what the newspaper or my friends and neighbors say. Step out of your comfort zone and at least admit that there may be something better out there for you.......or continue on and repost your repost of your repost.........change the tape in the tape recorder and it will play a different tape...........

tnmtn
08-19-2007, 11:50 AM
what we have here is a broken record. i do not feel the least bit sorry for you and your situation. if times are tough and you are the go getter that knows as much about this bussiness as you like to think you do this thread would not be up. you say you want to work in the dirt bussiness but yet you still don't. if i wanted to crab fish in alaska you can bet i wouldn't wait in tennessee until alaska gets here. i would go to alaska. in the states we are seeing what is going on in the oil biz areas of canada. go there, it will suck, i know, i work in the u.s. oil fields. but on the positive side you will make a stake that can get you set up to do what you say you want when the real estate slump ends. i know this to because i am doin exactly that. at this point i have to warn you. your credibilty is going down the toilet and even despite your high thread count these repeating threads are becoming laughable. "wait and see" attitude will only ensure that you are a day late and dollar short.
good luck,

mrusk
08-19-2007, 12:34 PM
tnmtn just said it best. YOU NEED TO MAKE THINGS HAPPEN ON YOUR OWN! Its not the goverments fault, its not the economy fault, its not the high cost of living and land fault, ITS YOUR FAULT. Its not going to be easy to make it in business on your own. It will be the hardest thing you will ever do. But you have to do something. If that does not work try something else.

I am in the 3 year of business and have changed my direction 4 or 5 times already. You may have to do the same until you find something that works.

JDSKIDSTEER
08-19-2007, 01:25 PM
Yeah, I have to get on here early or late at night; the air conditioning in my office quit on me. That, and I can't leave the wife + kiddos unattended for too long unless they are sleeping.

I will be doing some pressure washing and greasing this afternoon, along with blowing out the filters.

I was just thinking on Thursday, after power raking 4 back yards, there's no way I could have made it through the last week or two in an open machine! I had put a clean outer air filter element in the machine, and before I could finish the 4th yard, the filter minder warning popped up on my display. I shut her down and put in a fresh one.

Since we're hijacking the thread, what sort of deal can I get on a rim for a Harley rake? I just busted one on Jimmy's old rake. I'm beginning to think the Bobcat rake would have been a better choice for the abuse I dish out.
Harley is the best out there.That is who makes Deere, Cat and Woods rakes.I have heard a lot of bad feed back on Bobcat rakes and most Bobcats I see are running Harley. Loader Services sells Harley too....You just bought a used rake. All power rakes take a lot of abuse. You will have to check with parts..I am not sure about rim price. I can trade it in on a new one if you are interested just call.

Dirty Water
08-19-2007, 01:37 PM
8 Months ago, I abruptly quit the outdoor biz, and transplanted my family to seattle.

We are paying well over $1k a month to live out here in an apartment, but its been a gamble worth doing. I have managed to double last years annual salary already, and we are on track to buy a house by this time next year.

I have a 3 yr old, and on the way, and I did this. Whats preventing you from doing this by your self?

Fieldman12
08-19-2007, 02:25 PM
The over all economy is slowing down. Anyone knows that who plays in the stock market. All I can tell you is if it is not working out than you need to sell the truck and move on to something else. No need to keep throwing good money at bad. It's a very tough and competitive market out there. I owned a internet business at one time. As others have said it may be best you move. I know sometimes that is easier said than done and it cost money. Are you going out at least a couple times a week and introducing yourself to homeowners?

AWJ Services
08-19-2007, 04:26 PM
One builder in my area has 30 million dollars worth of property sitting.
I personally no of 7 builders that are in the process of filling bankruptcy.
There are neighborhoods with framed houses with no roofs and the wood is already turned black.
One guy who does landscaping is owed 80k by one builder.
Practically all new construction has halted.
Subs everywhere are scrambling for work.

wellbuilt
08-19-2007, 05:02 PM
Gravel Rat is takeing a real beaten here .You guys are a rough croud I mite have to run back to the old builders site where i came from. Things are geting tight all over ! I lost a 20 year old bisness in january Happy New Year! We had 10 guys working year round , more in the summer months . My partners wife ran off with the pool guy last sumer and with work geting harder to come by he wasent working our leads hard enough .Now Im kinda in a spot I am starting over for the thired time in the reno bizz Im getting work but not from advertizment. I have to go out and find jobs at soccer games shop rite, nocking on doors .I hate sales but now i have to do it.I fixed a deck stair for a old guy on the main drag in town then the a guy asked me to fix a stone porch then we did new windows and sideing on a house next door now we built a 2 car garage , last week we demoed a house so we could re build in sept ect . Its hard and i live in the mountens with a bunch of red necks . I would move but my wife makes good money hear with a in home daycare . Im doing good with three dump trailers I use them on my jobs and i rent them to home owners /diysers . Im going to try a add in the paper Dump trailer rental .im makeing good money with out a big out lay of cash.one trailer is makeing me around 350 dollers after fuel &dump fee . I could rent all week long but i dont have the time my wife drops off dumps for me sometimes but she wont go to the dump because it smells, most of them go friday to monday. you need to start slow and build up a rep now so when things kick in again you could be there ready. Im not book smart but im a funny guy . people like me and trust me . I give most coustemers my personal garety that they will be happy with our work and mean it. Ive been beat a few times but who hasent .I think next month i can start getting a pay check again . good luck John

SinjonAssociates
08-19-2007, 05:02 PM
I just went under contract for the Fix-n-Flip I just finished, $500.00 over what I was asking for the place!!! I had two couples in a bidding war over my house because everything they had looked at previously was poorly remodeled by people who are looking for a fast buck. I have found a niche that is working for me. I have learned some hard lessons over the years doing them but I wouldn't be where I am today if I hadn't jumped into the game.

George

ksss
08-19-2007, 06:35 PM
Well built there is a lot of history here on this topic that you are likely not aware of.

wellbuilt
08-19-2007, 07:47 PM
I think i will stick around and see how things work out for the GR .This site is great .There is no place to get this kind of experience . I hope i could be of some help in the future. JohnWBH

janb
08-19-2007, 07:55 PM
Not that i will say that I told you so, I will only remind you that during one of the thousands of responses to one of your threads.

:laugh:
not to wear out a theme....

but a house just might be the last thing I would be looking into buying at your age with current prices. It is tough to pencil what you would do with a $300k house when you have to move and can't sell... rent won't make payments.

thus... just imagine spending the same $$ on a commercial building that is reaping you $3,000/month rents while you sleep (or work your gov job...) Then in 15 yrs it's paid for, and you've probably bought another one for gravy income. The rents will be $10,000 month (free cash flow) and you can be digging with your new mini-ex, or sitting on a beach in Tahiti :walking:. It won't matter, as someone else will be paying you, AND your payment, whether to Club Med or your friendly equipment dealer.

Houses are not all their cracked up to be, and the charm is elusive with current prices, I think you will have to be more creative than the average rat to make it in the current / future economy.

Good luck.

There is some saying about "getting off the pot"...:sleeping: ... whether it's the pitty or the potty... --- same idea - don't let the moss grow under your feet (or on your new truck) - don't get snagged by the minor details. Movin' on...:weightlifter: :canadaflag:

tthomass
08-19-2007, 09:21 PM
I can't afford to live how I want here in northern VA. Business is good though. I pay my dues (time and rent) and keep things going in an expensive area. Sucks to hear things are slow for you. I'm full to November 1st but still not satisfied because even though its August I'm thinking in November.

The market has slowed a lot here too. People were flipping houses left a right until about 2yrs ago. Now what you are seeing is that they can't gain buy moving into a bigger house and instead investing in what they've got. A lot of kitchens being built, additions and landscapes.

Some here are hurting for work but it is more the larger companies I believe. Too much overhead. $20mil company I worked for is sending 3 guys (1 of which is a lead forman) to a job this week, for two days, to bury downspouts for $1500.....ouch. Then again they were in trouble during the boom haha.

When the gett'n is good save. I wouldn't sell because you probably won't get decent $. Wait it out and go network your butt off. What other things could you do with you truck......

Fieldman12
08-19-2007, 09:22 PM
Around here building is slow.I talked to the crane operator that helped put the trusses up on the new barn, along with the excavator, truck driver, and builders. Even barn sales are a little slow due to hobie farmers. Only people around here spending money is the farmers.Hopefully things keep going well with the Bio-diesel and ethanol production. They are suppose to be building a plant close to us. The farmers are fighting for the land now. We only have 153 acres total with only about 130 of it tillable. It is now rented out to three farmers. We have about nine guys in line wanting any of it if one or all fall out. Farming I think will help pull the economy out as it did way back in the past at least in certain areas.

Gravel Rat
08-19-2007, 09:29 PM
My surprise is how fast things have changed from no shortage of work to bam. Property isn't selling so now developers are sitting on empty lots probably millions worth of property.

I have been doing this junk removal for the last 14 years I'am the only contractor that really does it. The big bin service with tandem axle rolloff trucks don't do junk removal.

More and more homeowners are doing more of their own work trying to save money. Instead of paying me 150 dollars a load plus dump fees they are hauling stuff away in their personal pickup truck. To get rid of a load of wood waste say from a renovation is 135 dollars a ton at the landfill.

The subdivisions I was hoping to get some work from are not moving. House renovations are not happening which is where I get most of my jobs from.

My work comes from word of mouth its the best advertising for a small area like this one. Thats not so good if you screw somebody and I never done that I'am fair with my prices. The word spreads fast that your not doing a good job etc. The word spreads fast when you have a dead beat homeowner that doesn't pay their bills. I tried advertising in the paper nobody really reads the ads in the paper.

The guy that was compeating with me had a website and ads in the newspapers it was costing him lots no calls from them at all. His jobs come from word of mouth like mine. He lived in the next community down which is larger and more opportunities for work. He found a steady job doing something else he couldn't make it in the junk removal he covered alot more area than I do.

I have the advantage in my area from a familly that has been in the area for 3 decades. I know 99% of the contractors in the building trades.

The industries on the West coast that used to support the area is slowly disapearing. Forestry is one of them a industry that used to employ thousands in the area now employs hundreds. Commercial fishing used to employ hundreds its dwindled down to 100 at the most.

Tourism is going to be non existant because resorts are being torn down for condo developments. Camp grounds being redeveloped into subivisions. Its all to try cash in for baby boomers buying expensive houses. Recreational areas are not a priority anymore clear every tree off the land and put $400,000 plus houses on it.

It is to the point now anybody that works in a grocery store making 10 dollars per hour doesn't even have a chance. I make 21 dollars per hour and its barely enough.

I was reading in a trucking magazing the other day Alberta is screaming for truck drivers I could go back there but they are only getting paid what 2-3 dollars more per hour more than here. The truck drivers I talk to say its not worth it sure you have more work but when your paying 1200-2000 a month for a apartment in Alberta your making the same amount of money as here.

There really is no niche markets anymore mini excavating used to be but with the machines avaiable to hire the market is flooded. There are more landscapers out there for the work available.

The one guy I know gets most of the work because he is a landscaper that is certified with lots of experience. He is the only one I recommend to people that want planting and landscaping work done.

Have to see what winter brings I'am glad I haven't sunk myself too far into debt. Many people right now have maxed out credit cards and barely making payments on bank loans. I might beable to pick up a cheap house this winter.

Fieldman12
08-19-2007, 09:51 PM
I have had a good idea for a while that the economy is not doing as well. Allot of the money ( at least around here) that is being spent is old money. I mean that the money was made years back when the economy was better. All areas have not felt the affects yet. I have a feeling it's gonna be slow for at least another year or so.

YardPro
08-19-2007, 10:36 PM
I can't afford to live how I want here in northern VA. Business is good though. I pay my dues (time and rent) and keep things going in an expensive area. Sucks to hear things are slow for you. I'm full to November 1st but still not satisfied because even though its August I'm thinking in November.

The market has slowed a lot here too. People were flipping houses left a right until about 2yrs ago. Now what you are seeing is that they can't gain buy moving into a bigger house and instead investing in what they've got. A lot of kitchens being built, additions and landscapes.

we are seeing the same thing....

flippers were no good for us, they wanted minimal investment.

RockSet N' Grade
08-19-2007, 11:17 PM
Junk removal combined with demolition can be an awesome income. There is a guy here who's Dad started in junk and then combined with demo/salvage. From my understanding, he bids alot of the jobs for demo at cost and makes his real money from the salvage of copper piping/wire, metal per pound, etc. GR, I think your junk removal business is a good one........it just needs a little push. Think about the demo idea.......it just may be the missing link for you.

Gravel Rat
08-19-2007, 11:25 PM
In the 80s was a real bad recession the interest rates were pushing 18-20% it took a long long time to recover from that. Then it was up and down in little swings not much thou. Then there was a short boom in 93-95 that hurt then it was slow from 95 to 2003. In 2004 things started to pick up then 2005 was just plain nuts. Property that you couldn't give away for 15 grand was selling for 150 grand. The reason why those properties couldn't sell because you couldn't get a septic field on them without putting a 50,000 dollar drain field on it.

Prices started climbing in the area house prices jumped 100,000-200,000 dollars. Never seen houses in the area sell for 1.5 to 2 million dollars now they are selling. Then the developers started jumping on the bandwagon thinking they are going to get rich. Acres of land started to be cleared and millions of dollars being spent. It kept excavation contractors busy for almost a year. People were in a rush to build houses so there were new houses popping up everywhere.

Now 2007 hit holy crap who pulled the plug on the boom the construction slowed down. The realestate sales dropped considerably there was no more bidding wars on houses. Houses that were selling in weeks are sitting on the market for months. Developers have acres of land developed and no sign of sales. Some of them put the halt on the projects they have too much money spent and nothing coming back in.

Now the house prices have gotten so high people my age can't live here. So with no younger generation the community turns into a retirement village.

The average house price in may 2007 was 409,000 dollars back in 2002 before the boom started the average house price was 200,000.

As it stands now there a 2600 residents there are 1255 people over the age of 55. My age group 25 to 44 there are 185 men that live in this area which are employeed in the construction trades and other service industries. There are 235 men in 45-54 age group 50% of them work in the construction trade the rest are semi retired.

grassmanvt
08-19-2007, 11:38 PM
Don't want to pretend I've got all the answers but heres how I see it. Yes things were super booming for a while, that was nice but not reality. Remember the tech stock fiasco a few years back, up, up, up, and then, back to reality. Around here things have slowed according to some but, luckily, I can't say I've seen much of any difference exept that I think I am seeing better deals on heavy equipment, nothing drastic but a deal here and there. My mowing has remained the same, just picked up a pretty decent plow job for the winter, and, been doing small jobs as time allows. Anyhow, back to your reasoning, what I can't understand is that in one phrase you make it sound like a ghost town out there and in the next breath say all the land is being bought up, subdivided, no more camp or recreation grounds etc, all going into condos expensive housing. Not only do you sound defeated but unless I'm reading this wrong, your contradicting yourself. A friend of mine always says (ok maybe not word for word but something like...) if you don't like your situation, change yourself, if you can't change yourself, change your situation, ie. basically, if you don't like your situation, you've got to make a change no one will make it for you. Repetitively dealing with a problem the same way and expecting different results doesn't work. Thats my rant for now, Best of luck.

Gravel Rat
08-19-2007, 11:41 PM
To answer Rock Set there isn't much demo anymore its controlled demo and renovations are done. I used to get lots of work cleaning up demo jobs and help with small demo jobs.

A new house is pushing 200 dollars a square foot to build now so renovations are cheaper plus you don't need to go through the headaches of dealing with the building dept. The demo work is done by the building contractor doing the renovations. To build a new 2000 square foot house is 400,000 dollars now and all the other stuff you need to deal with it takes 6 months to get building permit.

I was kind of hoping the reno jobs start with the people buying older houses that want to fix them up. Its not happening this year :(

The rules here is if the house is in a spot where it wouldn't be allowed with todays rules and regulations the house is torn down to 1 wall then the additions are added to the house. Did that to one house back in 1999 we ripped the sucker down to one wall and a shack turned into a 2 story house.

From 2000-2002 I cleaned up more renovation jobs than I could shake a stick at. Then again back in 2000 a person could buy house for 200,000 put 100,000 into renovations you got a nice house. At todays prices the same fixer upper house is 400,000 the home owner can't afford to put any money into renovations.

The way my work shedule works out with the gov't job I get 10 days off in a month. I want to work some or most of my days off to make money. If I can make a extra grand a month will give me 12 grand a year to put away in savings.

Gravel Rat
08-19-2007, 11:54 PM
Grassman the land is being developed and condos are being built on spec but nothing is selling.

Almost 60-70% of the houses being bought here are summer houses not full time residents. They will live here 2-3 months out of the year untill they fully retire then they will move here. When these people that have bought here and live here full time the population should increase to 3000.

SinjonAssociates
08-20-2007, 12:08 AM
we are seeing the same thing....

flippers were no good for us, they wanted minimal investment.

They may not be employing you specifically but they are providing work for many others as well as helping me sell my place because of their "minimal investment". A large part of the predicament that many are in is due to the lack of work ethic and dishonesty that many people have, from thieves that steal the coppper out of your house to the mortgage broker and appraisers that over-value a property to gain a fast buck.

George

Gravel Rat
08-20-2007, 12:17 AM
Had a few investors buying houses in the area figuring they could flip them they got caught now they are stuck with them :laugh:

Scrap metal theiving is a problem here aswell but the thieves are out of luck the only copper used in a house nowwadays is for wiring. Copper pipe for water lines went out a long time ago its all Pex pipe.

SiteSolutions
08-20-2007, 12:32 AM
OK, maybe this is it? Two thoughts:

First thought is how much time you can realistically put into your business and what it takes to actually make it grow:

You are investing 40+ hours per week on your govt job, correct? My old night job, I had to spend 55-65 hours or so a week, 45 actually at the plant but also another 1.5 hours per night driving there and back, plus the time to drive off whatever job I was on, plus time to get a shower before work... and that was the simple math of it. I only had 20 hours at best in a week to spend on my business. Even doing that, I barely saw my family.

Quitting my night job was the best thing I ever did, although I spent two years bitching and hating life and keeping a regular job with steady pay and benefits. Maybe this year ain't your year, if things are suddenly so slow, but use the time to get better and meet people. Learn skills and learn the business. (Although it sounds as though you have plenty of this going for you already, it never makes sense to stop learning.) When the next wave comes, make sure you are ready to put 60+ hours into the business.

Second thought: you can weather the storm if you quit peeing your pants:

I don't know how bad cost of living is, but SURELY a single man making $21 an hour can get by! I supported a family of SEVEN on $22 an hour for the previous year, making loader payments, business insurance, trailer, truck, I mean COME ON! Buy a tent if it is that bad. You say your family has been there for 3 generations. Live with your folks if you have to! Geeeez. Who are you trying to impress? Buy a house when you have a wife and kids to put in it, and a bunch of money to pay for it. Stop spending money on all the _______ (marijuana? computers? car stereo equipment? twinkies? steak dinners? whores? whatever it is) and live reasonably; you will be fine.

Gravel Rat
08-20-2007, 12:53 AM
I can hold off and wait and see what happens but its frustrating.

A 21 dollar (19.74 US) per hour job in this area is okay pay but its not good with a take home pay of 2000-2100 a month its not great. The job I have now is a good job for a female its not hard work and at 21.00 per hour is considered good pay for females. If I got a job with the municipality which I tried a few years ago but their pay rate is 24.00 per hour to start. Then you get over time which I don't get now. To buy a house on the West Coast of B.C. you need to make 4-5 grand a month.

Some basic expenses I have now is a 700 dollar truck payment my insurance is 120 a month and my fuel bill is about 240 a month. If I wasn't house sitting I would be paying 800-900 dollars a month in rent. I have been looking at buying a 5th wheel trailer and putting it on my famillies property and live in it.

I work 60 hours for each shift then get 4 days off. In my 4 days off if I can make say 100 dollars a day I would be happy. To make 100 dollars is 2 hours trucking if some labour work is involved I can make 140 for the day. Today I made a extra 70 bucks for 1 hour garbage hauling job. Throw the stuff on the truck take it to the landfill get rid of it go home.

SinjonAssociates
08-20-2007, 12:57 AM
Had a few investors buying houses in the area figuring they could flip them they got caught now they are stuck with them :laugh:

Scrap metal theiving is a problem here aswell but the thieves are out of luck the only copper used in a house nowwadays is for wiring. Copper pipe for water lines went out a long time ago its all Pex pipe.

Once again you are missing the point GR or should I say the big picture!!! I too use pex for water lines. It doesn't matter if it is copper for water or electricity the example stands. STEP OUT OF YOUR BOX!!!!. If you don't take a chance in life you will be stuck in the same rut that you are complaining about now. You are young and single now. You pop a kid out or two that rut will get VERY LARGE.

George

SiteSolutions
08-20-2007, 01:09 AM
S4!T FIRE! $700 truck note and happy to make $400 a month with it? :dizzy: Man my mortgage is just over $700! You've got too much truck. I got by with POS equipment when it only had to run 20 hours a week. Cost a lot less. Yours only has to run 2 hours a week! I bet you could find a truck that will work for 2 hours per week for a pretty reasonable price, leaving you money to rent a shack and actually buy groceries. Better get that anchor from around your neck. I'm working my new loader full time now and still barely paying more than that 2 hour per week black hole you've got. That sucking sound you hear is one third of your income leaving your pocket for a fancy lawn ornament! Or, look at it like this: your real income, adjusted for the truck, is only $14 an hour or $1400 a month!

Scag48
08-20-2007, 01:11 AM
GR, you're not married and/or have kids, right? I'd lift up roots in search of something else if you're not willing to hang out. I'm joining the union next spring in hopes of becoming one of the best and it wouldn't bother me one bit to just bail out from where I'm at if needed to go somewhere else in the US to stay busy.

I dunno though, I'm not the best example of that though. My life is a bit screwed up, I care more about who I am professionally and reaching my goals than anything else. Some folks actually want to settle down and have a wife and family, that's not a priority for me.

Gravel Rat
08-20-2007, 01:43 AM
I have too many people telling me stick with the job I have now. Its not the greatest situation but the way I'am looking at it now is when the economy in B.C. flushes down the toilet I will still have a job. The economy in B.C. is on very unstable footings there is no meat and potatoes behind the economy like Alberta and its oil. Our economy is fueled with low interest rates and realestate hype. Interest rates are starting to climb now which is already having a affect. If the interest rate climbs high enough people that are already just swimming with their head out of the water will be drowning.

Right now contractors (excavation) are not hiring anybody they just have enough work to keep the staff they have now working. If the trend continues the way it is now there will be lay offs and equipment being parked.

No I'am not married and I have no desire to get married or not yet.

Gravel Rat
08-20-2007, 01:54 AM
The truck I bought was 30 grand I sold my other truck for 12 grand now I'am left with 20 grand to pay on the truck. The loan term I have is 4 years I could have the payments adjusted but sooner I get the truck paid for the better.

If I bought a new truck the payment would be 1600 a month. I also use the truck as a daily driver so I gets me back and forth to work. Its not like the truck sits. I would like to make more money with the truck but thats not in the cards right now.

With the old 95 F-450 I had I could have kept that truck but it was old and tired so I bought a newer truck. The 95 needed 5 grand worth of work I didn't want to put that into a old truck. I had no idea what so ever what the engine had for mileage the dealer I bought the truck from said it was a rebuilt PSD BS it was a used engine.

I thought about buying a car to get back and forth to work but if I spend 3 grand on a decent commuter car I'am not saving anything. Besides the F-450 drives like a P/U truck.

Construct'O
08-20-2007, 09:33 AM
Here"s the scoop!!!!!!!! I hear their hiring for the second season of the "Iceroads" !:cool2:

I'm sure Hugh will be hiring,since his last three drivers quit or got fired.

He also has excavating company when not on the iceroad.:dancing: Plus he will be furnishing place to sleep "the truck" big savings there.

Just think ! New adventure ,high pay,and a learning experience all wrapped into one job.:weightlifter:
Good Luck:walking:

janb
08-20-2007, 02:53 PM
... I also use the truck as a daily driver so I gets me back and forth to work. Its not like the truck sits. I would like to make more money with the truck but thats not in the cards right now. ...
I thought about buying a car to get back and forth to work but if I spend 3 grand on a decent commuter car I'am not saving anything. ...

lets see some pics of your "Signage", an empty truck with good advertising driving around should bolster your business, especially during firewood season

yeah, for someone your age (and male) it is probably cheaper to use it for a commuter if not adding too many miles to it.,

$3k is a tad spendy for a commuter car. I commute and bid in a $35 VW Rabbit truck that gets 50 MPG and can run on free fryer grease. Insurance, tires, maint. is pretty cheap, but it is not too smart from a 'safety' perspective. It has never left me stranded, but I have 27 spares, since they are so cheap :dizzy: (my wife is not impressed)...

Fieldman12
08-20-2007, 09:24 PM
I drive a old Chevrolet Lumina car (93 model with 182,000 miles) back and forth to work every day. For the weekend we drive either my new truck or my girlfriends Saturn SC2 car. When I go out and bid jobs I take the new truck. I think it looks more professional on my part and more fitting to the job to show up in a Diesel pickup than the old car.

Gravel Rat
08-20-2007, 09:46 PM
I haven't got any signage on the truck except for my name to satisfy the DOT regs.

There isn't any junkers left in the area the cost of scrap metal is so high every beater is gone. At 130 dollars a ton old vehicals are disapearing from the area quicker than a flash.

I have to make more investment into my truck and get the brandnew hoist I have sitting in my basement on the truck. Once the deck is dumpable then I can try get back into delivering dirt and topsoil.

dons
08-20-2007, 11:24 PM
One builder in my area has 30 million dollars worth of property sitting.
I personally no of 7 builders that are in the process of filling bankruptcy.
There are neighborhoods with framed houses with no roofs and the wood is already turned black.
One guy who does landscaping is owed 80k by one builder.
Practically all new construction has halted.
Subs everywhere are scrambling for work.

This sums up what is going on here with new construction, we started to feel the hit June of 06'. Things have literally stopped on track homes.

mrusk
08-20-2007, 11:34 PM
This thread has yet to make any progress is 5 pages.

SiteSolutions
08-21-2007, 12:07 AM
This thread has yet to make any progress is 5 pages.

It's like talking to one of my kids toys, then pulling the string... after a while you realize there's only 3 or 4 different things that it will say back, no matter what you say.:rolleyes:

mrusk
08-21-2007, 12:09 AM
More like no progress in 4 years. Errr buying the new truck was some progress

AWJ Services
08-21-2007, 09:01 AM
This sums up what is going on here with new construction, we started to feel the hit June of 06'. Things have literally stopped on track homes.

Most of my work luckily is for homeowners.

It started here late last year.

RockSet N' Grade
08-21-2007, 02:30 PM
I've been watching Ice Road Truckers and I think Construto has an awesome idea for you GR. Old Hugh may have the biggest grapefruits I have seen in some time.......may share some of that "move forward" attitude that he has got. That guy ( Hugh ) is one obsessed/driven individual.........I kinda like his take no prisoners attitude and his git-er-done !

Gravel Rat
08-21-2007, 09:13 PM
Talked with a owner operator he does that and other trucking in Alberta but he is from B.C. . I can't remember how much he made in a month but it was something like 40 grand.

The only truck driving I will do is drive dump truck I have no desire to become a overweight long haul truck driver :laugh:

Fieldman12
08-21-2007, 09:43 PM
Okay, what is a Ice Road trucker? This is just a stab in the dark but is it someone that drives on ICY roads? lol

Dirty Water
08-21-2007, 09:57 PM
Okay, what is a Ice Road trucker? This is just a stab in the dark but is it someone that drives on ICY roads? lol

Ice Road truckers are the guys that drive up in the artic circle across frozen lakes, as there are no real roads.

Basicly, they drive 100+ ton rigs across hundreds of miles of 2' thick ice.

It takes cajones.

Fieldman12
08-21-2007, 10:28 PM
Okay, I know what you are talking about. I have seen pics of them. I also have saw the Case IH Steigers, Deere, and Cat machines pulling things around up there.

dozerman21
08-21-2007, 10:47 PM
Okay, I know what you are talking about. I have seen pics of them. I also have saw the Case IH Steigers, Deere, and Cat machines pulling things around up there.

It's also a TV show on The History Channel. In fact, there's one coming on at 10:00. It definetly takes some marbles!

Gravel Rat
08-21-2007, 11:11 PM
Its running on frozen lakes and tundra hauling materials in for the oil wells etc.

Running them roads does take skills its not something I would attempt.

cddva
08-22-2007, 01:16 AM
Gravel Rat, where's your sense of adventure?! You know what they say.....if your not living on the edge, you're taking up too much space!
BTW, they said Hugh (of Ice Road Truckers fame) runs an excavation business as his full time gig......

Gravel Rat
08-22-2007, 02:06 AM
I don't have a CDL to drive a tractor trailer just a tandem axle dump.

Not a adventurist person :laugh:

I watched some shows on the discovery channel about them hauling on the frozen tundra and ice roads not a nice job.

JDSKIDSTEER
08-22-2007, 07:40 AM
I don't have a CDL to drive a tractor trailer just a tandem axle dump.

Not a adventurist person :laugh:

I watched some shows on the discovery channel about them hauling on the frozen tundra and ice roads not a nice job. When I grow up I want to be an Ice Road trucker..... That is a cool show.

SiteSolutions
08-23-2007, 12:59 AM
When I grow up I want to be an Ice Road trucker..... That is a cool show.

Let's go in halfsies on a good kenworth and kiss this 100 degree weather goodbye for a couple months! I could make 2 months pay in about 2 months of that!

seriously, if I was single and already lived almost next door to that place I would be up there in a minute, just for a season at least.

RockSet N' Grade
08-23-2007, 10:36 AM
If I was younger and single, or just single.......I would do it. Heck, I've been a coal miner in a shaft mine........risk/reward is a whole lot better drivin' on ice than digging the heart out of mother earth, see new country.........life is an adventure.............GR grab those walnuts, give them a hard squeeze and go for it! You could do one season, make a bank roll and change your life.....OR, die and be no worse off than you are now.........

JDSKIDSTEER
08-23-2007, 06:07 PM
Let's go in halfsies on a good kenworth and kiss this 100 degree weather goodbye for a couple months! I could make 2 months pay in about 2 months of that!

seriously, if I was single and already lived almost next door to that place I would be up there in a minute, just for a season at least.
I will be ready in the morning....It hit 105 today.

grassmanvt
08-23-2007, 06:34 PM
I will be ready in the morning....It hit 105 today.

Holy crap! On the other side of the spectrum, we had a chance of a frost two nights this week and I think a couple places in the northern part of the state did have one. Frost in August isn't the norm even around here.

AWJ Services
08-23-2007, 06:41 PM
It hit 105 today.

I live south of Atlanta and this is the third straight week of 100+ temps.
It is so hot it is making Bermuda turn brown in a weeks time without water.

RockSet N' Grade
08-23-2007, 08:15 PM
We have the heat goin' on too, except we have no humidity. But to make up for lack of humidty the bottom half of the state is burning up.......so we have smoke instead of humidity. It has been 100-106 here for 3 plus weeks running. One truck driver I use suffered heat stroke two times in that time period........maybe he had the heater on instead of the air conditioner...I don't know.........we are all fried here..........even the birds here are looking for shade and hold their wings out to stay cool..........its a cooker....

Gravel Rat
08-23-2007, 09:55 PM
Its been the worst summer we have seen in years very little sun only in August we have had some summer the months leading up to it have been horrible. Rain more Rain.

SiteSolutions
08-24-2007, 12:06 AM
GR - Since you can't find work, seal up the bed of that truck and bring some of that rain down here. There's a lot of folks down here that can't water their lawns.

JD - it has been so hot for so long I am beginning to not even notice. We have had zero or one out of two air conditioners working at the house since a week before the temps went through the roof. The newer one quit (downstairs), then the older one (upstairs). We fixed the newer one for around a hundred bucks, needed a new wire run to the thermostat was all. the older one needs a compressor but I think I would rather replace the whole thing. Anyway, I was just in the house and it is finally getting down to around 80 degrees downstairs. Still a little warm upstairs.

At least Eddie is benefitting from this heat; I am buying a lot more ice, water, and cold drinks from him.

SiteSolutions
08-24-2007, 12:10 AM
We have the heat goin' on too, except we have no humidity. But to make up for lack of humidty the bottom half of the state is burning up.......so we have smoke instead of humidity. It has been 100-106 here for 3 plus weeks running. One truck driver I use suffered heat stroke two times in that time period........maybe he had the heater on instead of the air conditioner...I don't know.........we are all fried here..........even the birds here are looking for shade and hold their wings out to stay cool..........its a cooker....

Yeah, y'all started getting way hot a week or two before it came to visit us. (I noticed because my brother spent the whole summer in Utah for work.) Humidity is a killer, though. Even 90 feels miserable if you're out working in the sun and can't get anything done because you can't see for all the sweat in your eyes. Your shirt is wet from top to bottom so not much help for wiping off your face.

I never thought I would look forward to a little rain as much as I do right now.

Gravel Rat
08-24-2007, 01:04 AM
I don't know they say global warming and this is one of the worst weather years in a long time. Our lakes where the drinking water comes from hasn't even dropped this year. There is no sprinking regulations this year.

The weather has hurt the tourism this year a little bit too.

SiteSolutions
08-24-2007, 07:50 AM
I don't know they say global warming and this is one of the worst weather years in a long time. Our lakes where the drinking water comes from hasn't even dropped this year. There is no sprinking regulations this year.

The weather has hurt the tourism this year a little bit too.

Yeah, why do they refer to things as "100 year flood" or "50 year flood", etc...? Every now and then the weather does something different. A little over 100 years ago, it was this hot down here in August. I hope it's another 100 years till it happens again. If weather wasn't nutty sometimes, how would we appreciate good weather?

JDSKIDSTEER
08-24-2007, 10:24 AM
Yeah, why do they refer to things as "100 year flood" or "50 year flood", etc...? Every now and then the weather does something different. A little over 100 years ago, it was this hot down here in August. I hope it's another 100 years till it happens again. If weather wasn't nutty sometimes, how would we appreciate good weather? They said 1952 was the last heat wave around here like this. I wonder what they called it then. DUH.... A HEAT WAVE....not global warming.....This may be God's way of the end ......who knows.

Gravel Rat
08-24-2007, 02:30 PM
I was watching the news and commercial fisherman are seeing fish that shouldn't be in the cold waters of the West Coast so anything from Oregon to the southern tip of Alaska. This one fish is normally found in the waters of Hawaii not here. That can't be good news :eek:

Construct'O
08-24-2007, 03:45 PM
Yeah, why do they refer to things as "100 year flood" or "50 year flood", etc...? Every now and then the weather does something different. A little over 100 years ago, it was this hot down here in August. I hope it's another 100 years till it happens again. If weather wasn't nutty sometimes, how would we appreciate good weather?

We had 2 1/2 inches of wind and rain yesterday and 4 to 5 inches of rain last night!!!!;)

So just keep wishing it will happen sooner or later.

Wish:dancing: i could send you down some water.Hope you will at least cool off soon.Next thing on my list will be i wish it wasn't so cold:dizzy:

Good luck:drinkup:

leaflandscape
08-24-2007, 03:51 PM
They've been calling for a record breaking hot summer, and we haven't really seen that here, but there were a couple of days where humidity turned 36 degrees Celsius to 44. I think we've gone through 20 bottles of 50 spf sunscreen this year, and you know how beautifully stonedust sticks to sweat and sunscreen.

JDSKIDSTEER
08-24-2007, 04:23 PM
Cool wave today only 99, but man it is humid. Demoed mulcher at 1:30 this afternoon.....to hot for that....Good news is T320 is running hot.

Fieldman12
08-24-2007, 07:18 PM
We cannot complain too much here. It has been around 88 to 100 degrees here for the past couple weeks. We have been a little shy on rain the last few weeks. We got about 7 tenths a few days ago and its suppose to rain Saturday. Even though with 7 tenths as hot as its been it just dried right up. I was out running the skid steer earlier and it was like a dust bowl. I got a good dirt bath today. :) We started off this year with no rain but lucky for us we usually start planting season a few weeks later than the county over. It worked out ok for us at most of our farms because by the time we got every thing planted it has rained almost every week. Our newest farm that is about 30 minutes away did not get near as much rain. The corn looks okay there but could be better. After it got side dressed it never rained a whole lot. I think overall out crops and everything is okay.

JDSKIDSTEER
08-24-2007, 07:45 PM
I think this is the worst year for farming ever here. We had a freeze that killed every thin after a early warm spell. Cotton is being hit hard with heat wave. No hay for the cows. Corn, beans, weat, apples and peaches are not going to do much if anything. Lawn mower sales are near nothing this year because the grass is dead. Anything green we sell is hurting this year.

Fieldman12
08-24-2007, 08:19 PM
Im sorry to hear that. I know how you feel. We had that I think back in 2001 here. The crops made next to nothing. It was the worst I had ever saw in my life time for us.That is one of the bad things about farming. There is allot of things you cannot control.

SiteSolutions
08-25-2007, 01:06 AM
Cool wave today only 99, but man it is humid. Demoed mulcher at 1:30 this afternoon.....to hot for that....Good news is T320 is running hot.

Was it for that developer guy who has been buying those up? Did the 320 have the forestry package? It ran hot when you tried to run the high flow under continous load, right? If I was going to get into mulching (which looks like a lot of fun but probably real expensive and not real steady) I would have a Supertrak machine and no other. They are specifically engineered for running that sort of duty cycle in high heat.

http://www.supertrak.com

Check out the SK140TR, a Cat 287 B with 140 hp! and beefed up hydraulics and cooling to go with it. Or for half a mil or so, get the converted 953 loader with like 400 hp. I bet that thing would <insert over-the-top metaphor here>!!! I bet they will do a C series cab now that they are out and that would be a good clean cab for that work, IF you could keep an undercarriage under it.

Bad @SS!!!

The Cowin guy can get the converted takeuchi model; dunno if he can get the Cat or if you have to drive down to Florida and pick one up?

JDSKIDSTEER
08-25-2007, 07:36 AM
Yes,,,,They already have a CT332 for dirt work and love it. We did well against them in the Demo. If we had joy stick they would have never bought the Bobcat. The man money man and I are related, but his big feet barley fit where our foot pedals are. Yes the T320 it did have the forrestry package. They were already having problems with the T300 over heating. It is pretty rough trying to cool a 37 GPM machine with a 18 gallon resivior. The Deere is 32 GPM and seems to run cooler and with the magnum head it seems to perform as well as the Bobcat Fecon Head except cooler. I have customers running them with and without the oil cooler option and no problems to date with overheating complaints. Bobcat dealer has realy upset this guys partner in the past and since he and his crew like the Deere and will be running the new machine I have a chance to sell him mine. I have a better two year warranty also. We compared them in writing yesterday. I like super track, but they have no product support in our area. Oh, In the 2 hours they ran side by side they developed some kind of leak on the T320.

Fieldman12
08-26-2007, 01:26 AM
I was thinking about the new Deere machines today. Since they have changed the color of the booms on the backhoe,excavator, and wheel loaders to the dark gray/black color I wondered if they would be changing that on the new Deere skid steers/Ctl's. I like the new color scheme. I assume there is a new series of Deere skids in the work's since they will have pilots? I know they would not have to offer it in a new series but some how I felt it would be more fitting. The new color scheme may make it look like a New Holland allot though.

Fieldman12
08-26-2007, 01:27 AM
Oh, by the way I love the looks of the new 9030 series Deers and 9070 series combines.

Fieldman12
08-26-2007, 01:29 AM
I spelled Deere wrong.

JDSKIDSTEER
08-26-2007, 09:19 AM
They do look pretty good. I hope farming is not bad everywhere. It is realy going to hit us hard. This will be second bad year in a row. On the upside we had rain two nights in a row. I am thankful all I sell is the CWP products now. Not quite as busy as last year, which I ended upn in the hospital....but stready which I like much better.

murray83
08-26-2007, 12:25 PM
To get this thread back on track the best way to keep a small business going is to learn to adapt to conditions and be a jack of all trades.

I only run my business part time and its all word of mouth,but I've adapted to do anything I can with a backhoe if it can be done I will attempt it no questions asked as long as they are willing to pay mind you.As with many on here they also adapted to fit a niche market and ran with it,honestly junk removal never sounded like a profit making business with a 30 thousand dollar truck maybe you need to find a niche market that can be done part time and with minimal overhead as possible so you can keep your job on the ferry since if all else fails at lest you have an income.

leaflandscape
08-26-2007, 04:19 PM
You're right about adapting to conditions when the time comes, but for us the trick has been to pick one thing we're good at and trying not to do much else. We've been landscaping for years, but recently I've found that hardscapes are a facet of the industry a lot of guys avoid, and therefore we make good money providing a much needed service. You also want to key in on a target demographic, and that's why we only do homeshows and are referred by stoneyards. If you're in the paper, anybody will call.

Gravel Rat
08-26-2007, 05:51 PM
The local economy is about to crash like a jumbo jet pretty quickly. The tourist industry has taken a decent hit to their work because of the poor summer weather. New housing starts are down it may go back to what it was in the 90s with 2-3 houses built in a year.

So many guys jumped into the excavation business thinking they are going to strike it rich may end up loosing their shirt. There are more mini excavation companies than ever. Half of them I don't know who in the h*ll they are.

Talking to a owner operator yesterday I have known him for years we were talking about gravel trucks and how many are in the area. There are double maybe tripple the amount of trucks than there was back in 2002. Everybody again jumping on the bandwagon flooded the market with trucks sure they were all busy in the peak of the boom they won't be now.

The P+D work has dropped off to nothing it was busy for 3-4 years the transport companies that service the area couldn't keep up now they can't keep their guys working.

The Landscaping business in my community back in 2002 it was pretty much just me and 2 other guys that did landscaping. It was a starvation business I had to get out of it. Top wage which I was getting back in 2002 with me and a chainsaw or tools was 20 dollars per hour.

I always had trucking jobs they were not aways steady but back from 1995 to 2002 the only jobs around were 8.50 per hour to 10.00 and trucking was 25 dollars per hour with a 1 ton truck. Todays rate is 50 per hour for a 1.5 ton truck because the cost of fuel etc. Fuel alone is 1.05 a litre (3.70 US Gallon US Funds). Tires have gone up 225/19.5 rubber for the truck is almost 300 dollars US funds per tire. Oil change on the 6.0 is 100 dollars. If I run a gasser truck cost of fuel is 3.90 a gallon.

Not many niche markets anymore I used to have one ie rubbish removal as I was the only contractor that used to do it. Some of these landscapers with P/U trucks will do it cheaper than I can they are not even making a profit.

No demand for skid steer work the one contractor that has a CTL is looking for work for his machine. Rubber tired backhoes get very little work one contractor does but he is a owner operator with 30 years experience and can perform miricles with a backhoe he gets 90% of the work.

Single axle dump trucks spend 90% of the time parked because the tandem axles can do 100% of the jobs even delivering 1 yard of material.

The market I used to serve delivering lumber that dropped off I was getting some dirt hauling when I had a 1 ton dump. The lumber hauling was good but it was fairly tough labour instensive work loading and unloading the truck by hand. Home owners now so strapped for cash because they are so far into debt now they don't want to pay me 100 dollars to deliver a load of lumber so they try do it with a P/U truck themselves by putting a illegal size load in the truck.

I don't know what niche market is left so I'am sticking with the gov't job for now. Like they say what goes up has to come down and the economy rose so fast and high now its on a free fall it is not gradual. This boom there was lots of money spent lots of people very deep into debt and I mean deep. Some people might loose everything they own they put all their eggs into one basket.

Developers only had one thing on their mind was to cash in on the 1 million dollar buyers. Pushed realestate so high that cheap building lots don't exist so that killed the house construction. A familly that makes a average 70 grand a year can't afford to build a house anymore. You don't even dream of buying a house on a 30 grand a year job like I have.

Developers are looking for the baby boomers with the big bank accounts. Nothing in the area is to create work its build houses for retired people. Retired people create no industry younger generation creates industry and now its at the point the younger generation can't afford to live in the community they were raised in. The guys my age building these houses will won't beable to afford to buy a house in the area. The cost of the houses is more than their wages can afford. They are building themselves out of the area.

A 1000 square foot house costs 150,000 dollars to build and thats the cheapest. A cheap lot for 100,000 usually needs major work before you can build on it ie a very expensive septic system that will run 40 grand. The property usually is swampy or it needs 30-40 grand worth of excavating to make it flat. Engineers love the cheap lots its a license to steal they can charge a extra 10 grand.

I don't know but its happening all over B.C. Baby Boomers don't really give a crap around their kids future. They are pushing the realestate market up sky high. A average job can't cut it to buy a house. The baby boomers that are developers are cashing in on the money. The boomers that are in the job market are not retiring making spaces for the guys like me to get jobs. Getting a job with a excavation contractor is next to impossible a labourer job is part time temporary. Some boomers can't retire because they can't afford to. Most are in it to cash in make as much money as they can while the boom is happening. Most contractors are baby boomers themselves so once the work has ended most of them will retire. They have nobody to pass the company down to so they will just sell everything off.

Excavation contractors have no want to train anybody so thats killing the jobs. The average age of a equipment operator in the area is 50 the youngest I know of is 26 not many like him most are in the 40s and 50s and most are close to 60.

grassmanvt
08-26-2007, 06:32 PM
Well maybe the govt' job is best for you but I just don't know of I can believe the severity of the economy there. For sure there are some down trends but I still see that as leveling off and coming to reality more than complete disparity. You make it sound as though everything is gone and the tumble weeds are rolling by. Also, with an older population trend from what I seem to be picking up on from what you say, sounds like more service jobs taking care of/ providing services for a generally older population. Doing things they can't or don't want to do anymore. Learn to make lemonade with lemons, then sell the lemonade. Don't just say ah these lemons might go bad and throw em' over the bank. A positive attitude goes a long way. Or, just be happy you have a good job and be content with it, but, theres no need to try to convince everyone that the sky is falling.

ProLandscapes
08-26-2007, 11:13 PM
One Word "diversify"!

RockSet N' Grade
08-26-2007, 11:23 PM
I just consulted with my psychic advisor - Chicken Little. Mr Little told me and I quote " The sky is falling! The sky is falling! " I also checked my Ouiji board and was informed the sun will once again rise in the east and set in the west. This is the plight of Mankind.........why, given the same set of circumstances and the same environment, is one successful and the other not during good times or bad? I think attitude has alot to do with setting your altitude.........and Forest Gump said "and that's all I've got to say about that".

Scag48
08-27-2007, 04:39 AM
I haven't contributed too much to this thread but I think I'll make an observation. It's obvious that since GR hasn't done anything to better himself by now he never will. Sorry man, but you remind me of all the guys and gals I went to high school with who never made it out of my home town. Here it is, 2 years after graduation and they're no better off than the last time I saw them. You can do anything you want to do you just need to do something. That's all I'm going to say. Don't complain, don't analyze, just do something. Movers and shakers make this world go 'round. A nice quote that I tend to live by these days goes like this:

"The only time success occurs before work is in the dictionary."

Not saying you're not a hard worker, but it sure doesn't sound like you're trying very hard to stick it out and make something of yourself.

Gravel Rat
08-27-2007, 05:52 AM
Not much a guy can do when everbody is out to fill their own pockets. Get developers that are not from the area move in start building 1 million to 2 million dollar houses and 800,000 dollar condo's trying to cash on boomer money. It is happening all over B.C. because the province is a nice place to live sort of like the Pacific Northwest.

Its hard to stay positive when pretty well the rich people are pushing guys like me out of a community which I have been a part of for 30 years.

Like I said there isn't much of a niche market anymore and the service industry jobs like landscaping is a tough go. Its a constant struggle for these guys to get paid. People that hire you are trying to cut your rate down. The more money the homeowner has the worse they are. The people I have worked for that never complained about my rates is the working class blue collar. The people with money is COD before I even start. Excavation contractors really have to fight to get paid. Most of the contractors are at the point now they want to get out of the business. Fighting homeowners for money is a big pain in the azz. I have been there but my bills are not in the 10 to 20 grand.

When you got a economy running on realestate and people are getting greedy wanting million dollars for a house. Some people spend 1 million dollars for a summer cabin they use for 2-3 months out of the year.

It is to the point now anybody my age will have to inherit their parents property. You need a good job to afford a 2500-3000 a month house payment and the 40,000 dollar down payment. Figure in another 3000 a year on property taxes.

Construct'O
08-27-2007, 09:44 AM
Well !!!!!!!!!! I'm glad this thread is back on track:rolleyes:

I'm getting off this rollercoaster while i have a chance:dancing:

Someone please turn it back over to the weather,this channel is just to depressing for me!

Here i thought at times i was Mr. Negative !!!!!!!!!!! ,but Gr your the winner:clapping: " heres your sign !" Good luck:walking:

JDSKIDSTEER
08-27-2007, 09:50 AM
OK, I witness news weather update. We got rain Friday night and Saturday night. Temps back in mid 90's....now I will turn it back over to sports. LOL

AWJ Services
08-27-2007, 05:02 PM
OK, I witness news weather update. We got rain Friday night and Saturday night. Temps back in mid 90's....now I will turn it back over to sports. LOL

Big news break here

" A mysterious new substance was developed today when rain and dirt came into contact today forming some sort of long forgotten substance that local legend refers too as "Mud" "

There is no way this Gravel Rat can be serious.

Gravel Rat
08-27-2007, 06:00 PM
Oh I'am not joking the community has a serious problem. Money has blinded everybody. One house sold for a million now everybody wants a million. Building lots that used to sell for 20,000 are going for 120,000. It is happening all over B.C. especially on the lower Coastal B.C. and Vancouver island. Its all about building expensive houses for the boomers with money.

It is also affecting the long time residents who have been in the area for generations. They have good chunks of property they bought them in 3 to 4 decades ago. These seniors live off of a pension now the property around them has sold for so much its pushed the property taxes sky high. Some peoples property taxes have gone from 1000-2000 a year to 5000 a year.

We have no garbage collection no sewers no street lights the roads are mostly original from when they were built in the 60s. The road I live on was built in the 60s and still has the original asphalt in most areas.

The building boom rose too fast and now its going to fall and fall hard. These developers that have sunk probably close to 100 million into clearing land etc will be hurting. You can grow that fast without something letting go and its let go.

The Alberta buyers have lots of money to spend if they want it they will buy it. For some million dollars is pocket change they will buy a house for cash.

People are selling their house for 800,000 to million in Vancouver move to the coastal parts of B.C. pushing the prices up in areas where the long term residents can't afford.

B.C. thinks its California where it can get the big prices its not working its making the split from the haves to the have nots even farther. There is no middle class anymore you either your rolling in the money or you don't.

Low interest rates and realestate hype is going to back fire like a car that needs a tune up. The banks are going to be owning lots of houses this winter. The foreclosures haven't started happening yet but its going to happen. People have 10 grand in credit card debt plus a 2000 a month mortage payment and car payments. Banks were offering 40 year mortages to lure people in to borrow money.

Like I said I will be working when many people won't. My job is gauranteed these guys in construction are taking a chance.

grassmanvt
08-27-2007, 07:01 PM
[QUOTE=My job is gauranteed these guys in construction are taking a chance.[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm just about done commenting but just had to comment on the above quote, those who take chances might loose out but some do make it. Theres nothing wrong with being in a descent comfortable job but don't blame everyone and everything around you for your fear of the unknown. Just be content with your job if thats what you want. No shame there at all. Just don't be forever making excuses.

Fieldman12
08-27-2007, 07:17 PM
There is a serious problem in allot of areas out there with the economy. I mean all you have to do is turn on a channel dealing with the stock market on tv and see what they say about house sales way down and people loosing there homes left and right. There is mortgage companies that are in serious, serious, problems out there. Not all areas have yet been affected by all this and some on here may live in those areas. My belief though it's gonna take a while for things to get back on course. I have been taking to allot of people several hours from where I live in excavating, house building and so on. Matter of fact the guy that dug our post holes said it was so slow that is why he drove over a hour and a half just to dig our post holes to have some kind of work. He has been in business for many years. Yeah you can move and for some people that is the best thing but I feel right now based on the over all economy I would first look for a cheaper area to live that has "growing" potential. You will need some money saved up if you move or a job lined up. There is no doubt about it that it will cost you money to move. Question is at the new area will you make that money back and then some on top of it to make it all worth while is what you have to ask your self. Remember, no one else knows your situation better than you. I had thought about getting in the junk hauling business before but lets face it no one wants to throw good money at junk. I have already had a few offers for me to clean up junk with my skid steer and all of them want it done for nothing. No I dont need that kind of work so passed.

Fieldman12
08-27-2007, 07:30 PM
A few others have mentioned this also and its a good point. Don't stick all your eggs in one basket. I mean by that dont trust only your job,excavating, stock market, farming, junk hauling, or what ever else you do just for money. Any day you could possible loose your one source of income. Then what are you going to do? A person I have said it many times "must" be diversified in todays economy. I have saw very good, honest, hard working people loose all most everything because they depended on one things to make them money.

dozerman21
08-27-2007, 08:31 PM
Well... if all else fails, you could always be a court reporter, seeing how you like to type the same things over and over and over and.... There's good money in that too!:hammerhead: :hammerhead: :hammerhead:

GR- You seem pretty knowledgeable in certain fields of construction, especially road tractor related, and you've answered some of my threads too. I'll try to shed a little light with some hope that it will find its way through one of the boarded up windows in your cabin.

LOVE IT OR LEAVE IT MAN!!! It's been said over and over, but you can't keep blaming the economy for your particular situation. If it's half as bad as you say, get out of Dodge or be content with your current job. It's slowed down everywhere, but we all continue to make it work somehow, someway.

Most of the guys in construction have much more than 30K invested in their company, especially in excavating. From what I've read, you're not so in over your head where you would take a huge hit on that truck. Sell it or make it work. If you were really serious about having your own company, you would make it work. If you were really serious about succeeding with your company, you would make that truck, or whatever else, grow into heavy equipment, trucking, or whatever floats your boat. Most of us on here didn't start out doing excavating or landscaping. It started with something smaller that paid less with less overhead. Through hard work and many long days, it started to pay off and lead to (in our minds) bigger and better things.

I'm not trying to come off as a prick who's just out to bash on you. I'd like to see you succeed in your career, like the others who have posted on this or any of the other countless Siamese threads. I hope some of this absorbs and doesn't just roll off. If you want to be your own boss, go for it... but there are risks involved. If you don't want that, that's fine too, but if you don't accept it, you won't be happy. Love it or leave it.

Best of luck.:usflag:

Gravel Rat
08-28-2007, 05:34 AM
A person can't be taking any chances now if you loose your job your SOL or sink yourself into debt a guy better get used to living in a tent.

When you have excavation contractors that have been in the business for 30 years and advertising for work you know its a bad sign.

Talking with another truck driver I know he is from farther up the coast its been the slowest he has ever seen it. He said to me this boom is starting to crash. Like he said his area is also turning into a retirement village.

I could have stuck it out with the excavation contractor that I was working for 1.5 years ago. I liked the job but couldn't take getting pushed all the time. I also had people I have known for years tell me stick with the gov't its a better job and you know it will be good for 30 years. I would rather be running equipment but there isn't a future in it or atleast where I live.

I worked for contractors on and off they never had steady work back in the mid 90s when I graduated highschool. Back then if you didn't have 5-10 years experience your not going to get hired it is still that way today. The only reason why I got hired was for my mechanical skills and I have skills in various jobs a jack off all trades but a master of none. I spent most of my time pulling wrenches and welding 8 hours a day. I got taught wrench pulling and welding at a early age. Got taught welding when I was 14 years old in my famillies shop.

Most employers want experienced guys and pay McDonald wages. A guy can't live off of 15 dollars per hour. You got to make minimum 20 dollars per hour. I make 21 now after taxes and my benefits taken off my pay check it drops it down to 14-15 dollars per hour.

The wages haven't kept up with the cost of living. When you make 2200 a month you pretty well live from pay check to pay check. I'am trying to save as much money as I can but its tough to live off of a grand a month.

Greenway Landscapes
09-12-2007, 11:12 PM
So move already!

You post this same thread about every month. If the well is dry, drill somewhere else.

Seriously, though, make sure you are concentrating your energy and efforts on the things you can actually do something about - your circle of influence, not on the things over which you have no control - your circle of concern. That might mean moving somewhere that has work, or selling everything and saving up for a year or two, or going to school to learn new skills.

Work here is pretty good right now, although when I end up with nothing to do for a couple days it is easy to fall into the trap of worrying or just ignoring it when I could be out doing something about what I can do. I can call people, drive around and look for stuff going on, meet new builders, or even just brainstorm about new ideas or directions to explore.

If you can handle the heat you are welcome to come down to North Alabama; there's enough for everybody down here.
What do you mean there's more than enough for everyone? How's the lawn cutting season.

Thanks,
brian

RockSet N' Grade
09-14-2007, 01:09 AM
What an incredible adventure! The make up of our population here in Utah is such that it seems they are the last ones to open their purse strings and the first ones to zip their wallet shut......It is happening right now.....I have talked with over a dozen excavators this week and their phones have all but quit ringing. There is still work out there, but it is becoming a tighter market.....This is causing me to be creative: we are doing flyers, internet, newspaper, yellowbook, just signed on an outside salesman, and doing more "mingling" with contractors and other potential clients. We are being pro-active.......and it is already paying off. Landed a 15k excavation job starting Monday and a 2k yard right after that.......not bad return for just doing our "new routine" for just over a week. Quite an exciting challenge......we are trying new things and will find out what does and does not work. Next week we are having 3"x5" postcards made out with our equipment and smiling faces and a sales blurb put on them........will try that too......So how is work in our area? Well, there is horse poop all over the place and it is getting thicker........but I know there is a Pony in there somewhere and we are gonna find 'em!

SiteSolutions
09-14-2007, 08:43 AM
What do you mean there's more than enough for everyone? How's the lawn cutting season.

Thanks,
brian

I don't cut grass myself but there are dozens of new subdivisions going in all over this area. Nearly every house in each of those subdivisions will be sold with some sort of lawn included. A lot of those lawns will require maintenance.